Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
I was just wondering what your experiences with an apple cinema display were? I do a lot of color correction graphic art stuff, and wanted to know how much the color shifts in comparison to other LCD's on the market.

What are the benefits of this LCD over others, or are there any good articles online that you can throw at me. I come from the CRT world, and would like to transition if the time is right. Thank you everyone !

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Apple makes very good LCD's. They are nice and bright, got great sharpness and no color shifts. That being said look at Formac. They make a hell of a LCD in my opinion. and remember, DONT BUY AND LCD WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT FIRST. You can check for dead pixels, lag, and all that. Your eyes are what needs to be pleased. So be sure to see the exact lcd your gonna buy before you take it home.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I think the colors are actually better on my c20" cinema display than on my 19" CRT Sony. Apple says they are SWOP certified.
Simply put, the display looks really great. :)

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Wow! Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering if there are any articles pertaining to the Cinema Display in relation to doing graphic/color work? Thank you all.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Yes, the monitors are SWOP certified, but only if you can buy a callibration tool (I think LaCie makes it). From experience, doing print work on an LCD is going to be tough if you don't have a proofer (either inkjet or other).

The CRTs could be adjusted with more precision (not only gamma and white point, but also individual RGB channel adjustment), while the LCDs beyond brightness and whitepoint compensation will not allow you to change much.

It took me a good month to get it where I could predict the outcome of a job on press, even with hardware calibration. I have to reduce the brightness to about 40% to get a close match, sort of defeating the purpose of an LCD.

But I would go for it - my eyes hurt much less and i don't get as tired as fast. BTW, did I already say I was picky? ;) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.