PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare, is it worth it?

c2kvette
Jul 18, 2003, 12:23 PM
I have a 17" FP iMac and was thinking about getting the AppleCare Protection Plan for it, costs $169, is it worth it? I've been working on Macs at work for 4 years and never had a problem with the hardware - but you never can be too careful.

Thanks!

jefhatfield
Jul 20, 2003, 08:19 AM
yes and no

yes if it's a laptop
yes if you decide to keep a laptop or desktop more than a year

no if you plan to sell your machine or give it away in a year or so
no if it's a desktop you rarely plan to use or if it's an ignored 2nd or 3rd machine

but in all cases, for a laptop, i would get applecare

gahruev
Jul 20, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by c2kvette
I have a 17" FP iMac and was thinking about getting the AppleCare Protection Plan for it, costs $169, is it worth it? I've been working on Macs at work for 4 years and never had a problem with the hardware - but you never can be too careful.

Thanks!
Well, even though I work for AppleCare, I will say an UNBIASED "Yes, It is definitely worth it!"
Why?
- Even if you do not have any hardware issues, the additional phone support for you or whomever uses your machine is an excellent value. Even if you only call 3 or 4 times in the three years.
- It does increase the resale value of your machine as the AppleCare is attached to the machine and not to you. If you sell your machine after even one year, youy purchaser gets the satisfaction of knowing the product still has two years of hardware and phone support! I have benefitted from this one as I always want the latest and greatest. - I always buy the AppleCare for my machines even though I do my own troubleshooting and such.
- $169 for three years phone support, hardware warranty and tech tools cd is an excellent value.

** I realize that I rave about AppleCare and it may seem that my view may be biased - but I felt this way since it was first offered!

rainman::|:|
Jul 20, 2003, 01:38 PM
Well, heres the thing... If you get Applecare, your Mac will be in perfect health and will probably never use it. But if you don't, you will probably wish you had at some point... But overall, it's a good value, especially if some expensive part fries... Like the display or motherboard... Also, keep in mind, with the new iMacs, to service them yourself you will need to buy special thermal paste and clean/apply it to parts EVERY time... it's nicer to leave this to professionals...

pnw