PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of no more 15" PowerBook?

macphoria
Jul 17, 2003, 11:00 PM
When they didn't come out with 15" Aluminium PowerBook this week I thought oh well maybe next week or something. But then I thought of something. I know it will sounds silly. What if Apple wants to make their professional laptop line just 12" and 17"? 12" is good for professionals who need power but want something portable. 17" is good for professionals who do a lot of work and need plenty of display space to spread around their windows and toolbars. Maybe 15" is too in between? Maybe they'll just phase out the 15" laptops with Tibooks?

I know people will disagree, but I thought I throw it out there and see what you guys think.

zkmusa
Jul 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
Hmm... to me, the 15" has always been the perfect compromise between those wanting the power of a desktop replacement but without the added bulk of a desktop replacement. However, these people also usually use their computers as their primary computer (more screen space necessary than the 12") but still want to be able to tote it around efficiently.

I think the 15" was still a hot seller even after the 12" and 17" were introduced, so I don't see how Apple could phase out such a good computer.

Personally, I'm waiting for the next Powerbook series update, and then I'll decide between getting the 12" and the 15" (if a 15" comes out .. :) )

That's my 2 cents!

patrick0brien
Jul 18, 2003, 12:32 AM
-macphoria

I'd say somewhere between zilch and nil. the 15" fills a good segment.

cb911
Jul 18, 2003, 05:27 AM
there have been a few rumors of the 15" being dropped, especailly after those PowerBook model ID's being found inside Panther, with no hint of a future 15".... but i have to agree that i think it's the prefect size for a laptop. just about the same size as a piece of A4 it fits perfectly with folders and stuff like documents. i had a TiBook 667 and i loved it. if there aren't any updates soon i'll be going for a 1GHz TiBook.

but if the 15" is cut out of the notebook lineup, then there would have to be a massive price drop on the 17". if there is only the 12 and 17" PowerBooks then the 17" would come to be known as the "main" model of PowerBook. that might be good, but there would need to be a really big price drop.