PDA

View Full Version : Better To Let My iPhone Die And Then Charge?

Jul 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
Ok is it better for the iPhone battery if I just plug it in every night even thought it may still have a half a charge or some other amount of charge or should I keep using it till it dies then charge it?

billchase2
Jul 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
I was wondering the same thing... there was another thread about this but I never got a final answer. One thing that Apple's site says to do, is let it totally die about once a month and it'll help the battery life.

ollie3856
Jul 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
i actually let mine run all the way down (wasnt deliberate, I was on the train) and bad things happened...all of my media (vids/music/photos) disappeared from my iphone, then itunes wouldnt recognize my iphone (not even when I did a soft reset). Thank goodness for the itunes sync/backup feature, I did a hard reset, itunes detected and restored all previous settings (email/contacts/media)

iSaint
Jul 4, 2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think Apple recommends any method for managing iPod batteries. Nor do phone companies do so for mobile phones, so I don't think there's any real way to manage an iPhone battery.

ndriver182
Jul 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I was looking for information from Apple about this, but I couldn't find anything on the website or in their instruction manual for that matter about proper battery charging technique. So I guess it can't be THAT big of a deal. Either that or they're trying to sneak in our phones for battery replacement sooner than later... ;)

Jul 5, 2007, 01:55 AM
So it wont hurt if I just plug my iPhone whenever im not using it?

Joshua8o8
Jul 5, 2007, 04:50 AM
I heard that cell phone batteries are only able to handle a certain ammount of charges. For example if a battery can be charged 300 times, every time you plug it in regardless of the ammount of charge left you take away one possible charge. So if you charged it only once you now have about 299 more times it can hold a charge.. Know what I mean? So I try and let my battery go as low as possible before charging it.

Cybergypsy
Jul 5, 2007, 08:16 AM
My old cell stayed pluged in the car over a year, never had a batt issue, hope i do before on year is up :)loo

drober30
Jul 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle.

Here is the link that will answer your questions regarding Lithium-ion batteries.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 7, 2007, 12:32 PM
A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle.

Here is the link that will answer your questions regarding Lithium-ion batteries.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Thanks for the link, good info I never knew....

Here is the link about the iPhone battery....

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

The iPhone uses a lithium ion polymer battery - which is more prone to temperature than some other batteries. Hoping that the link you gave still is valid on this type of battery.