PDA

View Full Version : Return Policy?

Marble
Jul 16, 2003, 07:18 PM
I was hoping to purchase a new Aluminum 15" Powerbook today, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Either way, my parents, who are buying this for my college education, are tired of me saying "it'll be updated soon - really soon!" I am going to buy the 8-month old titanium model.

I have, however, heard mention of an elusive return policy that Apple offers for customers that have purchased an item just before its update. Does this exist? Can someone point it out to me? Does this offer extend through retailers such as MacMall?

If I even have a saving grace left of getting an updated model, I'd like to know. I need to choose, NOW.

Gus
Jul 16, 2003, 07:25 PM
Apparently there is a clasue in Apple's purchase agreement that allows for a 14 day reimbursement for an updated model. This means that if you buy the PBook today, and within 14 days they update it with a new, better one, you can pay the difference for the new one, and get the new one. Call Apple and double check this, as I only know of 2 people that have actually done this.

Regards,
Gus

Kwyjibo
Jul 16, 2003, 08:42 PM
i woudl give your parents a date like "august 1st" and say that by then you wil ldecide what machine you want. I don't know when your leaving but if the update the 15" it may take a few weeks or mothns to ship especially if theres a complete re-design...these are all hings to think about but honestly i wouldn't buy a computer and put all your hope in the reutrn policy because 15 days later your gonna be really po'd ..I say set a date the tibook is 8months and 2 weeks old I assume its going to be assimialted to the alubooks update schedule but who knows maybe new pbs won't be seen this that paris expo

Schiffi
Jul 16, 2003, 09:14 PM
Come on! Geez, go ahead and get a Ti! Even if it is updated, it won't be awefully quicker than the current model. People underestimate the power of this machine. I see it as the model with the greatest advantage due to it being the last model to boot into OS9. Even if the 15 is updated, what? you get AE, BT, and DDR? You can upgrade the current models by use of 3rd party BT and 802.11g cards. In fact, since an external 802.11g card is external, it'll get the best reception of any book, power or i. DDR, IMO, is overrated anyway. If you want the 'latest and greatest' get a desktop as those can be upgraded easier than laptops. What kind of activities do you do that require DDR as opposed to SDR? I can render in Premiere, use X-Chat, recieve mail, use Safari, and download files with Download wizard all at the same time with the current Ti. Why would you need a faster computer anyway?

Marble
Jul 16, 2003, 10:39 PM
I want something that will perform well performing many tracks of audio and MIDI in Logic, and something with enough VRAM to play the next generation of games well. I am, as I mentioned, going to college - and portability is very important to me. This is why I hesitate to purchase the 12" model. Understandable?

I *don't* want something that I have heard has issues with chipping paint, its opening mechanism, and poor airport reception. I would rather not pay extra for another wifi card that sticks out (hence the appeal of the powerbook) - but I will if it's a problem.

I don't have a problem with the RAM. I simply want something that will last, and I want to get my money's worth for a computer that will have to last me for four years.

Now...does anyone know the particulars about that return policy? Had first-hand experience with it?

Kwyjibo
Jul 16, 2003, 11:13 PM
Ok again the bottom line is don't count on it! Apple does not like to take items you purcahsed back...they will if you fight them maybe but its no gurantee...most pople here flop downthe money for the machine knowing all the risk quite well (there are no good 15" pbook rumors right now...) and deal with whatever happens after that..I've heard of apple offering rebates sepcially after line price drops but i've never heard of much more except for people returning the old model accepting the 15% restoking fee and buyingthe new machine.

ZildjianKX
Jul 16, 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Schiffi
Come on! Geez, go ahead and get a Ti! Even if it is updated, it won't be awefully quicker than the current model.

Well, if its a 1.3 GHz with the new Motorola processor, supposively it can be as much as 40% faster than the 1 GHz TiBook... which is about right in the computer world for 8 months.

Are you going to be buying the PB with your student discount? Tell your parents you'll just pick it up when college starts, which will be in late August at the earliest I presume (I start early Oct).

Abstract
Jul 17, 2003, 01:52 AM
1. Yes, take advantage of the student discount. You may as well save money.

2. You won't be able to play the next generation games, or this generation for that matter, "well" on a 1GHz G4 laptop. Actually, laptops generally don't play games well, but I'm sure some of them do if they're fast enough.

3. I would wait as long as I can if you need it for school. Wait for school and take advantage of the discount (tell your parents this to get them off your back), and hope that the new G4's come out in September, and I think they will sometime between now and mid-September.

4. I hear their return policy is 10 days to return after a product update, not 14 days, although I could be wrong.

Captnroger
Jul 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
#1 - order from Amazon. They have $100 rebate right now on PB which will equal your student discount

#2 - Amazon has a 30-day return policy, with no restock fee :D

Marble
Jul 17, 2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, chaps.

Phatpat
Jul 17, 2003, 03:38 PM
Plus amazon won't charge you sales tax, which can get quite hefty on a powerbook purchase