PDA

View Full Version : Did "Switch" Campaign Fail?

foofan
Jul 19, 2003, 09:43 AM
I noticed this new article that discussed how Apple's "Switch" campaign failed. To me it seemed to be working, but if Apple's overall market share is still 4% after 1 year then maybe it is a failure. Check out the article for yourself. After the article, there are comments. One comment made a very good point. Apple will never increase user share until it can get a Forutne 500 co. to use Mac OS X. Can a large corporation run on Mac OS X exclusively?

http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P1418_0_1_0

P-Worm
Jul 19, 2003, 10:38 AM
You know, there are many articles that have come out saying that Apple is doomed or that their market share isn't going anywhere. But Apple keeps on chugging along. That and we don't know how the G5 is going to effect things. So don't worry too much about it.

P-Worm

iShater
Jul 19, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by foofan
I noticed this new article that discussed how Apple's "Switch" campaign failed. To me it seemed to be working, but if Apple's overall market share is still 4% after 1 year then maybe it is a failure. Check out the article for yourself. After the article, there are comments. One comment made a very good point. Apple will never increase user share until it can get a Forutne 500 co. to use Mac OS X. Can a large corporation run on Mac OS X exclusively?

Well, I switched, and so did many others, check out the thread in this forum about it. I think though that many existing Mac users have held off purchases for a while waiting for the G5 to come out. You have to remember that Apple did recover its market share and managed to maintain it even thought the G4 was getting butchered in forums and in speed tests.

The G5 *will* be the beginning of a new era for Apple if you will. People who have been holding off for years with their sub 500 Mhz computers will finally see a good price/performance ratio.

my 2.5c

jefhatfield
Jul 19, 2003, 11:59 AM
at least apple held their ground and dell didn't take mac users away

iJon
Jul 19, 2003, 01:13 PM
i think the switch commercials help. i had a person buy a mac because yo yo ma or whatever used one. many other people as well.

iJon

Horrortaxi
Jul 19, 2003, 02:21 PM
I don't know what Apple's goal was so I can't say if it was an absolute failure. It gets people's awareness of Apple up. I'm a switcher (not an adder, not an at-work pc user who didn't already have a computer at home, but a total jump ship type switcher) but I didn't switch because of the commercials. The switcher campaign, think different--no effect. The best reson to switch can be summed up in 2 words--and everybody knows them: "Microsoft Windows." I don't know anybody who is totally thrilled with Windows. People just need to know that there is an alternative that isn't harder to use. So anything that gets Apple's name out there is a good thing--at worst they're just planting seeds.

tazo
Jul 19, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by foofan

It depends on your definition of success and failure. I think it was a sucess because it got people talking about a subject that was relegated to online discussion forums...

And in the words of Jobs, "You know a campaign is a success when people begin to parody it."

:cool:

B@SS_SHOCK
Jul 19, 2003, 05:14 PM
I don't know about the US, but here in Australia, I haven't seen a Mac ad since they aired a few for the launch of the new flavoured iMac's. I think many people who are buying their first computer think a computer's faster by how many megahertz or gigahertz it has, Apple should straighten that out and have an ad campaign for that issue. Also, they should have ad campaigns showing comparisons of Mac apps and XP apps, which of course, Mac wins ;)

DeKa
Jul 19, 2003, 05:49 PM
I think the whole campaign worked. I switched a year ago. After seeing my wonderful 17" iMac over the last year, my sister bought a 12" PowerBook last weekend :D

Derek

tjwett
Jul 19, 2003, 05:54 PM
if anything the "Switch" campaign definitely brought attention to Apple that hasn't been there in a long time. i know a lot of people who think the Switch ads completely blow, and i know others who think they are great. i guess any publicity is good publicity. one fact, EVERYONE has seen the Ellen Feiss commercial. it's hard not to like that one.

another thing that has brought similar attention to Apple is the retail stores. they don't advertise for the stores on TV and they don't push any obnoxious marketing on you, like the hideous Sunday newspaper inserts you see from the likes of Best Buy and Compusa. the retail stores make people aware of Apple's presence, right in their own neighborhood. to not be intrigued by them is impossible. they are a luxury/boutique/gallery type place that is impossible to not respect.

benixau
Jul 19, 2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by B@SS_SHOCK
I don't know about the US, but here in Australia, I haven't seen a Mac ad since they aired a few for the launch of the new flavoured iMac's. I think many people who are buying their first computer think a computer's faster by how many megahertz or gigahertz it has, Apple should straighten that out and have an ad campaign for that issue. Also, they should have ad campaigns showing comparisons of Mac apps and XP apps, which of course, Mac wins ;)

Where is australia? Do they even buy macs? I didn't know you had them.

Now before you attack me, check my loc.

MacBoyX
Jul 19, 2003, 09:32 PM
Here's my 0.02...

It did not fail. Apple turned a profit of 19M this quarter (and techincally made profits the last 2 quarters but had to pay tax penalities for bad investments...)
and during the call they stated that 50% of all Macs sold in the Apple Stores were sold to NON MAC OWNERS....new Mac people...

I think the campaign worked. I just think they shouldnt have stopped running/making the ads...

MacBoyX

mmmdreg
Jul 19, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i think the switch commercials help. i had a person buy a mac because yo yo ma or whatever used one. many other people as well.

iJon

heh he's not whatever. He's one of the greatest cellists alive today. Anyhow, I think the switch campaign did work to an extent but it would've done better obviously if it didn't only target a few countries (US, Japan?)

janey
Jul 19, 2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
one fact, EVERYONE has seen the Ellen Feiss commercial. it's hard not to like that one.
Er...i hate that Ellen Feiss ad with a passion :p
but nevertheless i have seen people who claim that they switched because of kelly slater, tony hawk, yo-yo ma and jeremiah cohick :)

kettle
Jul 19, 2003, 11:36 PM
Even if the failure argument won the day, it would be hard to argue that the actual "computer" life changing event of switching could be seen as a failure. Worst case senario leaves the switched user using a different platform, all other senario leave the switched user in a clearer better thought out world.

If all a small band of loyal macusers do is force Microsoft to make a better product, then the world just becomes a better computing place to be.

The day Microsoft stop trying to rip off Apple is probably a good day to reconsider the switch. hmm.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 19, 2003, 11:48 PM
seriously, if you were expecting Apple to double their market share, please come back to earth. As Steve said in the financial report the other day, half of the macs sold in the retail stores are to first time mac users. that's great for the platform... their market share staying the same says something also, Many of the mac faithful have been waiting on the G5 and a new 15" PowerBook to buy another Mac. one of those is almost here, and the other is maybe september. either way, Apple is in a great position, a better position than they have been in for a long time. now that Apple actually has the performance crown, things should also get better for the lagging PowerMac sales, but the XServe needs to be updates immediately because nobody is buying that when the G5 kicks it's ass. at the end of this year, I think we'll see Apple in a very nice position with their product lineup. Maybe then they will bring the switch campaign back a bit... hell, they got enough G5 commercials on TV, i swear i've seen that ad twenty times in the last five hours easy, and I only watched TV for about two of those hours.

pseudobrit
Jul 20, 2003, 01:29 AM
Here's the deal:

Company A sells 10 widgets/week

Company B sells 40 widgets/week

Company C sells 50 widgets/week

So company A has a 10% market share.

Next year, the demand for widgets increases dramatically.

Company A sells 50 widgets/week

Company B sells 400 widgets/week

Company C sells 550 widgets/week

Now Company A lost half its market share and only has a meagre 5% of the booming widget market.

Looks bad for Company A, huh?

Unless you consider that they increased their business fivefold.
The others have outpaced them, yes, but business isn't a race. The one in the lead isn't simply "the winner."

trebblekicked
Jul 20, 2003, 02:13 AM
psuedo-
that was the best bare-bones explanation of market share i've heard to date. well done.

the switch campaign was what it was. it helped get apple through a really tough time (losing the power crown, switching OS, market stagnating), and now apple's emerging from the downtime in good position to remain competitive and healthy. i've never heard market analysis be sweet on apple, but nowadays you hear people recomemnding apple stock. I'd say the switch campaign did alright.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 20, 2003, 02:35 AM
very nicely done with that example.

and both of you are correct, as in, I agree with you.

rainman::|:|
Jul 20, 2003, 02:43 AM
i agree with what some have said above... the maxed-out G4 and the elusive G5 "just around the corner" for two years, if the switch campaign is what maintained their marketshare, it was a booming success. And now that the G5 is actually here, Apple may have a good chance of a gain in marketshare soon...

pnw

visor
Jul 20, 2003, 03:42 AM
Even though I write on my own little apple now - I still have to have a pc around because so much software i need - that I make money with, just dosen't come to the Mac.

Find me, for example, an XML Editor that even comes close to the XMLSpy an windows.
The only thing I found was oXigen, and it's a little java prg that doen't even come close to XMLspy. vWorse even, the text in the editor window is a bit jumpy in size - you can't use the ****ing editor, because actually you can never be sure where your cursor is positioned. It looks like sitting in the right place, but when you press backspace, the wrong char is deleted. it drives youi nuts.
The next thing I tried was not written in pure jave - turned out that I could not see whar text I marked... and it was slow as molassus.
The only non java editor was for OS pre X ...

The same with developing evrionment - try setting up a MIDP devel environment an a mac. Takes a couple of days, and then still doesn't work as good as elsewhere...

It's a pitty really, because I'd like to sell my pc and get a Powermac instead - but it will keep me from fast working.

Cuckoo
Jul 20, 2003, 04:17 AM
Did it fail?

Personally i don't think so.

Apples image has changed in my opinion as well as in the opinions of those around me. It used to have (not trying to insult anybody) an image of people who wanted to work with computers but couldn't quite figure out how one worked, the type of people who bought a VCR but couldn't figure out it's remote.
Partial to the switch campain, partial to OSX this image has changed to an image of users who use a well build well thought of system.

But what does puzzle me, is a lot of folks are really fanatical on the subject of marketshare. I doubt that Apple would bennifit from a big marketshare.
To make this point more clear, my ISP used to be small and tech-minded, not a big fancy quick helpdesk, most problems were solved in the newsgroups. If a used had a problem, everything was solved in a personal and a friendly way. But in time, my ISP descided it should offer DSL to the masses, and now the friendly newsgroup is filled with trolls, and complaining teenagers about f**cking ISP and ****** service, and they have lost their mojo so to speak in order to grow.

I strongly believe that attrackting masses isn't always the key to survival, but it's just my opinion.

And as a note on the side, sorry about the spelling, but I'm not a native speaker and I haven't got a spell-check handy.

mmmdreg
Jul 20, 2003, 04:30 AM
hmm, speaking of G4's and G5's, I wonder what would've happened if motorola made their G5 that never came.

VIREBEL661
Jul 20, 2003, 05:46 AM
I know three people who switched over the last year, but I think they would've switched anyway - fed up with windoze!!! Market share is really misleading - a think a majority of PC's are selected for cheap skulldrudgery (cash registers, etc.)... Macs are way ahead of the curve to be used in this way (overqualified?)... What about Sun or Silicon Graphics market share??? Does it really matter??? I dunno - Apple is in sort of a different class in my opinion..

yzedf
Jul 20, 2003, 09:30 PM
Failed. Big time.

The store is working to bring in new people, but the older die hards that bought G3's when they were the hot thing are not buying new stuff.

Apple is stagnant right now. Maybe the G5 will do something, but I doubt it.

Most likely they will stay a 2-5% market share company. They just don't know how to compete, or advertise effectively. That is fine.

Just stop telling me that OS X is going to rule the world.

Sayhey
Jul 20, 2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Failed. Big time.

The store is working to bring in new people, but the older die hards that bought G3's when they were the hot thing are not buying new stuff.

Apple is stagnant right now. Maybe the G5 will do something, but I doubt it.

Most likely they will stay a 2-5% market share company. They just don't know how to compete, or advertise effectively. That is fine.

Just stop telling me that OS X is going to rule the world.

OS X is going to rule the world!:D Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, I read that Apple's share in the consumer market and the education market have increased. Don't know how much of that came from the switch campaign. I do think some analysts wouldn't believe Apple was successful if the company had a 25% share. It looks like to me Apple is headed in the right direction instead of the former steady decline.

idea_hamster
Jul 21, 2003, 11:38 AM
Um, sorry, but -- to the extent that UNIX-based programming runs just about everything between the back of your CPU and the back of the next person's CPU, I think that it's already in control of most of what we think of as the "information age", the "dot com world", "being connected/wired/whatever".

Is OS X going to rule the world? Well, in a way, it might.

Personally, I simply *cannot wait* to see MicroChump try to cop Apple's move and cobble together a version of windows that has the same UNIX functionality. (I forsee failure.)

In the end, MicroSoft will be like the medieval fortified center of lots of modern European cities: an artifact of when monolithic stregnth was paramount but ultimately of little consequence.

dswoodley
Jul 21, 2003, 12:28 PM
I guess relative numbers are one thing (market share) - but does anyone have the absolute numbers? I read somewhere once that there are over 20,000,000 serviceable Macs out there. In my opinion, that is not an insignificant number.

mymemory
Jul 21, 2003, 12:43 PM
The problem with Apple is the price, the machines are expensive that is the botton line, period! they can last longuer, etc, etc but you are paying for that. Apple would be a good computer if you can get the same features on a PC for the same price. I can get a good PC laptop for $700.

How do you think and entire corporation is gonna change all their systems for Apple computers? never in life, is too expensive, if you are gonna have a technitian any way to fix the networks then save that money and go for PC.

Apple is cutting corners but the botton line is that Macs are too expensive, that is why I allways get 2nd hand computers, I know they are good but they cost me 1/3 of the original proce just 6 month later the new line came out and they last 2 years at list any way.

It is just a matter of common sense.