Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
well it sounds more like a gust of air took it away, but you never know. My toaster has been acting odd, maybe it knows something.....

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by medea
well it sounds more like a gust of air took it away, but you never know. My toaster has been acting odd, maybe it knows something.....

Yeah, I watched a story on the daily show about a talking toaster, they partner together and... well you know...
Originally posted by P-Worm
Just in time for Terminator: Rise of the Machines.

P-Worm

I was thinkins such as well.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
This is where we find the silver lining in Microsoft's dominance of the computer landscape: we never have to worry about our machines being smarter than humans, or invulnerable to attack.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by FriarTuck
This is where we find the silver lining in Microsoft's dominance of the computer landscape: we never have to worry about our machines being smarter than humans, or invulnerable to attack.

Ah, that's until the machines start making their own machines - that's when things get interesting...

There was another incident of a robot *escaping*

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_611290.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

good stuff :D

D

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
Hmmmmm, both robots escaped from the SAME research facility. Do robots have the same rights as humans and animals and do these escapes indicate that they are being treated inhumanely? Should we "save the robots?"

:)

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by phrancpharmD
Hmmmmm, both robots escaped from the SAME research facility. Do robots have the same rights as humans and animals and do these escapes indicate that they are being treated inhumanely? Should we "save the robots?"

:)

Are we going to debate robot rights? :D My question is how does the robotic plane know where it can and can't land?

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, that's until the machines start making their own machines - that's when things get interesting...

D
hmm same Magna center for both articles, I thought the quote at the end of that last article was amusing. "But there's no need to worry, as although they can escape they are perfectly harmless and won't be taking over just yet."

Just yet eh?

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
So the prophetic visions of Short Circuit are coming to pass! Johnny five alive! Johnny five alive!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by medea
hmm same Magna center for both articles, I thought the quote at the end of that last article was amusing. "But there's no need to worry, as although they can escape they are perfectly harmless and won't be taking over just yet."

Just yet eh?

Yeah, doomsday, terminator and all - the potential is there for some serious crap - I just hope things don't ever get out of hand....:(

All it takes is one individual trying an *experiment* that doesn't go quite the way they planned and you've got problems. This goes for biotech, nanotech as well...

D

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
Yeah, doomsday, terminator and all - the potential is there for some serious crap - I just hope things don't ever get out of hand....:(

All it takes is one individual trying an *experiment* that doesn't go quite the way they planned and you've got problems. This goes for biotech, nanotech as well...

D

Speaking of which. Has anyone here read Michael Crichton's "Prey"? Its a good read dealing with the possibility of nano/biotech gone wrong.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.

D

BTW, I wrote that story, its faked. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kid Red
How does cowardly robots running for there lives equal doom for us?

Their Adapting.
What? What do you mean Adapting?
(If you know where that is from :) )

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
Originally posted by MrMacman
Their Adapting.
What? What do you mean Adapting?
(If you know where that is from :) )

I know that quote just can't place the movie...

They're adapting... hmm... best guess is Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.