PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing DV Camcorder

iN8
Jul 17, 2003, 11:32 AM
I've been researching DV cameras for about a month now and can't decide now between the three I have narrowed it down to. I have a baby on the way, so I have to get it done now.

I have chosen based on the best feature set in my price range ( $650-700).

Here they are in the order I prefer:
1) Canon Optura 20
2) Sony DCR-TRV22
3) Canon ZR70

If anyone has any experience with any of these cameras that could sway me either way, I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks,
iN8

P-Worm
Jul 17, 2003, 11:52 AM
Trust me on this one:

Get the Panasonic PV-GS70.

You can find it for $750 and you are not going to find a better picture than that sucker. I just got mine and I couldn't be happier with it. You see, this camera has 3 CCD's. Regular camcorders only have one so you get color bleed. But 3 CCD's allows the color to be split in to it's components for nearly flawless picture quality.

Get the Panasonic PV-GS70 and I promice that you will be happy with your decision.

Email me or use iChat (AIM handle pworm420) if you want any more info.

P-Worm

dabirdwell
Jul 17, 2003, 12:14 PM
If you buy online, Sony's TRV-38 also falls in your price range and offers a little more than the 22

solvs
Jul 17, 2003, 12:22 PM
Buy it from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/). Or Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/). Good service, cheap shipping, nice prices. Have had good luck with both.

FriarTuck
Jul 17, 2003, 12:52 PM
The Panasonic is $900 at B & H. I got the TRV 22 for nearly $300 less there ($630).

Of course, you can always pay 50 percent more and get a better camera. But I though we had a budget here.

Canon makes great still cameras, but you will find lots of folks unhappy with their DV stuff.

Blackstealth
Jul 17, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by FriarTuck
Canon ... you will find lots of folks unhappy with their DV stuff.

If you go with Canon it's only their pro DV stuff that's any good, their low end consumer range isn't worth the cardboard it comes in.

I've got an XL1S at work and I wouldn't trade it for anything, it's the smoothest piece of kit I've worked with in a long time.

I'd second the Panasonic, 3 CCDs makes all the difference.

trebblekicked
Jul 17, 2003, 01:46 PM
be aware; consumer electronics is not B&H's strongpoint. Of three consumer grade products i bought there this year, two broke (SVHS VCR and Sharp MiniDV Viewcam) less than a month after their respective warranties expired. bad luck? maybe. just wanted to let you know.

but as for the camera, i agree w/ P-Worm in the Panasonic. if you can' find it in your price range, the sony seems the best bet. i also own a couple XL1's, and have used a ZR-10, and canon's consumer line is less than stellar.

iN8
Jul 17, 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by dabirdwell
If you buy online, Sony's TRV-38 also falls in your price range and offers a little more than the 22

I read a review that said the low light performace of the TRV33 was worse than the TRV22 due to its smaller CCD. I don't know how worse it is?

Edit: Sorry, I read 33 not 38. Disregard my comments.

iN8
Jul 17, 2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your input so far. I was a little iffy about Canon's low light performance, but have read good reviews about the Optura 20 which kind of swayed me back to their side, though only for that model.

I also like the TRV22 a lot. My only con (but it's not major) is the touchscreen, I prefer buttons.

iN8
Jul 17, 2003, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience purchasing from butterflyphoto.com

They have good prices, but they may be too good.

StarmanDeluxe
Jul 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
I got the Elura 40MC at buydig.com for something like $650. It's an awesome, really small camera, and at that price (it retails for $999) it's hard to pass up.

Flowbee
Jul 17, 2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by trebblekicked
be aware; consumer electronics is not B&H's strongpoint. Of three consumer grade products i bought there this year, two broke (SVHS VCR and Sharp MiniDV Viewcam) less than a month after their respective warranties expired. bad luck? maybe.

B&H doesn't manufacture the products, they just sell them. I don't think they're selling a special batch of products that are set to break right after the warranty expires. I think you've got some bad luck there, my friend.