Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Playfrsbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Hello All,

Not that this is big news or anything, but now that I've had time to reflect on the new G5 a bit, I've come up with some gripes with the design. The biggest one for me though is the inability to rack-mount the tower. The ability to mount a G3/G4 PowerMac with a simple accessory purchase "G·Rack" was a major design bonus.

In addition to the metal handles being built into the case itself (preventing the modification to add rack "ears"), the body of the G5 is in fact too tall (20.1") to fit onto a tray in a standard 19-inch rack in a horizontal alignment.

Perhaps this is an effort by Apple to encourage Pro-Mobile users to purchase xServes? It seems like an xServe would be inadequate for Location Recording/Mobile Video, no matter what the changes are when it is inevitably upgraded to 970 processors. Do you think this was even intentional/an oversight/didn't care/etc.?

Kind of annoying to me. I was quite excited to get my PowerMac Mobile. However, I'm still pretty psyched to receive my Dual 2ghz machine (The 20" Cinema Display I ordered with it is sitting here staring at me with a blank expression, waiting for its friend to arrive).

Anyways, curious what all of you think about this.

Ethan

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Considering the rack mounts on the G3/G4 case are an aftermarket 3rd party product and the cases were never intended to be rack mounted I don't see too much of an issue with the G5s not being able to.

Sure it was a nice thing to do with a server, but the Xserve fills that niche much better.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i'm sure they will update the xserves with 970s eventually. the Powermac G5 is not meant to be rackmountable for a few simple reasons. these reasons can include, but are not limited to, things such as it's more of a workstation than a server machine, there are too many extras such as digital audio in/outs that cost more and would be wasted in a rackmount server config.

and another thing, i don't understand your comment...
Perhaps this is an effort by Apple to encourage Pro-Mobile users to purchase xServes? It seems like an xServe would be inadequate for Location Recording/Mobile Video
a "Pro-Mobile" user would want a powerbook...wouldn't they? and xServes are meant to be servers on large networks and for web sites and such, not for recording or video....and what is "mobile video"? (video of cars?)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
by "rack-able", you mean that it can hang from things. 3rd party companies make those. they'll come out with new ones for the G5s.

it was probably overlooked seeing as apple wanted to make it spaced out for easily navigating the inside for upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.