PDA

View Full Version : Using old HD to boot new Mac....

MoparShaha
Jul 18, 2003, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, just got a new Power Mac :D and I'm trying to use my hard drive from my current computer, an iMac, to boot it. My old hard drive is a Seagate 80 GB with 10.2.6. I connected it to the IDE cable the hard drive that came with the mac was plugged into when I got it. When I turn the Power Mac on, I just get the flashing system folder. So I tried putting the new drive back in its place and connected the old drive to another IDE cable, and it boots up with the new drive. My old drive loads up on the desktop perfectly. So I repair permissions on the old drive, select it as startup disk in system preferences and restart, and it just ignores it and starts up from the new drive. I don't get it, they both have 10.2.6 and both are recognized as valid startup disks in system preferences. The only thought I've had is to reinstall OS X on the old drive from the new computer, as there might be some misconfiguration from the old iMac, although I don't think thats likely. By the way, all the jumpers are configured for cable select mode as the Power Mac manual says. Thanks for any insights :) .

MoparShaha
Jul 18, 2003, 06:05 PM
Woops! Sorry, posted in wrong discussion.

Moderator: Could you please relocate this to Mac Help/Question. Sorry, was careless.

evildead
Jul 18, 2003, 06:13 PM
is that you dont have all the right drivers for it to boot your old disk on the new Mac. The OS probably donest have everything it needs to boot the new PowerMac.

My sugestion is to load the drive, insert a Jag CD-ROM, hold down C at boot and when it asks you to install... to a repair installation or upgrade.. what ever its called. It should load all the stuff the OS needs for the new hardwar and... save all your old data. .... At least I would think so. I have never done that.. but that is what I would try.

I have had this same problem with Solaris and Sun hardware. I had to manualy recreate all the devices and reset the drive World Wide Number for it to work. but.. you wont have to worrie about that with Apple.

-evildead

MisterMe
Jul 18, 2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
Hey guys, just got a new Power Mac :D and I'm trying to use my hard drive from my current computer, an iMac, to boot it. My old hard drive is a Seagate 80 GB with 10.2.6. I connected it to the IDE cable the hard drive that came with the mac was plugged into when I got it. When I turn the Power Mac on, I just get the flashing system folder. So I tried putting the new drive back in its place and connected the old drive to another IDE cable, and it boots up with the new drive. My old drive loads up on the desktop perfectly. So I repair permissions on the old drive, select it as startup disk in system preferences and restart, and it just ignores it and starts up from the new drive. I don't get it, they both have 10.2.6 and both are recognized as valid startup disks in system preferences. The only thought I've had is to reinstall OS X on the old drive from the new computer, as there might be some misconfiguration from the old iMac, although I don't think thats likely. By the way, all the jumpers are configured for cable select mode as the Power Mac manual says. Thanks for any insights :) . MacOS X is a UNIX system. You can't just move binaries between dissimilar computers like you can with MacOS 9. The MacOS X build on a particular computer is based on the configuraion of that particular computer.

MoparShaha
Jul 18, 2003, 09:30 PM
Cool, looks like reinstalling jag is the only way to go. Thank you for your help guys!

pellucidity
Jul 19, 2003, 11:18 PM
what do you need to do? you could try just grabbing all the files oyu need by putting the old disk back into the iMac and booting it as a firewire slave....