Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I was planning on buying a laptop for college (probably a 12" powerbook) in the coming months, and hoping to take advantage of the ipod and printer promos apple currently has. I was wondering if anybody can tell me if the promos will work if I buy them from amazon.com or some other non-apple retailer. I would like to avoid paying sales tax on this purchase, which is why I'm not plannin on going to the Apple Store.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
The price gets closer w/ the less expensive model...but with tax and the educational discount the 12" is about $1615 for me. Amazon has it for $1495 now, though both of those prices could easily change with the release of updated powerbooks.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You can only get the Apple discount and rebate directly from the Apple Edu. Store. Amazon has their own rebate.

Depends on what all you want to buy. Weigh the prices, and buy whatever comes out to be least overall. Don't forget, the iPod is discounted for students as well.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Some retailers like CDW require a lot of paper work to "qualify" you as a student. For NPOs and government agencies it's worth it, but for students it is often more work than is necessary.

Most schools that have bookstores will sell to a student, at a student price, regardless of school affiliation. All they want to do is see that you are a student, and sometimes that's negotiable. If you want to prepurchace, perhaps you should go to a local junior college or university and buy one there. You'll pay tax, but not shipping and you can also pick up the software you need.

There is only one Apple store in my area, but there are a dozen colleges and universities. For my iBook purchase, it was quicker for me to order it through the online store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.