PDA

View Full Version : Bumping threads to say, "SOLD!"

timswim78
Jul 3, 2007, 05:49 PM
I know that there is a rule against bumping FS/FT threads, and its intention is to try to maintain equity. In line with this rule, I have noticed multiple threads shut down because the OP violated the no bumping rule.

On the other hand, I see many, many threads in which the OP bumps the thread in order to say that the item is sold. Also, I have not seen any these threads shut down. (I'm not saying that this hasn't happened, just that I have not noticed it). In my opinion, bumping a thread to say, "SOLD" is more inconsiderate and detrimental to other threads than bumping an active threads is.

If your item is sold, can't you just edit the original post and let the thing drop? Is it really fair to bump sold threads over active threads?

What do you think?

Eraserhead
Jul 3, 2007, 06:01 PM
You just need to say SOLD somehow, it doesn't really matter, editing would be better but it's not a big deal.

Blue Velvet
Jul 3, 2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with you, people should edit their thread titles to say 'Sold'. Posting 'PM sent' is another bugbear.

But generally, we tend to immediately fix what is reported... people report thread bumps all over the forum (thank you); rarely do they report 'sold' bumps.

WildCowboy
Jul 3, 2007, 06:33 PM
I also agree with this suggestion.

To be fair, I don't think "Sold!" bumps really fall under the current bumping policy, as I don't think there's an intent to bump the thread. I think it's just easier for the OP to reply than to go in and edit their thread title or original post. But it disadvantages those who have open sales, so the minor inconvenience of an edit as opposed to a reply is outweighed by the desire to have available offers remain near the top as long as possible.

devilot
Jul 3, 2007, 06:43 PM
Couldn't the seller/ buyer report his/her own post and have the thread locked and title altered (if they're too "blank" to edit it themselves)?

WildCowboy
Jul 3, 2007, 06:46 PM
We don't lock threads at that point because we want to allow for feedback on the transaction from both the buyer and seller.

And we'd really prefer that they edit the title themselves (it's not that hard) rather than simply asking the mods to do it for them.

EricNau
Jul 3, 2007, 06:49 PM
I also agree with this suggestion.

To be fair, I don't think "Sold!" bumps really fall under the current bumping policy, as I don't think there's an intent to bump the thread. I think it's just easier for the OP to reply than to go in and edit their thread title or original post. But it disadvantages those who have open sales, so the minor inconvenience of an edit as opposed to a reply is outweighed by the desire to have available offers remain near the top as long as possible.
I agree. While it would be more considerate (and ideal) to change the title rather than add another post, I don't think their intention is to "bump" the thread because after all, their item is already sold.

jbernie
Jul 3, 2007, 08:09 PM
We don't lock threads at that point because we want to allow for feedback on the transaction from both the buyer and seller.

And we'd really prefer that they edit the title themselves (it's not that hard) rather than simply asking the mods to do it for them.

For just the threads where an item is for sale, could a function not be offered to the OP where they can click a button to mark the item as sold, so it inserts SOLD: at the start of the subject line, and doesn't change the last updated date/time and any other update required?

Another thing would be to force the thread to stay visible in the subscribed threads list until it is marked as sold in the subject line or closed by the mods? A nice little nag factor to encourage the OP to update the thread once sold. I guess you could also try to split the subscribed threads list to being "OP + item for sale" in a section at the top of the list and then all other threads after that?

I realize that the amount of work required is probably more than the problem deserves, but are the users not following the guidelines because they don't know/don't read them/don't care or potentially not changing it so they don't thread bump?

solvs
Jul 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
Probably editing your own post (preferably if it's last) with the mention that it's sold and a quick edit to the title saying the same so people won't click on it would be the best way. I don't know if that's a part of the new faq, haven't been to the marketplace in awhile, but maybe it should be if it isn't. I know it's more work for the mods to start enforcing this if it becomes a rule, but it might help in the long run.

tkidBOSTON
Jul 4, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think you're all thinking about this way too much.

mad jew
Jul 4, 2007, 11:20 PM
On the contrary. I'm not thinking about it at all.

OutThere
Jul 5, 2007, 12:33 AM
Posting 'PM sent'

Easily one of the most annoying things I have seen on the forum, and I never spend time looking at the marketplace.