PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on guys?

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2003, 10:13 PM
Why are most of the top 5 people have a decreasing trend?

I mean I know the stats are still partially ****ed, but really we lose a good deal of machines recently?

From everyone? :(

So Far today we seem to have enough points that Ni! aint gaining on us, but we look pretty sad right now... :(

Rower_CPU
Jul 18, 2003, 10:23 PM
It's got to be the points/protein they're giving out. You'll see it reflected more in the big folders than anyone else.

It's effecting all the teams. Our output is down and so is everyone else's. No worries. :)

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
It's got to be the points/protein they're giving out. You'll see it reflected more in the big folders than anyone else.

It's effecting all the teams. Our output is down and so is everyone else's. No worries. :)

Yeah execpt General Mayhem, we were set to KICK THERE ASS, but then suddendly they go into overdrive. :meh:

Rower_CPU
Jul 18, 2003, 11:36 PM
Yeah, GM is a fringe case, but overall we're doing fine.

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2003, 11:46 PM
Yeah, GM is a fringe case, but overall we're doing fine.

Yeah ever since the stats crashed we have been going lower... I suppose when the stats crashed they made harder longer folding units... :(

cr2sh
Jul 19, 2003, 12:31 AM
Well, I finally installed the text console on my 17" powerbook.. back at it yo. Every little bit helps.

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
Well, I finally installed the text console on my 17" powerbook.. back at it yo. Every little bit helps.
Every bit helps.
:looks at last line of his post:
damnit, need a bette line.

'We are Glad to have you back folding with us!' :D

britboy
Jul 19, 2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Why are most of the top 5 people have a decreasing trend?

I mean I know the stats are still partially ****ed, but really we lose a good deal of machines recently?

From everyone? :(

So Far today we seem to have enough points that Ni! aint gaining on us, but we look pretty sad right now... :(

If you remember, bertiman posted not long ago (last week, i think), saying that a large number of his computers were going to be offline for a while.

Other than that, our trend is slowly on the up again. We broke 7k yesterday for the first time in quite a while. I think the proteins stanford are handing out have become harder recently. From my experience, i added a 2gig P4 and a 1.7 gig celeron on monday(folding during working hours only), and they've only just gotten over halfway through the proteins.....damn 70 pointers....:)

We're on the up again though, don't worry.

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by britboy
If you remember, bertiman posted not long ago (last week, i think), saying that a large number of his computers were going to be offline for a while.

Other than that, our trend is slowly on the up again. We broke 7k yesterday for the first time in quite a while. I think the proteins stanford are handing out have become harder recently. From my experience, i added a 2gig P4 and a 1.7 gig celeron on monday(folding during working hours only), and they've only just gotten over halfway through the proteins.....damn 70 pointers....:)

We're on the up again though, don't worry.

Man, look at rower specifically.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/graphs/production.php?UserID=27115

By december he might not turn in a unit a day. :eek:

I know the units are harder and take more time but I still worry.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 19, 2003, 11:19 AM
I'm still plugging away, but I don't think I'm counting for much. I've been slipping out of the 20th place for while.

I had to take folding off my TiPB - it might have caused the thing to crash....:D

So what about the labs this summer? Wasn't someone getting another up and running?

D

bertinman
Jul 19, 2003, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,

I've been hit pretty hard from my job... never worked full 40 (not stop) hour weeks before.

I think what happened is that one of the labs that I use is being used by some high school students and they turn them off when they are done. I'll check back next week to set an auto turn on at about 6pm and make sure the services are setup correctly. Other than that I have turned off my home comps completely, and they use to produce 4 units every 3 days themselves.

As to adding another lab... One of them is off limits because we're trying to get on the good side of the chairman in that department. And the others I decided not to even try because the guy works down the hall and seems to be pretty busy taking each of his comps apart and installing new MB's and CPU's.

Good news though, my wife called from her vacation and decided since she stole my new PB she'll buy me a G5 :), I didn't even have to ask! :cool:

- bert

Vlade
Jul 19, 2003, 06:59 PM
In a week I will have my Athlon 2400, that should be able to get about 100 points a day (isn't that about right?).

bertinman
Jul 19, 2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
In a week I will have my Athlon 2400, that should be able to get about 100 points a day (isn't that about right?).

should be about right. 3 units every 2 days.

- bert

britboy
Jul 19, 2003, 07:13 PM

That's being.....optimistic. I shouldn't think you'll be getting any more than 350 points a week with that.

bertinman
Jul 20, 2003, 11:47 PM
looks like we might be getting some steam back into our boilers :).

I didn't do anything to my comps and yet I got two days of 1k+. I'll still check up on them anyway though.

Keep up the good work everybody.

- bert

(Rower... Almost got ya! ;))

Rower_CPU
Jul 20, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
(Rower... Almost got ya! ;))

No need to rub it in. :p

My swarm of eMacs will keep me in 3rd...for a while. :)

bertinman
Jul 20, 2003, 11:54 PM
That's being.....optimistic. I shouldn't think you'll be getting any more than 350 points a week with that.

I think my 3 units every 2 days goes with about 300-350 points a week. It IS optimistic though, you'll get a lot of 19 pointers and a few 9 pointers along with the occational big guys.

All in all, nothing is constant in the scoring because you never have the same sequence of WU's.

- bert

bertinman
Jul 21, 2003, 12:15 AM
No need to rub it in. :p

My swarm of eMacs will keep me in 3rd...for a while. :)

Acctually, I should keep my mounth shut till it happens. Who knows, the old building might fall down because someone yanked too hard on a network cable on the top floor :p.

Rower_CPU
Jul 21, 2003, 12:23 AM
Acctually, I should keep my mounth shut till it happens. Who knows, the old building might fall down because someone yanked too hard on a network cable on the top floor :p.

Ha, sounds like us, too. We had 2 power outages on Thursday (both less than 15 minutes) due to construction in the area. :rolleyes:

britboy
Jul 21, 2003, 06:11 AM
I think my 3 units every 2 days goes with about 300-350 points a week. It IS optimistic though, you'll get a lot of 19 pointers and a few 9 pointers along with the occational big guys.

True.

All in all, nothing is constant in the scoring because you never have the same sequence of WU's.

- bert

Particularly because of how stanford seem to be altering the difficulty of the proteins from time to time. I still have a couple of computers working on really long 70-pointers from last week. They're not yet half-way through! (1.7GHz celeron)

Vlade
Jul 21, 2003, 09:45 AM

Particularly because of how stanford seem to be altering the difficulty of the proteins from time to time. I still have a couple of computers working on really long 70-pointers from last week. They're not yet half-way through! (1.7GHz celeron)

Weird... that seams pretty slow!

britboy
Jul 21, 2003, 10:00 AM
Weird... that seams pretty slow!

It's running at about 12 mins a frame. That's just a little slower than my 1gig athlon at home. Probably about right, considering that this one's a celeron..... remember, it's only on during office hours.

All the same though, it's slow. Just about any other processor at the same MHz would have finished it by now :(

bertinman
Jul 21, 2003, 10:59 AM
Ha, sounds like us, too. We had 2 power outages on Thursday (both less than 15 minutes) due to construction in the area. :rolleyes:

We had a "planned" outage for one side of the building, so we moved a bunch of important servers to the other side... and they turned THAT side off instead for hours without knowing it! (that was a month ago, but still I wanted to add into that topic :)).

maybe we should start a new thread: People who run university labs and have funny stories. :)

MrMacMan
Jul 21, 2003, 03:52 PM
yesterday we had a nice output.

keep it going.

Rower_CPU
Jul 21, 2003, 06:18 PM
We had a "planned" outage for one side of the building, so we moved a bunch of important servers to the other side... and they turned THAT side off instead for hours without knowing it! (that was a month ago, but still I wanted to add into that topic :)).

maybe we should start a new thread: People who run university labs and have funny stories. :)

Ha, not sure what the reception would be on that one, but it would be funny for us for sure. :D

I'm looking forward to the construction being done...sometime in '04 if they're on schedule. :rolleyes:

WinterMute
Jul 21, 2003, 06:26 PM
Ha, not sure what the reception would be on that one, but it would be funny for us for sure. :D

I'm looking forward to the construction being done...sometime in '04 if they're on schedule. :rolleyes:

i've just finished the spec on a 20 eMac AV lab for low level work, it adds to the other G4 lab we have, how easy is it to install folding on those without it being seen?

Rower_CPU
Jul 21, 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
i've just finished the spec on a 20 eMac AV lab for low level work, it adds to the other G4 lab we have, how easy is it to install folding on those without it being seen?

Using mc68k's scripts, ridiculously easy. :)

WinterMute
Jul 21, 2003, 06:37 PM
Using mc68k's scripts, ridiculously easy. :)

Problem is, they aren't my labs to tech, they are open access, so the techs re-install systems from images, I wonder if I can't get folding into the image.

Do the scripts auto install?

Or will I need to manually re-install when a machine is re-configured?

Rower_CPU
Jul 21, 2003, 06:39 PM
If they wipe the drives, then yeah you'll have to re-install manually.

The scripts download and install all of the necessary files on their own. All that's needed is your user info and a couple of yes/no answers.

WinterMute
Jul 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
I'll stick it on my iPod and wander around at regular intervals then:D

There's a couple of imacs in the office that could run most of the summer, but they'd get spotted when the sessional staff get back in September I reckon.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

This WU's been running for three days approx, its a 70 pointer and its 38% done, is that OK?

WinterMute
Jul 22, 2003, 11:17 AM
Right, a couple of 1ghz iMacs are now on the case in the office, I might be able to convince the owners to leave the client on permenantly, they're both reasonable chaps:D

Still haven't finished a WU though:(

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 04:42 PM
NEW RECORD DAILY OUTPUT, the SLUMP IS OVER!

Time/Day -- Total Points (daily) -- WUs
07/23/03 ---- 10,285.15 ------ 263

Good Job everyone, my thread is in the can now.

Vlade
Jul 24, 2003, 04:58 PM
Well i did finish one of my rare WUs today, so it was probably because of that.

:(, my output is so low... I can't wait for my Athlon 2200 and 2400 to arrive in the mail :)