PDA

View Full Version : Apple posts their PowerMac G5 Television ad in Quicktime.

MacBytes
Jul 17, 2003, 12:39 AM
Category: Photos
Link: Apple posts their PowerMac G5 Television ad in Quicktime. (http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/g5/)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

clonenode
Jul 17, 2003, 07:10 AM
Nice to see it big and in high res.

Note to arn... maybe your green "Photo" bar should say "Media". Just a thought... and maybe I should find a better place to post it.

mangoman
Jul 17, 2003, 09:18 AM
Jeff's in the V.O.! Yayyyy. And I don't think he stutters at all!

e-coli
Jul 17, 2003, 09:18 AM
Eh?

Disappointing work from Chiat / Day. They're capable of far better work, IMHO.

boobers
Jul 17, 2003, 09:26 AM
Apple should ease up on "the worlds fastest personal computer" remarks. Its fast but i really doubt its the fastest.

Billicus
Jul 17, 2003, 09:31 AM
I don't know...I kind of like the commercial. I suppose I'd get sick of it if I watched it too many times, though.

zoozx
Jul 17, 2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by e-coli
Eh?

Disappointing work from Chiat / Day. They're capable of far better work, IMHO.

Agreed,
Apple ads espcially with Jeff GoldBloom ( dump this guy already!) have been sub par for a long time. It's time apple moved on and woke up. Cutting edge this stuff is not.

MattG
Jul 17, 2003, 09:40 AM
I always love how in these commercials, the wires that power up the computer and monitor are conveniently missing. Is this the new wireless G5? :cool:

irmongoose
Jul 17, 2003, 09:52 AM
I'm not getting a thing... all that shows up is the broken Quicktime icon.

edit: Stupid PithHelmet thing... blocks Apple stuff too! Anyways, looks good... but certainly not the best I've seen.

irmongoose

jMc
Jul 17, 2003, 09:54 AM
I think this tells us that there are unlikely to be new keyboards or displays for a while... adverts aren't cheap.
jx

3rdpath
Jul 17, 2003, 09:58 AM
very disappointing ad work...

uses the same tag line...doesn't differentiate the product from the past g4's.

not to mention...it just doesn't make sense.

and c'mon, i think the g5 is beautiful...why spend the bulk of the commercial showing a destroyed house?

if apple has to go this route, at least use someone edgy like McG or marcos siega to direct it.....lame-o

Freg3000
Jul 17, 2003, 10:14 AM
Does Jeff Goldblum even act anymore? :rolleyes:

I like the ad mildly, at least we see a glimpse of Mac OS X on the Apple monitor...it's the closest we have gotten in a long time.

Billicus
Jul 17, 2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath

and c'mon, i think the g5 is beautiful...why spend the bulk of the commercial showing a destroyed house?

if apple has to go this route, at least use someone edgy like McG or marcos siega to direct it.....lame-o

I agree. Sure, the guy is blown away, but they are capable of a much better quality commercial than this one.

Tue12
Jul 17, 2003, 10:17 AM
Except for 'Think Different', Apple's commercials since jobs return have sucked and sucked big time. This one is no exception.

ANy wonder Apple has 2% market share? Their advertising is lame, lame, lame, lame, lame!

brhmac
Jul 17, 2003, 10:21 AM
Apple continues to be an amazing blend of style and substance.

Great looking pcs. Great working pcs. Great looking ads. Great selling... oops!

That's the problem -- image doesn't see pcs. Price and functionality sell pcs to a large market. Image-based pcs sell to niche markets.

Did that ad convince 1 single PC user to switch? Did Apple need to advertise to the Apple faithful?

If Apple really wants to sell computers to Wintel users, it needs to educate the market - not fly past them with some claim to be the world's fastest pc.

The least expensive PC Dell is selling right now on its TV campaign is $500 after rebate and clocks in at 2.2 gigs. Is the average PC user going to understand why they need to pay more than $2000 for a sub 2-gig machine?

:confused:

RBR2
Jul 17, 2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath

Yea, Apple has this problem with advertising. They seem to run ads which amuse people who already own Apple Computers, but do nothing to show things that the product would do to entice people who do not own one to make a purchase.

At least a few of the PC & PC product manufactures run commercials featuring someone doing things with the product that are intended to get a "I'd like to be able to do that" or "cool, I want that" response out of potential customers.

This commercial's message seems to be "You'll be blown away!", but what does that mean to someone who does not own an Apple product? You are trying to attract new customers, aren't you Apple?

Wardofsky
Jul 17, 2003, 10:22 AM
Well, you don't want new/PC users thinking that the G5 will blow them through several walls leaving a path of costly destruction and to cause back injuries by hitting a tree just to use a computer...

I think the ad format has changed since the new iMac ads, like they were more simple which made them effective (Like the flat panel on an iMac: Jonathan Ive)

Previous ads did not put the viewer in an "everyday" life, ie. look at the old iMac ads.

Simple as 1 2 3, and you aren't in an everyday life setting...

Java
Jul 17, 2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Tue12
Except for 'Think Different', Apple's commercials since jobs return have sucked and sucked big time. This one is no exception.

Apple needs to shock the people watching, not the actor that is being blown out of a house.

The ad is ok, but Apple is capable of making a lot better commericials. Lets see some graphics.

Come on Apple. You have the fastest personal computer. Let people know!

<thought>
Wouldn't it be funny if we were to see the "dude, you're getting a dell" guy getting blown out of his house. he dusts himself off and says, "dude, that's not a dell".
</thought>

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2003, 10:25 AM
Simply have Chiat/Day create a 45 second spot that somehow manages to

1. Show Digital Video Editing on a Mac.

2. Show tracks being downloaded from iTMS

3. Show tracks exported from iTunes to iPod

4. And a cool shot of Expose in Panther

Smooth segues from each task..as though the process of doing all of these task is fluid.

End shot with kid on a seqway with ipod and headphones bopping down the street.

Let's get freakin excited about something here!!

RogueWarrior65
Jul 17, 2003, 10:28 AM
Let's hope the G5 solved the wind-tunnel effect...otherwise this commercial is really going to send the wrong message.

Java
Jul 17, 2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by nuckinfutz

Smooth segues from each task..as though the process of doing all of these task is fluid.

You just solved the problem in one post. Hey Apple, read this. (Well, mayble without the segway, that is on the edge of being too much of a geek.)

medea
Jul 17, 2003, 10:37 AM
I think the ad was aiming for the PC users, those gaming Alienware kids are sure to think this is a "way cool" commerical....And having an ad like this is not a bad move, all we have been seeing recently are the switch ads and then the powebook, nothing really "exciting" (not that the ad excited me personally) or eye catching.

mymemory
Jul 17, 2003, 10:46 AM
That ad is so cheap.

1. The guy blowing up doesn't have any relation with the computer (I hate when people think I'm stupid).

2. There is no relationship between the explotion and the computer.

3. Where are the wires? Am I going to buy a computer without wires? That is what they are selling me.

Conclution: The ad is fictional, corny and unrealisty that doesn't show in any way the new features of the product, just "a silver box that is powerfull pushing people away".

You can bet they are gonna change the ad soon because it is very childish.

saint.duo
Jul 17, 2003, 10:57 AM
There is no power cable for the monitor, as it's part of the display cable. Also, I have my powermac up on a desk, and you can't see my cable to the wall.

Anyways... I agree that we need to show people DOING THINGS with macs in ads. I went on a rant about this for about 30 minutes yesterday.

Show someone doing a quick video spot on a PowerMac, zoom into the monitor, then out of a TV, showing the same video spot on a TV with people watching. (pro)

Show someone filming their kid in the pool, then sending a dvd of that to grandma/pa. (home video)

Show someone hearing a song on the radio, buying it at the ITMS, then listening to it on their iPod biking. (music)

Give us USE, not product shots! I seriously doubt that chiat/day is coming up with this w/o any direction from Steve.

wdlove
Jul 17, 2003, 10:58 AM
I give Apple credit for making TV ads showing off there product. Microsoft really doesn't really try, but I forgot they don't need to they have 95% of the market. There philsophy is if we offer it they will come, no questions ask!

nero007
Jul 17, 2003, 10:59 AM
What a bunch of lame asses. The ad is fine. Would you rather Apple have some lame talking cow or Interns bumbling around the Cupertino offices?

As far as showing what the computers do, they already had ads showing of the programs from iLife.

As far as not having any good ads since Jobs has been there, I'm going to have to disagree again. The first iMac ads were widely copied. The G4 ads where the Pentium guy is getting toasted were rememberable. The switch ads while not liked by a lot of "Mac faithful" were effective, widely copied and NOT directed towards current Mac users.

This ad does a good job. It's cool looking, it gets your attention and it's controvesial. "Fastest Personal Computer". Look at how much press that has brought to the G5. If the PC world really wasn't worried about that claim they wouldn't have so many articles (a lot misinformed) trying to tear it down.

nero007
Jul 17, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by saint.duo
There is no power cable for the monitor, as it's part of the display cable. Also, I have my powermac up on a desk, and you can't see my cable to the wall.

Anyways... I agree that we need to show people DOING THINGS with macs in ads. I went on a rant about this for about 30 minutes yesterday.

Show someone doing a quick video spot on a PowerMac, zoom into the monitor, then out of a TV, showing the same video spot on a TV with people watching. (pro)

Show someone filming their kid in the pool, then sending a dvd of that to grandma/pa. (home video)

Show someone hearing a song on the radio, buying it at the ITMS, then listening to it on their iPod biking. (music)

Give us USE, not product shots! I seriously doubt that chiat/day is coming up with this w/o any direction from Steve.

They've already done commercials like these.

alset
Jul 17, 2003, 11:00 AM

Absatively. The ads are weak.

Dan

tduality
Jul 17, 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Java

<thought>
Wouldn't it be funny if we were to see the "dude, you're getting a dell" guy getting blown out of his house. he dusts himself off and says, "dude, that's not a dell".
</thought>

That's better. :D

Powerbook G5
Jul 17, 2003, 11:08 AM
I agree that the ads are weak, I personally think that the Dell dude should be the one being blown out the house and slammed against a tree. Just think "Dude, what the hell was that?" Remember those G3 commercials with the "Toasted Bunnies" that so handily handed Intel's ad campaign's ass on the platter? Now those were fun commercials that are memorable. PC Power users are not going to remember the switch commercials or the forgettable Powerbook commercials, but after all these years, I still smirk when I think back to the fireman blasting the Intel bunny guy with a fire extinguisher. If Apple wants to show the G5 kicking ass and blowing you away, then show the G5 kicking the Dell dude's ass and giving him the finger while he is down, now that is what a dual 970 is all about!

"Dude, I so need to get one of these..."

Escher
Jul 17, 2003, 11:12 AM
I wonder when Apple (or Volkswagen) will post the New Beetle/iPod ad for download?

Escher

daveL
Jul 17, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by RBR2
They seem to run ads which amuse people who already own Apple Computers, but do nothing to show things that the product would do to entice people who do not own one to make a purchase.

[deleted a bit ...]

This commercial's message seems to be "You'll be blown away!", but what does that mean to someone who does not own an Apple product? You are trying to attract new customers, aren't your Apple?

I think that's the reason behind the Apple retail stores: A venue for non-Apple users to get up close and personal with a Mac and discover the difference. It seems to be working with half the store sales going to first time Mac buyers. I believe Jobs said in his WWDC keynote that there have been 1.7 million customers through the Apple stores already.

iLilana
Jul 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by nero007
What a bunch of lame asses. The ad is fine. Would you rather Apple have some lame talking cow or Interns bumbling around the Cupertino offices?

As far as showing what the computers do, they already had ads showing of the programs from iLife.

As far as not having any good ads since Jobs has been there, I'm going to have to disagree again. The first iMac ads were widely copied. The G4 ads where the Pentium guy is getting toasted were rememberable. The switch ads while not liked by a lot of "Mac faithful" were effective, widely copied and NOT directed towards current Mac users.

This ad does a good job. It's cool looking, it gets your attention and it's controvesial. "Fastest Personal Computer". Look at how much press that has brought to the G5. If the PC world really wasn't worried about that claim they wouldn't have so many articles (a lot misinformed) trying to tear it down.

I agree. This ad is cool. It boasts apple power. Like the burning pentium labguys. I think you people who doubt the G5 power/speed/functionality are going to be very surprised. I'm willing to bet that it will remain the "Fastest Personal Computer" for quite some time if they (IBM) has anything to do with it. Mainly because the G5 chips are in direct competition with xeon and opteron systems. Obviously you nay sayers are preparing yourselves to be let down. Go buy a pentium. I will be buying my G5 as soon as I can afford it. (or if I can convince my Mother to buy it for me... hell she buys my brothers everything they want so why not).

saint.duo
Jul 17, 2003, 11:39 AM
I have yet to see an iLife ad. Where are they showing it, H&G tv? A coworker's classmate saw the ad, and said "it looked cool, but i don't get it". This ad will not sell to PC users.

I'll admit, I had forgotten about the switch ads, which are good, but we need more like that. I don't think I've seen one on "normal" television for over a month.

The toasted bunny ad was with the G3s (G4 was the tank one), and was not from when Jobs was there. Jobs seems to refuse to put down the competition, which those ads did.

[i]Originally posted by nero007[i]

zarrick
Jul 17, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by MattG
I always love how in these commercials, the wires that power up the computer and monitor are conveniently missing. Is this the new wireless G5? :cool:

Missing wires = included bluetooth accessories???

nero007
Jul 17, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I agree that the ads are weak, I personally think that the Dell dude should be the one being blown out the house and slammed against a tree. Just think "Dude, what the hell was that?" Remember those G3 commercials with the "Toasted Bunnies" that so handily handed Intel's ad campaign's ass on the platter? Now those were fun commercials that are memorable. PC Power users are not going to remember the switch commercials or the forgettable Powerbook commercials, but after all these years, I still smirk when I think back to the fireman blasting the Intel bunny guy with a fire extinguisher. If Apple wants to show the G5 kicking ass and blowing you away, then show the G5 kicking the Dell dude's ass and giving him the finger while he is down, now that is what a dual 970 is all about!

"Dude, I so need to get one of these..."

That's all we need is another pot head in one of our commercials. Notice Dell quit using this guy after he got busted.

QCassidy352
Jul 17, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Tue12

ANy wonder Apple has 2% market share? Their advertising is lame, lame, lame, lame, lame!

you can't tell me the Yao Ming and Mini-Me ad sucked. cause it didn't.

edit: oh yeah, and the g4 imac commercial where the imac is mirroring what the guy does... apple ads have been just fine.

QCassidy352
Jul 17, 2003, 12:07 PM

uh... no. Commercials have to catch people's attention. I'm a mac freak, and even I would be bored by what you suggest.

Anyone who doesn't use a mac already wouldn't understand what was being done in the ad you describe. People would see expose and say "what the hell is that?" They'd see songs being transferred, and say, "so what?"

MattG
Jul 17, 2003, 12:20 PM
I like Apple's ads, but that's because I already use their products.

Like these:
iMac Dance (http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/newimac_dance_320.html)

Window Display (http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/imac_window_m480.mov)

Very cute, but why should I, as a PC user, buy one? Because it's in a commercial, jumping around and dancing?

alset
Jul 17, 2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by nero007

The real trick is to run more adds like the "Wedding" commercial. It demonstrated that a user could easily create a custom movie that could be played in his folks' DVD player. I have no idea why they didn't run it more often. I only saw it CNN.

Ads with people dancing around don't offer me any incentive to look into the iPod. They just remind me that Apple has commercials. As duo.saint said, we need ads showing off the iTMS with the iPod. That would sell me.

Dan

Macmaniac
Jul 17, 2003, 12:26 PM
They should have said something along the lines of specs, 2ghz dual processors and capable of 8gb of memory with a built in DVD burner. Most people don't care what number the chip is, they want specs.

Gelfin
Jul 17, 2003, 12:44 PM
Gah. Critics. Admittedly I prefer the more "artsy" ads. This one ditches the artsy air and goes straight for the tone of a high-budget kids' soft drink ad. As such, I would probably be inclined to agree with most of you about this ad if you hadn't had also reacted badly to the more cerebral ads. Somebody said that they need to do more ads like that wedding thing, but when that ad came out, folks here jumped all over it.

The important thing about the G5 is that it's fast. Really fast. That's hard to portray in an ad in a way that's meaningful. Besides which, being "really, really fast" isn't actually something most people need. If you depict things people can do with the fastest personal computer in the world, you're going to be showing them things they won't be doing. In effect, you'll be telling people they don't need this product. However, people THINK they need the fastest thing in the world, and if you can't credibly tell them your product is, then they'll buy a competitor. The solution to this is to produce a goofy, eye-catching ad that symbolizes how powerful the machine is without actually trying to demonstrate it in a technical way.

Anybody who expects Apple to ever produce a television spot that sells their products well to the technically savvy geek market is dreaming. TV is mass market. Us geeks come to places like MacRumors to get our information. We watch video streams of keynotes. We've got the word already. The TV spots are designed for everybody else.

marquitin
Jul 17, 2003, 01:00 PM
The number one "joke" among PC users and the number one complaint of Mac users for a long time has been that Macs are SLO-O-O-OW compared to PC's. I believe this ad is intended to put that notion to rest. I sort of think it does the job. It'll be one of many.

jettredmont
Jul 17, 2003, 01:11 PM
IMHO, the lamest ad Apple has put out.

1) High level concept has been done numerous times, and many times with vastly greater effectiveness. I mean, think back to mid-80's Maxell audio equipment ads ...

2) Physical scene-for-scene has been done for a different company VERY recently (can't remember that company; that's how memorable this particular ad concept is!)

3) Sound effects in the beginning suck (my wife couldn't figure out what was supposed to have happened, and she watches commercials for kicks (bugs the hell out of her when I do the 20-second jump repeatedly on the Tivo ...) )

4) Way too much ad with no product placement, and when we finally get product view it is from across a (visually distracting) room. I mean, if I didn't know whis was a Mac I might have believed it was a Gateway box sitting there.

5) Back to the high-concept: man, it's a lame, obvious "joke". "Du-huh! That guy was really blown away from the computer! Du-huh!"

IMHO, the worst computer to come from Apple in a long time. I mean, the Switcher and iTMS commercials made me embarrassed for the people on them, but this one simply makes me embarassed for Apple. They can do so much better!

iLilana
Jul 17, 2003, 01:14 PM
I have an idea for a G5 commercial. Who do I sell it to?

jettredmont
Jul 17, 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Gelfin
The solution to this is to produce a goofy, eye-catching ad that symbolizes how powerful the machine is without actually trying to demonstrate it in a technical way.

But the problem is, the ad's incredibly unoriginal, lame, and looks like it could have come from Dell or Gateway.

I mean, people see aliens floating in space with laptops and they immediately think of Intel ... this has approximately 0 brand identification.

robotrenegade
Jul 17, 2003, 01:15 PM
Not a bad ad but not that great.

MattG
Jul 17, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
4) Way too much ad with no product placement, and when we finally get product view it is from across a (visually distracting) room. I mean, if I didn't know whis was a Mac I might have believed it was a Gateway box sitting there.
[/B]

The "apple.com/g5" URL in big, bright white letters against a black background at the end didn't clue you in at all?

macdong
Jul 17, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by alset
Absatively. The ads are weak.

Dan

i think this ad servers good as a "intro".
there should be more commercials followed with more information.

phasornc
Jul 17, 2003, 01:44 PM
Yeah this ad generally sucks, however, I saw it while watching TV, and the first time I saw it, not knowing it was an Apple ad it got my attention. I kept thinking where's this going.

Of course I was disappointed in the end.

Here are the G3 (and beyond) era Apple ads I thought were alright:

Apple's best ad so far was the "middle seat" iBook ad. That actually showed you what you can do with a Mac in 30 seconds.

Big and Small was also pretty good. First use of Yao in a commercial. Give Apple props for that!

"There's no step 3". Maybe the only good Jeff Goldblum ad.

"She comes in Colors" was also memorable, and a good contemporaneous celebration of the iMac as the design icon that it had become at that moment.

"2001" was also alright, the G3 case beautiful and impressive for it's time. Focusing on ease of use, in this case ease of access is always good.

Other than that I'm pretty much drawing a blank. Does Spike Jones still do commercials. Maybe they should let BT talk about the Mac while playing some of his own music: he's funny, if only for his pure inability to act. Or perhaps get Al Gore and Rush Limbaugh for the same commercial. That would get people talking. Perhaps they could mudwrestle while being refereed by the bounce from Jerry Springer, a sort of taste great/less filling thing.

But when it all comes down to it, all Apple needs numbers. The dual 2ghz G5 would sell just as many units in a beige box. If they could put a single 2.0 ghz G5 in the iMac, I doubt iMacs would be in the slump they're in. OS X finally kicks ass, iLife is excellent, a little help on the Ghz side would really help with video renderring.

blogo
Jul 17, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by macdong
i think this ad servers good as a "intro".
there should be more commercials followed with more information.

Thats what the url in the end is for.

Makosuke
Jul 17, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Gelfin
The important thing about the G5 is that it's fast. Really fast. That's hard to portray in an ad in a way that's meaningful. Besides which, being "really, really fast" isn't actually something most people need. If you depict things people can do with the fastest personal computer in the world, you're going to be showing them things they won't be doing. In effect, you'll be telling people they don't need this product. However, people THINK they need the fastest thing in the world, and if you can't credibly tell them your product is, then they'll buy a competitor. The solution to this is to produce a goofy, eye-catching ad that symbolizes how powerful the machine is without actually trying to demonstrate it in a technical way.

This is what I've been saying. No, it's not the best ad ever. No, it's not going to educate the unwashed masses about the greatness of the MacOS. But it will make them at least raise an eyebrow, and maybe get them to walk into the next Apple Store they pass by.

That's all its supposed to do, same as the Dell Dude and the talking cow. Think of it as the first "Yo!" warning shot in the coming speed ad war.

pcharles
Jul 17, 2003, 01:52 PM
Despite the dubious benchmarks, if Apple wants to sell more computers it needs to think like the Windows people who are purchasing them.

OK, so Mac users understand the sophistication of the "blown away" cliche, but how many kids or windows users will appreciate it? Not many.

We need loud music, fast-paced cut shots showing rapid rendering and some serious clips of Unreal Tournament running at 500 frames per second. People need to be excited enough to shell out $6000 for a computer setup with all the bells, whistles, and flat panel displays.

Dump Goldblum, what the hell has he done lately? He should have been eaten by dinosaurs long long ago! Why cant we have some of the latest rock stars or sports idols? I recon Jonney Mosley would be great, as would Sale and Peltier (sp?). They could show the editing of some freestyle ski event with all the music and zoom out to show the star editing the video of her/him self or even have tiger woods playing himself on the golf game.

It has to be flashy for windows users, they are not that sophisticated!

jettredmont
Jul 17, 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MattG
The "apple.com/g5" URL in big, bright white letters against a black background at the end didn't clue you in at all?

1) Consumers don't read (man, haven't you been to marketting school yet? :) )

2) I was talking about the product shot. Unflattering, bland, indistinguishable from the Wintel pablum.

rjwill246
Jul 17, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by pcharles
Despite the dubious benchmarks, if Apple wants to sell more computers it needs to think like the Windows people who are purchasing them. It has to be flashy for windows users, they are not that sophisticated!

Too true. It is funny though but if it is aired as much as the PB commercials Apple will turn people off. The sight gag goes only so far. Apple has never really had a blitz campaign like Dell or Gateway. The young guy on the plane and the other one in the theater were good ads but Apple never seems to have a series of them that they pummel us with. The Dell's intern ads are just plain dumb but what can one expect? Apple needs to show some variety here, be funny, be educational and really go beserk. btw, I think a parody on the Dell, dude would be hilarious, if they could only pull it off. As the Dell ads were (unintentional) parodies themselves maybe no one would notice that the Apple ads were actual parodies and they might think that Dell is selling "the world's fastest personal computers!" You know how Dell users are!

zoozx
Jul 17, 2003, 02:48 PM
Do Jobs and Goldbloom have some kind of gay relationship going on. If so that is fine.
But stop using Goldbloom in these ads.
They only make bad ads like this one worse.

MattG
Jul 17, 2003, 02:51 PM
1) Consumers don't read (man, haven't you been to marketting school yet? :) )

2) I was talking about the product shot. Unflattering, bland, indistinguishable from the Wintel pablum.

Yeah, that's true.

They really should have said something among the lines of, "x% faster than the fastest PC on the market," something that gives people some idea of why it's the "fastest desktop computer in the world." Like I said already, anybody can say they have the fastest computers--give people the numbers!

macmax
Jul 17, 2003, 02:53 PM
Apple,,, GET GUY RITCHIE and then we can talk adds

MarkMc
Jul 17, 2003, 03:00 PM
That ad sucked. Hardly fitting for a product that people have been waiting years for. This product is for media professionals, Raw speed isn't necessarily what's its all about anymore. Wintel computers are pretty fast too these days... maybe they should try and market it to the people more likely to buy it... focus on the expandibility, connectivity ports, graphic power, etc... as well as the speed. Why show it being used by some kid in his house??? Show it in a media house or graphics lab pumping out 3D renderings or graphic layouts... that way people in that field will see it and take notice... it's simple economics, weigh in how many teenagers can afford this vs. how many working professionals. Advertise to the people who this is designed for, save the teen stuff for the iMac/eMac ads...

Brent Turbo
Jul 17, 2003, 03:17 PM
Whoever thinks that people should be educated by an advertisement knows nothing about the psychology of the ad business. People are sheep, and information scares them. Even computer buyers, especially in the sweet spot of the market that Apple wants to target.

Do you think Pepsi should make ads explaining what happens to you, physiologically, when you drink a Pepsi? No, just show a hot chick slamming a bottle of Pepsi and they're as good as sold. But, but, you can't find actual <i>bottles</i> anywhere! Imagine that! People don't care. Same goes for the lack of power cables on the computer.

Scab Cake
Jul 17, 2003, 03:29 PM
Apparently, Apple isn't having too much trouble attracting new computer users. Did any of you read that 50% of new computer sales at the Apple Store are to people who didn't own a mac before? Seems to me like they're doing all right. I liked the commercial, I thought it was funny. People are going to REMEMBER the commercial, just like the Yao-Ming/Vern Troyer commercial. They just made $19 million this quarter and they're opening up new Apple Stores every few weeks. The thing is, Apple has set itself up so it doesn't HAVE to really worry about the other 95% if they're still making money. They're doing the artsy, we're-better-than-the-other-computer-companies thing. So what? Their stock is at a 52-week high, the G5 is selling well, what's there to complain about?

Besides, they're a business. As long as they're in the green, that's all that matters.

greenstork
Jul 17, 2003, 03:35 PM
I have to disagree with most on this thread.

Do I think it's a great commercial = No

Do I think it touted the best parts of OSX and The wonders of the Mac platform = No

Do I think they got one simple message across that the computer is fast and it will blow you away = Yes

I watched the commerical for the first time not knowing it was an Apple ad and I was intersted to see why this guy had been blown out of his house. It caught my attention long enough for me to be curious. Long enough to hear "New Apple G5, the world's fatest personal computer" This is the only intention of this commercial and the message came across loud and clear. I paid attention, I heard the message, and it was pretty cool. That is all that they are asking for with advertising. It could have been much more creative, much hipper but it was good enough. I mean for a computer ad, it blows away the Dell ads and Gateway which ahve zero creativity and are poorly done in comparison. This ad at least, has a more sophisticated message.

It's not great, but it does the trick and it does appeal to the mass market who don't really care about the intracacies of all things Mac.

bretm
Jul 17, 2003, 03:36 PM

The toasted bunny ad was with the G3s (G4 was the tank one), and was not from when Jobs was there. Jobs seems to refuse to put down the competition, which those ads did.

All those ads were from when Jobs was there. The G3 was released after Jobs was returned, canned the release of the PowerComputing G3 (which was going to come out months before the apple version - talk about embarrassing) and then released the G3 for apple. Then of course the imac, BW G3, etc.

Java
Jul 17, 2003, 03:44 PM

Remember those G3 commercials with the "Toasted Bunnies" that so handily handed Intel's ad campaign's ass on the platter? Now those were fun commercials that are memorable. PC Power users are not going to remember the switch commercials or the forgettable Powerbook commercials, but after all these years, I still smirk when I think back to the fireman blasting the Intel bunny guy with a fire extinguisher.

If Apple wants to show the G5 kicking ass and blowing you away, then show the G5 kicking the Dell dude's ass and giving him the finger while he is down, now that is what a dual 970 is all about!

I think Apple needs to poke fun at the competition. If the competition can copy Apple, why can't Apple mock the competition?

At least there is not talking dogcows, moooof. :)

beloit08
Jul 17, 2003, 03:46 PM
I tend to agree with the people who think this ad is ineffective. The beauty and simplicity of the Mac OS and their machines is not carried over well here. About the nearest I can figure is that they're trying for some kind "X-Treme" audience (though the guy's really too old for the gaming market). It just doesn't work on so many levels.

Here's what Apple & Chiat/Day need to do: just give a bunch of people some firewire cameras and a script, and have people make their own commercials using iMovie and the other iLife aps. Simple, stark, beautiful commercials showcasing real people doing neat things. It's the next step after their "switch" campaign.

Or, they could dress someone up in a big foam G5 outfit and film him going kung-fu on the Dell guy, Interns, and maybe even a cow. (Or have the whole crew race and show the G5 foam-suited guy leaving everyone else in the dust).

"My name's beloit08, and I made this commercial." :)

Java
Jul 17, 2003, 04:00 PM
Why cant we have some of the latest rock stars or sports idols? I recon Jonney Mosley would be great, as would Sale and Peltier (sp?). They could show the editing of some freestyle ski event with all the music and zoom out to show the star editing the video of her/him self or even have tiger woods playing himself on the golf game.

It has to be flashy for windows users, they are not that sophisticated!

If you remember, they had DU Qbert, Kelly Slater, and Tony Hawk along with Yo Yo Ma talking about switching and using their Apple products.

Now having Al Gore in an Apple ad, that would be interesting.

lilpig8
Jul 17, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by greenstork

I watched the commerical for the first time not knowing it was an Apple ad and I was intersted to see why this guy had been blown out of his house. It caught my attention long enough for me to be curious. Long enough to hear "New Apple G5, the world's fatest personal computer" This is the only intention of this commercial and the message came across loud and clear. I paid attention, I heard the message, and it was pretty cool. [/B]

The one thing that makes this ad better than the switcher ad's is the attention. When you first see it it isn't the normal white screen with someone talking..you don't know what the product is. You are interested to see what is going to happen. The audience will keep watching instead of changing the channel because they already know what the product is and what is being sold. This gets the point across, and makes it a good commercial.

Makosuke
Jul 17, 2003, 04:08 PM
Say, I just noticed something watching the high-rez Apple version--you can see through the grille on the front just a bit as the camera pans by.

Not having been able to fondle one in NY, it was interesting to see that subtle transparency effect. Unintentional all-metal take on the transparent plastic, perhaps?

Looks like it'll only be visible head-on.

Wonder Boy
Jul 17, 2003, 04:18 PM
It's ok. I still don't care for the voice over guy.

Snowy_River
Jul 17, 2003, 04:43 PM

I hate to disagree, but Jobs came back before the G3 was introduced. I remember getting my PowerBook 3400 shortly before it was announced that he was returning as the interim CEO.

Proof of point: It was Jobs who decided that the products needed to be simplified, and it was with the release of the G3 Power Macs and PowerBooks that that simplification took place.

polyesterlester
Jul 17, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Escher
I wonder when Apple (or Volkswagen) will post the New Beetle/iPod ad for download?

Escher

http://www.apple.com/ipod/vw/video/

Snowy_River
Jul 17, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by alset
The real trick is to run more adds like the "Wedding" commercial. It demonstrated that a user could easily create a custom movie that could be played in his folks' DVD player. I have no idea why they didn't run it more often. I only saw it CNN.

Dan

Yes, that was a truly exceptional commercial. Does anyone have a URL for the commercial on Apple's website?

Snowy_River
Jul 17, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
They should have said something along the lines of specs, 2ghz dual processors and capable of 8gb of memory with a built in DVD burner. Most people don't care what number the chip is, they want specs.

I think that you're wrong about that. How often has Intel banked on the assumption that a P4 is better than a P3?

I think that I'll agree with another poster that this makes for a good introductory commercial, and that new commercials could follow with more information on things like specs. But, as a first ad for the G5, I think this one is pretty good.

zuggerat
Jul 17, 2003, 04:54 PM
i havent had time to read all the posts but im gonna say my ***** anyways...so if this a repeat then i apologize in advance...

1. I think the ad is fantastic...it's not supposed to be a work of art being displayed to techno music or some crap from moby...it's supposed to be fast quick and make a lasting impression...when u see the guy blow out of the house ur gonna change the channel back and watch...they dont show u the product until the end which follows every single marketing rule known to man...if u keep the viewers attention then you've got a good ad.

2. I think Jeff Goldblum has a very good voice for commercials...it's not annoying and has a very subtle tone...he has a very inviting voice...and why should we hate him?... he did all the iMac commercials (old iMacs) and thats what brought apple back from near bankruptcy.

So for those of u that have lashed out at the commerical, i say take a step back and rethink ur position because it really is a very good add...my one complaint is that the URL should go right to the PowerMac page...not the G5 Processor page.

Romanesq
Jul 17, 2003, 04:57 PM
Listen, for what it's worth. I like the ad. I agree with the perspective that says it's about reaching people's minds.
Understandably, you guys here may have another perspective focusing on what benefits the G5 has over another wintel box, but it does miss the point.

The decision was made to hit the part of the brain that interacts with this:

COOL.

I had a colleague view it on my computer who doesn't know diddly about macs. He liked it.

And that's the person the ad is targeting. Not us dweebs on this board.

Market share or death. Gotta grow market share.:cool:

koen
Jul 17, 2003, 04:58 PM
All that from just looking at an empty desktop.

MrMacMan
Jul 17, 2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by polyesterlester

Emm, good clip, tho even in the commerical or online I still can't see the stuff at the bottom, its white on white... :wtf:

MacEyeDoc
Jul 17, 2003, 05:19 PM
My impression is that after waiting so long for this chip, they could have done a much better job showing it off. Maybe they were going for a "1984" effect, where (at least I don't remember) the computer wasn't shown at all.

It is especially disappointing, like an earlier post said, to finally get through the wrecked house, wondering what could have blown him out like that, and just see a blank desktop. Sheesh, at least put an iLife screenshot or something on there.

Powerbook G5
Jul 17, 2003, 05:45 PM
I was thinking of a humorous and powerful way of getting the message across with the G5's powerful nature. Imagine a sexy sports car driving by (almost like a car commercial, with the camera following it), then the camera cuts away a bit to reveal a P4 logo somewhere on the door panel or vanity plate. Then you hear a voice over talking about the speed and capability of the Pentium 4, almost going unchallenged by anything else in the PC industry...then suddenly *BAM* it gets broadsided by a high speed bullet train--leaving the sports car in a fireball of twisted wreckage...suddenly the camera cuts around to the front of the train with the G5 logo on the front with a voice over saying "Until now. Introducing the fastest, most powerful desktop system, the PowerMac G5. Apple. Nothing else will do." Then the screen fades out, then suddenly back in with the G5 logo flashing across the screen, with the words "Fastest desktop in the world" "Over 70% faster than the Pentium 4" (I believe I heard something about 70% faster in the G5 promo video from WWDC webcast) "215 inflight instructions per second" "1 GHz Bus" "8 Gigs RAM" 'Live in the fast lane or move into the granny lane" "PowerMac" "By Apple" Switch" The last part kind of came to me while recalling those commercials for the Volvo SUV when they flashed to a black screen with that industrial music playing and simply flashed in bold white font the different attributes that defined it as the best in the industy. It is simple, powerful, and definitely gets the point across. You can argue with looking at a black desktop and how it doesn't get any point across, but you can't argue with plain as day facts like "Dual processor" "Dual independent 1 GHz Bus" "8 gigs RAM capacity" and the rest. Commercials are about impact, so hit them hard and don't let up so that people are left drooling and in need of getting their hands on one. I know I didn't even so much as look at a Mac until I saw commercials like the Pentium Snail, the Toasted Bunny, and the Steamroller commercials completely hitting me and almost mocking me for having a Pentium II and thinking I had the biggest, baddest computer on the block. After that I played with a Powerbook at CompUSA and bought my first Mac shortly after and have never looked back.

solvs
Jul 17, 2003, 05:45 PM
While I do think the ad is kinda stupid, and will be made fun of, I can see why most of you are not ad executives. No offense, but nobody wants to be bored with Specs and screenshots. Of course, the Dell guy getting blown away would've been funnier, but there are numerous reasons why they couldn't do that.

As has been mentioned, this is just a teaser. It'll get better. Those early iMovie and iTunes commercials were great, and hopefully they expand on those. And really show what you can do, but in an exciting and/or personal way. Play on peoples emotions and short attention spans.

These are commercials remember. They have a very short time to get your attention. They don't want to go wasting that time boring you.

Dunepilot
Jul 17, 2003, 06:00 PM
Pentium Snail, the Toasted Bunny, and the Steamroller commercials completely hitting me and almost mocking me for having a Pentium II

and of course the burned Intel dancing men in their coloured environment suits.
:D. My personal favourite.

Play that funky music wideboy, indeed.:rolleyes:

Choppaface
Jul 17, 2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by boobers
Apple should ease up on "the worlds fastest personal computer" remarks. Its fast but i really doubt its the fastest.

ya, by the time it actually comes out, it won't be true anymore he he :D

vanillamike
Jul 17, 2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Romanesq
And that's the person the ad is targeting. Not us dweebs on this board.

Hey I am not a dweeb!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Mike

Edit-----------------

Oops yes I am look at my signature :p

tazznb
Jul 17, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by iLilana
I agree. This ad is cool. It boasts apple power. Like the burning pentium labguys. I think you people who doubt the G5 power/speed/functionality are going to be very surprised. I'm willing to bet that it will remain the "Fastest Personal Computer" for quite some time if they (IBM) has anything to do with it. Mainly because the G5 chips are in direct competition with xeon and opteron systems. Obviously you nay sayers are preparing yourselves to be let down. Go buy a pentium. I will be buying my G5 as soon as I can afford it. (or if I can convince my Mother to buy it for me... hell she buys my brothers everything they want so why not).

I ACTUALLY USED A G5 @ THE EXPO, AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH ITS SPEED, AND FUNCTIONALITY!:D

Makosuke
Jul 17, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by koen
All that from just looking at an empty desktop. No, all that was from just pushing the power button--he just turned the thing on, which is why there was nothing on the screen yet.

(Also note that it had booted completely by the time the camera made it through the house. :) )

Say, maybe that should've been what Jeff said: "...And that's just the startup chime. Wait till you see it run."

alandail
Jul 17, 2003, 07:08 PM
The best Apple ad ever - 1984 - so good it changed advertising forever. Only ever shown nationally once, 19 1/2 years ago, and still talked about when the topic of great ads come up. Before that ad, people didn't watch the super bowl for commercials.

The worst Apple ad ever - lemmings - in 1985 - advertised the non-existant macintosh office and showed the intended market following each other walking off a cliff. I believe also only ever shown once - likely part of what led to Steve being fired from Apple.

I actually thought the new ad was great. It gets people's attention - where is this ad going, so they actually notice the computer at the end of the ad. I bet the ad brings people into the Apple store to check out the "world's fastest personal computer".

The Apple Store is Apple's big advertising push. The ads are aimed to get people interested enough to walk into the store. You can't go into an Apple store looking for a computer and not walk out impressed.

And the tosted pentium ad's were from when Steve was there. Nobody but Steve would do something like that. Thanks to motorolla - Steve couldn't tout speed for a long time. Now he can again, thanks to IBM. And it's only going to get better speed wise.

alandail
Jul 17, 2003, 07:20 PM
oh, and the toasted pentium ads were brilliant - completely wiped out Intel's whole ad campaign at the time.

I think Apple's been putting pieces into place over the past few years to start going after market share big time. They've done some things already, like the switch campaign, the apple stores, etc. But I think they have been busy putting the pieces in place to really get aggressive with it when the economy improves.

alandail
Jul 17, 2003, 07:25 PM
I still say the ad is good - but the VW-iPod ad is better. Wow - almost want to go buy a new car. :)

Sonofhaig
Jul 17, 2003, 07:26 PM
Here is the link to the "Pods unite" commercial....

polyesterlester
Jul 17, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
Here is the link to the "Pods unite" commercial....

I already posted that ;)

Rustus Maximus
Jul 17, 2003, 08:50 PM
I think both the ads are tastefully done, the VW ad especially. Very slick, very sophisticated. The 'exploding house' ad is just as Makosuke said...the G5 didn't need any programs running, it blew the guy away just by starting up ;). Besides guys, as several have already said this is just the 'teaser' commercial of the new G5 ad series I am sure. This ad is not aimed at that 'rabid MTV style ad' watching crowd some of you are talking about but there may be others that are. They will saturate every demographic they think may buy this thing.

Originally posted by MrMacman
Emm, good clip, (speaking of the VW ad) tho even in the commerical or online I still can't see the stuff at the bottom, its white on white... :wtf:

That stuff on the bottom of the screen isn't necessarily meant to be read ;)...it's just there for legal purposes so they can say, 'Hey...the disclaimers were there.'

beloit08
Jul 17, 2003, 09:00 PM
Putting individual specs in an ad won't get anyone's attention. Someone just completed a study that found most people are downright puzzled by tech jargaon (including, among other things, MP3 here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cmp/20030710/tc_cmp/12800053) ). So for Apple to pump up their ads with Dual Processors, 8Gigs RAM and etc. would be absurd.

Better would be ads touting something along the lines of "Two is better than one" and show people walking around with one shoe, or trying to play cymbals with just one, or trying to ride a bike with just one wheel.

MacsomJRR
Jul 17, 2003, 09:36 PM
To anyone who is bashing Apple's advertisements...

Have you seen the Dell adverts? "Dude your getting a Dell" has to be just about the lamest thing I've ever seen.

weev
Jul 17, 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by alandail

I actually thought the new ad was great. It gets people's attention - where is this ad going, so they actually notice the computer at the end of the ad. I bet the ad brings people into the Apple store to check out the "world's fastest personal computer".

The Apple Store is Apple's big advertising push. The ads are aimed to get people interested enough to walk into the store. You can't go into an Apple store looking for a computer and not walk out impressed.

Some good points here. Remember gang.. this ad IS NOT FOR YOU. You, my mac loving comrades, are already sold - you are, we all are!!!

This ad is for people who don't even know, aimed at drumming up interest. It had my attention. Though would like to have seen a full screen movie or some action on the monitor, at the moment, the box looks rather passive.

If it gets people talking about it, or wandering into the mac store then its successful. We (mac comrades) are already trying the squeeze the machine onto our credit cards and hence need no impressing --- most of you probably wartched the stevenote, admit it!

alandail
Jul 17, 2003, 10:23 PM
was watching tv tonight on the tivo - and realized the only commercials I ever watch are ones that catch my attention while they are flying by, so I go back and see what it was. If I didn't already know about the ad, and it happened to be on the show i was watching (which it wasn't), the G5 ad may have made me stop and see what the hole in the house was all about.

Squire
Jul 17, 2003, 11:15 PM

When I saw the number of posts on this thread (95 or something), my first thought was, People really care THAT much about Apple's advertising? But, if you want them to increase market share, I'd have to agree with "nuckinfutz" above.

For instance, I spent several hours on iMovie yesterday. Made me feel like Spielberg. Everyone who has a DV camcorder should want a Mac.

Edit (Afterthought): I suppose the idea was to get people into an Apple Store where they could play with it more. Also, they probably want to advertise the speed claim while they still can.

Squire

Squire
Jul 17, 2003, 11:40 PM
Dump Goldblum, what the hell has he done lately? He should have been eaten by dinosaurs long long ago

I bet 95% of the non-Mac users don't even know (or care) that the narration is done by Jeff Goldblum.

Squire

wdlove
Jul 18, 2003, 10:41 AM
I have a Power Mac G4, Internet Explorer 5.1 and just downloaded the latest version. Having a problem downloading the Quicktime movie of the G5 ad. I have Quicktime 6 Pro. On three occasions IE freezes and thereby locks up the the Mac. Can anyone help?

Snowy_River
Jul 18, 2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I have a Power Mac G4, Internet Explorer 5.1 and just downloaded the latest version. Having a problem downloading the Quicktime movie of the G5 ad. I have Quicktime 6 Pro. On three occasions IE freezes and thereby locks up the the Mac. Can anyone help?

I don't know if you'll consider this all that helpful, but my suggestion would be to dump IE. Use Safari or Camino. Both of these are, in my opinion, much better than the latest version of IE.

If you're still using OS 9, you might try using Mozilla. There are others that work well in OS 9, and, if you need them, I'm sure others will be happy to give you references.

jettredmont
Jul 18, 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Rustus Maximus
That stuff on the bottom of the screen isn't necessarily meant to be read ;)...it's just there for legal purposes so they can say, 'Hey...the disclaimers were there.'

Um, no, actually, if the text is not legible (white on white, or too small to be rendered and decipherable on a TV screen ... note however that "legible" means that if you record the commercial and freeze-frame the image, then work for a while figuring out the distorted text on screen you can eventually get what it is saying) then it has no legal weight. Granted, advertisers want to push the envelope as far as possible on this, but if push came to shove in a US court room there is a good chance that that particular disclaimer would be dismissed as illegible.

jettredmont
Jul 18, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Squire
I bet 95% of the non-Mac users don't even know (or care) that the narration is done by Jeff Goldblum.

Squire

Well, anyone who's heard Goldblum say more than ten words will likely recognize his voice, although they will more likely than not just attribute the voice to "that guy from Jurrassic Park" ...

I mean, I'm a fairly recent Mac user, and before I joined the cul... I mean, before I started using Macs I recognized Goldblum's voice on the Mac commercials.

FWIW, his voice grates on me.

Snowy_River
Jul 18, 2003, 04:23 PM
... but if push came to shove in a US court room there is a good chance that that particular disclaimer would be dismissed as illegible.

Uh... how so?

It says:

Get an iPod with purchase or lease of any 2003 New Beetle, except New Beetle Convertible.
Offer Available in US until 9/30/03, or while supplies last. Don't operate while driving.

It is quite legible when it first appears, as it is against the interior of the car, which is black.

Keithgreen46
Jul 19, 2003, 09:38 AM
I love it!!! Very Powerful Commercial.

However I do agree Apple should use the phrase "The New Apple g5, One of the Worlds Most Fastest computers".

But who knows maybe it's a good thing for their slogan. Look at all the attention it is creating, both good and negative. It has definetly got the Attention of the PC Community. We will soon find out when the G5 gets into the publics hands.

TreeJLC
Aug 7, 2003, 10:35 PM
An observation from a TV viewer:

Personally, I did not understand the commercial until tonight. I usually have the TV on in the background (watching A&E, TLC, etc) while working on the computer. I have seen the last part of the commercial, many times, but I had to watch it through the internet to finally figure out what was going on. Whenever it was shown on TV, the earliest that I changed my focus from what I was working on at the time to the commercial was during the zoom into the house, always wondering what created the big hole in the house leading up to the G5.

From the quicktime version from the internet, I now see where it starts out looking up at the sky while the guy is 'blown' overhead and rests against a tree.

By reading the comments here, I now understand that he was 'blown away' by just turning it on?

The marketing geniuses must have forgot the part about grabbing the viewer's attention at the beginning and not halfway through the commercial. They must have thought that everyone stays glued to every commercial and only goes to the kitchen or bathroom during the feature program. The only way to catch the start would be if you knew when the commercial would be shown so that the viewer would be ready (or rewind the tape) to see the setup to understand what was going on.

I think a better start, would have been to show him sitting down in front of the G5 and turning it on and then being 'blown away', allowing us to see what was so powerfull. As it is, it's like always hearing a funny joke after missing the first few setup lines and never understanding why it is so funny.

MacsomJRR
Aug 11, 2003, 02:11 AM
I would have to agree, the commercial is just far too complicated. It's really hard to associate the guy slamming into the tree and looking completely dazzed and confused with the deshelveled blasted ruins of the house as the camera pans directly from the guy into the hole it appears he "may" have come from. Wow, I mean does apple think that we all have advanced degrees in rocket science? The first couple of times I watched it I thought it was for a new kind of pepsi.

RBR2
Aug 11, 2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by MacsomJRR
I would have to agree, the commercial is just far too complicated. It's really hard to associate the guy slamming into the tree and looking completely dazzed and confused with the deshelveled blasted ruins of the house as the camera pans directly from the guy into the hole it appears he "may" have come from. Wow, I mean does apple think that we all have advanced degrees in rocket science? The first couple of times I watched it I thought it was for a new kind of pepsi.

I can tell you this much, several people I have asked about the commercial said 1) it did not catch their attention (I had to ask them to watch it all the way through next time), and 2) they would not look at, let alone buy, an Apple product on the basis of the commercial. They also asked me what the point of the commercial was. They were not Apple users. This commercial rated :o

MacsomJRR
Aug 11, 2003, 11:07 AM
Most people who don't use apple openly bash them anyway so that really doesn't mean too much. I think that the commercial was really freakin cool and did a great job portraying the awesome power of the new G5.

RBR2
Aug 11, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MacsomJRR
Most people who don't use apple openly bash them anyway so that really doesn't mean too much. I think that the commercial was really freakin cool and did a great job portraying the awesome power of the new G5.

Actually, you just illustrated the point, quite well, that many of the commercials which Apple has run appear to amuse some portion of the existing user base while being completely ineffective at attracting attention from anyone else.

The commercial does not illustrate the "power" of anything, unless it is supposed to be an explosive, as the computer is not doing anything that is apparent in the commercial. :rolleyes:

If the commercial motivates you to purchase a G5 then good. It is just that the commercials which Apple runs do not seem to motivate many other people to purchase their computers. The commercials, as a general matter, fail to portray the product in a favorable manner.