PDA

View Full Version : Sony give in (PS3 $100 price drop)

Sky Blue
Jul 5, 2007, 05:57 PM
Maybe now you can cut back on hours at your second job?

Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.

A PS3 price cut rumor spread like wildfire across the Internet this afternoon when several sites spotted a new advertisement from Circuit City. The ad as seen on Kotaku lists the PS3 console at $499.99, $100 less than its current price.

It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

Many analysts have speculated that Sony would drop the price on the expensive console this year, and some even predicted that it could happen this summer. It's starting to look like they were right. We're sure to find out much more next week when Sony holds its press conference at E3.

SCEA when contacted for confirmation declined to comment.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
...oh dear.

...really glad I haven't bought a 360 or PS3 yet. I'm going to sit this one out for a while.

Currently I want an XBox 360 for better software and lower price. However, traditionally I've preferred the games that come on Sony consoles to Microsoft (RPG > FPS on a console IMHO, and I love me my Kingdom Hearts). If all things were equal (game library and pricing) I'd buy a PS3 over a 360 simply because of free online play and the ability to install Linux; but the 360's game library and price trumps that.

I'll wait. If Sony's game library gets better, I'd be interested. I doubt I'll get both systems.

Additionally, the outcome of the format war matters a lot. HD-DVD has the lower price and higher sales in the U.K....Blu-ray has higher sales in the U.S., but that has been attributed also to PS3 owners without games to buy by some so it's not a shoe-in victory. I don't want to cause a debate, I simply think neither is guaranteed to win yet as despite Blu-ray's lead neither has sold hardly anything.

If Blu-ray wins, PS3 gains major points. If HD-DVD wins, XBox 360 gains a few points because of the add-on capability. Neither matters to me yet because:
1) I don't want to buy in to a losing format
2) I don't have a HDTV or surround sound so it doesn't even matter.

When I buy a HDTV I'll buy one of the two consoles.

I wish they (Sony) kept the 20 GB model and brought the price to $399, but I'm not going to complain about a good thing.

I'd say this is a good step for Sony towards catching up with Microsoft, except that Microsoft is likely to drop the price any day now too. Still, bravo Sony, bravo.

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
There is a Circuit City ad that confirms this(kind of).....I have seen it.

[EDIT] btw - since PS3 release in Europe/UK Blu-Ray sales(I can't remember exactly if its HD sales in general or BD sales specifically) have gone up 1000%.

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
Wait. If $100=£50, and games are £50. Then that's nothing here. They're already giving away a free game with full price PS3s. Unless they're going to knock a further £50 off that price (down to £380, still a huge eek).

sikkinixx
Jul 5, 2007, 06:43 PM
Good I guess but still not enough really, I somehow doubt people will flock to buy a PS3 for $500, but better than a kick in the ass with a frozen boot.

I am surprised MS hasn;t been more aggressive and dropped their price. The Core 360 could easily compete price wise with the Wii. And with Halo 3 around the bend... a nice little price drop + Halo 3...

applekid
Jul 5, 2007, 07:30 PM
Keep the price drops coming. I want Metal Gear Solid 4 to be an affordable experience :D

gkarris
Jul 5, 2007, 07:35 PM
Add the 5 free BD Movies:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Disc_Marketing/Blu-ray_Disc_Association_Offers_Five_Free_Discs_Player_Promotion/725

and you've got a deal!

They really had to. With the Wii selling 6 to 1 on their home turf, Toshiba dropping the price of the HD DVD player and all their free movies, Sony had to do something.

Question: Is the new unit like the UK one, leaving out the PS2 chipset?

2nyRiggz
Jul 5, 2007, 08:36 PM

and you've got a deal!

Indeed....keep that summer sale going with the price drop and sony will sell more. $100 is good drop for a major console. I think if they bundle this thing right with the price drop it might boost sales.

Bless

Multimedia
Jul 5, 2007, 08:47 PM

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Disc_Marketing/Blu-ray_Disc_Association_Offers_Five_Free_Discs_Player_Promotion/725

and you've got a deal!

They really had to. With the Wii selling 6 to 1 on their home turf, Toshiba dropping the price of the HD DVD player and all their free movies, Sony had to do something.

Question: Is the new unit like the UK one, leaving out the PS2 chipset?You are only allowed to choose one film from each of 5 "categories". So you can't really choose from 20 films at all.

The Guardian, Pearl Harbor, Invincible, Chicken Little
Corpse Bride, Phantom of the Opera, Blazing Sadles
Stealth, Resident Evil 2, Underworld Evolution, Stir of Echoes
The Itialian Job, Black Rain, Babel, Devil's Rejects
Kiss of the Dragon, The Omen 666, The Transporter 2, Species, Hart's War, The Last Waltz

You can only have one from each set of choices making it not really a choice of from 20.

Guess I'll have to wait for what they come up with for Christmas.

Pine-Tree
Jul 5, 2007, 09:16 PM
well that's interesting...I just bought a PS3 the other day...if this price drop does come into effect...can I get the difference?? I bought it at Best Buy...do any of you guys know if there's a 30 day price drop guarantee or something like that??

XNine
Jul 5, 2007, 10:06 PM
This is awesome. It means that I'll definitely be getting to play MGS4 when it comes out as now I'll be able to get a PS3 sooner. Sexy.

steamboat26
Jul 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
Even if this did stimulate more consumers to buy the PS3, sony is losing more money for every console sold, so they have to rely on selling a lot of games/accessories, but there library of games is limited at the moment, so unless a lot of people decide to buy PS3s, this probably won't do anything.

well that's interesting...I just bought a PS3 the other day...if this price drop does come into effect...can I get the difference?? I bought it at Best Buy...do any of you guys know if there's a 30 day price drop guarantee or something like that??

I used to work at Best Buy, should be a 30 day return policy, so you take the receipt back to best buy, and they credit you $100 back to your card, or in cash, depending on how you paid.

zap2
Jul 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
good for the us....I think Sony has a good system on there hands, but the problem for the high end system(Xbox last gen) has been getting people to see the price is worth the games the system gets

twoodcc
Jul 5, 2007, 10:32 PM
good news. now when gran turismo 5 comes out, i might get one

Pine-Tree
Jul 5, 2007, 10:38 PM
I used to work at Best Buy, should be a 30 day return policy, so you take the receipt back to best buy, and they credit you $100 back to your card, or in cash, depending on how you paid.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely go back to get the credit if the price drop comes next week. :D

Abe

michaelltd
Jul 6, 2007, 12:45 AM
Keep the price drops coming. I want Metal Gear Solid 4 to be an affordable experience :D

Ditto! :)

siurpeeman
Jul 6, 2007, 12:54 AM
people would be all over the system if it had a better game library. there aren't enough good games and not enough good exclusives to warrant its price. dropping the price $100 isn't going to change sony's poor showing in the next-gen console wars. bring out final fantasy xiii and metal gear solid 4 and a couple others. come on, sony, it's about the software.

Haoshiro
Jul 6, 2007, 08:56 AM
Well this is would be their official proof that they are doing BADLY with PS3. Has a console system EVER dropped it's price in less then a year of its retail release??

Personally, though, I think they need more of a cut then that. If they dropped to $399 or $449 they'd probably really start to push sales, $499 is still just not where they need to be.

Microsoft can beat them in any price cut, and get to the sub-$200 price point before they ever can. Even the $399/$299 price-point of 360 is too high for a lot of people...

Sky Blue
Jul 6, 2007, 09:07 AM
Well this is would be their official proof that they are doing BADLY with PS3. Has a console system EVER dropped it's price in less then a year of its retail release??

Yes, last generation:

Both the GameCube and the Xbox had quick price drops after six months (from $200 to $150 and $300 to $200 respectively) and the PlayStation 2 lasted 19 months before it dropped from $300 to $200.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5883&Itemid=2

bobber205
Jul 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
Yes.....!

Now when FF XIII comes out, I won't have to pay so much! :D

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 10:27 AM
Oh no they don't!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=avaBEItJZtRo&refer=technology

``We have no immediate plans as of now'' for price cuts, President Ryoji Chubachi said today in an interview in Tokyo.

Multimedia
Jul 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
Although Fry's is advertising the 5 "FREE" DVDs with purchase, they did not lower the price this weekend - still at $599.

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 10:36 AM
Because there was no price drop.

Mr. MacBook
Jul 6, 2007, 12:22 PM
no offense but id pick a 360 over ps3 anyday, good games, and wii is just better than all, because of super smash bros :D

Sky Blue
Jul 6, 2007, 12:24 PM
Although Fry's is advertising the 5 "FREE" DVDs with purchase, they did not lower the price this weekend - still at $599.

the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

Most likely announced at E3.

Echinda
Jul 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
Not sure why people aren't reading Raggedjimmi's post. Sony announced today that rumors of a price drop are just that, rumors, and they have no current plans to drop the price.

applekid
Jul 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
As far as I know, only Circuity City is dropping the price $100 probably only as a sale for the week. This does not mean a universal price cut on the PS3.

gkarris
Jul 6, 2007, 01:41 PM
As far as I know, only Circuity City is dropping the price $100 probably only as a sale for the week. This does not mean a universal price cut on the PS3.

According to this, no price drop:

http://www.news.com/

Sony has no plans to cut PS3 price

By Reuters
http://news.com.com/Sony+has+no+plans+to+cut+PS3+price/2100-1043_3-6195127.html

Story last modified Fri Jul 06 05:48:36 PDT 2007

Sony isn't planning to cut the price of its PlayStation 3 to pep up demand or counter surging sales of Nintendo rival Wii, Sony's president said Friday.
Sony President Ryoji Chubachi also said in an interview that operating profit margin at its mainstay electronics unit, which makes hot-selling Bravia LCD televisions and Cyber-shot digital cameras, is likely to exceed its 4 percent target for the current fiscal year that ends in March 2008.

"At present, we have no plans," Chubachi told Reuters when asked whether Sony had any plans to cut the PS3 price.

Sony has packed cutting-edge technology such as a Blu-ray high-definition optical disc player into the PS3, driving up production costs and making its retail price more than twice as expensive as the Wii.

The higher price tag and lack of attractive software titles have been cited as main reasons the PS3 has been trailing the Wii in sales, and analysts have been widely expecting Sony to soon slash the price to spur demand.

In a Reuters survey of four game analysts this week, three expect Sony to cut PS3 prices by $100 by the end of the year, while one analyst said a cut of $150 is more likely.

Now on News.com
Microsoft extends Xbox 360 warranty Google on 'Sicko' slam: 'We blew it' Boeing's Dreamliner becomes a reality Sprint breaks up with high-maintenance customers
The PS3, with a 60GB hard drive, carries a price tag of $599 in the United States, while the Wii sells for about $250.

"If you take a look at how PlayStation and PlayStation 2 have taken off, this is not such an unusual start," Chubachi said.

When the PS2 made its debut in 2000, Sony was initially criticized for lack of strong titles, and some software publishers said the machine was too complex to develop for.

Sony eventually overcame those difficulties and has sold more than 120 million PS2 units, making it the top-selling video game console ever.

In a sign of lack of confidence on the side of investors, however, Sony, which has sales eight times as big as Nintendo, was overtaken by the Kyoto-based company last week in market capitalization and bumped off the list of Japan's 10 most valuable companies.

Story Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Copyright ©1995-2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
Bloody hell! I posted this before and myself and Echinda referenced it too! :rolleyes:

applekid
Jul 6, 2007, 02:49 PM

That doesn't mean Circuit City can't have their own price cut on the PS3. I'm not saying Sony is making a universal price cut. Just Circuit City.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/100-ps3-price-drop-starts-july-12.php

zero2dash
Jul 6, 2007, 04:38 PM
$399 is the sweet spot.

If they dropped it to $399, the 360 would have to drop $100 per sku without a doubt and Microsoft would probably have to do something drastic.

As it is...if they do drop the price, $499 80g Ps3 > $479 360 Elite, but I still say $399 360 Premium > all.

Ps3 needs some killer titles, they just don't have them yet. Not their fault though, the system is still in its infancy. Microsoft may have actually gotten lucky this time around; usually the 'early' (1st released) system falls by the wayside, but so far - it's proven to be quite good to them for releasing the 360 as the first 'next gen' system.

I'll probably get a Ps3 within 1-2 years...waiting for GoW3 which is a no-doubter "must own" for me. ;)

tim2006
Jul 8, 2007, 09:52 AM
rumors are the PS3 is going to get a $100 price drop. PS3 has sold less than 100,000 in the U.S. the last fews months and has had alot of negative press. I wonder how much of that negative press was due to price. wil it sell at the new price?

Dagless
Jul 8, 2007, 09:59 AM
Needs games too. We've been told to "wait for X game" so many times now. The system needs a killer exclusive game. One that isn't mired with cross-platform rumours.

But since Sony apparently doesn't "buy exclusivity" then *shrug*.

applekid
Jul 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
The universal $100 price drop is a rumor. However, Circuit City and Target will have the PS3 on sale at $499. Circuit City will have it on sale on the 12th while Target will have it on sale on the 15th.

MacRumorUser
Jul 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
$100/€100/£50 reduction is needed in all teritories.

But what is also needed is AAA 'exclusive' games. Also the PS3 needs to have multi-format games released at the same time as the 360.

This waiting weeks or months in some cases for the PS3 version to come out, after the 360 version is killing sales.

Added to the fact when they finally do get released in more cases than not they are not even as good ? So what are you actually waitng for ?

-

However we all hold onto the hope that Uncharterd, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk, Lair and Heavenly Sword are released soon and are AAA titles...

zap2
Jul 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
Price drop will be nice, but not key.

The PS3 is like cough medicine, the 600USD price tag makes it taste terrible, but if it cures your cough(has good games) then you'll swallow it(buy it), droping the price will make it taste better, but if it doesn't cure your cough(has no good AAA games), your not going to swallow the medicine(or buy a PS3)
:eek:

AAA games are what it needs, and hopefully will get.

2nyRiggz
Jul 8, 2007, 01:20 PM
AAA games will come but just like the "other" console and the one before it that barely has/had good games themselves the titles will only get better.

The price drop would be nice but it will take a whole lot more to get a increase....for example fine tuning PSN, get the devs in gear with these sloppy 3rd party games and so on...It won't be long before the better games are released.

Bless

Dagless
Jul 8, 2007, 01:29 PM
A better standard controller is needed too.

e²Studios
Jul 8, 2007, 01:44 PM

Opinions vary on this. I prefer the PS controller over any other I've used. I would be quite irritated if they went the Xbox's style which imo is garbage and not as easy to use as the PS controller, but to each their own i suppose :)

Ed

sikkinixx
Jul 8, 2007, 01:46 PM
Price drop is always a good thing. And if Sony has the brains to pay whatever it takes to keep MGS4 and FFXIII as exclusives (even though they don't do that... but Krazy Kenny is gone and he was responsible for the loss of GTAIV so there may be hope yet) and if Warhawk/Uncharted/Lair/Heavenly Sword/Killzone/Ratchet and Clank are all they are cracked up to be, then PS3 might just be okay.

It has still sold 3 1/2+ million consoles which is pretty good considering all the BS surrounding it, Sony **** ups and the fact it's double the price of the Wii (which also lacks games btw, people never talk about that)

Home, the new Eye Toy and user created kinda games like LBP might prove to be a big hit too.

^ I like both controllers. I like the layout of the xbox 360 controller but it feels too big and clunky (i know it's not that big but it feels that way). The PS3 controller is small and feather light... and the wireless is better since no direct sight needed.

tim2006
Jul 8, 2007, 02:13 PM
the price cut will put it in line with the elite. alot of the negative press deals with the lack of exclusives and the fact that many 3rd party games just look better on the xbox. the press has been so negative on the PS3. the idea of a blu ray player is nice but not a system seller for me. i always like a standalone dvd player never used the old ps2 as a dvd. $500-$700 for an dvd player is not worth it for me until the format war for me.

wwooden
Jul 8, 2007, 09:11 PM
The PS3 controller is small and feather light... and the wireless is better since no direct sight needed.

The 360 controller is not Infared, it doesn't need direct line of site to work. Microsoft has their own wireless frequency they use for the controllers and all the wireless accessories for the 360. The IR port is only for the DVD/Universal remote (which I'm shocked the PS3 doesn't have; How are we all suppose to use our Universal remotes we have?).

Dagless
Jul 8, 2007, 09:16 PM
I was wondering that too. People have walked between my wireless controller and 360 and it didn't cut off :confused: It's RF, which is arguably better than bluetooth. It's noticably so with mice.

gkarris
Jul 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
The IR port is only for the DVD/Universal remote (which I'm shocked the PS3 doesn't have; How are we all suppose to use our Universal remotes we have?).

Betamax, MiniDisc, Memory Stick...

applekid
Jul 8, 2007, 09:38 PM
PS3 Price drop is official, $599 80 GB PS3 in August (with MotorStorm). (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173806.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6173806)

Good. As long as I get another price drop in time for MGS4. :D

gkarris
Jul 8, 2007, 09:44 PM
PS3 Price drop is official, $599 80 GB PS3 in August (with MotorStorm). (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173806.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6173806)

Good. As long as I get another price drop in time for MGS4. :D

$100 extra for a game you may not want and an extra 20 Gig HD space?

Come on Sony, you can do better than that...

Dagless
Jul 8, 2007, 10:06 PM

Not really. Not until their machines are making a profit.

gkarris
Jul 8, 2007, 10:11 PM
Not really. Not until their machines are making a profit.

I think people would've been happier to include the component cable, HDMI cable, and remote controller rather than pack the game...

2nyRiggz
Jul 8, 2007, 10:13 PM
The 360 controller is not Infared, it doesn't need direct line of site to work. Microsoft has their own wireless frequency they use for the controllers and all the wireless accessories for the 360. The IR port is only for the DVD/Universal remote (which I'm shocked the PS3 doesn't have; How are we all suppose to use our Universal remotes we have?).

Indeed but MS is being stucked up with there frequency and will not let 3rd parties use it....which sucks. I'm not sure if the PS3 have a IR port but I guess they did that so that they can make some money of the remote.

As for the controllers.....I find them comfortable and I feel right at home with the 360 and PS3 controller...no complaints or adjusting needed.

Bless

kuebby
Jul 8, 2007, 10:39 PM

I agree with Ed; I love the PS3 controller. It's light, wireless, comfortable, and easy to use (I admit some of those are subjective) what more could I want.

I've heard the rumors about the new rumble tech that Sony may put it the controllers and that sounds cool to me but old type rumble I find more annoying than helpful or realistic in any game.

Dagless
Jul 9, 2007, 05:16 AM
Triggers don't feel right on the PS3, way too easy to break. There isn't a PS3 demo unit around here with working shoulder buttons.
Left analogue stick still in the wrong place. Both feel too "light", they're lighter than the Wii's Classic Controller, which is a very bad thing.
Uncomfy as hell. Normally controllers get comfier as they evolve down the line.
Dpad missing the "middle" bit.
Too light, no rumble. Honestly, if anyone here hasn't held a PS3 controller it's about the same as a Classic Controller. Yea. That bad.

asxtb
Jul 9, 2007, 05:45 AM
I'm not sure if the PS3 have a IR port but I guess they did that so that they can make some money of the remote.
Nope. No IR, all bluetooth.

Triggers don't feel right on the PS3, way too easy to break. There isn't a PS3 demo unit around here with working shoulder buttons.
Left analogue stick still in the wrong place. Both feel too "light", they're lighter than the Wii's Classic Controller, which is a very bad thing.
Uncomfy as hell. Normally controllers get comfier as they evolve down the line.
Dpad missing the "middle" bit.
Too light, no rumble. Honestly, if anyone here hasn't held a PS3 controller it's about the same as a Classic Controller. Yea. That bad.
Again, all subjective. I think the PS3 controllers are very comfortable.
I love your comment about controllers getting comfier as they evolve. It's a shame Nintendo hasn't had the same controller in 2 different systems for any evolution to occur. A new system, a brand new controller style to learn.

I will give you the 'no rumble.' But honestly I haven't missed it so it's a non-issue for me.

zap2
Jul 9, 2007, 06:21 AM
$100 extra for a game you may not want and an extra 20 Gig HD space?

Its decent...the PS3 80Gb isn't worth it IMO, not for most people. I don't really want the extra 20Gbs, and Motorstorm, while good, can be bought with the 60Gb PS3.

Still nice to see the 60Gb PS3 cheaper, but the difference between the 80Gb and 60GB isn't worth 100USD, unless you plan on using the PS3 as a media center.

Sky Blue
Jul 9, 2007, 09:23 AM
$399 is the sweet spot.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?jspStoreDir=SonyStyleStorefront&mpe_id=1908885412&cmsId=sony_card&catalogId=10551&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=1908884855&langId=-1&OmnitureESpotName=ESPOT_CAT_RNAV_1_S_Digital_Home_CPU&storeId=10151&storeId=10151&ddkey=ClickInfo

arnette
Jul 9, 2007, 09:45 AM
people would be all over the system if it had a better game library. there aren't enough good games and not enough good exclusives to warrant its price. dropping the price $100 isn't going to change sony's poor showing in the next-gen console wars. come on, sony, it's about the software.

So true. I like 360's games with Halo 3, GTA4, and a few others but concerned about returns/build quality with buzzing fans and noisy disc drives. PS3 looks like nicer hardware but they don't have any games I'm interested in! Maybe E3 will change everything around but I doubt it.

I'll probably end up waiting for the new internal design of the 360 to start shipping (they've gotta revamp it for the 90nm right?) and get one then. Even if it's around Christmastime.

Sky Blue
Jul 9, 2007, 09:59 AM

Sony was.....lying?? :eek: oh noes

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/consumer_goods/article2046847.ece

:rolleyes:

Lancetx
Jul 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Don't forget that you now get 5 free Blu-ray movies by mail with the purchase of a PS3 as well...

http://www.bluraysavings.com/

gloss
Jul 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
Sony (like many other companies, including Nintendo and Microsoft) has a proven track record of denying price drops and feature changes and then introducing them anyway. If they were to CONFIRM a price drop a week or two early, everyone who would otherwise have purchased the system at full price would wait, causing Sony to lose even more money on those sales.

It's just business.

Dagless
Jul 9, 2007, 11:24 AM
I love your comment about controllers getting comfier as they evolve. It's a shame Nintendo hasn't had the same controller in 2 different systems for any evolution to occur. A new system, a brand new controller style to learn.

They move with the times. NES and SNES were 2D, so the Dpad was king. N64 brought 3D and thus needed a proper 3D controller to accomodate that (I'm surprised Sony didn't bring us an analogue stick right off the bat...). Gamecube was a much more traditional shaped pad to cope with the bigger habit of porting games, 3D is in so the analogue stick is placed where the thumb goes. Along comes motion sensing games so a new style of controller is built to accomodate the new style of game playing.

There's a quote somewhere from Shigsy where he talks about "building hardware around an idea". Rather than just adapting games that surpass current hardware.

Props to MS for bringing us the best traditional controller. Using them on my 360 and PC.

Edit: I'm interested to see Nintendo and Microsofts reaction to the price drop. Since the Wii is making a profit on hardware they could drop the price without sacrificing much, and MS love to throw money around.

GFLPraxis
Jul 9, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hm, it's official now. Interesting.

I wonder if Sony is applying the same "improvements" as the European models to get the price down (you'll recall they took the PS2 processor out of the European PS3's and made it use emulation instead, which reduced classic game compatability).

Honestly, it's not horribly priced now. Consider that Microsoft charges $100 for WiFi; If I wanted an XBox 360 with WiFi, it would cost me $500 ($400 for Premium, $100 for WiFi). Same price as a PS3, but the PS3 also has a Blu-ray player (which are normally around $500 anyway) and 40 GB more hard drive space and HDMI and an SD/CF card reader and bluetooth and you can install Linux!

Actually, this makes the PS3 quite competitive compared to the 360. In fact, it makes it cheaper. A $500 PS3 configuration gives you WAY more than a $500 XBox 360 configuration (assuming Premium w/WiFi), and if you compare the 360 Elite to the PS3, the Elite has the bigger hard drive but the PS3 has WiFi, Blu-ray, Bluetooth, and is overall a way better deal.

Unfortunately for Sony, most people look at the up-front cost and don't add up the cost of adding WiFi and the extras. And more importantly, Sony simply doesn't have the GAMES to get people to come over. If both systems had an equal game library I'd buy the PS3 over the 360 because of backwards compatability, the ability to upscale PS2 games, Blu-ray, Playstation Home, bigger hard drive, Linux, WiFi, etc, etc.

But the 360 just has better games right now.

I'm very glad I waited. We'll see what happens.

Sky Blue
Jul 9, 2007, 12:04 PM
I'm interested to see Nintendo and Microsofts reaction to the price drop. Since the Wii is making a profit on hardware they could drop the price without sacrificing much, and MS love to throw money around.

I really can't see Nintendo dropping the price this year, the Wii is still flying off the shelves.

Actually, this makes the PS3 quite competitive compared to the 360. In fact, it makes it cheaper. A $500 PS3 configuration gives you WAY more than a $500 XBox 360 configuration (assuming Premium w/WiFi), and if you compare the 360 Elite to the PS3, the Elite has the bigger hard drive but the PS3 has WiFi, Blu-ray, Bluetooth, and is overall a way better deal.

yeah, the PS3 is looking nice now, another $100 and I'm in!

GFLPraxis
Jul 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
I really can't see Nintendo dropping the price this year, the Wii is still flying off the shelves.

yeah, the PS3 is looking nice now, another $100 and I'm in!

I'd be in already, if they would just back it up with some good software!

As for Nintendo...Nintendo can probably drop the price already. But with it being sold out everywhere, still, I doubt Nintendo would; you lower price to raise demand, but the demand is already more than they can handle.

Unless Microsoft were to undercut them. Nintendo has to make sure they remain the lowest-priced system. If the XBox 360 dropped the Core price to $250 I think Nintendo would drop the price of the Wii too to keep it lower.

ChrisK018
Jul 9, 2007, 12:34 PM
I used to work at a video store when the PS 1 and Nintendo 64 came out. When they weren't rented out I would take them home. When I saw FFVII for the first time it broke my will. I bought the PS1 within the week.

Glad for the price drop, but I want to see some game for the PS3 that 'forces' me to buy it.

GFLPraxis
Jul 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?jspStoreDir=SonyStyleStorefront&mpe_id=1908885412&cmsId=sony_card&catalogId=10551&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=1908884855&langId=-1&OmnitureESpotName=ESPOT_CAT_RNAV_1_S_Digital_Home_CPU&storeId=10151&storeId=10151&ddkey=ClickInfo

Don't forget that you now get 5 free Blu-ray movies by mail with the purchase of a PS3 as well...

http://www.bluraysavings.com/

So apparently if you're smart you can get a 60 GB PS3 for $399 w/ 5 movies? Not bad.

Haoshiro
Jul 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
So who thinks we might see some new SKUs for 360 at E3?

I'd say, keep the same price points... but have the Premium be the new $299 model, and the Elite become the $399 model.

And wishful thinking: toss in built-in WiFi :)

2nyRiggz
Jul 9, 2007, 03:41 PM
And wishful thinking: toss in built-in WiFi :)

Toss more in than that...toss in a redesign so MS can get past the bad image. It would be funny seeing P.Moore coming onstage with a redesign tattoo on his arm:)

Bless

Haoshiro
Jul 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
Toss more in than that...toss in a redesign so MS can get past the bad image. It would be funny seeing P.Moore coming onstage with a redesign tattoo on his arm:)

I think the design of the chasis is fine, plus all the face plates... they won't be ditching the design ever, imo.

All I want is built-in WiFi... and I don't even need that, heh. My 360 has been great.

GFLPraxis
Jul 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
Built in WiFi might push me over the 360 edge.

Dagless
Jul 9, 2007, 04:16 PM
Built in WiFi and a price drop from £270 to £199 for the Premium would be absolutely killer here. People will be saying "PS what?" and thinking twice about a Wii (as it would only be £20 less.)

But as folk have said. I can't imagine a 360 price cut any time soon. It's a very sucessful traditional console.

One things for sure. There is no need for a Core system any more, cept for those replacing Premium models and who have a HDD already.

danny_w
Jul 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
Sony (like many other companies, including Nintendo and Microsoft) has a proven track record of denying price drops and feature changes and then introducing them anyway. If they were to CONFIRM a price drop a week or two early, everyone who would otherwise have purchased the system at full price would wait, causing Sony to lose even more money on those sales.

It's just business.
But there would be no reason to wait. Most every store that I know of has a price match guarantee, so even if you did buy it last week you will still get the price drop, so it really makes no difference.

mosx
Jul 9, 2007, 05:56 PM
Honestly, it's not horribly priced now. Consider that Microsoft charges $100 for WiFi; If I wanted an XBox 360 with WiFi, it would cost me $500 ($400 for Premium, $100 for WiFi).

I don't see why people make such a big deal out of wifi with gaming.

I was gaming for years on a PC before getting my Mac and wireless was always too unstable and too slow for action games of any kind.

Theres too many variables that affect that quality of a wireless signal. The PS3 (and Xbox360) are stuck with 802.11g. Just a single wall between the router and will cut the connection speed down significantly. Then theres also interference problems. Interference from other electronics, the TV the console is connected to, any other components sitting in the general area, cordless phones, microwaves, cellphones, etc.

Theres a thousand things that can affect the signal quality and lead to packet loss or much higher latency.

I know my ping times always dropped by about half when I used a wired connection versus wireless. Sometimes my wireless connection would give me ping times that made me wonder if I was still using a dialup modem.

Want to stream high definition video over 802.11g? Good luck! Even though it has a claimed throughput of 54Mbps, the real world performance is FAR less than that. You will be extremely lucky if you can play an HD video without any dropped frames or pauses.

Even streaming a DVD video at around 5Mbps over 802.11g can result in dropped frames and pauses if theres a wall or two in between the router and the console.

802.11g is perfectly fine for web browsing and chatting, maybe downloading a song or two from iTunes.

But for anything that involves the "need for speed" so to speak, 802.11g fails miserably.

So the fact that the Xbox360 has no wireless is not a bad thing at all.

but the PS3 also has a Blu-ray player (which are normally around $500 anyway)

Which is of no use to many people. Unlike the transition from VHS to DVD, where most people only had a very small number of VHS tapes due to rental pricing, people actually own libraries of DVDs. There are countless people out there like me who have spent thousands of dollars on building a DVD library. Even those with a small library, like 20-30 movies, are not about to just dump their investment and move on to a new format. There are people out there, myself included, who own more DVDs than there are blu-ray discs available. An upscaling DVD player is a much better investment than a blu-ray player because it will breathe new life into all of your "old" discs and it will bring those DVDs up to almost the same quality as blu-ray.

Realistically, why should anybody go and rebuy a movie on HD-DVD or blu-ray when it will only be about 20% better, max, than that same movie on a much cheaper upscaling DVD player?

40 GB more hard drive space

Which is useful for what? Both systems support USB mass storage, and the Xbox360 will even play your music directly off your iPod WHILE you play games! Any game! Not just some.

HDMI

Do some google searching and you'll quickly find out that the VGA out on the Xbox360, thanks to recent updates, beats the HDMI out on the PS3 and the Xbox360 Elite ;)

SD/CF card reader

And how is this useful? How many times will you, or anybody you know, say "HEY! I have some great pictures I just took on my camera! let me pull out the memory card and put in the PS3 so we can look!"? How often will that happen? And, again, both systems support USB mass storage. 4GB flash drives are cheaper than 4GB SD and CF cards. The Xbox360 will also hook up to any digital camera and display the pics on the TV screen. So again, how is the memory card reader useful?

bluetooth

For headsets. The vast majority of bluetooth mice and keyboards do not work with the PS3 and the games have no keyboard and mouse support anyway. So this is good only for headsets. But then you have the issues of having to pair with the headsets, sometimes every time you want to use the headset. Thats more trouble than its worth. Especially when the Xbox360 has a neat little headset that connects directly to the controller.

you can install Linux!

And do what with it exactly? For multimedia, the PS3's built in UI offers more functionality than Linux.

Are you going to run desktop applications on your PS3? Don't forget that the PS3 only has 256MB of main system memory (plus 256MB of video memory). Good luck even running OpenOffice along with a decent window manager like Gnome or KDE.

A $500 PS3 configuration gives you WAY more than a $500 XBox 360 configuration (assuming Premium w/WiFi), and if you compare the 360 Elite to the PS3, the Elite has the bigger hard drive but the PS3 has WiFi, Blu-ray, Bluetooth, and is overall a way better deal.

Again, blu-ray means nothing. The games would be exactly the same on DVD-9. Bluetooth is only good for headsets and causes more headaches for people than its worth, and wifi is not something you want to use for gaming or streaming media.

A $399 or $479 Xbox360 gets you a lot more out of the box.

The $399 Xbox360 comes with a headset, component cable, and ethernet cable. The $479 Xbox360 throws in an HDMI cable along with the other accessories. The PS3 comes with what? RCA cables so I can hook it up to my 20 year old TV okay?

Unfortunately for Sony, most people look at the up-front cost and don't add up the cost of adding WiFi and the extras.

Such as having to buy component or HDMI cables for the PS3, a headset for the PS3 and other things?

The Xbox360 comes with everything you need out of the box to get up and playing games in HD immediately. The PS3 requires you to buy extra cables and accessories.

You also mention playing PS2 games later in your post. You even have to buy an adapter for that on the PS3 to get your memory card saves going.

backwards compatability

Something the Xbox360 has as well. The vast majority of the original Xbox library is up and running now.

And honestly, how long have you been playing videogames? My first system was an original Atari. I owned NIntendo systems all the way up to the N64, and I still have my original Playstation.

Do you know how often I go back and play old games? Almost never. When the PS2 came out, I had no reason to go back and play say... Spyro again when I could play Ratchet and Clank. And now with the Xbox360, why would I want to go back and play Gran Turismo 3 when I could play Forza 2?

the ability to upscale PS2 games

Something the Xbox360 has had ever since release. Oh and the Xbox360 can even upscale its own games. For example, a 720p game can be upscaled to 1080i if you only have a 1080i TV. Let me know when the PS3 can finally do that ;)

Blu-ray

Blu-ray and HD-DVD are the current SACD and DVD-Audio and both are heading down the same path that SACD and DVD-Audio did. People are not going to up and replace their DVD libraries, especially not those who have spent thousands of dollars building their library. Blu-ray doesn't offer the jump in quality over upscaled DVD that DVD did over VHS, and unlike the VHS days, people actually have movie libraries now.

Playstation Home

Also known as "microtransaction hell". Let's not forget that, in a recent interview, higher ups from Sony made it VERY clear that the Playstation Network will not always be free and that many things in Playstation Home will require microtransactions to use.

bigger hard drive

Bigger than 120GB?

The hard drive size is pretty irrelevant considering that both support USB mass storage. The Xbox360 makes it super easy to stream HD media over wired network from a Mac or Windows system. The Xbox360 can play all of my music off of my iPod while I play any game. Why would I need a few more gigabytes?

Linux

Again, useless. The PS3 offers more multimedia capabilities out of the box and trying to use desktop applications in Linux with only 256MB of RAM is insanity.

WiFi

Too slow, too unstable, too unreliable. Want to stream media? Forget it. Want to play an action packed game like Unreal Tournament 3? Better hope theres not too many walls or electronics in range of your wireless network.

The fact of the matter is that I can go buy an Xbox360 Premium right now, and a game, and have EVERYTHING I need to be playing HD games and communicating with people online within seconds of pulling the system out of the box. Even though the PS3 costs $499, it does not come with the cables you need to get HD video or a headset.

Infact, for what it costs to get good component or HDMI cables, and a headset, I could get the Xbox360 Premium and two games while the person buying the PS3 will be spending more on just the system plus needed accessories.

$499 is still too expensive. It is still a game machine no matter what Sony says. $499 to play games is outrageous. Especially when the system doesn't even come with the accessories you need to get the advertised functionality out of it, like HD graphics. You're spending $500 on just the console and you're getting an RCA cable. Yeah, thats a great deal.

I'm sorry, but Sony blew it with the PS3. I was a huge Playstation fan for the last 10 years. But the instant they announced the price at E3 last year, after many arrogant statements like "We want people to think they will work extra hours for one", they killed off all of the hype and anything the system might have had going for it.

Unless they get a system at $399 out before GTA4 is released, this generation affectively belongs to Microsoft because of Sony's own arrogance killing themselves. They seemed to have forgotten that people want to play GAMES and that the Playstation3 is a game machine above anything else. And that no amount of brand recognition can overcome a high price tag when the system is not worth it.

fiercetiger224
Jul 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_mte/002-6947030-3192042

PS3 sales go up 3000% on Amazon after price drop! I even dropped by my local Best Buy today, and they just went out of stock today! People really wanted that price drop! :eek:

Looks like good news for Sony. Now, E3 is just a little more than 12 hours away! :D

Dagless
Jul 9, 2007, 06:27 PM
MOSX, Wireless has come on **** loads over the past couple of years. Up until recently I was using a (originally) mid-range wireless modem router. I wasn't keen on the wireless performance as I'd get a 30% signal and a very unstable connection.
We bought some fancy Netgear modem a few weeks back and I haven't lost my connection once. It's been a dream, the signal is now at 55% at 54mbps, despite being a good 4 walls and a floor away. My ping on HL2 has been cut down to 23 on my favoured server (down from 40).

Wireless is needed. Not everyone can set up a wired network. Our house is fairly large and it would be a massive job to set it all up.

Shotgun OS
Jul 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
*shrug*
So what? A 100 buck price drop? Doesn't urge me or any of my friends to go out and buy one. Drop it 200, then maybe.

applekid
Jul 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
Seriously, I have never heard so many complaints about WiFi in my life! I cannot remember a time where my ping was higher than 60 when I played LAN games over WiFi with walls and floors between us. You are spreading some massive FUD, mosx.

Why does the 360 need WiFi? Because if they want to get all high and mighty on their whole "online experience" with Xbox Live, they better start making getting online easier. It's a bitch to have my Xbox bridged through my iMac to find out it doesn't always work with Live completely. Okay, my setup is awkward in the first place, but another $100 to get Live working completely for those of us that actually own a wireless router? Uh, ***** you, too, Microsoft.

Then, let's not go into how my friends have Xbox Live troubles with their machines directly connected to the router via Ethernet cable. Live seemed great in theory, but from the voice chatting bigots (as I've seen personally seen and in the online gaming and racism thread here) to the fact not everybody is having a seamless experience getting Live to actually work (seems like it's under-reported in my opinion when I have 4 friends that can't invite me to games or even voice chats), there is A LOT of things Microsoft can still do in online gaming arena. I really have been disappointed by the Live experience. It was such a let down. I'm about to call up Microsoft to get a refund or cut off my Gold membership. I don't play online much because the stupidity of people online is just discouraging (for once, Nintendo's lack of voice-chatting in most of its online games actually is nice) and in my case, I can't play my friends, so what's the point?

But, let's get back on topic...

Lots of rumors today about the new 360 chip, redesigns, and of course price drops. All good, but did those Elite owners just get screwed? A new Xbox so soon? I may be disappointed that a new 360 may be in the pipeline soon because I've had mine for only a month now, but I'm really bothered about redesign talk when they just announced extended warranties. Basically every 360 owner to this point got a beta-quality box that is basically guaranteed to fail, while Microsoft attempts to release an updated version? Man, they better plan on doing some major replacing or recalling if that machine comes out any time soon. A price drop doesn't seem that important though. I don't think the PS3's price drop got everybody standing in line for the PS3.

Anyways, a redesigned Xbox should be definitely more reliable, smaller, cooler, and my pipe dream is it gets rid of the hard drive requirement. I want to use my own USB HD, thanks. I don't think they can shrink the 360 much because of the hard drive though. You can probably take a few inches in that space between the hardrive and front edge and make it shorter (if you stand your 360 vertically) by moving around the USB ports, memory units, and power button.

This thread totally requires a new title. "PS3 price drop and Xbox 360 price drop speculation" sounds better.

pilotError
Jul 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
The price drop was definitely an incentive.

I was looking for a good Blu-Ray player. The bonus here is that it plays games too. Its probably the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market right now, and one of the best.

I went to Circuit City tonight and the guy behind me was doing the very same thing I was, buying it for the Blu-Ray. CC throws in the second controller for free and I picked up the remote for another $20. With tax and the extras, it was still below the original asking price.

They had the PS3's lined up along the wall, so they must have had a bunch of Web orders.

mosx
Jul 9, 2007, 10:15 PM
I cannot remember a time where my ping was higher than 60 when I played LAN games over WiFi with walls and floors between us. You are spreading some massive FUD, mosx.

Well, consider yourself lucky because you're the first person I have ever talked to that has had that kind of "Success" playing a game wirelessly.

another $100 to get Live working completely for those of us that actually own a wireless router? Uh, ***** you, too, Microsoft.

I'll agree that the price of the add-on is too high.

But considering that the wireless card the PS3 uses is worth roughly $5 and they charged $100 over the 20GB model for that, an extra 40GB, and a $2 memory card reader is just as bad.

But, again, none of this changes the fact that 802.11g is simply not fast enough for things such as streaming HD media over the network. If you try to stream high definition H.264 or WMV9 over an 802.11g network you will experience dropped frames and pauses.

Even a ripped DVD will give you issues. Try it and see for yourself. Not on a Mac either, because Apple puts more antennaes in their systems than the PS3 has or Windows PCs.

Then, let's not go into how my friends have Xbox Live troubles with their machines directly connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

Nobody said the system was perfect or problem free. Head over to the official Playstation forums and see just how many people have issues connecting the PS3 wirelessly to secured and unsecured networks.

While you're at it, see how many people couldn't get online with their PS2 with even a simple setup like connecting a non-PPPoE or cable modem directly to the ethernet jack.

No online setup is hassle free.

but from the voice chatting bigots (as I've seen personally seen and in the online gaming and racism thread here

Those people are EVERYWHERE. They're in Xbox games, PS2 games, PS3, 360, PC, etc. Wherever there is voice chat you will hear somebody trying to cause problems.

(seems like it's under-reported in my opinion when I have 4 friends that can't invite me to games or even voice chats)

Again, that affects all online consoles. Those types of problems are usually related to the firewall in routers. This kind of issue was a HUGE problem with the PS2 online because nobody knew that they should simply put the game console in a DMZ.

I'm about to call up Microsoft to get a refund or cut off my Gold membership. I don't play online much because the stupidity of people online is just discouraging (for once, Nintendo's lack of voice-chatting in most of its online games actually is nice) and in my case, I can't play my friends, so what's the point?

You're going to find stupid people everywhere you go. It doesn't matter if you're online with a PC, PS2, PS3, Xbox360 or whatever.

And, for the 10th time, connection problems plague all of the consoles. Firewalls generally create the problems and if people would put their consoles in a DMZ they wouldn't have the issues they do.

I remember playing SOCOM 2 at its peak. 35,000 people online every night. Half the people in the games didn't have properly working voice chat despite having microphones. Why? Because of their firewalls. You'd tell someone to go put their PS2 in the DMZ and try it again. Guess what? They'd rejoin the game and their connection issues would be gone.

GFLPraxis
Jul 9, 2007, 10:55 PM
I love the way you dismiss WiFi and Blu-ray for everyone because you have no use for it. I have no use for Blu-ray as I don't have an HDTV, but I require WiFi as there is no way to hook my router to my game systems otherwise.

zero2dash
Jul 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
65nm 360 should bring a price drop. Rumors are they'll come out this Fall. Codenamed "falcon".

360 price drop...$50 is a safe bet, $100 would be killer but unlikely.

If they drop all skus $100:
Core $199
Premium $299
Elite $379

Sony would be in deep, deep trouble. :D (at $499 60gig and $599 80gig Ps3 skus)

On the subject of add-ons (hard drives, WiFi) - I don't have a use for WiFi, but I will agree that not only is the WiFi adapter too expensive, but so are the hard drives. Price drops on those pronto, please guys...? Be a little more lenient. Make your money, but don't gouge like that on the pricing.

e²Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 12:16 AM
65nm 360 should bring a price drop. Rumors are they'll come out this Fall. Codenamed "falcon".

360 price drop...$50 is a safe bet, $100 would be killer but unlikely.

If they drop all skus $100:
Core $199
Premium $299
Elite $379

Sony would be in deep, deep trouble. :D (at $499 60gig and $599 80gig Ps3 skus)

On the subject of add-ons (hard drives, WiFi) - I don't have a use for WiFi, but I will agree that not only is the WiFi adapter too expensive, but so are the hard drives. Price drops on those pronto, please guys...? Be a little more lenient. Make your money, but don't gouge like that on the pricing.

Do you quickly forget how 65nm will probably bring Sony lower too? M$ likes to gouge on the accessories and i doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Sony is far from in trouble, if anything M$ is in deep ***** from their excessive red showing to the investors. Billions in the red FTL!

Ed

zero2dash
Jul 10, 2007, 12:25 AM
Do you quickly forget how 65nm will probably bring Sony lower too? M$ likes to gouge on the accessories and i doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Sony is far from in trouble, if anything M$ is in deep ***** from their excessive red showing to the investors. Billions in the red FTL!

Ed

Didn't know Sony was already working on 65nm...hadn't heard anything. Any specific timetable? (or just a "we're working on it")

Microsoft/red is anyone's guess.
They're in the red now.
Four years from now they may have sold 75-100 million 360s at that point in time, which would bring them much closer to the surface of "black" (if not above it).

Too early to count anyone out or dismiss any system; I'd never say otherwise. ;)

e²Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 12:32 AM
Even though sales are up on the operating system side of things, Microsoft's games division is still struggling. The Entertainment and Devices division lost $315 million, with sales slipping some 21 percent. That's 22 percent down from last year. The quarter overall saw $929 million, down 21 percent over last year during the same quarter. "Microsoft says the drop in sales came primarily because of decreases in the sale of Xbox 360s. During the quarter, the company shipped a half million consoles, as compared to 1.7 in the third quarter of 2006, that being the first full quarter in which Xbox 360s became available. Sales of Xbox and PC games decreased 44 percent over the company's first three quarters to $393 million, which the company puts hand in hand with the decrease in console sales."

Investors will only put up with so much, that includes moving funds from a profitable division to one that has never seen a profit *cough Xbox* This article was a few weeks before the 1 billion loss announcement, so don't forget to add that in to the losses.

Ed

fiercetiger224
Jul 10, 2007, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE]Too slow, too unstable, too unreliable. Want to stream media? Forget it. Want to play an action packed game like Unreal Tournament 3? Better hope theres not too many walls or electronics in range of your wireless network.

Okay, now your comment is just getting ridiculous. I've had wifi for the past 2 years. I've played online games like hell through wireless, and haven't had any problems that you speak of. PC games like Half Life 2, etc...C'mon, sounds like you've just had crappy wifi hardware. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my wireless router is like 3 rooms away too. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that I can go buy an Xbox360 Premium right now, and a game, and have EVERYTHING I need to be playing HD games and communicating with people online within seconds of pulling the system out of the box. Even though the PS3 costs $499, it does not come with the cables you need to get HD video or a headset.

Great, so Xbox360 has everything you need for HD. But guess what? What about the people who already have a PS2, and they've already got the necessary cables for HD? The great thing about the PS3, is that it uses the SAME A/V output since the PSone! So that's like, a port that's over 10 years old? Think before you speak. :p

And don't think I'm a "fanboy" of any sort. I'm just trying to clarify facts here. I love all my next-gen consoles. Wii, Xbox360, and PS3 all have something to share in this generation of gaming. :)

2nyRiggz
Jul 10, 2007, 01:13 AM
So within several hours of the price drop amazon is seeing a spike in PS3 and all things PS3 sales and hitting the best sale list...interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_1/103-5027024-2014233

http://news.filefront.com/sony-ps3-sales-up-2800-on-amazon/

Did a walk around today...stores selling out of the PS3...wow I guess the price cut wasnt such a bad idea but I'll wait for an accurate count of sales.

Bless

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 07:23 AM
Well, consider yourself lucky because you're the first person I have ever talked to that has had that kind of "Success" playing a game wirelessly.

Haha! Well seemingly not here.

As I said I bought myself a NetGear "Rangemax" DG834PN for £90. The router is on the other side of the house and we have bricks inside (no huffin or puffin will bring this down :D ). My old router was crap and cut off all the time - as anyone on my MSN list or folk I played in games will tell you. It really is down to your hardware mate. Get a decent wireless router.
Hell. My 360-loving friend is playing all his games on WiFi with a similar long distance wireless network too!

If you get one of the Rangemax bridges too then you get friggin insane speeds.

e²Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 08:53 AM
So within several hours of the price drop amazon is seeing a spike in PS3 and all things PS3 sales and hitting the best sale list...interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_1/103-5027024-2014233

http://news.filefront.com/sony-ps3-sales-up-2800-on-amazon/

Did a walk around today...stores selling out of the PS3...wow I guess the price cut wasnt such a bad idea but I'll wait for an accurate count of sales.

Bless

Looks like it was a great idea ;)

Its still holding #1-#3

Ed

applekid
Jul 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
Looks like it was a great idea ;)

Its still holding #1-#3

Ed

Well, it's helping my Amazon stocks, so I shouldn't complain. It sure seems like Amazon had a lot of PS3's in stock. I haven't seen it sold out yet. I really hope the 80GB isn't losing its emotion engine. I don't want to end up getting a PS3 in the future that isn't full backwards compatible.

Depending on how this fire sale goes, I think developers might regain some confidence in Sony. With all of these rumors about more developers abandoning Sony, there might last minute changes with some E3 announcements.

bobber205
Jul 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
Wireless in fine for gaming. My brother does his gaming through a wireless connection that is even shared between my macbook and the pc via ethernet with few problems.

gkarris
Jul 10, 2007, 11:18 AM
Now, I'm hearing online that the $599 80Gig model may come with a rumble controller! Hence the price drop of the regular controller?

I also hear online that Sony may be just "getting rid of the 60Gig Model to make way for the 80Gig" and they will be back to a $599 only model (unlikely though).

Sony hopes to double their sales. I think so for at least this month, as people who wanted the $499 model can now get one again. Then, I think that sales would increase only about 30% since it's still $100 more than the XB360 premium (what most people want or need anyways) and of course double the very popular Wii.

It'll still be a while until there are lots of great games for it.

If you want one, definitely get one while the 5 free movie deal is going...

Lancetx
Jul 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_mte/002-6947030-3192042

PS3 sales go up 3000% on Amazon after price drop! I even dropped by my local Best Buy today, and they just went out of stock today! People really wanted that price drop! :eek:

Looks like good news for Sony. Now, E3 is just a little more than 12 hours away! :D

Yep, I couldn't resist and ordered one for in-store pickup at Circuit City yesterday. By last night they had sold out of PS3s at the location I went to as well, and had several others that were ordered online waiting to be picked up. I had been wanting a Blu-ray player for some time, so the price drop, combined with getting a free second controller and 5 free BD movies was enough to get me to bite.

gloss
Jul 10, 2007, 12:31 PM
re: Wireless

I've been gaming over WiFi for years now. Good hardware = good signal quality. The idea that it adds latency is insane.