PDA

View Full Version : iPhone: Vodafone, T-Mobile Carriers, and Ringtones?

MacRumors
Jul 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A few tidbits coming out about iPhone hacking/modification efforts. The full file listing for the iPhone has been found, and a few interesting tidbits can be gleaned from the files:

Besides AT&T and Cingular, there are logo images for T-Mobile and Vodafone in the iPhone's file system.
Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
Default_CARRIER_CINGULAR.png
Default_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png
Default_CARRIER_VODAFONE.png

Both Vodafone and T-Mobile are heavily rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/03/t-mobile-to-sell-iphone-in-germany-november-1st/) to be Apple's mobile partners in Europe/Germany. No other carrier's images are included.

Apple appears to be storing Ringtones (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/04/ringtones-stored-as-aac-files-on-iphone/) as unprotected AACs (m4a) in a "Ringtones" directory on the iPhone:
/Library/Ringtones
/Library/Ringtones/Alarm.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Ascending.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Bark.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Bell Tower.m4a

This suggests that adding custom ringtones would be as easy as copying AACs into the appropriate directory. There had been rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/27/itunes-7-3-with-custom-ringtones/) that Apple would be incorporating Ringtone functionality in iTunes for the iPhone.

RedDragon870503
Jul 4, 2007, 04:20 PM
Interesting... any chance that is T-Mobile in USA?

mattthemutt
Jul 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
But no Rogers Canada logos yet...

IEatApples
Jul 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm still hoping it will come to Norway… :(

T-Mobile & Vodafone don't operate in Norway… :(

locovaca
Jul 4, 2007, 04:24 PM
In the spirit of Spaceballs:

"Keep hacking %#$holes!"

Good thing that totally secure platform thing worked out :rolleyes:

mbear
Says it all really... sounds like a done deal in the EU

Romanesq
Uh nope, no chance. It's called a contract and it's with AT&T.

But good to hear that the ringtones can't be far off. That should make some people happy who are adamant about it.

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
I'll repost my counter from this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3872214#post3872214)

Well these files can easily be altered with a software update so just because it is on there at the moment doesn't necessarily mean that these will be the providers. And if this were indeed the case it means that apple knew the European carriers before the iPhone was released which is contrary to the information which is currently flying around the internet.

Sverkel
Jul 4, 2007, 04:29 PM
Well that is nice to hear that Vodaphone is in the race also... The Danish TDC is working and selling product's from Vodaphone, so I guess they will be selling iPhone in Denmark :D

Virtualball
Jul 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
It is unknown at this time if we are able to repackage the altered file system (with a new Ringtone) and reencrypt it and then allow iTunes to restore it to the iPhone. But it's getting close!

bilbo--baggins
Jul 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
Interesting. I will be a disappointment if it's only GPRS in the UK though - neither Vodafone or T-mobile have EDGE here. You might argue that's all the more reason for making it 3G but I just have a bad feeling that that isn't going to happen for the initiall European relase.

Furgster
Jul 4, 2007, 04:46 PM
ooo, i really want to use my own ringtones

matthewHUB
Jul 4, 2007, 04:54 PM
All i want to know is, if Apple release a 3G version for Europe, is it backwards compatible with EDGE in the US? i spend an equal amount of time in UK and in the US. i don't want to have to buy 2 iPhones.

nihilisticmonk
Jul 4, 2007, 04:55 PM
I hope to god that Voda doesn't get the UK contract.
The tarrifs they provide are stupid compaired to other carriers.

Also, this £1 a day for data access? That's £31 a month! extortion!!!!

I really hope it goes to t-mobile and you can buy them off contract, as my work phone is a t-mobile sim, so I could buy an iphone and get free calls.

If it's contract, I'd just go for the lowest tarrif, pay it off and stick my work sim in! job done.

Please don't let it be voda.....

blaaat
Jul 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
Interesting. I will be a disappointment if it's only GPRS in the UK though - neither Vodafone or T-mobile have EDGE here. You might argue that's all the more reason for making it 3G but I just have a bad feeling that that isn't going to happen for the initiall European relase.

If providers have to do changes in their network anyway (read: visual voicemail). EDGE doesn't require new GSM hardware like UMTS/HSPDA does, so roll-out could be done with a 'firmware' upgrade, and 100% immediately.
Apple could ask the providers to do that!

inkswamp
Jul 4, 2007, 05:05 PM
In the spirit of Spaceballs:

"Keep hacking %#$holes!"

Good thing that totally secure platform thing worked out :rolleyes:

No piece of hardware, including Macs running OS X, is secure when a hacker has physical access to it so why the sarcasm? The iPhone has yet to show any signs of viruses or remote exploits which is obviously what Apple means by security.

emotion
Jul 4, 2007, 05:24 PM

I really hope it goes to t-mobile and you can buy them off contract, as my work phone is a t-mobile sim, so I could buy an iphone and get free calls.

If it's contract, I'd just go for the lowest tarrif, pay it off and stick my work sim in! job done.

Agreed, but they have the better 3G coverage.

I think this just signifies the same OS, not that the hardware is the same.

I know, wishful thinking. Looks like we're getting GPRS (any EDGE in UK for example?). iPhones gonna get panned hard by the media here on launch. Over here the media all mention 3G as a necessity in Europe like all the European posters on here have since the start.

---

Bring on the ringtones though. A very useful feature. I think the ringtone industry's days are numbered. It'll all move to a system where you get the tunes from iTunes and that includes ringtone.

jonatron
Jul 4, 2007, 05:28 PM
You gotta trust the times surely!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2028678.ece

Donnacha
Jul 4, 2007, 05:30 PM

Vodafone halved their main unlimited data card tariff on Monday, making them the same price as T-Mobile, £25 + VAT.

They also introduced a pretty revolutionary pricing scheming for roaming within Europe: £8.50 per 24hrs unlimited (cheaper and a lot more useful than most hotel Wi-Fi services) or £70 per month (on top of that £25 per month for unlimited UK data, total £95 + VAT).

Seems to me as if they've wisely decided to stop raping their customers and, like AT&T, use the iphone as an opportunity to create a mass consumer market for data that will make them a lot more money in the long-run.

emotion
Jul 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
You gotta trust the times surely!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2028678.ece

I need to see that reported somewhere I trust :)

I suspect O2 suck less than AT&T. Do they have EDGE in the UK though?

JeffDM
Jul 4, 2007, 05:36 PM

Probably not, I'm thinking it is T-M in Europe if I heard right that they are there. Given Apple's tendency towards secrecy, I think it is a little silly to have those carrier identity images on the device if the carriers haven't been announced. They could have been added later on appropriate updates.

studentmac
Jul 4, 2007, 05:38 PM
That is great news! I have been with O2 quite a while and couldnt be happier.

emotion
Jul 4, 2007, 05:40 PM
That is great news! I have been with O2 quite a while and couldnt be happier.

If it is O2 it's not EDGE then. Either it's GPRS or 3G.

I've looked into this and Orange are the network with an EDGE network, conceived as a backup plan in case 3G didn't work out.

More news (similar source to above though):

http://tinyurl.com/39thd3

Donnacha
Jul 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hmm, despite all I wrote above about Vodafone - and I do still think that their recent price-slashing was part of the bid to woo Apple - I have now read the article in The Times and, I have to say, it feels right: Vodafone were the favorite but O2 were more desperate and willing to cede more to Apple.

Yeah, at the final hour, it's O2.

emotion
Jul 4, 2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, at the final hour, it's O2.

I wanna see the press release first before I believe.

Donnacha
Jul 4, 2007, 05:54 PM
If it is O2 it's not EDGE then. Either it's GPRS or 3G.
Could be 3G capped to EDGE speeds - many suspect that the real reason for them going 2.5 in the States was that it allowed the AT&T to offer an "unlimited" plan for less.

emotion
Jul 4, 2007, 05:56 PM
Could be 3G capped to EDGE speeds - many suspect that the real reason for them going 2.5 in the States was that it allowed the AT&T to offer an "unlimited" plan for less.

Why do that? It's different technology for a start....

jonharris200
Jul 4, 2007, 05:56 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's mobile partners in Europe/Germany.

That's geographical nonsense worth of Fake Steve. Ok, ok, I know what you meant really. :p

matticus008
Jul 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
Okay, so if the restore image is available, and if the ringtones are stored in the non-password protected portion, it should be trivial to add custom ringtones. Add them to the disk image, update any CRC/md5 hashes if necessary, and push the image to iPhone.

This will be even easier when someone writes an iPhone file browser; save to the ringtones folder, just like a Windows Mobile phone.

Donnacha
Jul 4, 2007, 06:22 PM
Why do that? It's different technology for a start....
Yeah, that's my point, they went for the technology that was less expensive to run for the carrier - if millions of iphones could each suck down 3.6 Mbit/s, who do you think pays for the bandwidth?

By going for the far slower Edge, they could offer plans at the right price-points for the mass-market. Sure, you, I and most people on this forum would rather pay an extra $30 for full 3G but enough of the general public would hesitate to kill the product stone dead. There have been tons of studies done on this and you'd be amazed at how differently people think at different price-points.

emotion
Jul 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, that's my point, they went for the technology that was less expensive to run for the carrier - if millions of iphones could each suck down 3.6 Mbit/s, who do you think pays for the bandwidth?

I do as a customer who's shelling out 35+ quid a week!

By going for the far slower Edge, they could offer plans at the right price-points for the mass-market.

O2 don't have EDGE.

twoodcc
Jul 4, 2007, 06:46 PM
very interesting.

Donnacha
Jul 4, 2007, 07:06 PM
I do as a customer who's shelling out 35+ quid a week!
Sure you do, but that isn't how pricing works - first they choose the price-point, say, £35. Then they work out how little they can get away with providing for that amount. If the extra bandwidth cost for providing 3G is £3.28 per customer (and, remember, I'm not talking about bandwidth on their network but, rather, the bandwidth they're buying in from an upstream wholesale Internet provider) and, let's say an extra quid for the extra maintenance and customer service specific to 3G technology, they have to work out if that extra £4.28 spend - which comes directly out of their profit margins on your £35 - will attract enough extra customers to make up for the money they will lose.

What AT&T are banking on is that the money they lose by not netting the hardcore customers who know and care about 3G will be more than compensated for by the lower costs of offering a 2.5 service.

The key thing here is that the whole pricing spell would be broken if the device was actually capable of 3G because, then, mainstream customers would become aware of it and feel they were getting a crippled service. Much better that lovely, trusted Apple provide a crippled device, stating concerns about aesthetics and convenience (battery life).

Enough Americans have allowed themselves to be persuaded and, of course, the lower tariffs (made possible by lower running costs) are what has really put a rocket under iphone sales.

O2 don't have EDGE.
No, but U2 do.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 4, 2007, 07:07 PM
Good thing that totally secure platform thing worked out

No piece of hardware, including Macs running OS X, is secure when a hacker has physical access to it so why the sarcasm? The iPhone has yet to show any signs of viruses or remote exploits which is obviously what Apple means by security.

To be fair, Microsoft has most of the world thinking security means the computer is locked from the user and open to everyone else. Obviously Apple's approach is backwards when looked at from that point-of-view.

AWShuttleworth
Jul 4, 2007, 08:02 PM
Why are these logos in the software at all? I don't see the AT&T logo anywhere on my phone's screens. Am I missing something?

JeffDM
Jul 4, 2007, 08:07 PM
Why are these logos in the software at all? I don't see the AT&T logo anywhere on my phone's screens. Am I missing something?

I think the image file probably is only that of the "AT&T" lettering in the top left corner, not the death star logo.

TheSilencer
Jul 4, 2007, 08:23 PM

Well, theese pictures could just be the roaming logos. I don´t know if at&t had roaming contracts with T-Mobile or Vodafone or both, but maybe they have now.

SPUY767
Jul 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
Forget Europe, they won'd get the iPhone for months, what I want to know is how to save ringtones to my phone now.

damacus
Jul 4, 2007, 09:35 PM

By going for the far slower Edge, they could offer plans at the right price-points for the mass-market. Sure, you, I and most people on this forum would rather pay an extra $30 for full 3G but enough of the general public would hesitate to kill the product stone dead. There have been tons of studies done on this and you'd be amazed at how differently people think at different price-points.

No. (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118306134626851922.html) EDGE is more energy efficient, more mature, and integratable into the phone's very slim form factor. Also, if you look at a map of AT&T's 3G coverage, you'll see that it's very lacking -- only the largest cities.

My speculation is that AT&T wasn't ready for a widespread 3G phone, and Apple wasn't going to add support if it had the design impact as mentioned above as well as not providing a consistent experience to *all* iPhone customers. Also, if AT&T spent $16m to upgrade EDGE, imagine how much it would cost to add capacity to the current 3G installs, in addition to increasing 3G coverage.

daze
Jul 4, 2007, 09:36 PM
But no Rogers Canada logos yet...

I was gonna say that. :P

ajhill
Jul 5, 2007, 02:21 AM
No. (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118306134626851922.html) EDGE is more energy efficient, more mature, and integratable into the phone's very slim form factor. Also, if you look at a map of AT&T's 3G coverage, you'll see that it's very lacking -- only the largest cities.

My speculation is that AT&T wasn't ready for a widespread 3G phone, and Apple wasn't going to add support if it had the design impact as mentioned above as well as not providing a consistent experience to *all* iPhone customers. Also, if AT&T spent $16m to upgrade EDGE, imagine how much it would cost to add capacity to the current 3G installs, in addition to increasing 3G coverage.

Yes, I live in Los Angeles, a small town here on the west coast and we don't have 3G from ATT available to us. Go figure. I mean we have like 14 million people in this town, you would think that we rate...

Oh, well. I'm happy with EDGE. It's slow, but gets the job done. Most of my browsing is on Wi-Fi anyway.

It's worth keeping the data plan to use Google maps when I'm out and about. Used it tonite to avoid some traffic.

Oh, and we celebrated what the Brits refer to as "The day the Colonies rebelled." otherwise known at the Independence Day, so I thought I'd attach an iPhone photo, just for kicks.

Al

macinfojunkie
Jul 5, 2007, 08:28 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=abO7i.hUUOps

the guessing goes on!

cliffjumper68
Jul 5, 2007, 11:50 AM

If T-mobile Norway has them, then it would be easy to hack it for use on T-mobile USA.

IEatApples
Jul 6, 2007, 05:09 AM
If T-mobile Norway has them, then it would be easy to hack it for use on T-mobile USA.Err??? I'm pretty sure T-Mobile 'DON'T' operate in Norway… (am I wrong?) :confused: