PDA

View Full Version : Folding on a dial-up connection.

WinterMute
Jul 18, 2003, 04:31 PM
I've downloaded the client, but it doesn't seem to be downloading a WU, the display reads loadiing... and benchmarking..., there is a protien name and a graphic (which I turned off), but there doesn't seem to be any movement on the progress bar (yes I know it takes hours), my question is how long do I have to wait before I can disconnect?

Also if I sleep the PBook, and disconnect will the client upload results automatically when I reconnect?

Is there a problem with folding on dial-up generically?

Thanx

Wes
Jul 18, 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
I've downloaded the client, but it doesn't seem to be downloading a WU, the display reads loadiing... and benchmarking..., there is a protien name and a graphic (which I turned off), but there doesn't seem to be any movement on the progress bar (yes I know it takes hours), my question is how long do I have to wait before I can disconnect?

Also if I sleep the PBook, and disconnect will the client upload results automatically when I reconnect?

Is there a problem with folding on dial-up generically?

Thanx

In my experience, once it starts displaying the graphic you can disconnect, and need only reconnect once the WU is complete.

WinterMute
Jul 18, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Wes
In my experience, once it starts displaying the graphic you can disconnect, and need only reconnect once the WU is complete.

Thanx Wes, the benchmarking is internal yes?

Which is the best graphic to use, I've got Alpha trace running, as its the simplest, I don't feel confident enough with the terminal to use that version.

OK, it's just got to 0.8% so its working.

What happens if I reboot, does it restart the WU, or can it pick up where it left off?

Wes
Jul 18, 2003, 04:52 PM
Thanx Wes, the benchmarking is internal yes?

Which is the best graphic to use, I've got Alpha trace running, as its the simplest, I don't feel confident enough with the terminal to use that version.

OK, it's just got to 0.8% so its working.

What happens if I reboot, does it restart the WU, or can it pick up where it left off?

Turn off the graphics as it slows down the process and is not required, and it will resume after a restart.

WinterMute
Jul 18, 2003, 04:56 PM
Cool, thanx man.:D

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Wes
Turn off the graphics as it slows down the process and is not required, and it will resume after a restart.

If he had the app open on restart, put it in your startup. :)

BTW you could always use mc68k's scripts for the console version, just a tiny bit faster.

Wes
Jul 18, 2003, 05:01 PM
By the way, in London why do you have 56k? http://www.bulldogdsl.com is a good UK Adsl provider.

WinterMute
Jul 18, 2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Wes
By the way, in London why do you have 56k? http://www.bulldogdsl.com is a good UK Adsl provider.

I'm on ntl for the phone line, and I'm waiting for them to put broadband into my zone, I'll go 512k once they do.

Thanx for the link though

britboy
Jul 18, 2003, 05:38 PM
I'm on ntl for the phone line, and I'm waiting for them to put broadband into my zone, I'll go 512k once they do.

Thanx for the link though

Surely you mean '600k', if it's ntl ;) Not that it would make much difference, considering that you'll be sharing the line with others in your area.....

Just so that you know: I have a couple of computers folding whose only internet connection is dial-up (aol). All that happens is when it's ready to connect, it will start trying until you sign-on. As soon as it's transfered the results and dl'd a new wu, you can sign-off again.

WinterMute
Jul 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by britboy
Surely you mean '600k', if it's ntl ;) Not that it would make much difference, considering that you'll be sharing the line with others in your area.....

Just so that you know: I have a couple of computers folding whose only internet connection is dial-up (aol). All that happens is when it's ready to connect, it will start trying until you sign-on. As soon as it's transfered the results and dl'd a new wu, you can sign-off again.

You're probably right mate, I haven't even looked yet, as they don't have it available.

I'm not too bothered by the data rate throttling back, most of the work I do is very late at night or obscenely early, I rarely log on at 6pm with the other webrats:D

Thanx for the info.

Vlade
Jul 18, 2003, 09:55 PM
I tried the console version for my first WU, and then downloaded Mac68K's folding scripts, its so much easier this way and 5% faster.

WinterMute
Jul 24, 2003, 02:24 AM
The first WU is finished, it registers 100% on the bar, but even when I connect the client doesn't seem to be uploading or downloading any information, how long does this usually take to achieve?

Is there anything I need to do to make it happen?

edit: OK, strike that, it just takes its own sweet time is all. Chalk up a 70 pointer to the 'Mute:D

britboy
Jul 24, 2003, 03:19 AM
The first WU is finished, it registers 100% on the bar, but even when I connect the client doesn't seem to be uploading or downloading any information, how long does this usually take to achieve?

Is there anything I need to do to make it happen?

edit: OK, strike that, it just takes its own sweet time is all. Chalk up a 70 pointer to the 'Mute:D

One thing that i've noticed is that if you finish a WU and you're not connected to the internet then the app only tries to send the results every half hour. That means that you have to be connected during those couple of minutes when it's trying to connect to the server. An easy way round this is to sign on to the internet, quit folding, and then restart folding.

Just a tip, if you're in a hurry to start the next WU ;)

Congrats on your first WU. May it be the first of many :)

WinterMute
Jul 24, 2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by britboy
One thing that i've noticed is that if you finish a WU and you're not connected to the internet then the app only tries to send the results every half hour. That means that you have to be connected during those couple of minutes when it's trying to connect to the server. An easy way round this is to sign on to the internet, quit folding, and then restart folding.

Just a tip, if you're in a hurry to start the next WU ;)

Congrats on your first WU. May it be the first of many :)

Right, thanks. I wondered if it had some kind of consolidating to do, as it said 100% in the progress bar, but still said "working" in the window.

100% means 100% I suppose.

How long does it take for the results to show on the site usually?

3 more WU's already processing:D

britboy
Jul 24, 2003, 05:34 AM
100% means 100% I suppose.

How long does it take for the results to show on the site usually?

3 more WU's already processing:D

That is (strangely enough) true ;)

Which site? If you mean the stanford stats pages, then it's usually up to an hour. If it takes longer than that, then either there's a problem with the stats servers, or your WU got lost. The overclocking stats update every 3 hours.

WinterMute
Jul 24, 2003, 11:37 AM
Is there always a difference in the stated points ona particular protein and the points actually awarded?

That last WU was stated at 70 points, but I was only awarded 38, is this usual, did I do anything wrong?