PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing a router

BodaciousBBQ
Jul 16, 2003, 06:57 PM
I get my 1st mac tomorrow --- a 14" iBook. I'll be putting in an AirPort ( extreme, if the iBook will take one ). I also have a PC that I want to use on this router, but not wirelessly. I use Verizon DSL service. Can anybody recommend a good router for this? And what might that cost? Thanks.

Kwyjibo
Jul 16, 2003, 07:16 PM
ibooks cannot do airport extreme, you can only do 802.11b wirless networking or regualr airport. I have a similar setup where I have my ibook on wireless and two family pc's wired in one room. I'm assuming oyu want to share an internet connection. I have a netgear mr314 and it does an excellent job. One of my friends uses a linksys router which also does a nice job. I suggest you get an 802.11b router instead of an 802.11g because if you get the g your paying for power you don't need and cant use basically. I would also not get an airport, i know its cool to support apple but simialr and sometimes better ranged 802.11b routers are around or less than $100...they also have more ports incase you want to add more computers....also check to see if it has an external antenna port incase you want to add bigger range inthe future

ZildjianKX
Jul 16, 2003, 08:08 PM
Get the Netgear WGR614 802.11g router... it outperforms the Airport Xtreme basestation in wireless performance, and you can get it for around $110 USD. :)