Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
This may sound kind of dumb, but can the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable work on a mac if I just plug the firewire cable in, or is the firewire only used to charge the ipod? The guy at the Applestore couldn't answer this, and I'm really hoping the firewire works for file transfer too. Thanks a lot.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Wow, so I really can hook up the firewire portion of the dual cable to a mac and it will work? Tx

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Wow, so I really can hook up the firewire portion of the dual cable to a mac and it will work? Tx

yeah, remember, the USB 2 option is new. firewire is what apple prefers, and considering the vast majority of mac systems don't have USB 2 at all, it kind of makes sense. USb 2 is only there for PC users. Mac users basically have no use for it as far as the iPod goes.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Not to grind this into the ground, but just want to make sure you guys know what I'm saying...

m9126ga_125.jpg

This cable can file transfer via USB 2.0 on a PC, or a via FireWire on a mac, meaning the firewire portion is not only for charging... anyone own one to 100% confirm this?

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Not to grind this into the ground, but just want to make sure you guys know what I'm saying...

This cable can file transfer via USB 2.0 on a PC, or a via FireWire on a mac, meaning the firewire portion is not only for charging... anyone own one to 100% confirm this?

Don't reall yknow what your problem is.
If you have a mac, forget the usb, you just have a firewire calbe that goes into your mac, or if you dont have one around, into a recharger.

that cable is the standard option.
if you choose to buy an extra usb2 cable, you get data via usb, and plug the fw option into the recharger, i'd believe.

if you want to know if that firewire part of the double cable is fully featured and can transfer data unregarding of the usb part - i doubt it. after all , it is an usb cable...

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by visor
Don't reall yknow what your problem is.

My problem is I want to know from someone who has tried it. I'd like to be able to use one cable to move my ipod around at work so I can use it as an external hard drive on both Macs and non-firewire PCs.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I don't know if I completely understand what you want to do either.

Firewire is for data, but will also provide power if it's got a 6 pin connection like on the Mac. Some PCs have 6 pin firewire, but most I've seen have 4 pin which will only do data.

USB 2.0 is nonexistant on Macs until the G5s ship.

Using iPod as an external hard drive on both Mac and PC--there are formatting issues. I don't know if there's a way around that. I've also heard that iPod drives aren't so great for prolonged use--like if you were booting from it.

Are we getting close to answering your question?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Perhaps I'll rephrase what I'm trying to say. We all know apple makes an ipod connect cable that has a USB 2.0 and a firewire cable sticking out of it. I was wanting to know if the firewire portion can work to transfer data over... since on the apple website they only mention the firewire portion for charging the ipod while it transfers over USB 2.0... that make sense? Tx

access_fwusb042803.jpg

Just if the firewire is functional for data transfers, and not just the USB portion...

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I get what you are saying but from reading the FAQ on apple.com about the new 3G iPods it says that you can't use it as a Mac iPod at the same time as a PC iPod.

ie you can't take it to work and use it as a hard drive on your PC, if you have it formated for a Mac and vice versa (You can however change its format from Mac to PC and vice versa by using the updater)

As far as the wire is concerned I don't see how or why they would hamper the firewire cable from being able to transfer data and power. I would post in the forums over at apple.com, I'm sure there are people who have used and ordered this cable there. Most Mac users use firewire, since it comes standard on all newer Macs.

Mike

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I never saw that cable before. Interesting.

I don't know for sure, but why wouldn't the Firewire work for data transfer. Think about it this way, if you have a 6 pin Firewire port that will do data and power, why would you use it only for power? Now if they had a double cable that was USB 2 and plugged into a wall you might be onto something. I'm not getting the purpose of this double cable unless it's to go cross platform.

Hmm...now that I think about it that might be the answer. The charger that comes with the iPod uses a firewire connection. So if you had USB 2 and wanted to charge/update your iPod at the same time you'd need a cable just like that--and the firewire end would go to a power adaptor instead of a computer. You said Apple says the firewire is just for power? I'll bet this is it then. So unless the cable has the 4 data wires in it (in addition to the 2 power ones) it probably just is for charging.

Even if it will do data, I still have doubts about whether you can go cross platform with it as a hard drive.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Yeah, I realize the firewire is for charging for sure while its hooked up to a PC via USB 2.0... but I bought the cable to use on my non-firewire PC for now until I can get the new 15" PB... so I'd also like to use the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable as a travel cable for my PB and leave the standard firewire cable with the dock. I posted the question in the Apple support forums, so I'll post back when I get a response. Thanks for the info guys.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
ZildjianKX,

FireWire = Data transfer and Charging
USB 2.0 = Data transfer only

This means that both firewire and usb 2.0 will transfer your songs and whatever other data you have. 100% guaranteed. Both do the same thing. Only plus to having firewire is it charges your little toys while transfering your data where USB 2.0 just transfers, no charging:(.

Only firewire plugged into the computer or through the AC adaptor will charge the ipod. 100% guaranteed.

USB 2.0 will not charge ipod. 100% guaranteed.

The reason the other folks are saying just get firewire in the PC is:

You just spent $20 on that cable. You could have put a firewire into your PC for that and not worried about the cable. However, it will be nice for you to have the option of plugging in your ipod on someone eleses PC with USB 2.0 to transfer data.

That should answer your question.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by bertagert
ZildjianKX,

FireWire = Data transfer and Charging
USB 2.0 = Data transfer only

This means that both firewire and usb 2.0 will transfer your songs and whatever other data you have. 100% guaranteed. Both do the same thing. Only plus to having firewire is it charges your little toys while transfering your data where USB 2.0 just transfers, no charging:(.

Only firewire plugged into the computer or through the AC adaptor will charge the ipod. 100% guaranteed.

USB 2.0 will not charge ipod. 100% guaranteed.

The reason the other folks are saying just get firewire in the PC is:

You just spent $20 on that cable. You could have put a firewire into your PC for that and not worried about the cable. However, it will be nice for you to have the option of plugging in your ipod on someone eleses PC with USB 2.0 to transfer data.

That should answer your question.

Hey, thanks so much :) Honestly the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable is a better deal than buying another Firewire iPod cable if you need it... since it will let you use USB 2.0 and firewire then... both cables cost $19. Thanks again for your help, the Applestore guys couldn't even answer that for me. So I'll use the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable on my new PB as soon as I get it.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Hey, thanks so much :) Honestly the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable is a better deal than buying another Firewire iPod cable if you need it... since it will let you use USB 2.0 and firewire then... both cables cost $19. Thanks again for your help, the Applestore guys couldn't even answer that for me. So I'll use the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable on my new PB as soon as I get it.

ZildjianKX , One quick question for you.

Have you tried plugging into a USB 1.0 port on a PC? If so, were you able to access the ipod? Reason I ask is because I have a bunch of files that I backup on my ipod and would like to download them on a PC. The PC only has USB 1.0 not 2.0. I would buy the cable as well just for that convience. Don't worrythat my ipod is configured for a mac, I have a way to read mac files on a PC. Just wanted to see if the usb thing works with 1.0. Thanks in advance.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Yeah, it picks it up for me via USB 1.0... its about 50% slower than USB 2.0 approximately. It also can take a minute for the computer to mount it as a drive, just so you know.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Hey thanks for the info. I'll get one this week then. You just saved from buying a new cd writer. Now, if I could only figure out how to password protect the directories on my ipod?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Just a random question, how do you know you can use the firewire portion of the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable for transfer if you don't own one? :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Just a random question, how do you know you can use the firewire portion of the USB 2.0 + Firewire cable for transfer if you don't own one? :)

1. Because that's what Firewire is. A data conduit<sp?> that can also supply power.

2. Because USB 2.0 didn't come installed on any Macs until the G5's were announced, and Apple wouldn't release a prodcut that was incompatible w/100% of the Macs they ever shipped.

3. Because it says so on Apple.com

Lethal

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
1. Because that's what Firewire is. A data conduit<sp?> that can also supply power.

2. Because USB 2.0 didn't come installed on any Macs until the G5's were announced, and Apple wouldn't release a prodcut that was incompatible w/100% of the Macs they ever shipped.

3. Because it says so on Apple.com

Lethal

I agree with 1 and 2... but I don't think 3 is on apple.com... least not that I can find.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003

I have a new 15 gig ipod. I use the firewire connector/cable that came with it to do all my transfers and also charge the ipod. (this is the cable that came with your ipod in the box). The FW/USB cable that you bought, is exactly the same thing except the cable that has the connector that plugs into the ipod or dock, forks into one wire that has a FW end, and the other wire has a USB end. If you took some scissors and cut the wire that has the USB end off, you'd have one wire that goes from the connector to a FW end. In all reality, you'd have the same cable that you have that came in the box.

So, instead of cutting the other wire off, leave it alone and now you have a cable with a connector that plugs into the dock and then can be plugged in for firewire or usb.

In all reality, Apple should have (or just should) sell one cable for usb and one cable for FW. That would clear up some confusion. But I guess it will be nice to have for situations like mine.

So, to answer your question, the FW on the new connector is the same FW cable that I use right now. They're both the same thing. I'm 100% positive it will work just fine. Not even a glince of worry. Go to the apple store with your FW cable, plug into a computer, then go grab the new cable and do the same. They'll both work like magic. While your there, ask the guys when the new 1.3ghz powerbooks will be in stock.

As for your signature...I like the new G5's. Off course I never look at the computer hiding under my desk so I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm waiting on the new powerbooks myself. I think they'll be here in september so just hold on a little further.

Did that do it?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I agree with 1 and 2... but I don't think 3 is on apple.com... least not that I can find.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/autosync.html

FireWire 400
FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 and i.LINK) features data transfer speeds of up to 400 megabits per second (Mbps), which lets you transfer an album from a Mac or PC to an iPod in less than 10 seconds flat. What’s more, when you connect your iPod to your computer via FireWire, it not only syncs at blazing fast speeds, it actually charges itself in the process.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

The iPod Dock
The 15GB and 30GB iPod models come with a dock that makes charging and syncing easier than ever — no more reaching around, looking for the right port. An elegant, convenient home base for iPod on a desk or connected to a home stereo system, the dock provides syncing via FireWire or USB 2.0*, charging via FireWire and audio line out for connecting to powered speakers or a stereo system.

:p

Lethal

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Thanks guys... I think apple should really change the description on the website.

Connect the FireWire cable up to the iPod power adapter to charge while syncing.

and
For use with Windows PC and iPod with dock connector.
on the box.

I agree that they should really only sell this cable... seems a lot better deal than the fire-wire only then.

And I do like the look of the G5s... except the front :)

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I finally looked this up myself. Have you read http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9126G/A ?

"The iPod Dock Connector to FireWire and USB 2.0 Cable* offers Windows PC customers up to 480mbps data transfer for quickly loading an entire music library on iPod. Connect the FireWire cable up to the iPod power adapter to charge while syncing. "

That's pretty specific, isn't it? The firewire goes to a power adaptor. Unless the cable actually has all 6 wires in it it won't transfer data. If they intend for it only to do power it would be cheaper to make with only the 2 power wires.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
That's pretty specific, isn't it? The firewire goes to a power adaptor. Unless the cable actually has all 6 wires in it it won't transfer data. If they intend for it only to do power it would be cheaper to make with only the 2 power wires.

Yeah, that's what I read too, that's why I'm curious if the firewire is "limited"... but everyone else in this post seems to claim its not... has anyone actually TRIED it and not just guessing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.