PDA

View Full Version : France Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

eyelikeart
Jul 18, 2003, 12:43 PM
So this is interesting. I want to know what will happen to anyone who slips up? :eek: ;)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030718/ap_on_fe_st/france_out_with__e_mail__1

Mr. Anderson
Jul 18, 2003, 12:46 PM
Ha, saw that and almost posted it myself....don't know if that will ever catch on. France will be the only country not using 'e-mail' - it is such a universal word.

D

Kwyjibo
Jul 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
banning the term not very effective its like all those laws they used to have in the south about birth control being illegal

MacManDan
Jul 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
LoL, as much as this amuses me, it can't be any worse then the U.S. changing everything to "Freedom fries" and "Freedom toast" and so on ... :D

medea
Jul 18, 2003, 01:08 PM
well they are just protecting their language, and you can't blame them really. Russia has been making a lot of changes like this as well.

Doctor Q
Jul 18, 2003, 01:15 PM
The French press can start using the word "courriel" instead of "e-mail", but will it affect how citizens speak to each other? And e-mail is international. Will they use the term in their cross-border e-mail, even if the guy at the other end might not have learned the word?

Maybe the French should rename "spam" too. Then, by definition, there would be no more spam! What would be a good new French word for "spam"?

mactastic
Jul 18, 2003, 01:19 PM
paté

patrick0brien
Jul 18, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
paté

-That liver!

And funny as hell. Good one.

Flowbee
Jul 18, 2003, 01:52 PM
I like "courriel." It has a certain elegance. I think I'll start using it myself.

settledown
Jul 18, 2003, 02:55 PM
dude,
your name is flowbee...and you're going to use courriel?

Maybe change your name to Le Flowbee

e-coli
Jul 18, 2003, 03:51 PM
Oh give me a frickin break.

If you want to stop the influx of American culture, ban McDonald's, not "e-mail". :rolleyes:

tazo
Jul 18, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by e-coli

If you want to stop the influx of American culture, ban McDonald's, not "e-mail". :rolleyes:

"beht weh need oww-wa mac-dohne-alds."

:D

shakespeare
Jul 18, 2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I don't blame them either. I know that the Icelandic government has taken great pains to come up with purely Icelandic words for modern things; the Icelandic word for inter-continental ballistic missile was taken from the 12th century sagas, where it meant "burning arrow." I think it's a romantic impulse to keep a little of Iceland (or France) protected from the rest of the world, and I'm very much on their side. In this case, it's a clever shortening of the long form "courrier électronique" - rather the way we shortened "electronic mail."

And if this is getting back at us for that damn Freedom Fries fiasco, well, more power to them for that, too.

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2003, 05:13 PM
Thats pretty stupid, and it will sure help relations.

Thanks for banning one of the most used english word in your country.

In Retaliation we need to ban Entrepreneur.

Screw them, we have been using that word for so long we need to kill it. It doesn't even mean buisness person in french, it roughly means contractor.

chewbaccapits
Jul 18, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by settledown
dude,

LOL...classic....nice response...too funny...

Flowbee
Jul 18, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by settledown
dude,

Hey, I had no control over what my parents named me. I got enough teasing in school... I don't need it here, too. Just because I have an unusual name doesn't my my opinions less valid, does it? :(

Durandal7
Jul 18, 2003, 07:16 PM
They have good intentions. After all, what better way to protect your language then to make it hopelessly obselete and restrictive?

bennetsaysargh
Jul 18, 2003, 08:09 PM
lol. funniest thing all day. everyone is against each other these days. weather it;'s political, or it's just changing words. it's not going to stop people from using it though. what are they gonna do, arrest you?:p

medea
Jul 18, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
lol. funniest thing all day. everyone is against each other these days. weather it;'s political, or it's just changing words. it's not going to stop people from using it though. what are they gonna do, arrest you?:p
Try reading the actual article before passing judgment, it states the change is for "government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites," did everyone catch the word GOVERNMENT, they are not trying to ban civilian use.....

FriarTuck
Jul 18, 2003, 08:55 PM
How about "message de reddition" instead ? They're familiar with that one already.:p

kettle
Jul 18, 2003, 08:58 PM
for starters you'll probably get a "Free" Membership/Contributors Subscription followed by an instant ban for not reading the sub clauses in the new Macrumors rules or something.

he he

oh... or we (the rest of the known world) could block all French ip's before things start getting really silly.

To all French people still able to access this site, the above is not intended as a personal insult.

Your mothers smell of elderberries!

yes all of them...

Battle of Agincourt - 1415

The interesting thing about that battle was the English Yeomanry couldn't give a monkey about all that Chivalry rot (read as red tape) and just wanted to get the job done so they could go home, needless to say the captured French Knights made more in scrap value than in ransom.

oh for the relative freedoms of an English Yeoman.

Abstract
Jul 19, 2003, 02:16 AM
^^Wha!?!

Anyway, I agree with Shakespeare when he said:
Yeah, I don't blame them either. I know that the Icelandic government has taken great pains to come up with purely Icelandic words for modern things; the Icelandic word for inter-continental ballistic missile was taken from the 12th century sagas, where it meant "burning arrow." I think it's a romantic impulse to keep a little of Iceland (or France) protected from the rest of the world, and I'm very much on their side. In this case, it's a clever shortening of the long form "courrier électronique" - rather the way we shortened "electronic mail."

It makes sense in their language, and I hope that every country tries to preserve their own language(s) and culture from this American in-your-face full frontal assault on cultures around the world. Its good that countries like China only allow 10 American movies into their country every year. This may sound extreme, and maybe they should be a bit more lax, but I can see why countries have the rule in place.

I'm going to side with France on this one. :p

laukev7
Jul 19, 2003, 02:21 AM
You know, we actually do have a French word for 'spam'.

It's 'pourriel'. 'Pourri' as in 'rotten'. Cute, eh?

By the way, we also have that sort of linguistic restriction in Quebec. On our channels (not the American ones), 70% of the content must be of francophone origin. And, of course, the 101 law.

tristan
Jul 19, 2003, 05:47 AM
Poor frenchmen - have to check with their govt every time they want to use a new word. Sacre bleu! :-)

Rower_CPU
Jul 19, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by tristan
Poor frenchmen - have to check with their govt every time they want to use a new word. Sacre bleu! :-)

Couldn't be farther from the truth.

France adopts words from us all the time in slang and common jargon. It is the job of l'Académie Française to determine if a word should become part of the "official" language and if a francophone equivalent can be created.

redAPPLE
Jul 19, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by laukev7
You know, we actually do have a French word for 'spam'.

It's 'pourriel'. 'Pourri' as in 'rotten'. Cute, eh?

By the way, we also have that sort of linguistic restriction in Quebec. On our channels (not the American ones), 70% of the content must be of francophone origin. And, of course, the 101 law.

well that's kinda cute... pourriel courriel :D

i am only wondering how they would communicate this change to the "outside" world...

Jerry Spoon
Jul 19, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by e-coli

Hey, they're getting ready to change it to "La Maison de Burger Graisseux"

BaghdadBob
Jul 19, 2003, 01:58 PM
But we've known about the movement to purify the French language for a long time.

I guess they have the right to do what they want, I just always resent the Language Police, here and abroad.

IMNSHO, our readiness in the English language to embrace terms and words from all over the world is one of the things that makes English the most expressive language in the world -- maybe not the most romantic or efficient or sensical...but, you know, five words for everything and five meanings for every word...

I embrace diversity in my mother country and mother tongue.

BTW, I've never heard of an official department doing anything about "French Fries." Things aren't freaking French anyway, who cares. I just call them "fries."

taeclee99
Jul 19, 2003, 02:51 PM
"The problem with the French is that they have no word for 'entrepreneur.'"

-- a quote falsely atrributed to George W. Bush.

Funny nonetheless

cc bcc
Jul 19, 2003, 02:52 PM
They also tried to change the words for computer and internet, but people mostly kept using them.. I guess that goes for email too.

Doctor Q
Jul 19, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by laukev7 You know, we actually do have a French word for 'spam'. It's 'pourriel'. 'Pourri' as in 'rotten'. Cute, eh?I'm writing a spam filter. Pourriel will make a good name for it.

laukev7
Jul 19, 2003, 03:31 PM
They also tried to change the words for computer and internet, but people mostly kept using them.. I guess that goes for email too.

Everyone says 'ordinateur' in French. In Spanish, I believe they have 'ordenador' and 'computador'. Internet is universal; 'inter' comes from Latin. Only the word 'net' comes from English.

I can understand that mainstream words like 'e-mail' or 'to save' are adopted in foreign languages. But sometimes, it's laziness more than anything. For example, I find it very annoying when I hear someone say 'printer' (as a French verb, pronounced 'print-eh'), when the well-known French equivalent 'imprimer' already exists.

There are many more examples, of course. Most French Canadians couldn't care less about proper use of language. I, on the other hand, am very picky on grammar, as I've often been told.

wdlove
Jul 19, 2003, 06:42 PM
I can see this just being a government thing, by law. It's the younger French that are computer savey, they will continue with email, internet, computer, & etc. I don't think the govenment can really change culture!

mymemory
Jul 19, 2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Hey, I had no control over what my parents named me. I got enough teasing in school... I don't need it here, too. Just because I have an unusual name doesn't my my opinions less valid, does it? :(

Is your real name Flowbee??? LOL I got to go pee:D

BaghdadBob
Jul 19, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
STOP! Save it for your pants!

Howard Phillips
Jul 19, 2003, 09:14 PM
If you use the word, you are forced to eat Freedom fries... or would it be a 'courriel aux fines herbes'?

Flowbee
Jul 21, 2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by mymemory

Yes. Flowbee Ginsu.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 21, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Yes. Flowbee Ginsu.

that's a cool name. it's not like anyone can get you confused with another flowbee.:)

patrick0brien
Jul 21, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
that's a cool name. it's not like anyone can get you confused with another flowbee.:)

-bennetsaysargh

Or a set of knives...