Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Anyone know how to burn a SWF flash file to a decent looking playable DVD, perhaps with Apple DDV Pro?

Any software solution?

thanks!

banjomamo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
USA
is it an animation of is it interactive? whats the resolution or pixel dimensions of the swf?

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
is it an animation of is it interactive? whats the resolution or pixel dimensions of the swf?

hello

It can be set to play automatically. It's a SWF slideshow at 600x400, but can be created again at any size.

thanks for any leads

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Anyone know how to burn a SWF flash file to a decent looking playable DVD, perhaps with Apple DDV Pro?

Any software solution?

thanks!

iSquint can convert flash video files into MP4 and you can set the quality to whatever you want. Then you should be able to get the MP4 into iDVD or whatever and create a DVD burnable image.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Flash's .swf files are different from .flv files. As far as I know you need to open the original .FLA Flash file and export it to a QuickTime video. Flash CS3 has enhanced this feature a lot since the previous version. If you don't have the latest version try and find somebody who does so they can export the QuickTime video for you.

It may be a large file if it's a long slideshow, but then you can put that file into iMovie and then onto a DVD with a program like iDVD. :)

I've done this with a Flash cartoon before and it worked out fine. You just may have to adjust the video settings (like set it to H.264) to get the best results. :D Good Luck

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Flash's .swf files are different from .flv files. As far as I know you need to open the original .FLA Flash file and export it to a QuickTime video. Flash CS3 has enhanced this feature a lot since the previous version. If you don't have the latest version try and find somebody who does so they can export the QuickTime video for you.

It may be a large file if it's a long slideshow, but then you can put that file into iMovie and then onto a DVD with a program like iDVD. :)

I've done this with a Flash cartoon before and it worked out fine. You just may have to adjust the video settings (like set it to H.264) to get the best results. :D Good Luck

Hmm yeh I am using a program (besides flash) that creates the photo slideshow in swf.... that is making it tricky, working from a .swf rather than original flash file

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Hmm yeh I am using a program (besides flash) that creates the photo slideshow in swf.... that is making it tricky, working from a .swf rather than original flash file

Hmm, that's odd. Is there any other type of exporting option other than an .swf file? :confused:

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hmm, that's odd. Is there any other type of exporting option other than an .swf file? :confused:

nope, the software is designed so that you will order a DVD through them ;p hence, I'm seeing if there are other solutions. Someone suggested trying a screen capture software. I'll try but I don't think the quality will be there

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
nope, the software is designed so that you will order a DVD through them ;p hence, I'm seeing if there are other solutions. Someone suggested trying a screen capture software. I'll try but I don't think the quality will be there

Oh, well there is one route. If your Mac has S-video/composite output, you can say view the slideshow fullscreen and have a digital camcorder record the S-Video/Composite output of your Mac. Then import it back into your Mac via FireWire in iMovie and burn a DVD from there.

Or just order the DVD. ;) :p

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
First, no matter what: change your SWF resolution to 640x480. This will save your video from ugly, lossy, re-sizing issues. Always best to change the size when it's still vectors.:)

You may have some luck with a combination of SnapZ pro and QTpro.. It can be time consuming (especially if you plan to edit.) But it will be able to capture your flash video on screen and save it as a QT video.

Play around with settings until you get something that works for you.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I got a pretty good result using IShowU ot capture the SWF to QT.

I created a 720x480 sized flash though. What benefit would I get doing a 640x480?

I didn't notice some squishing of the picture when I brought the 720x480 into Imovie. Would the 640x480 prevent this?

thanks

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
I got a pretty good result using IShowU ot capture the SWF to QT.

I created a 720x480 sized flash though. What benefit would I get doing a 640x480?

I didn't notice some squishing of the picture when I brought the 720x480 into Imovie. Would the 640x480 prevent this?
As far as I understand it, both of these are considered TV resolution. It has to do with the difference between square pixels (computers, digicams, etc) and rectangular pixels (tv sets.)

You may get better results at 640 - I'm not really sure. It may be worth a try.

Have you exported to DVD yet?

rikki010

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Burn SWF to DVD

This is a bit of a fussy method that I had to use.

Specific for Mac users:

1. Download Snapz Pro X and use this program to screen record your swf whilst it plays.

2. Ensure to save this out as MPEG-4 Video.

3. Import your MPEG-4 file into iDVD and burn. In iDVD you can also select the movie to loop in the 'Advanced' menu if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.