Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PuzZLeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Toronto Canada
I have been through the posts in this forum about the speculations for the next iPod, and I'm very frustrated to read that very little discussion is about video specs.

There is too much talk about this wireless, Internet, even organizer crap. Geez guys, the iPod is NOT a phone, or Blackberry or Palm Pilot – it’s a music and video machine.

I do like the newer playback features of the iPhone, and should be included in the next iPod, but that’s where the similarities should end. I believe it’s video specs that Apple should work on for the next iPod to ensure differentiation from the iPhone, especially since the video specs are currently very weak. Since I know Apple reads these forums, here’s a good step in the right direction:

1- Include the Main profile for H.264 on the iPod. Baseline is already too old. As well, if you’re going to include Main, then include CABAC, otherwise there’s no point. Don’t make the same mistake like on @ TV which has ticked off many people. I’m certain that the time has come for portables to be able to handle higher complexity video.

2- Increase the bitrate max from 1500kbps to at least 2500kbps for better quality video.

3- Include anamorphic playback – true DvD type resolutions. The rez of 640x480 is a step in the right direction, but Apple shouldn’t limit their hardware to just square pixels. This will be a great feature if Apple creates a screen much like the iPhone and will be real cool when hooking up for TV playback.

4- And speaking of TV playback, this should be the main focus of Apple for the next iPod. Make the portable a true video machine that can port video and play it on any available TV and still look great. HDTV is selling well, and the iPod can be a companion to it in many ways.

We’re all sick of encoding for several different formats. Don’t reduce the iPod to the least common denominator. Yes, QT compatibility is important, but let’s have one common format that’s got great portability among devices and truly enhances the real potential of H.264. As well, this will make Apple a true leader, setting standards in an age where music, images and even video is truly portable and compatible among many platforms. Make hardware incompatibility obsolete.

Thanks for reading. I’d love to hear other’s opinions on this.

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
To me, it seems like no one has actually thought through the wireless internet browsing idea properly. Think about it... if you buy an iPhone, you get charged to use the internet on it by AT&T.

Apple wouldn't add internet to the iPod because they have no way of easily charging people. They would never make internet browsing free on the iPod because people would complain that its unfair on the iPhone users.

:rolleyes: Has no one actually throught about that yet?

Apple would never do that!

Get real!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
To me, it seems like no one has actually thought through the wireless internet browsing idea properly. Think about it... if you buy an iPhone, you get charged to use the internet on it by AT&T.

Apple wouldn't add internet to the iPod because they have no way of easily charging people. They would never make internet browsing free on the iPod because people would complain that its unfair on the iPhone users.

Get real!

I'm guess people are thing the 6G iPod would get Wi-Fi only internet...like on a laptop(or desktops even now)

Walk into a hotspot, you browser for free. Assuming the person paying the bill doesn't make you pay for the usage of the router.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI

Get real!

I think that you might have overthought the whole wireless possibility. People would use wireless like zap2 said, in a hotspot or at a university or on their home network, not like an EDGE or 3G system. And most of the speculation has come from Jobs saying that they've been developing an iPod on OSX. We have no idea what that means, some may think they do, but the only speculation that is logical is that it'll be more similar to the iPhone than different. In my mind, I see more of a N800 type of product, just prettier and Apple Branded with more innovation and marketing. That being said, the OP has valid points, Apple should make an effort to improve their video quality first and add a couple extras later.

In a somewhat bittersweet way, I think that more people would buy the new iPod b/c of new bells and whistles rather than any increase in media performance. I say this b/c from my experience, most common users that "received an iPod Video for Christmas/as a gift or just b/c they want to see why everyone has one" just use it solely for music first. Their user experiences usually go like this:

1. They rip all their CDs into iTunes and sync to the iPod
2. They sync their photos and go "ooh and ahh" as they look at them and show their friends/family their new gadgets.
3. Then they discover podcasts and download a few.
4. Finally then they try out the video on the iPod.
4.5 They download a free video from iTunes, and maybe a few music videos.
5. They try to convert some of their movies and put them on the iPod next b/c their first video experiences were enjoyable. After becoming frustrated at trying to convert some of their movies to the correct format and unwilling to purchase more videos from the iTunes store they give up on using Videos and use it in mostly in their car/at home/in the gym to listen to music.

I think it is safe to say that the majority of iPod users don't connect their iPods to their TVs. If this is the case, it would be like Apple to try to come up with new "wow" ways to expand their market. Upgrading video playback isn't a "wow" spec for most users. But I do hope that it is included in the new iPod to satisfy users who are able to take advantage of this technology.

Chiggs

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
I agree 100% with the request for supporting a higher bitrate. I have several DVD's that I own as well as home movies that I have ripped to watch on my iPod and also on my iMac. The bitrate that works on my iPod looks bad when played on the larger iMac screen and the bitrate that looks good on the iMac won't work on the iPod. If Apple could increase the iPod supported bitrate from the 1500 range to 2500 or so I would be a very happy camper !!!

Chris

http://www.stockphotojournal.com

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I have been through the posts in this forum about the speculations for the next iPod, and I'm very frustrated to read that very little discussion is about video specs.

...Make hardware incompatibility obsolete.

Back on topic - I have very little to say on this, except I'd expect the 6G iPod, if it's ANYTHING like the iPhone video-wise, to have very similar specs. There may be more relevant posts in the iPhone forum. I'm sure the more video-appropriate screen would require a higher-quality of file standards.

"Make hardware incompatibility obsolete" - thinking back on the history and present of the Mac OS, I think this is a very funny expectation to have of Apple. You wanna use their goodies, you gotta buy their stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.