PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB for Graphics

beefcake
Jul 18, 2003, 03:37 PM
My sister is looking into getting an Apple notebook and plans to be doing a lot of work with Photoshop and Quark. She is by no means a professional but needs to at least run these programs at a reasonable speed. I suggested the PB over the iBook for a few reasons (G4, Altivec). If she gets a PB, will the 12" be enough for work with graphics? My biggest concern in recommending the 12" is the small screen, but since I've never used it before, I'm not really in a position to pass judgement.

patrick0brien
Jul 18, 2003, 03:45 PM
-beefcake

It will work fine for casual and fairly advanced stuff. However, if she needs a machine to use for business - especially print and the extremely high resolution required, she will need a large monitor, and the 12 is the only on without a DVI connector, and though that could be solved, it's expensive.

But, the hardware is perfectly capable of handling the loads though.

tazo
Jul 18, 2003, 03:47 PM
The idea with the 12'' is that she can be uber-portable and trust me she will appreciate the lessened weight of the 12 :)

And don't forget that she could always plug the 12'' into an external CRT or LCD monitor, and extend her desktop real estate to those too. :)

The 12'' is the best of both worlds; light and portable, powerful, but can also be used as a desktop by adding an external monitor/keyboard/mouse. :)

Hope that helps

-tazo

Rezet
Jul 18, 2003, 03:49 PM
http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/machine/comparison/portable/powerbook/index.shtml

idea_hamster
Jul 19, 2003, 12:02 AM
If your sister is considering getting the 12" for hyper-transport-ability and a monitor for graphics use, she might consider getting a dock:

http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/detail.asp?dpno=152413

This might make the hook-it-up, unhook-it, hook-it-up, unhook-it much less of an issue.

The whole set-up could probably be less than a currently-priced 15" PB, more portable, and quick enough for what your sister wants to do.