PDA

View Full Version : powerbooks got any quieter?

zvitali
Jul 18, 2003, 04:14 PM
I am considering a purchase of 867 TiBook. After reading stuff on internet I realized that a lot of people have serious problems with the fan noise. I also searched this forum and found some old threads about it. So, my question is addressed to people who purchased 867 or 1 Ghz within the last couple of months. Does this problem still exists?

Another thing I don't understand. TiBook always gets great reviews, everybody just love it. But then you find those hidden threads where people complain. Sound kinda strange to me. Maybe only some machines are affected and only the lucky owners give reviews? Or maybe the noise is not that bad.

I am currently using Vaio R505EL and it is whisper quiet. I can only hear hard drive. I think the fan is on, but I can only hear it if I keep my ear close to the keyboard.

patrick0brien
Jul 18, 2003, 04:51 PM
-zvitali

Well, I can't speak for the TiBook, but I have a 12"PB and the fan is whisper quiet - if running at all.

tjwett
Jul 18, 2003, 05:21 PM
i have a 12" which i've developed a love/hate relationship with. it does get super hot. then fan does come on, sometimes it's really quiet and sometimes it makes a whirring noise like it's a little off balance. i used to have a 15" TiBook which i think i remember being much louder though.

TEG
Jul 18, 2003, 05:56 PM
My TiBook 15 used to be loud when doing anything, but I had some repair done reciently, and they replaced the IBM HD with a Maxtor HD, now its almost always whisper quiet. And even now I have to check to see if the fan is on. Also At home, I have a small quiet desk fan, and I use it as some cooling.

TEG

ExoticFish
Jul 18, 2003, 06:14 PM
i have a 1GHz TiBook and when the fan comes on it does make noise, but it's not loud as my friends Dell laptop, and it's not loud enough to bother me.

zvitali
Jul 18, 2003, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your replies. I actually just went to nearby CompUSA and tried to listen to how noisy it is. Just as people described, it was very silent until I started a quicktime movie. Then the right fan kicked in and while it was not very loud, it was louder than most of the PC laptops in the store, especially those with Pentium M chip.

I guess I will have to postpone my purchase until 15'' Albook comes out. Another reason is that I was really impressed with how sturdy and quiet the 17'' powerbok was. There no squeaking when you press it on the sides. The screen opens and closes very nicely and doesn't bend, compared with the TiBook. I guess TiBook design was really superior when it first came out, but it's time for it to go. It still much better than the post Windows laptops, but I think albooks are superior.

Too bad, that was such a good deal, TiBook 867, 512 RAM, 40GB, Airport, AppleCare, Office X - all for just $1599. That is one crazy price, but I think I need to look into the future.