Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few tidbits coming out about iPhone hacking/modification efforts. The full file listing for the iPhone has been found, and a few interesting tidbits can be gleaned from the files:

Besides AT&T and Cingular, there are logo images for T-Mobile and Vodafone in the iPhone's file system.
Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
Default_CARRIER_CINGULAR.png
Default_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png
Default_CARRIER_VODAFONE.png
Both Vodafone and T-Mobile are heavily rumored to be Apple's mobile partners in Europe/Germany. No other carrier's images are included.

Apple appears to be storing Ringtones as unprotected AACs (m4a) in a "Ringtones" directory on the iPhone:
/Library/Ringtones
/Library/Ringtones/Alarm.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Ascending.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Bark.m4a
/Library/Ringtones/Bell Tower.m4a
This suggests that adding custom ringtones would be as easy as copying AACs into the appropriate directory. There had been rumors that Apple would be incorporating Ringtone functionality in iTunes for the iPhone.

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
In the spirit of Spaceballs:

"Keep hacking %#$holes!"

Good thing that totally secure platform thing worked out :rolleyes:

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
t-mobile USA

Uh nope, no chance. It's called a contract and it's with AT&T.

But good to hear that the ringtones can't be far off. That should make some people happy who are adamant about it.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'll repost my counter from this thread

Well these files can easily be altered with a software update so just because it is on there at the moment doesn't necessarily mean that these will be the providers. And if this were indeed the case it means that apple knew the European carriers before the iPhone was released which is contrary to the information which is currently flying around the internet.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Nice one :D

Well that is nice to hear that Vodaphone is in the race also... The Danish TDC is working and selling product's from Vodaphone, so I guess they will be selling iPhone in Denmark :D

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
It is unknown at this time if we are able to repackage the altered file system (with a new Ringtone) and reencrypt it and then allow iTunes to restore it to the iPhone. But it's getting close!

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Interesting. I will be a disappointment if it's only GPRS in the UK though - neither Vodafone or T-mobile have EDGE here. You might argue that's all the more reason for making it 3G but I just have a bad feeling that that isn't going to happen for the initiall European relase.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
compatibility?

All i want to know is, if Apple release a 3G version for Europe, is it backwards compatible with EDGE in the US? i spend an equal amount of time in UK and in the US. i don't want to have to buy 2 iPhones.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I hope to god that Voda doesn't get the UK contract.
The tarrifs they provide are stupid compaired to other carriers.

Also, this £1 a day for data access? That's £31 a month! extortion!!!!

I really hope it goes to t-mobile and you can buy them off contract, as my work phone is a t-mobile sim, so I could buy an iphone and get free calls.

If it's contract, I'd just go for the lowest tarrif, pay it off and stick my work sim in! job done.

Please don't let it be voda.....

blaaat

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
Netherlands
Interesting. I will be a disappointment if it's only GPRS in the UK though - neither Vodafone or T-mobile have EDGE here. You might argue that's all the more reason for making it 3G but I just have a bad feeling that that isn't going to happen for the initiall European relase.

If providers have to do changes in their network anyway (read: visual voicemail). EDGE doesn't require new GSM hardware like UMTS/HSPDA does, so roll-out could be done with a 'firmware' upgrade, and 100% immediately.
Apple could ask the providers to do that!

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
In the spirit of Spaceballs:

"Keep hacking %#$holes!"

Good thing that totally secure platform thing worked out :rolleyes:

No piece of hardware, including Macs running OS X, is secure when a hacker has physical access to it so why the sarcasm? The iPhone has yet to show any signs of viruses or remote exploits which is obviously what Apple means by security.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK

I really hope it goes to t-mobile and you can buy them off contract, as my work phone is a t-mobile sim, so I could buy an iphone and get free calls.

If it's contract, I'd just go for the lowest tarrif, pay it off and stick my work sim in! job done.

Agreed, but they have the better 3G coverage.

I think this just signifies the same OS, not that the hardware is the same.

I know, wishful thinking. Looks like we're getting GPRS (any EDGE in UK for example?). iPhones gonna get panned hard by the media here on launch. Over here the media all mention 3G as a necessity in Europe like all the European posters on here have since the start.

---

Bring on the ringtones though. A very useful feature. I think the ringtone industry's days are numbered. It'll all move to a system where you get the tunes from iTunes and that includes ringtone.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006

Vodafone halved their main unlimited data card tariff on Monday, making them the same price as T-Mobile, £25 + VAT.

They also introduced a pretty revolutionary pricing scheming for roaming within Europe: £8.50 per 24hrs unlimited (cheaper and a lot more useful than most hotel Wi-Fi services) or £70 per month (on top of that £25 per month for unlimited UK data, total £95 + VAT).

Seems to me as if they've wisely decided to stop raping their customers and, like AT&T, use the iphone as an opportunity to create a mass consumer market for data that will make them a lot more money in the long-run.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Interesting... any chance that is T-Mobile in USA?

Probably not, I'm thinking it is T-M in Europe if I heard right that they are there. Given Apple's tendency towards secrecy, I think it is a little silly to have those carrier identity images on the device if the carriers haven't been announced. They could have been added later on appropriate updates.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Hmm, despite all I wrote above about Vodafone - and I do still think that their recent price-slashing was part of the bid to woo Apple - I have now read the article in The Times and, I have to say, it feels right: Vodafone were the favorite but O2 were more desperate and willing to cede more to Apple.

Yeah, at the final hour, it's O2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.