Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexxsf

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2005
Have you tried putting it in iPod mode first, and then connecting the charger? I read somewhere that that might work.

TydalForce

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
Philly, PA
Have you tried putting it in iPod mode first, and then connecting the charger? I read somewhere that that might work.

I saw that tip too. It doesn't work. I have this same adapter. It'll charge the iPhone, but there's no way to get audio through it like it does with the iPod.

Monster's iCarCharger is, apparently, the same. I hope someone comes up with an iPhone friendly version of these adapters very soon (or Apple software-updates the iPhone to make it work)

SamMiller0

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
San Jose, CA
I have the same problem with my Monster iPod kit. Works flawlessly with my old 1st gen nano, and my wife's mini. But when I plug in the iPhone, it says "this device is incompatible, do you want to enable Airplane mode?" And the audio only plays out of the built-in speaker.

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
pretty bummed about this myself. currently no elegant but cheap way for iPhone in the car. I guess the Belkin iPhone jack adapter is the easiest way to get audio out - but then it's just so ugly to have multiple cables when you really just need one.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
pretty bummed about this myself. currently no elegant but cheap way for iPhone in the car. I guess the Belkin iPhone jack adapter is the easiest way to get audio out - but then it's just so ugly to have multiple cables when you really just need one.

Given that there is nothing out there right now, I'd bet there are some really great products just on the horizon to fill that segment.

joony79

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
Given that there is nothing out there right now, I'd bet there are some really great products just on the horizon to fill that segment.

I'd like that very much;;; I'm so sad that apple just wants us to use more money on everything we need for the iphone;;;

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
guys, the USA Spec iPod integrator actually works with my car already and sounds a million times better than the tape adapter system I had going.

TydalForce

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
Philly, PA

Sadly, I've only ever seen the 2 or 3 "audio through the dock" adapters for the car. I would have expected a lot more! I don't get it. I do hope at least one iPhone-friendly version shows up soon.

guys, the USA Spec iPod integrator actually works with my car already and sounds a million times better than the tape adapter system I had going.

This assumes you can put one of these in your car. In my case, for example, there's no connectors on my stereo for these integration solutions to jack into. Others may be working with company cars, leases, or just don't feel like having something installed.

They're the best option, though, if it's an option for you.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I just had to replace my car's dock adapter with the NEO model (PODBMWTV1). The old one was a SoundGate. It works great. Audio fades in/out when receiving/making calls. I have it set to the "direct" mode, as the iPhone will lock out the iPod interface when in "automatic" mode (controlling through the radio). I still get track up/down control from the steering wheel, though. Note: the iPod interface remains active in either configuration.

Some equipment provides the proper sense level a particular pin, some don't. My Altec/Lansing IM3 dockable speakers work fine with the iPhone. Whether an iPod was docked or not didn't matter as far as line-out was concerned, because it has no internal speaker to disable.

edit: this unit still triggers the "not made for iPhone dock" notice, but it will timeout and leave the phone enabled if you just ignore it. Or, touch "no" to dismiss it. Perhaps NEO will address this in some future firmware update (which, according to my stereo shop, they will install free).

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I direct connected a Belkin kit to my VW a while back and have fully enjoyed using my Nano... I was looking into the Sendstation kit for my other car but have now noticed that what they say is indeed possible. No sound from my Belkin :(

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
I have the Belkin iPod car adapter and was pretty annoyed that it didn't work. However I'm even more baffled by this for the fact that my Griffin iTrip (which I hate, but the wife demanded one for her car) does work with the iPhone. Not that is too much use because of the lack of pass through on that device (the only reason I'd have my iPhone hooked into the car instead of the iPod that is there almost permanently is to charge it).

mcm30114

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2004
Belkin F8V7058-APL Not working with iPhone

same problem here -- Works fine with my Nano and 5G iPod (80G). iPhone only sees it as a charger.

Suggestion -- Go to the Belkin site and send in a Tech Support request email (go to SUPPORT, contact via email (web form)) and mention that you are having this problem.

Mike

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
same problem here -- Works fine with my Nano and 5G iPod (80G). iPhone only sees it as a charger.

Suggestion -- Go to the Belkin site and send in a Tech Support request email (go to SUPPORT, contact via email (web form)) and mention that you are having this problem.
How is that going to help? Apple have stated that not all iPod products are compatible with the iPhone and have even created a new "Works with iPhone" sticker to this end. The fact is that the Belkin Charger doesn't work with the iPhone, and this is not Belkin's fault as it was never sold as an iPhone compatible device.

The best we can get is for Belkin to release a new charger that does work with the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.