PDA

View Full Version : ATI Announces Retail 9800 Pro

CaVoLo
Jul 16, 2003, 09:21 PM
ATI announced the Retail version of their Radeon 9800 Pro and 9600.

This is great news for me. I am able to get my future computer (PowerMac G5) at a discounted price but i wasnt able to upgrade certain parts of the computer. This video card was the only reason i was gonna go to apple and pay them 300 bucks extra for this dumb card.

Now i can get the computer and the card discounted!! CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY POWERMAC!! 7-10 weeks shipping date

MacsRgr8
Jul 17, 2003, 01:57 AM
Yep.

Un<********>believable:
I just (yesterday) bought a GeForce 4 Ti for my Dual 1.25, assured the 9700 will never come as a retail, and the 9800 sometime next year or so (rant).
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I woke up this morning, read the xlr8yormac.com news about the 9800 retail being available NOW, and banged my head against my desk about 10 times. If I would have known, I would have never bought the overpriced GeForce! Sure, it's a gr8 card (well, to be honest it's only slightly faster than the standard 9000 Pro), but it's the same price as the 9800, which is by far the better card!
Just my cr*ppy luck. Hope I can return the GeForce....

maradong
Jul 17, 2003, 05:17 AM
who s gonna buy that card anyway ?
what about a nice, fresh pc card and flashing it ?

solvs
Jul 17, 2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by maradong
who s gonna buy that card anyway ?
what about a nice, fresh pc card and flashing it ?

Because flashing PC cards is a pain in the butt, if you can even do it (which sometimes you can't). And because the retail version is the same price as the PC retail version, at the same speed. I'm sure you can find cheaper cards based on the 128MB 9800, and some based on the 256MB, but why bother? To save a couple of bucks?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 17, 2003, 06:59 AM
This was posted in the MacBytes forum...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=32373

D