PDA

View Full Version : Ringtones Stored as AAC Files on iPhone

MacRumors
Jul 4, 2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

There are a number of ongoing efforts to unlock/activate or otherwise customize the iPhone. One of the (seemingly) more successful ones has managed to get a full listing of the iPhone's filesystem.

There isn't a whole lot revealed in the iPhone's file system contents, but one tidbit is that Ringtones appear to be stored as .m4a (unprotected AAC) files, suggesting that adding custom ringtones would be as simple as copying AAC files into the appropriate directory.

/Library/Ringtones
/Library/Ringtones/Alarm.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Ascending.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Bark.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Bell Tower.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Blues.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Boing.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Crickets.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Digital.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Doorbell.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Duck.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Harp.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Motorcycle.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Old Car Horn.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Old Phone.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Piano Riff.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Pinball.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Robot.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Sci-Fi.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Sonar.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Strum.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Timba.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Time Passing.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Trill.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Xylophone.m4a

The original site has asked not to be linked, but more information can be obtained via IRC (#iphone on irc.osx86.hu)

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
The original site has asked not to be linked, but more information can be obtained via IRC (#iphone on irc.osx86.hu)

Shhhhhh that is where i'm getting all the information from for the updates I was putting in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325014). (quite a few juicy details)

"06 07 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04"= "Microsoft file formats";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 02"= "Microsoft Word";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 03"= "Microsoft Excel";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 04"= "Microsoft Project";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 05"= "Microsoft PowerPoint";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 06"= "Microsoft Works";

G5Unit
Jul 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
This should be hacked in the next hours I presume:D

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 01:49 PM
This should be hacked in the next hours I presume:D

The current feeling is that it may happen over night tonight.

milks
Jul 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
suhhhweeet :D

jimN
Jul 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
Maybe it'll end up being a Windows on Intel scenario where the hackers get this sorted with a bodge job and the Apple release a tidy little software update that gives everyone this anyway in a fully supported format.

nato64
Jul 4, 2007, 02:08 PM
Is there a way to access these files on our iPhones? It seems that Apple has reinvented the syncing process for the iPhone and made it so that it's not recognized as a disk during syncing like iPods.

loudestnoise
Jul 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
Assuming this could happen, it would be interesting to see if someone develops an app that allows us to actually browse the filesystem of iPhone and drop in files in the appropriate folder thus circumventing iTunes - iPhone synchronization.

MichaelLatta
Jul 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
There was a rumor on MacRummors that future releases of iPhone software would support a full file browser and custom ring tones. I suspect there were a number of features cut for the initial release to get it stable. Disk mode is supposed to come back when the file browser is complete. There is also rumored to be a chat client coming (I would think using the current SMS interface).

kwood
Jul 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
In theory could you not just replace the file with the one you want?

e.g. rename "Song A" to "Alarm.m4a", move the file to /Library/Ringtones/.

As long as the file is in AAC format it should work.

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 03:29 PM
In theory could you not just replace the file with the one you want?

e.g. rename "Song A" to "Alarm.m4a", move the file to /Library/Ringtones/.

As long as the file is in AAC format it should work.

Probably won't even need to go that route. Direct info from a team of hackers

new ringtones = easy

Telp
Jul 4, 2007, 03:30 PM
How do you access these files, or atleast, how are you able to view all this?

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
How do you access these files, or atleast, how are you able to view all this?

There are a couple of places around where you can pick up the decrypted disk images. However when it comes to actually getting these onto the iPhones well that information as far as I am aware hasn't been released yet but from the chit chatter and information releases seems as if they have it working on iPhones.

And of course there is the wiki which can't be linked if you want to read about everything going on. If you really cant find the wiki PM and i can provide a link.

dr427
Jul 4, 2007, 04:05 PM
Does a bluetooth sync allow viewing of the files????

Telp
Jul 4, 2007, 04:14 PM

YOu cant do a bluetooth sync as of yet, hopefully that comes soon.

aleksivic
Jul 4, 2007, 04:29 PM
I haven't looked into this but is the "restore" button linked to a DMG that was recently cracked?

If so, why not open that DMG and copy AAC files into the /Library/Ringtones folder and hit 'restore'? =)

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 04:32 PM
I haven't looked into this but is the "restore" button linked to a DMG that was recently cracked?

If so, why not open that DMG and copy AAC files into the /Library/Ringtones folder and hit 'restore'? =)

Because it a lot more complicated than that. The disk image is encryted, hell even the pngs inside the image are non standard and proving a massive difficulty to open.

sminman
Jul 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
where is this directory found?

How can I just place one of my own songs in the directory with the appropriate format?

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
where is this directory found?

How can I just place one of my own songs in the directory with the appropriate format?

It is found in Library/Ringtones, this is on the iPhone obviously. This is currently not something people, who are out of the inner circle, are able to do.

Little side not the ringtones were created in iTunes 7.1.2

Telp
Jul 4, 2007, 05:26 PM
Where's the ringtones tabs in iTunes like we saw in the keynote? :D

rwdebes
Jul 4, 2007, 05:39 PM
damn i want so bad ringtones tab on itunes.. CMON APPLE !!

It is found in Library/Ringtones, this is on the iPhone obviously. This is currently not something people, who are out of the inner circle, are able to do.

Little side not the ringtones were created in iTunes 7.1.2

maybe soon hackers will make an app that let you config iphone or mess with folders.. ;)

B-Ri
Jul 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
*** Welcome to CGI:IRC 0.5.9 (2006/06/06)
*** Looking up irc.osx86.hu
*** Connecting to irc.osx86.hu
-fusion.osx86.hu- *** Looking up your hostname...
-fusion.osx86.hu- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
-fusion.osx86.hu- *** You are permanently banned from Freedom (proxies)
*** Closing Link b-ri (User has been permanently banned from Freedom (proxies))
*** Disconnected from IRC (click to reconnect)

what was quick and unexpected.

rwdebes
Jul 4, 2007, 05:52 PM
-fusion.osx86.hu- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead

wtf is that dude ?

Telp
Jul 4, 2007, 05:54 PM

Dude, you gotta explain what that is, to most people, including me, thats just random nonsense...

B-Ri
Jul 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
basically provided irc server and room number banned me as i tried to log in.

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 05:57 PM
Dude, you gotta explain what that is, to most people, including me, thats just random nonsense...

Well it seems as if they tried to connect to the irc and got denied because they were banned?

cisco1138
Jul 4, 2007, 10:40 PM

At first I was dissapointed to find no functionality after pairing my iMac and my iPhone. Then I realized, who needs bluetooth when there is USB and Wi-Fi! I am hopefull to see my iPhone show up as part of my home network sometime soon.

Telp
Jul 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
Usb? Where?

sishaw
Jul 5, 2007, 08:05 AM
At first I was dissapointed to find no functionality after pairing my iMac and my iPhone. Then I realized, who needs bluetooth when there is USB and Wi-Fi! I am hopefull to see my iPhone show up as part of my home network sometime soon.

Bluetooth syncing is nice, I do it with my iBook & t-mobile SDA (via The Missing Sync), I hope that Apple adds this functionality to the iPhone.

pdnellius
Jul 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
xUKHCx,

Any status on the hacking situation? It'd be nice to change the ringtones before :apple: releases an update.

xUKHCx
Jul 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
It seems as if yesterday was a series of dead ends but lots of useful information was discovered so it wasn't a total waste.

I have been posting the updates in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3875822#post3875822), perhaps not the most appropriate thread but i started posting there so i thought it is best to keep them all in the same place. (There is a lot of other discussion going on in that thread about the legality etc. so you may have to cut through the guff.)

All of these updates come from the irc + wiki. My offer still stands to provide links to the wiki but due to the requests of the developer team it won't be posted, you'll have to PM me.

Mr. Zarniwoop
Jul 5, 2007, 08:44 AM
Just the ringtone files for download, for those who are curious: iPhone 1.0 Ringtones (http://www.4shared.com/file/19217851/e1d4e251/iPhone_10_Ringtones.html)

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 5, 2007, 09:44 AM

Um.... yea, what the heck is this?

xUKHCx
Jul 5, 2007, 09:45 AM
Um.... yea, what the heck is this?

read the top two posts on this page.

ghall
Jul 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
Just the ringtone files for download, for those who are curious: iPhone 1.0 Ringtones (http://www.4shared.com/file/19217851/e1d4e251/iPhone_10_Ringtones.html)

Mwahahaha!

Thanks.

xloveaffliction
Jul 5, 2007, 01:25 PM

Where's Marimba? Or whatever one they use in the commercials? :) :confused:

note235
Jul 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
hopefully we can change ringtones soon

Mr. Zarniwoop
Jul 5, 2007, 03:19 PM
I have no idea! I wondered the same thing. But it's not stored anywhere that's obvious on the restore image.

I looking through it though, there are lots of other sound files, like the DTMF tones, new mail alert, etc.: iPhone 1.0 Other Sounds (http://www.4shared.com/file/19272306/b60c69c4/iPhone_10_Other_Sounds.html)

The other sounds are a mixed bag of AIFF, CAF (Core Audio File, plays in QuickTime), and WAV format.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 5, 2007, 08:54 PM
well based on this information it should not be to hard to allow one to make any thing they want their ring tone. I still want to know why apple did not include it. Because it seems pretty clear AT&T does not try to stop it. Any phone will blue tooth and easily transfer mp3/AAC/Wav on to there phone and make it their ring tone. They did not mess with the fact my phone can do that and I have been using my own custom ring tones since I first got the phone.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
i hope soon i can put my favorite tracks up on tha phone

Karpfish
Jul 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
Pretty sure he was trying to connect to the IRC feed that these hackers are posting on but he was banned right when he logged in.

cisco1138
Jul 6, 2007, 06:24 PM
Usb? Where?:confused:

The dock that comes with the phone connects to a computer's USB interface, for Syncing and Charging.:D

Telp
Jul 6, 2007, 06:30 PM
Oh, sorry, i thought you meant there was a USB adapter right on the phone and i was like WHERE !?!? hehehe

ekahialoha
Jul 7, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hey all!
So im new to the forum, and I hope you all can help me out with this. So is the ringtone feature up and running now? or what do we have to wait for? I'm scared to purchase a song right now if i cant even make it into a ringtone yet. please let me know :) thanks in advance!

Djmx
Jul 8, 2007, 03:41 AM
Hey all!
So im new to the forum, and I hope you all can help me out with this. So is the ringtone feature up and running now? or what do we have to wait for? I'm scared to purchase a song right now if i cant even make it into a ringtone yet. please let me know :) thanks in advance!

Hey not trying to be mean.. but maybe if u read the forum u'd know the ANSWER?

rwdebes
Jul 8, 2007, 04:36 AM
nothiing new until now ??

rwdebes
Jul 8, 2007, 04:47 AM

http://www.yista.com/content/_audio/iPhone%20Ring.mp3

ob: just took me 5 secs to find on google. ;) try next time.

ekahialoha
Jul 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
Hey not trying to be mean.. but maybe if u read the forum u'd know the ANSWER?

trust me dude, i have been reading the forum, i dont understand everything that is said here, and it was just a simple yes or no question. im guessing its a no. thanks anyways

Djmx
Jul 8, 2007, 07:57 PM
trust me dude, i have been reading the forum, i dont understand everything that is said here, and it was just a simple yes or no question. im guessing its a no. thanks anyways

lol.. yea it's a no. But hopefully in the next week or so we'll have a hack out.. !

Telp
Jul 8, 2007, 08:06 PM
lol.. yea it's a no. But hopefully in the next week or so we'll have a hack out.. !

HOPEFULLY Apple will make it possible themselves.

cah87
Jul 8, 2007, 08:28 PM
HOPEFULLY Apple will make it possible themselves.
Did anyone notice the ringtone tab from the keynote address?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0179.jpg

Telp
Jul 8, 2007, 08:31 PM
Did anyone notice the ringtone tab from the keynote address?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0179.jpg

And Steve-Os phone number :p, yes. I was thinking that was coming in iTunes 7.3...hmmm

cah87
Jul 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
I just spoke with someone from apple and he said he couldn't speculate but he said numerous people have been asking about ring tones and he said he can't confirm or deny a ringtone app but said apple will take care of their customers soon ;)

ekahialoha
Jul 13, 2007, 01:07 PM
hmmm still no words huh?