PDA

View Full Version : IMac & External Monitor

maradong
Jul 17, 2003, 01:00 AM
Howdy all,
well i got a new question ;-)
What about attaching an external monitor on the IMac 17'' ?
Well certainly I read the following on the Apple Site:

Video out support
Need to connect to an external VGA display, projector or TV? Thatís easy. Both iMac models feature mini-VGA output ports that work with an optional Apple VGA display adapter, and both support video mirroring. You can mirror your projects to an external display or projector ó perfect for presentations and for sharing your ideas. Additionally, the 17-inch iMac comes with support for S-Video and composite video signals, so you can display your multimedia projects on a big-screen TV: simply connect your TV to the video output port via the optional Apple Video Adapter, and youíre on television.

But nothing is said on the resolution on the external monitor, nor on stretching the monitor rather than mirroring it.
not beeing able to strech the monitor will not hold me off from buying, but it s like a little feature i d like to see.
TIA

Kwyjibo
Jul 17, 2003, 09:44 AM
The display will be mirrored not streched or extended....There is a hack tho to enabled the extnded desktops on the imacs. You do it at your own risk but heres the link, readi t all thru once before you do it. Hes a really nice guy too, i've emailed himm several times with "out of the box" questions

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

maradong
Jul 18, 2003, 02:10 AM
thx.
and what is the max resolution for the external monitor ?

Kwyjibo
Jul 18, 2003, 02:26 AM
Its the same limit as with any apple product so I think its whatever the 23" dispaly is right now, It supports a wide variety of resolutions tho. Unless your screen is extremly huge I think this will et u pick most any display size or atleast thats how it works on my ibook