PDA

View Full Version : Monster Cable iCarCharger ?

TydalForce
Jul 4, 2007, 09:56 AM
Before I head off to the store and waste my time and money, has anybody tested the line out connector on the MonsterCable iCarCharger ?

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132

The website does say "iPhone Compatible", but I'd much prefer confirmation.

I just bought a couple weeks ago, a similar item from Belkin:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193794
But it's audio jack doesn't work with the iPhone.
I still have time to exchange it, I think...

Goldenbear
Jul 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
Keep in mind that everything coming from Monster Cable is hopelessly over-priced. Some of it is actually pretty decent quality (unlike Bose), but you're paying 2-3x too much in most cases.

Gonzlobo
Jul 4, 2007, 03:27 PM
Before I head off to the store and waste my time and money, has anybody tested the line out connector on the MonsterCable iCarCharger ?

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132

The website does say "iPhone Compatible", but I'd much prefer confirmation.

I just bought a couple weeks ago, a similar item from Belkin:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193794
But it's audio jack doesn't work with the iPhone.
I still have time to exchange it, I think...

Jeez man, don't waste money on monster cables. There are many alternatives for cables, like cablesforless.com. I spent $15 for a HDTV HDMI cable whereas it would've cost $120+ at monster. My HDMI cable works flawlessly!

Note: you're probably not going to find apple cables there. :)

Cybergypsy
Jul 4, 2007, 03:48 PM
the monster charger is 13.99 on ebay I should have it buy tomorrow

hardcastle
Jul 4, 2007, 04:59 PM
I have this charger in my Element. The charge works, but I do not get audio. I get the warning saying it's not compatible and that's it. Maybe other cars would have different luck, but mine is the standard AUX in so I bet it's pretty much the same everywhere.

TydalForce
Jul 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have this charger in my Element. The charge works, but I do not get audio. I get the warning saying it's not compatible and that's it. Maybe other cars would have different luck, but mine is the standard AUX in so I bet it's pretty much the same everywhere.

thank you for the information; I won't bother with it at this point then.

To everybody else: I know full well that Monster Cable products are typically way overpriced for what they are. The point here is the LINE OUT -- there are exactly TWO products I've found that have the audio pulling through the dock connector, both of which I mentioned in my first post. I was only considering the Monster Cable product because they were among the few offering the feature I'm looking for.

FYI, a search on cablesforless.com for both "iPod" and "iPhone" turned up zero results.

Joshua8o8
Jul 5, 2007, 04:35 AM
I have a monster F.M. transmitter for my ipod. It works great for my ipod, it charges it while plugged into a 12 volt outlet ( the cigarette lighter thing ). I tried to plug my iphone in and it will charge it but it wont play any music through the cars stereo. Im scared to use it to charge my iphone because i dont know if it will over charge it or what. Do you guys think its safe?

TydalForce
Jul 5, 2007, 06:16 AM
Im scared to use it to charge my iphone because i dont know if it will over charge it or what. Do you guys think its safe?

It should be OK; the charging itself (and when to stop) should be regulated by the iPhone itself. I can't imagine any adapter that was built for the iPod having any problem charging the iPhone...

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer - take my advice at your own risk ;-}

hardcastle
Jul 6, 2007, 07:46 PM
thank you for the information; I won't bother with it at this point then.

To everybody else: I know full well that Monster Cable products are typically way overpriced for what they are. The point here is the LINE OUT -- there are exactly TWO products I've found that have the audio pulling through the dock connector, both of which I mentioned in my first post. I was only considering the Monster Cable product because they were among the few offering the feature I'm looking for.

FYI, a search on cablesforless.com for both "iPod" and "iPhone" turned up zero results.

FWIW, this Monster iCar charger has worked great with my iPod. It's the only Monster product I own as this one's not really overpriced when you compare it to other solutions out there.

hidehide
Oct 26, 2007, 10:28 PM
Anybody using this right now?
I just bought one from office depot for $13.99
And it charges and the audio out works ok too.
But can anyone please make sure this charger is ok for the iphone? because I heard belkin auto kit will damge the phone..
And do I have to unplug the charger? Or can I just leave it plug in the whole night??
And is that I should plug the charger to the cigarette plug first before I plug it in the phone?
Thanks for answering my question!