PDA

View Full Version : How do you save emai to the hard drivel?

burritos
Jul 16, 2003, 11:54 PM
My isp is stating that my mailbox is too full. I tried dragging my saved email to the harddrive, but when I try to open them up, I get a ready to send email with an attachment that I can't figure how to open.

funkywhat2
Jul 17, 2003, 12:03 AM
What email client do you use?

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2003, 12:15 AM
Or are you in a web browser when you access your e-mail?

rainman::|:|
Jul 17, 2003, 12:40 AM
I'm guessing you're using a client, rather than a web-based interface... If so, the emails are already on your computer (wherever your mail client puts them, probably in a format only it can read), but duplicates reside on the mail server. Somewhere in the preferences you should find an option for "remove mail from server when deleted locally" or "erase read messages from server". In Mail, it's in Preferences -> Accounts -> Your account -> Advanced. Not sure exactly where it is on other clients. Enable this and the client *should* delete most of the messages on the server. If you continue to have problems afterwords, or need more help on this step, let us know--

pnw

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2003, 01:39 AM
If you don't continue to have problems, let us know that too. I can't sleep well at night when another MacRumors member is suffering. Seriously, it would help others who encounter this problem to know if the setting suggested by paulwhannel does correct the problem.

burritos
Jul 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
I use the mailbrowser of OS X and my isp is adelphia cable. I get a weekly email saying that my server is getting full. I followed the recommendations from pnw and after the 'advanced tab' option I chose the email to be 'removed from my server weekly'. Should it be done 'right away?' Also I have my email sent to both my computer and my wife's Tibook. We share the same email account. Would this make a difference?

joker2
Jul 17, 2003, 09:10 AM
Do both you and your wife use your computers daily? If so, change the setting to "after one day" otherwise, keeping it on "after one week" should be fine. How much e-mail do you receive in a week's time? My guess is that there is probably one or two e-mails on the server (within that week timeframe) that have attachments that are taking up your allotted space.

To temporarily fix the problem, make sure that she has all of the messages on her machine, and then go to that advanced tab that paulwhannel described, and click the "remove now" button.

After doing this and if you still have the problem, don't hesitate to call adelphia's support. The tech support people are generally helpful.

burritos
Jul 17, 2003, 09:37 AM
will do and if anything else comes up I'll let you know.

zuffen
Jul 17, 2003, 09:55 AM
is there a mac based utility or mail program that will let me bulk archive my mail to a text file.

I used to use netscape communicator and would save the user info every six months or so

played around with eudora

then I went to entourage

all the programs will let you save one email at a time but not a mass saving or a folder.

I'm on several list servs for Windows media, fcp etc and the info is something I want to save

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by zuffen
is there a mac based utility or mail program that will let me bulk archive my mail to a text file.I think Mail Scripts (http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Mail_Scripts.html) will do this.

zuffen
Jul 17, 2003, 12:39 PM
thanks I'll give it a try when I upgrade to OSX...gasp I know

I've been waiting to buy a new machine before I made the switch.
I'm still on a G3 400

evildead
Jul 18, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by zuffen
is there a mac based utility or mail program that will let me bulk archive my mail to a text file.

I used to use netscape communicator and would save the user info every six months or so

played around with eudora

then I went to entourage

all the programs will let you save one email at a time but not a mass saving or a folder.

I'm on several list servs for Windows media, fcp etc and the info is something I want to save

You can just drag and drop an Entourage folder and it will archive the whole folder into one acrhive file.

I do it all the time

-evildead

zuffen
Jul 18, 2003, 04:12 PM
That is it. How did you ever find that out?

That is too freaking easy. I looked for a solution like that for awhile.

It opens in word as a text file.

I'm in your debt

evildead
Jul 18, 2003, 06:07 PM
I figured it out when I wanted to backup all the email from my girlfiend (now ex) before I reformated and moved to OS X. I thought... there has to be a way to backup all this mail in her folder.... and I suddenly realised that I was using a Mac... so of course it is that easy!

glad to be of service

-evildead