PDA

View Full Version : new pro speakers for the g5?!

negrito
Jul 18, 2003, 12:00 PM
will apple ever make new pro speakers that are compatible for the power mac g5? the current pro speakers have a mini jack and the g5 don't got this one any more. i don't want to buy any adapter etc. has anybody more info about the compatibility of the pro speakers? or am i just wrong and they will work on the g5?

I just like the pro speakers because they are cheap, good looking and the sound is ok for my needs.

pretentious
Jul 18, 2003, 12:35 PM
Actually it still does have the minijacks, two in fact one in front one in back.
From Apple's G5 tech specs (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html)
Front headphone minijack and speaker
Optical digital audio in and out Toslink connectors
Stereo audio in and out minijacks

I'm sure some audio-phials out there will be able to tell you all the amazing things that you can do w/ the optical audio, but all the old jacks are there too for just regular speakers.

negrito
Jul 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
what i just learned about the pro speakers and the g5:

there are two 3.5 jacks but the pro speakers havea 2.5 jack. 2.5 jack on the g4 has an amplifier on the output so you don't need electricity to dirve the speakers. they are just like headphones.

the g5 has an 3.5 jack amplified headphone out on the front and a 3.5 jack line out on the back (not amplified). i could buy a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter and plug in the speakers on the headphone jack but that isn't the idea because i want to use the headphone out for my...well...headphones ;).

so the only solution is to buy some speakers that have teir own amplifier to plug them in the line out but this need electricity...well maybe the harman site can help me :)

CaVoLo
Jul 18, 2003, 12:59 PM
i started a thread asking pretty much the same thing you are. Are the Apple Pro Speakers compatible?

Everyone in my thread said no. Here's a link. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31207)

I however would highly recommend the JBL Creatures. These speakers are awsome and they just look so COOL! You can find them for around 100 bucks. www.mwave.com has them for this i belive.

Good luck!

Rantipole
Feb 4, 2005, 09:47 AM
there are two 3.5 jacks but the pro speakers havea 2.5 jack. 2.5 jack on the g4 has an amplifier on the output so you don't need electricity to dirve the speakers. they are just like headphones.
I am guessing this is true with the iMac G5 as well? That the Apple Pro Speakers will not work with the jack provided?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I really liked the "softballs", and would like to use them, but it doesn't look like I can.

JBL Creatures: I really hate sub-woofers for a desk-top set up. More clutter around the desk = bad thing.

Bear
Feb 4, 2005, 10:00 AM
The Apple Pro Speakers require iether that the system have the proper jack for them.

If your system doesn't have the jack, then you are better off buying new speakers. The Apple Pro speakers require a different input than is provided by a headphone jack.

rhpenguin
Feb 4, 2005, 03:58 PM
Go with Logitech speakers or go home...

Best bang for the buck.

cmvsm
Feb 4, 2005, 04:09 PM
Go with Logitech speakers or go home...

Best bang for the buck.

I agree. I have some of the JBL creatures and uh...they kind of suck. They are great for simple speakers with little expectation, but the Logitechs that I have on my other system can really fill a room with music for less than 70 bucks.

Only thing is...they are very very...ugly.

Bear
Feb 4, 2005, 04:45 PM
The JBL Creature Speakers are great for bass and lousy for everthing else.

The Harman Kardon SoundSticks are much more balanced and better for listening to music. (In my opinion anyway.)

In any case, make sure you listen to the speakers in the stores using music you know, otherwise you really never know how they will sound for your purposes.

cmvsm
Feb 4, 2005, 04:48 PM
The JLB Creature Speakers are great for bass and lousy for everthing else.

The Harman Kardon SoundSticks are much more balanced and better for listening to music. (In my opinion anyway.)

In any case, make sure you listen to the speakers in the stores using music you know, otherwise you really never know how they will sond for your purposes.

Your JBL Creatures are good with base? If I turn my base up too high on mine it sounds as if they base is going to pop. Very hollow type of sound from the woofer. Maybe mine is defective?

Bear
Feb 4, 2005, 04:53 PM
Your JBL Creatures are good with base? If I turn my base up too high on mine it sounds as if they base is going to pop. Very hollow type of sound from the woofer. Maybe mine is defective?First of all, I don't have the JBL speakers, I have SoundSticks. Who in their right mind would buy speakers they thought sounded bad?

Second it's "bass" and not "base".

And third, if yours sound tinny, that's about right to my ear. I think that people who like the Creature speakers like some weird arse form of music that sounds good on them. I'm just not sure what type of music that might be.

cmvsm
Feb 4, 2005, 11:11 PM
The JLB Creature Speakers are great for bass and lousy for everthing else.

Yeah, those "JLB" speakers are great for BASS aren't they? Try JBL next time.

As for the sound, I've listened to the HK Soundsticks and IMO they are in about the same league as the Creatures at about 60 bucks more. Logitech has got them both beat hands down with their new THX "Z" series. The face plates are silver as well which matches the G5 perfectly.

They are next on the list.

Bear
Feb 4, 2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah, those "JLB" speakers are great for BASS aren't they? Try JBL next time. And you never make a typing mistake?

As for the sound, I've listened to the HK Soundsticks and IMO they are in about the same league as the Creatures at about 60 bucks more. Logitech has got them both beat hands down with their new THX "Z" series. The face plates are silver as well which matches the G5 perfectly.

They are next on the list.Well when I'm next in the market for speakers, I'll listen to whatever is current and then make a decission.

cmvsm
Feb 5, 2005, 01:14 AM
And you never make a typing mistake?

My sentiments exactly Bear.... :D