PDA

View Full Version : Buy.com's new download Music service is dubbed 'iMusic' (...

MacBytes
Jul 16, 2003, 07:00 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Buy.com's new download Music service is dubbed 'iMusic' (launch on July 22nd) (http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/2235911)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Royal Pineapple
Jul 16, 2003, 07:30 PM
I cant beleive they actually called it iMusic, that is a stick in the eye of iTMS if i ever saw one, i hope iTMS for windows comes out soon and shows em whos boss :D

medea
Jul 16, 2003, 07:53 PM
That is so lame, I mean ok your competing with Apple, but why bite the name. If you want to impress people try being a little original.

innervision
Jul 16, 2003, 07:59 PM
i think this should be dubbed 'the Microsoft Syndrome' - balatantly ripping off Apple's ideas

MrMacMan
Jul 16, 2003, 08:42 PM
Lame, apple should sue them.

Freg3000
Jul 16, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Lame, apple should sue them.

I think they should too. But can they really claim the rights to the lower case prefix letter I? :confused:

nickmcghie
Jul 16, 2003, 08:58 PM
wow that's amazing.. i could never have thought of a less original name myself! how do they do it??

Jerry Spoon
Jul 16, 2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
I think they should too. But can they really claim the rights to the lower case prefix letter I? :confused:
iDunno:rolleyes:

paulypants
Jul 16, 2003, 10:12 PM
OMG!!
I just pissed myself!
there is gotta be a way to sue
them because it's the same type of service as itunes and when ITMS
is made for windoze they will be
directly competing

please let them get sued
pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaassee

nagromme
Jul 16, 2003, 10:17 PM
They must want to make SURE every article about them in the press also mentions that Apple did it first and better!

The article answers one question, though: Windows Media is what they're using for copy protection.

pEZ
Jul 16, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
They must want to make SURE every article about them in the press also mentions that Apple did it first and better!

The article answers one question, though: Windows Media is what they're using for copy protection.

And that's the ultimate downfall of this service, at least for people who know about formats. Nobody likes a closed format. I know, iTunes uses AAC which is a closed format as well, but it's by far more fluid than WMA - try to splice two WMA clips together and then try the same with AAC - you'll hate WMA too.

And as for the name, all I have to say is :o

solvs
Jul 17, 2003, 07:46 AM
That's terrible. I don't think Apple can sue them for using the "i", but they could try. Use an injuction against them to delay it's release. It's kind-of Micro$oftian, but it might work. Then again, after people use the service and find it lacking, especially when most of them can just use P2Ps instead, it'll probably just fail on it's own.

In my experiances, WMA sux. AAC is much nicer, and there is actually a lot more you can do with it. WinAmp already supports some AAC files.

Apple may not have been first, but they seem to be the best. Like the iPod, the GUI, the personal computer, etc.

Ananna
Jul 17, 2003, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately, I think the RIAA will prefer the WMA format to the AAC protected format. The game has just begun.

Captnroger
Jul 17, 2003, 08:41 AM
Honest that is the lamest thing next to Gateway's ads against the iMac.

iThinkAppleHasSomethingwithITMS
iThinkWeShouldDoTheSame
iThinkWeShouldCallItiMusic
iThinkWeWillMakeLotsOfMoney
iThinkIWillBuyAnIsland
iThinkIWillFillTheIslandWithLotsOfHotBabes
iBeer
iPinaColadas
iDrunk :D

I'm all for anything that will help drive the cost of music down. .99 a song rocks compared to buying the entire album.

Java
Jul 17, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by nickmcghie
wow that's amazing.. i could never have thought of a less original name myself! how do they do it??

I hope that this service falls flat on their faces. I am curious to see who exactly they have signed up.

vniow
Jul 17, 2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
Nobody likes a closed format. I know, iTunes uses AAC which is a closed format as well,

AAC isn't a closed format, its the audio component to the MPEG-4 standard which is recognized by many many more companies than just Apple and more than MS, WMA just gets more attention because Microsoft is well....pretty much everywhere...

MacFan25
Jul 17, 2003, 06:58 PM
iMusic?

How creative!?

:rolleyes: :p

Anyway, I think its going to be interesting to see if this will be as sucessful as iTMS was in it first weeks.

pretentious
Jul 18, 2003, 01:29 AM
Oh please... 'iMusic' is a direct take off of 'iTunes', it's even more so than 'Lindows' and 'Windows' (at least iTunes wasn't a generic word at any point).
I hope Buy.com is up to date on their Legal fees because AppleLegal is going to have a grand old party with them ::envisioning scenes and words that I would never post under the V-chip::