PDA

View Full Version : iFire lets you use Pro Speakers on any Mac

jimthorn
Jul 16, 2003, 05:19 PM
Griffin Technology just announced the iFire (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/index.html), which lets you use the Apple Pro Speakers on any Mac via Firewire. I've been wanting to hook Apple Pro Speakers to my iBook for a long time now, but the PowerWave was more than I needed for the job. I wanted something simple that didn't require external power. The iFire should do what I need.

rainman::|:|
Jul 16, 2003, 05:25 PM
once again, griffin to the rescue ;)

i've finally got a use for those pro speakers i have stashed away, from when my G4 died...

edit: i'll be damned, i didnt think it was possible... but directly connect iPod to Pro Speakers--

damn...

pnw

AppleMatt
Jul 16, 2003, 05:28 PM
Not bad at all, nice price too.

I suppose I'm correct in thinking though that the Mac will not detect them as Apple Pro speakers?

AppleMatt

jimthorn
Jul 16, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Not bad at all, nice price too.

I suppose I'm correct in thinking though that the Mac will not detect them as Apple Pro speakers?

You know, that's a good question.

speculation: I guess it probably only uses the Firewire for power, since it uses a mini stereo jack. As far as the Mac is concerned, you just have headphones plugged in. But then, no need for a driver, and you can use it with the iPod, or as the site says any machine. :D Hey, that's fine with me, since I just want a way to use decent speakers that don't need a power outlet (and I already have some Apple Pro's).

NavyIntel007
Jul 16, 2003, 07:47 PM
Initially i was impressed, till I realized the firewire was only for power. Oh well... guess I'll just stick with the sonnets and the iMic for now (when I go back to miami) so I can talk to my girlfriend on iChat AV (she won't be on speakerphone).

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 16, 2003, 08:26 PM
I can't imagine why anybody would use Pro Speakers unless they come bundled with the computer. You can get far better speakers by companies such as JBL and Altec Lansing for a much lower price. You can even get better speakers for less from Harmon-Kardon (the company that makes the Apple Pro Speakers).

idkew
Jul 16, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I can't imagine why anybody would use Pro Speakers unless they come bundled with the computer. You can get far better speakers by companies such as JBL and Altec Lansing for a much lower price. You can even get better speakers for less from Harmon-Kardon (the company that makes the Apple Pro Speakers).

ditto.

jimthorn
Jul 16, 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe

(1) I like the way they look. I personally think they're much more attractive than the Creatures or the Sticks.

(2) They don't need a subwoofer/amp unit and they don't need external power. This makes them portable and easy to use with a minimal amount of ugly dangling wires.

(3) I have a set with my iMac and I think they sound great. I would even potentially buy another set just for my iBook.

benixau
Jul 16, 2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by jimthorn

(2) They don't need a subwoofer/amp unit and they don't need external power.

This actually reduces the quality of the sound coming out of them. Believe me. Also, you will notice that for some users the "extra cables" you mentioned are not so much - especially PowerMac users like myself - already got lots under their, a few more for 100% better (at least) sound is nothing.

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 16, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by jimthorn
(1) I like the way they look. I personally think they're much more attractive than the Creatures or the Sticks.

(2) They don't need a subwoofer/amp unit and they don't need external power. This makes them portable and easy to use with a minimal amount of ugly dangling wires.

(3) I have a set with my iMac and I think they sound great. I would even potentially buy another set just for my iBook.

I used to think the Apple Pro Speakers looked pretty good, but now I think they're butt-ugly. Don't know what the change was.

The extra number of cables doesn't seem to make a huge difference, at least not to me. There's only two extra cables including the power cord. I've had bigger troubles before.

When I bought my iBook, the Pro Speakers cost $70. I wanted to get a set, but they won't work with the iBook (except, of course, with iFire). So I got a $40 set of Altec Lansings and the Altecs sound so much better (I've listened to both) that I can't even begin to describe it.