PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a G5?

codycartoon
Jul 17, 2003, 02:24 AM
I have a 867 G4 quicksilver...and have been looking at the g5 and love it...should i hold on to the quicksilver for one more year? How much do you think i could get for the quicksilver? i am having a dilemma! what should i do? I am a filmmaker...and may be more of a documentary filmmaker this year...

thanks
-cody

Abstract
Jul 17, 2003, 02:29 AM
If you're seriously making films, then get the dual G5. Its a much better deal in the long term, I think. I don't think much of the single proc G5 models. Meh.

If you can't afford one, then stick with the Quicksilver until you can afford a dual proc model.

codycartoon
Jul 17, 2003, 03:27 PM
If you're seriously making films, then get the dual G5. Its a much better deal in the long term, I think. I don't think much of the single proc G5 models. Meh.

If you can't afford one, then stick with the Quicksilver until you can afford a dual proc model.

whats so bad about the single processor ones?

-cody

rundevilrun
Jul 17, 2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by codycartoon
whats so bad about the single processor ones?

-cody

It's not that they're bad, it's just that video software tends to make much better use of dual processors than other software. For example, rendering and encoding times can be cut by nearly half with 2 cpus.