Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I know first time this been asked. Used sites like NoSpec on this subject of not low balling and getting screwed over.

I work for a corporate company as graphic designer and another department asked me to do a concept piece on a fast turn around. They need it for a presentation and the person who originally did the designs ditch the job.

I meet with the person to discuss objective, my price and the hours needed for this project. Since this is a freelance I am using my personal computer and not my departments since I do not want problems (HR), told her that to avoid problems.
We talked payments and she wants the invoice to her name and she will submit it to payroll but I think she meant accounting since I am a freelance and not her employee. I will make point of that in my email to her.

Then I told her I will e-mail the piece for review to her either tonight or tomorrow morning, as I said it, " I want you to see it at least day before to review, give changes and help you get ready for that presentation on Thursday."

So my question is my first time freelancing done professionally or did I make mistakes?

Thank you

Addendum: She emailed me all the information and artwork I may need, but since she never gave me creative brief just to say what she wants and proof for me to say "This is what you told me". I did a creative brief but set as "Are we on the same understanding on this project"

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Hard to judge because there are so many variables involved in your situation. Since this is someone you work with, you are pretty much gauranteed payment etc.

In future, when dealing with clients you do not work with or have any kind of relationship with, it is best to do up a formal quote/estimate. Included in the estimate should be your hours and any other costs associated with the project. Below the pricing you should list your Business and Payment terms - ie. how many revisions are included in the price, 50% payment upfront and then once project is completed the remaining 50% must be received before final deliverables are released etc. etc. Always have the client sign the quote/estimate, this will act as your legal contract.

Other then that, the process you have sounds like it worked out well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.