PDA

View Full Version : Does the iTrip or other iPod Car Adapters work with iPhone?

RickR
Jul 3, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have a Griffin iTrip that I've used for quite awhile with my standard video iPod. I now have a iPhone and tried using it. The good news is it charges it so I don't have to purchase a car charger for the iPhone but it doesn't seem to play through to the stereo. Of course the iPhone has it's own speaker but is it possible to get it to play through any of these car adapters? I was hoping it's as simple as changing a setting somewhere on the iPhone. If not maybe someday they will come out with models which support the iPhone if that's possible.

sunday888
Jul 3, 2007, 11:07 PM
I have a Transpod in my truck. The iPhone fits, loosely, and it does play thorough the truck's speakers just fine. Every so often there is loud cell interference that is kinda annoying.

I've decided I don't really need to have the iPhone playing music or podcasts through my truck's FM--I can just use my iPod for that. I would like a charging cradle, though, that held the iPhone securely so I could see the screen easily.

PieMac
Jul 4, 2007, 10:37 AM
I would like to know this too...I have the XtremeMac iPod charger that I bought a year or so ago for my video iPod and it fits the iPhone perfectly. However, XtremeMac says that the circuitry is different between the iPhone and the iPod and they have a different/new charger available specifically for the iPhone...but they also advertise that this new charger works with the iPod as well....seems a bit contradictory to me. Hmmmm.

wethackrey
Jul 11, 2007, 05:22 AM
i purchased a new iTrip yesterday for use with my iPhone. Bad news. It does NOT play audio through the iTrip connection. Worse still, I believe there may be a serious issue with powering the iPhone via the iTrip. The iPhone appears to be connected to power and the battery appears to charge. However the battery gets physically EXTREMELY hot. So hot that I immediately unplugged it for fear of damaging the iPhone. When I did, the iPhone reported that its battery had LESS charge than before i connected it to the iTrip.

It's still too early to jump to any conclusions. I intend to stop at my local Apple Store today and discuss it with them. I've also fully charges my iPhone the conventional way and will connect it briefly to the iTrip and see if it again loses charge. I does appear certain that the audio does NOT work.

Until the definitive story surfaces I would AVOID ATTEMPTING TO CHARGE AN IPHONE WITH AN ITRIP. This is the "iTrip Auto" version, by the way. That's the in-line cable version, not the larger cradle version. There are posts on other forums that the cradle version works but only in "airplane mode".

arcsbite
Jul 25, 2007, 09:09 PM
I have an iTrip, one of these ones...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/assets/images/products/itripdock/prod_itripdock_main.jpg

and it works perfectly with my iPhone, I don't even need to put it into airplane mode.

carman63
Jul 26, 2007, 12:20 PM
I have a charger/FM transmitter by DLO that works. The one I have uses a USB-iPod connector, so I don't have a problem with fit.

One thing I noticed, and has been mentioned already, is the occasional noise transmitted with the music. This reminds me of my first GSM phone - a Motorola 3-band on T-Mobile. Just before a call came in, I'd get some radio interference.

That may be why the company mentioned previously (Griffin?) is coming out with a new FM transmitter designed for the iPhone.

MrAccent
Sep 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
Oddly enough, I only get a nag screen for the griffin power adapter I bought for the phone that says it is specifically for the phone ... doesn't phase me though, I just tell it to shut up and not go into airplane mode.

I have a cheap FM transmitter (the brand escapes me), that seems to work fine, plug it into belkin adapter and I get a perfect signal to my car stereo. No funny noises ... I can even talk on the phone and hear the conversation through the car stereo if I want to (although usually I just unplug the belkin adapter from the phone and carry on as usual).

I will be much happier when an iTrip is released for the iPhone, but it is a great stop gap in the meantime.

iPhone 4gig.....................................$299
Belkin Adapter.................................$9.99
Cheap FM Transmitter.......................$14.99

Listening to my music through my
iPhone while driving to work with
the top down at 5am........................PRICELESS