Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJED DV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Just got a new Macbook Pro on Tuesday and just finished installing Final Cut Studio (not 2) and every time I try to open Motion 2, it gets to the point where it begins loading a new project or template and then crashes. Has anyone else had this problem or know if there's a fix for it?

iJED DV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
It occurred to me today as I was driving to work that my version of Final Cut Studio is the PowerPC version.

Is there still a way to upgrade to the Final Cut Studio universal version? I've seen some pages via Google that talked about purchasing an upgrade through Apple, but I can't find anything about it on the Apple site.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
I think you're out of luck for getting an Intel copy of Final Cut. I think the cross-grade promotion ended December 2006 (or perhaps was extended and ended March 2007). I would call them though and see what you can get. Maybe over the phone you still have a chance, or can get some sort of deal on FCS2.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
It occurred to me today as I was driving to work that my version of Final Cut Studio is the PowerPC version.

Is there still a way to upgrade to the Final Cut Studio universal version? I've seen some pages via Google that talked about purchasing an upgrade through Apple, but I can't find anything about it on the Apple site.

I think you're out of luck for getting an Intel copy of Final Cut. I think the cross-grade promotion ended December 2006 (or perhaps was extended and ended March 2007). I would call them though and see what you can get. Maybe over the phone you still have a chance, or can get some sort of deal on FCS2.

You can upgrade from any version of Final Cut Pro (1-4) to Final Cut Studio for $699 or from FCS to FCS2 for $499. See here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=ED83915&nplm=MA886Z/A

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Sounds good - do you use it a lot ? Do you have 10.4.10 and the Macbook Pro update installed ?

I don't use it a lot for new work. Mostly reusing things that are already done. I do have 10.4.10, the Macbook Pro update as well as all the Pro apps updated.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I don't use it a lot for new work. Mostly reusing things that are already done. I do have 10.4.10, the Macbook Pro update as well as all the Pro apps updated.

Thanks for your feedback. It look like you basically have the same setup that I have. I use the 17" high-res but that shouldn't make a difference. I really wonder why Motion 3 keeps on crashing on my system. Sometimes when I just open a template or start using it a little bit. I do have all the Motion files on a external FW 800 LaCie drive. Maybe that is the problem?

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks for your feedback. It look like you basically have the same setup that I have. I use the 17" high-res but that shouldn't make a difference. I really wonder why Motion 3 keeps on crashing on my system. Sometimes when I just open a template or start using it a little bit. I do have all the Motion files on a external FW 800 LaCie drive. Maybe that is the problem?

I doubt it's the external volume. When I did the installation, I installed all of the large media files (ie. Motion Templates, Audio Loops, etc) on a Maxtor FW 400 external volume. Everything works fine with it. I know that doesn't do anything to solve your problem though.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I doubt it's the external volume. When I did the installation, I installed all of the large media files (ie. Motion Templates, Audio Loops, etc) on a Maxtor FW 400 external volume. Everything works fine with it. I know that doesn't do anything to solve your problem though.

Sure - but at least I know that the external volumes shouldn't be the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.