Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
no the docs do not work,
but I have not tried the spreadsheet program, it may work

EDIT: nope no spreadsheet either

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I would like to see DataViz do for the iPhone what they did for Palm devices. Documents to Go does a great job with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files. That's what I'd like on the iPhone. :)

billyoungs

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
Carrying Documents on Your iPhone

I would like to create documents on the iPhone -- and that seems difficult at this time. I would also like to carry certain documents with me on the phone -- essays I want to read, documents I want to memorize (say, The Gettysburg Address), etc. Here is an easy to download documents to the phone:

Either compose the document in an email on your computer -- or cut and paste words from another source into an email message. Then simply send the email to yourself and retrieve it on your iPhone. This morning, for example, I saw an historical essay on line on my computer and I wanted to read later. So I emailed it to myself and can now read it on the phone.

Limitations and challenges:

-- It would be nice to be able (1) to change the size of the email text, enlarging it within the window, and (2) to view in landscape mode.

-- Apostrophies come out as question marks in my first test of this approach.

-- I'm not certain whether the documents reside on the iPhone once retrieved or stay on a server. If in the iPhone that would allow viewing, of course, when not on line. (The iPhone does this with stored photos, songs, and other media, and so why not documents....)

If and when a program like Documents to Go becomes available for the iPhone, that would be very useful. But in the mean time the email approach does at least teach the iPhone to facilitate access to written works as well as other media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.