PDA

View Full Version : Power Support Crystal Jacket?

AudiMane
Jul 4, 2007, 09:58 AM
Anyone buy the Power Support Crystal Jacket Set for iPhone? If so how is it?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B3FAC19&nplm=TN613LL/A

joekix
Jul 4, 2007, 01:00 PM
i'd also like to know

note235
Jul 4, 2007, 01:12 PM
looks sleek
do they sell this at the apple store?

AudiMane
Jul 5, 2007, 07:29 PM
looks sleek
do they sell this at the apple store?
yes they do

anyone?

iforaneye
Jul 7, 2007, 10:45 AM
...but dont yet have my iphone! It looks good though- although it has a seam on the sides to pull it apart which is not that attractive. Its only good to protect the back of the phone really- i'll post when i get my phone in it!

dubels
Jul 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
I just got my iphone today and I want to know about that case too. It comes with a screen protector and everything. The store I went to only had some incase cases and I got the leather one but I want to return it.

siurpeeman
Jul 9, 2007, 06:21 PM
it works great. if you apply it just right, you can't even tell it's there, and it doesn't affect the sensitivity the touch input one bit. apple stores seem to be sold out, and buying it online ends up being a bit more expensive than buying directly from the manufacturer. go to the power support website, and order direct. it's $16 with minimal tax (if in CA), but shipping is free, opposed to the $4 apple charges.

website can be found here (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone_filmset.php).

joekix
Jul 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
it works great. if you apply it just right, you can't even tell it's there, and it doesn't affect the sensitivity the touch input one bit. apple stores seem to be sold out, and buying it online ends up being a bit more expensive than buying directly from the manufacturer. go to the power support website, and order direct. it's $16 with minimal tax (if in CA), but shipping is free, opposed to the $4 apple charges.

website can be found here (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone_filmset.php).

this was for the case too, and not just the film.

siurpeeman
Jul 9, 2007, 06:29 PM
this was for the case too, and not just the film.

navigating to the website, you can find the jacket here (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone_case.php). however, they're selling it as a pre-order only. call around. ebay?

roland.g
Jul 9, 2007, 10:32 PM
I have just the Crystal Film which I got before my iPhone, but now have both. I swear by it, it works great. Don't have the Crystal Jacket but I do have the silicon jacket for my 2G 8GB nano as does my wife for hers, and Powersupport makes great stuff. If I didn't have to pay shipping for it, I would probably buy an Illusion case for my 2G Nano, if they had them at the Apple Store. Of course with the cases, chargers, and bluetooth I'm getting for my iPhone, I don't really need to buy a 2ndary case for my Nano.

Joshua8o8
Jul 10, 2007, 05:29 PM
i bought the protective film directly from power support as well. I didn't need the black piece because i already have a belkin accrylic case on my phone. The product is wonderful i highly recommend it. I cant even tell it's there and it feels just like the iphones surface. I would take a picture of it and post it, but for what, you cant see it.. haha

whawhat
Jul 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
i bought the protective film directly from power support as well. I didn't need the black piece because i already have a belkin accrylic case on my phone. The product is wonderful i highly recommend it. I cant even tell it's there and it feels just like the iphones surface. I would take a picture of it and post it, but for what, you cant see it.. haha

power support protective film = it's crap = was surprised it got such positive comments. both mine arrived scratched. they should really protect both sides of the shield until application.

i had clarivue.com shields for my old motorola and loved it so hopefully the iphone version is just as reliable.

ollie3856
Jul 10, 2007, 07:02 PM
I've seen you post the same in other threads, although it seems like just about everyone else is happy with it...i have no idea how it got scratched, mine arrived sealed in plastic wrap, in a sturdy cardboard sleeve, with the backing on, so that's multiple layers of 'protection'...someone would literally have had to have taken a knife to the sleeve to cause any damage, if yours arrived scratched (and they are in fact from power support) i would send them back.

MACsimus19
Jul 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'm currently using the full crystal jacket setup with my iPhone.

The screen protector is fantastic. At first I was worried with my initial application of the shield. I thought that some bubbles got trapped in there and was a bit dismayed...after letting it settle a little bit (im sure the heat from charging/use helped a bit) it looks perfect. You really can't tell that there is a film on there.

The actual protective case is pretty nice. The fit is great, there is only the slightest bit of rattle. You can still appreciate the asthetics of the iPhone and it adds a minimal amount of bulk to the svelte frame of the phone. The belt clip is also a great addition and can be used on either the front or back of the case.

I've had no issues with the proximity sensor nor have I had any problems with receptivity to touch input (due to the shield).

I originally purchased a black InCase protective rubber case and returned it after reading the scratching problems people had on this forum. I can confirm that the case does in fact lose its tight fit after a while and scratch the chrome. Upon taking it off, I noticed that there were 2 or 3 scratches where there hadn't been before putting the InCase on. *Let me stress that I was meticulous about particles, dust and babied the hell out of the phone.

I really liked the way the black InCase looked so returning it bummed me out a bit. Can't complain too much though, so far I'm very pleased with the new setup. I can actually put it in my pocket and not worry about it any more (sorta :) ).

I've also ordered the Marware black sport grip case which was reviewed very well by iLounge. I'm curious to see which setup I like the best.

Maybe InCase will improve upon its design and not stretch so much contributing to the problems with friction/scratching. We'll see.

I'll keep everyone posted.

:apple:

coelacanth
Jul 12, 2007, 02:30 AM
My local Apple Store just got the crystal case today, and I'm testing out now as I type this on my iPhone.

It feels really great and less bulky compare to iSee and more comfortable than belkin's. It has very slight clearance btwn the case and iPhone and I'm a bit afraid of that causing scratches. Also the joint of the two parts of the case is a bit too loose. I'm testing how well it holds on my carpetted floor..

A tip to avoid scratches by plastic cases. Apply a generic screen protector on the back of the phone as well as crystal film on the lcd glass. This way you'll have enough room btwn the case and iphone and it prevents dusts to get too close to the phone that uliltimately causes scratches.

iforaneye
Jul 13, 2007, 07:45 PM
I wasted both. Dust free environment is near impossible. Tried to put it on multiple times. Dust got in- bubbles. Tried the second one- also failed. Threw them both away. Putting it on is way tough. I totally wasted my $ Looks like it would work good though had I got it on properly

MACsimus19
Jul 13, 2007, 08:03 PM
I wasted both. Dust free environment is near impossible. Tried to put it on multiple times. Dust got in- bubbles. Tried the second one- also failed. Threw them both away. Putting it on is way tough. I totally wasted my $ Looks like it would work good though had I got it on properly

you have to be super careful when putting on but if you get it right its basically perfection. Nobody can even tell its on, I couldn't be happier with it.

AudiMane
Jul 14, 2007, 05:37 AM
thanks for the reviews so far guys, I just bought the case the other day but still waiting for my iphone to come on monday. Ill let you know how the case/film is when its on.

AudiMane
Jul 17, 2007, 04:10 AM
well i got the phone and put the case on today. I love the film the most it looks and works great! The case is nice, very flush and clean but it comes apart to easy, im afraid if i were to drop it it would just pop apart. Also the bottom left corner is a little loose but other than that its a good case for some extra protection.

:apple:wes

iforaneye
Jul 17, 2007, 04:21 AM
finally went back to apple store and had them put on the crystal film on the phone- it looks and works great- highly recommend. As far as the crystal case- I ended up getting an incase rubber case instead. It looks and feels great and will be more protective on drops- also super grippy in the hand. The crystal case I don't think will handle a drop well. I highly suggest the incase instead.

fbx
Jul 17, 2007, 05:16 AM

Hang on there! Power Support says you can clean and reapply the Crystal Film set -- what gives with the throw away?

Are you saying these films (supposed to adhere by "static cling") can't be washed and reapplied?

Thanks--

MACsimus19
Jul 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
finally went back to apple store and had them put on the crystal film on the phone- it looks and works great- highly recommend. As far as the crystal case- I ended up getting an incase rubber case instead. It looks and feels great and will be more protective on drops- also super grippy in the hand. The crystal case I don't think will handle a drop well. I highly suggest the incase instead.

Theres a rather large thread about how damaging the incase rubber case can be. I owned the incase for a while and I can tell you that the scratching claims are very real. I actually dropped my phone in the power jacket and it held up just fine. The case poped open but absorbed the shock and left the phone unscathed.

SaleenS351
Jul 18, 2007, 12:05 AM
I have the film and getting it on without any dust or little hairs(dog) was impossible for me, tried cleaning and starting over. Got it on with the least amount possible. Will the little particles and hair cause scratches on the screen, or am I good to go? Seeing the particles a little doesn't bother me if I have the protection.

destroyer4
Jul 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
I just got this case today. It looks great, but the case itself seems to come apart some what easy. The best part about it is the holster. With the case on it completely locks in and won't go anywhere. Slick and lean also. Fells nice. I also bought the mareware sidewinder. Great idea, but the phone doesnt lock in and falls out of the holster easily. Really hoped this one would work. :-(. Still have the speck case and holster. I like the case, feels like the phone is protected well, but doeant sit in the holster that great. I must say that the silicone cover from the speck and the holster from the crystal jacket almost works best together. A little loose in the holster, but snug enough that it wont fall out. Anyway, the sidewinder is definatly going back....

HkyGrL2
Jul 23, 2007, 04:32 PM
I just returned my second case and got the crystal case in exchange. The film is awesome. You have to make sure to really clean the phone well and make sure there isn't any lint. Once it's one whip itft with the cloth to make sure to get any air bubbles out.
I have read a lot of bad reviews on the case (after I bought it), so I'm crossing my fingers on this one. This will be my third and last one....well I might try the xtreme mac or evo once they come out if the crystal jacket doesn't work out.
The first case I bought was the ispeck, which was a joke. I put it on as I was leaving the store and went directly back in to return it. I got the Incase in black and returned it today and got the crystal jacket. Hopefully, my iphone won't move around in it and get scratches!
I'll let you know how it goes after a couple of days.

Oh, and it's not as bulky or heavy as you might think. It's actually pretty nice.

drater
Jul 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
ironic:

I went to the apple store two days in a row to see if they had any...none.

Oh well, I went home and ordered them online. 3-5 day shipping. ugh. Went to the store to exchange my phone for the 8gb version, they had like 200 crystal films...doh!

So, like me, I just bought one, and now am trying to cancel my phone order. I can't wait for anything :-)

Update: I e-mailed the sales service support and they refunded my account. They said they have already processed and shipped the jackets but would refund my account anyways. So nice of them. :-)

HkyGrL2
Jul 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
So, since my last post I have noticed the crystal jacket becoming loose? I don't know how that is possible, since it's not rubber or stretchable. My phone does move around in it. It's very faint though. I think someone mentioned something about putting a tiny piece of foam for a tight fit. I might have to try it.
Here are actual pics of what it looks like with the crystal jacket and then when it's in my timbuk2 accessory case. It gives you an idea as to how bulky it isn't. Oh, did I mentioned I love the film that comes with it. If you're going to invest in something, definitely get the film. You can't even tell it's on.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0482.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0481.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0479.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0487.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0483.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0486.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/gmuhkygrl2/IMG_0492.jpg

drater
Jul 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
looks good, but looks bulky...too bulky for me, I'm waiting for my bse to come so I can cover the back. the crystal jacket for the screen went on perfect and I can hardly tell its there.

HkyGrL2
Jul 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
looks good, but looks bulky...too bulky for me, I'm waiting for my bse to come so I can cover the back. the crystal jacket for the screen went on perfect and I can hardly tell its there.

bse?

kilana
Jul 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
Like I said...."it MAY scratch your iphone." I have that Power Support Crystal jacket and loved it....until I decided to remove it to clean the iphone and noticed scratches on the Power Supoort Crystal Film where the jacket is open to expose the touch screen.

When I get the chance, I'll take pictures of it and post.

Great jacket, it wasn't too bulky....but MAY scratch/scuff. I have since kept it off...but the crystal film is awesome.

thechidz
Jul 25, 2007, 07:55 PM
bse?

Best skins ever

www.bestskinsever.com

:)

Mines on order...

kilana
Jul 25, 2007, 09:44 PM
Not the greatest photos, but well enough to see the scratches/scuffs from the Crystal Jacket.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/kilanakane/IMG_0451copycopy.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/kilanakane/IMG_0450copycopy.jpg

BTW...I had my iphone in the Crystal Jacket for a few days only.

Keep in mind....the damage is only on the Crystal Film...Maybe the jacket won't scratch the touch screen glass...but maybe it would.

HkyGrL2
Jul 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
Best skins ever

www.bestskinsever.com

:)

Mines on order...

OMG, that's too funny. I remember seeing that somewhere and was thinking the other day I should get it. Let us know how it goes!

thechidz
Jul 26, 2007, 12:23 AM
Not the greatest photos, but well enough to see the scratches/scuffs from the Crystal Jacket.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/kilanakane/IMG_0451copycopy.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/kilanakane/IMG_0450copycopy.jpg

BTW...I had my iphone in the Crystal Jacket for a few days only.

Keep in mind....the damage is only on the Crystal Film...Maybe the jacket won't scratch the touch screen glass...but maybe it would.

hmmm, yeah tough to say. People really seem to dig the crystal fil but if your getting that much free-space from the jacket I would say trash it...

Joshua8o8
Aug 2, 2007, 01:08 AM
power support protective film = it's crap = was surprised it got such positive comments. both mine arrived scratched. they should really protect both sides of the shield until application.

i had clarivue.com shields for my old motorola and loved it so hopefully the iphone version is just as reliable.

I would just like to say... WHAWHAT ?!?!

HkyGrL2
Aug 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
So yeah, I returned it. It did end up leaving some scratches on the film and phone. I took it off last week and have had it naked ever since. It does just fine that way. But, if you look back up at the pictures, I still use the timbuk2 accessory case. I LOVE IT.
That's the third case and probably the last one for a good while.

FloDro
Oct 29, 2007, 11:39 AM
I for the life of me cant figure out how to take off the case... The people at the apple store put it on for me and it needs to be cleaned now. How exactly do you get it off? Ive tried pushing pulling and i just cant seem to figure it out!

Jayhawk85
Oct 30, 2007, 07:35 PM
The case looked great for the first 20 minutes, then it started picking up all kinds of dust under the plastic. Because it is a smooth clear plastic it gets tons of tiny scratches whenever you set the phone down, after a while they become really visible. The Crystal Shield and the belt clip are great though, I'm currently using them both with an Agent18 ecoshield, which I highly recommend.

mrmiguelm
Jan 25, 2008, 08:08 PM
I for the life of me cant figure out how to take off the case... The people at the apple store put it on for me and it needs to be cleaned now. How exactly do you get it off? Ive tried pushing pulling and i just cant seem to figure it out!

I've tried everything I can to get this case off but it won't budge. I'm affraid if I pry any harder it's going to break. Is there a trick to it?

yOyOYoo
Jan 26, 2008, 02:47 AM
I've tried everything I can to get this case off but it won't budge. I'm affraid if I pry any harder it's going to break. Is there a trick to it?

Pry harder! I have this case too but I don't want it. It's going back up for sale too... way too bulky IMO!

ConscienzQ
Jan 27, 2008, 09:08 PM
I just got the Agent18 ecoshield and my friend has the belt clip for the crystal jacket and it works sooooo well together. Does anybody have or know where I can get that particular clip. I don't want to buy a whole set when I all I want is the clip. Would appreciate positive feedback, thanks!

myphone
Jan 28, 2008, 06:17 PM

You have to open the case from the opening of volume control. That's the only spot that you can open it. I always doing this once a week to clean it.

myphone
Jan 28, 2008, 06:25 PM
I just got the Agent18 ecoshield and my friend has the belt clip for the crystal jacket and it works sooooo well together. Does anybody have or know where I can get that particular clip. I don't want to buy a whole set when I all I want is the clip. Would appreciate positive feedback, thanks!

Why not buy the whole set? You're going to get the Crystal film, Crystal jacket and Clip. Is the Agent18 is really better? You have any review/link for Agent18 because my Crystal jacket is wearing off (time for replacement).

a0911091837
Sep 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
Finally find the seller in UK with free delivery, arrive within 2 days!

Fantastic case, I especially love the stand, my mum now watch her cooking program with the stand in the kitchen!:apple:

Hope this help: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Support-Crystal-Jacket-Set-iPhone-3G-S-/180552443854?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item2a09c3a7ce

Ever34
Sep 16, 2010, 07:08 PM
Holy time warp.:eek: