Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Hi,

I have a G4 Cube 450 mhz, 128 mb RAM, running Panther.

The video is completely distorted on the screen now with lines running across it (the way most of my Macs eventually die).

Anyhow, running the apple hardware test confirmed bad VRAM (error code disp/13/2).

Since it's a cube, I want to save it. It's good for browsing and typing. I am assuming the easiest thing to do would be to buy the exact video card that's in it now to replace it with so I wouldn't have to worry about drivers? I've never done a repair before like this, so is my assumption that I can just replace the video card too starry-eyed?

That brings me to my question: what is the name of the video card in it? I upgraded on the Apple store to the 32 mb vram card, which was some type of Radeon. Does anyone know the exact model number of that card so I could try to find one and buy it? I already called Apple and they don't know.

The system profiler just says ATI Rage 6 (I think that's what it was--there were commas in there too--I'm away from the Cube now I'm my iMac). But I don't think that's the name. it was something like Radeon 128 bit.

Your help would be much appreciated!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Does this help? It is indeed a Radeon.
cube copy.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.