PDA

View Full Version : is good charlotte the next green day?

jefhatfield
Jul 19, 2003, 11:41 AM
i hail from the original punk generation of the 70s so i don't really know the new stuff

i have heard a couple of good charlotte songs and they seem to have the same pop punk energy that can make them the next green day

thoughts?

what about blink?

Abstract
Jul 19, 2003, 12:43 PM
The next Green Day? Whoa, I sure hope not. :p I hate Green Day, except for their song, "Time of your Life", but everybody likes that song. Otherwise.......bleh. And lets not even talk about Blink. I know that Blink 182 have a lot of fans, but I'm not one of them. Sorry. I heard Good Charlotte is just a bad imitation of the two.

"My ears are bleeding. My ears are Bleeding!!!"

Macpoops
Jul 19, 2003, 12:44 PM
There can never really be another Green Day. They were trailblazers in the eyes of Pop music. They brought Punk to the masses. If your about being true to the punk roots Good Charlotte is far from it much further then Blink. Blink paid their dues for quite a few years before going corporate. Good Charlotte when right to it, MTV ASAP. GC fans don't go off the deepend on me on of my buddies grew up listening to them as they lived on the same street in Maryland.

robbieduncan
Jul 19, 2003, 12:47 PM
Erm aren't Green Day still around. I'm sure they played London last year! Good Charlotte are very good, but I'm note sure they have the same pop attraction that Green Day have now, or the energy of Dookie.

BaghdadBob
Jul 19, 2003, 02:12 PM
In one word: no.

I like Green Day. I was listening to them at the same time I was knee-deep in NIN, go fig.

Anyone who thinks either Green Day, Blink-suck, or Good Charlotte is punk is a little off-base. In the last decade we have seen punk go from a sorta-kinda political form of music to an excuse not to have any talent, message, or point. IMO it's also an excuse to be somewhere between a boy-band and a rock star, with the, er, benefits of both.

That said, Green Day is soft punk, and they were an entertaining listen, they were full of energy, and even though their music was mostly pointless it was pretty good. They didn't take themselves too seriously, an important point for a modern punk band.

I have never found any redeeming value to Good Charlotte, their music stinks, their lyrics are juvenille (even for """punk"""), and the lead singer has a spider-web on his elbow. That's enough for me to not like anyone.

As for Blink-182, don't even get me started.

scem0
Jul 19, 2003, 05:10 PM
blink 182...... PUNK?!??!

ahahahahahahhhttp://www.my-smileys.de/cunao.gif

There is barely even a hint of punk in their music.

it is POP POP POP.

I really can't stand punk music, but my fav punk band (the only one I don't hate) would have to be the Impossibles.

I still don't like them though.

Good Charlotte is annoying as hell. They aren't very punky either, more poppy. I can't stand any of their songs.

scem0

trebblekicked
Jul 19, 2003, 05:41 PM
i think avril lavigne throwing up the horns on SNL signaled the official death of punk. as for good charlotte, my little sister listens to them, and she seems to like them. she also likes something called hubastank (sp?) and O-Town, so draw your own conclusions.

scem0
Jul 19, 2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by trebblekicked
i think avril lavigne throwing up the horns on SNL signaled the official death of punk. as for good charlotte, my little sister listens to them, and she seems to like them. she also likes something called hubastank (sp?) and O-Town, so draw your own conclusions.

hoobastank is good.... I was actually listening to them when I read that. How funny.

Avril makes good pop music. She shouldn't deny that it is pop though, because it is.

scem0

BaghdadBob
Jul 19, 2003, 06:52 PM
Hoobastank wishes it was Tool. Just my opinion...

Kwyjibo
Jul 19, 2003, 06:59 PM
gc is pop punk.

medea
Jul 19, 2003, 10:01 PM
the word pop punk is an oxymoron, and bands like good charlotte and all the rest of them are quite horrid, they should just call themselves skater pop.....

Kwyjibo
Jul 19, 2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by medea
the word pop punk is an oxymoron,

the phrase pop punk may be an oxymoron, but I don't tihnk it is. Ok I'm sorry but I think theres a spectrum of punk music, theres what the purists would call hardcore punk music, where a few elitests gather and play their so called classic records and look down on everyone else. Lets say thats all the way to the right.

In the middle there are modern real punk bands....whatever you define that as.

on the left Pop-Punk, just because you don't like something doesn't mean you just change its origin or style. Just because a percentage of a groups listeners are young annd a song catches on it doesn't devalue the music. I like good charlotees first cd because of the single little things, . the album was alright but good enough to warrant the purchase of a new cd and honestly I like the cd. Its well written and its melodic. You can accuse them of writing for 13year olds all you want but its simply not true. Case and point the first single Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous (this song was palyed alot but it has a point celebrities complain about dumb crap and they make a couple of great funy references that work into the song seemlessly "If you were caught and you were smokin crack, McDonalds wouldn't even want to take you back but you can always jsut run for mayor of DC" now I wonder how many 13yr old girls listened to that song and said ohh yeah hes talking about former District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry who was convicted of felony possesion of crack/cocaine and touted the famous one liner "the b**** set me up".

The band AFI is another great example. After years of a deep underground culture they make a new record and its awesome. the new record gets played on the radio...gasp...they sold out...boom instantly the record isn't as good because some pompous self proclaimed old fan says "they've changed man" when the record was written without the least bit of fame.

my point is clear, hardcore punk is not the same as pop punk. Pop punk is upbeat ( shocker) sometimes funny and its not always some guy whining or singing so fast you can even understand the "deep" lyrics.

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 10:55 PM
Green day sold out. (You can say sell outs, but think about it grammically, they sold out, they didn't sell out.)

By meaning are they the next half decent punk band, I hope not.

there are better band out there, many look for the spot up there, few succeed.

Steradian
Jul 19, 2003, 11:27 PM
O I should really hope not, I would rather strangle myself than listen to them...uhg...I think that the next "green day" like band would be more like "less than Jake" or maybe even pennywise...but then again Punk music isn't my fav :D I perfer me metal \M/

job
Jul 19, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Hoobastank wishes it was Tool. Just my opinion...

Whahahahahha...

No, Hoobastank wishes it was Incubus. Sounds exactly the same anyways. :D :p

BaghdadBob
Jul 19, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by job
Whahahahahha...

No, Hoobastank wishes it was Incubus. Sounds exactly the same anyways. :D :p
Yeah, and Incubus wishes it was deep. Kinda circular ;)

LethalWolfe
Jul 19, 2003, 11:46 PM
I would say that GC is the next Blink 182. In other words, they are Mtv's next pet pop punk band. I thought Mtv would've kept Sum 41 around longer, but I think GC can probably be marketed better.

I'm not an elitiest or anything I just don't like pop punk because the things that make me enjoy listening to punk aren't present in pop punk.

Lethal

job
Jul 19, 2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I thought Mtv would've kept Sum 41 around longer, but I think GC can probably be marketed better.

Yeah no kidding.

Let see, we've had Blink, New Found Glory, Sum 41, and now Good Charlotte. Any other MTV pet bands that I've forgotten?

Thank God the Ataris are still around. I haven't listened to their latest yet though.

MCPeck
Jul 20, 2003, 12:34 AM
Real punk are the Vandals, Rancid, Bad Religion, etc.
While Blink may have punk..um..tendencies, they are truely a corporate product, and GC is a 110% corp product, not in the punk tradition of garage practicing and begging for gigs at the local dive bar.
Tho not as malformed and doomed to hatred as say Britney, Christina, BSB, We'Stync, and such...they are still created and products of THE MAN.
They have been created to stand on the shoulders of giants, and genius' to try and claim themselves as equals. Remember when Green Day was hated and subjegated fromt he punk community for selling out? That was true punk. The point is this; has anyone heard of or from GC before they were on MTV? Not I...

Damn the Man!

job
Jul 20, 2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by MCPeck

How about the Sex Pistols? ;) :p

The point is this; has anyone heard of or from GC before they were on MTV? Not I...

One of my co-workers who is really into the underground punk scene (at least that's what she claims) says they've been around for a while. She's into AFI, et al. I don't know though. I don't really care for GC anyways.

Kwyjibo
Jul 20, 2003, 12:44 AM
The point is this; has anyone heard of or from GC before they were on MTV? Not

Yeah, mtv didn't really play any of the GC singles fro mthe first album, Little thhings, motivation Proclimation or The festival Song were all dud videos, great songs but dud videos.

The vandals aren't that good. a few of their songs ae catchy like Soccer Mom and Dissaprotionted head but doesn't seem like anytihng to run home about. I was more excited to see the cartoon macs on their cd cover.

Kwyjibo
Jul 20, 2003, 12:49 AM
internet dating superstuds

mac15
Jul 20, 2003, 12:51 AM
they surpase them , green day suck

LethalWolfe
Jul 20, 2003, 01:15 AM

Speaking of Rancid...

I really wanted to see the Distillers play at Lollapalooza but a storm rolled thru and they shut down the 2nd stage right before their set. :(

Lethal

eyelikeart
Jul 20, 2003, 09:35 AM
hmm...I didn't ever like Green Day...

and I couldn't tell u who Good Charlotte is...

the stuff isn't my bag...sorry... ;)

pEZ
Jul 20, 2003, 10:35 AM
I didn't even consider Green Day to be "Punk" - they were so popular, especially when Dookie came out, that I had always considered them "alternative," the key phrase for music at that time. But most music that was coming out then had that label, so we all know it was used too widely.

Two other bands that got smooshed into the exact same scene were (the) Offspring and Stone Temple Pilots, and I would tend to classify them as more punk than Green Day ever was.

As for Hoobastank, they are trying to be like Incubus. IMO, Tool is in a league of it's own, they have some bizarre stuff floating around.

As for Good Charlotte, they are tending to be a pet band like Sum 41, but if people buy their music, who's to say it sucks? Just to relate it back to the board, just because you don't like to use Macs doesn't mean they suck.

And I will concur, with "don't even get me started on Blink 182."

danann
Jul 21, 2005, 07:27 AM
i would say that the new greenday is the old good charlotte they have as much make-up and ****.
in stead of blink

wrxguy
Jul 21, 2005, 07:30 AM
Green Day Blows....Good Charlotte Blows....bottom line

takao
Jul 21, 2005, 07:50 AM
can't stand them (somehow similiar to most green day songs.. can't stand those either

and i somehow doubt they will improve as magically like Sum 41 where in the beginning i couldn't even stand their singles, the next CD got 'borrowed' and the last one got even bought by myself ... at least they try to abolish their "happy teenage mtv fun rock" image a little bit with their now _a lot_ better music not like blink who still sound the same

superninjagoat
Jul 21, 2005, 08:38 AM
"Time of your Life", but everybody likes that song.

I thought is was more of an over payed, cum-by-ya anthem that sealed their radio-edited future. "Time of Your Life" (and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" for that matter) is like Van Morrison singing "Gloria" when you know he's more of a "Moondance" kinda' guy. It's not bad, and everybody likes it, but it loses the integrity of the artist's greater body of work.

And on topic, I don't know Good Charlotte, but I'll check 'em out. If there Green Dayish, I'm cool. If they're all Blink 182, I'll leave them alone.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 21, 2005, 08:53 AM
for good, non mtv punk and (primarily) hardcore, check out hellfest (http://www.hellfest.com/) this year in trenton, nj.

a mix of punk like anti-flag, and more hardcore like nora, boy sets fire, etc.

and then there's reunions of bands like lifetime. youth of today also was scheduled to play at some point.

i'm not big into those huge festivals though, as i don't generally like the people there much or enough of the bands to make the big $ worth it.

but with bands like:

boy sets fire
ensign
stretch arm strong
rise against
strike anywhere
champion

in one place... hard to pass up.

speaking of reunions.. apparently gorilla biscuits is playing at cbgb in august...

nightdweller25
Jul 21, 2005, 08:55 AM
I personally despise Green Day, Good Charlotte, and Blink-182 with all my might. (and NO I am NOT 50, I'm 15 so it is in my generation)

devilot
Jul 21, 2005, 08:57 AM
I think Sum41 will last longer than Good Charlotte (I like Sum41 more). I agree that lately, Green Day hasn't sounded as punk as their roots but it's forgivable considering their age now and how long they've been in the industry-- they're finally getting a real break (and selling stadiums out!!).

For "real" punk (and I know someone will inevitably claim it's not) I like Nerf Herders. Hee, my original definition for a punk band maintained that the lead singer must never sing on key. :p

::edit:: Regarding Green Day as in the generation for current 15 year olds, perhaps... But they also reached a huge peak when my sister was about 15 (she's 26 now). That was w/ Dookie.

applemacdude
Jul 21, 2005, 09:19 AM
no

sakasune
Jul 21, 2005, 10:05 AM
I will try to make this post without using the words "sucks" or "no-talent ass clowns". :D If people buy an song/album there must be someone who thinks they don't suck.:p

My opinion is this: Green Day was alternative/sorta-punk up to and including Dookie. There sound has changed over time but I think are still good. Wikipedia lists them as pop-punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_day ).

And no, pop-punk isn't an oxymoron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_punk), the term did become popular because of Blink (I thought that before I saw that on Wikipedia). Blink didn't start off corporate, listen to Buddha or Chershire Cat. I believe they sound better in those albums than Enema of the State (that was the last Blink album I bought). Nothing after Dude Ranch pleases me. I don't like them as much as I used to, but every once in a while my iPod will play something off their older albums.

Good Charlotte...I don't know what to say. Not a fan of their songs except for the one that was used for the short-lived show Undergrads (the name of it escapes me right now). I will find that song "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous", that might be good.

My personal tastes for punk and all the punk variations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_punk_genres - what can I say, they don't give me enough to do at work) include but not limited to Green Day, Offspring, Bad Religion, Pennywise, NOFX, Anti-flag, Less Than Jake, Ramones, Rancid, Vandals, and some stuff I picked up in Australia like Frenzal Rhomb (who has songs on the US iTMS).

Just my two cents...Now, I guess I have to go and do some work.

Lacero
Jul 21, 2005, 10:09 AM
I always thought green day was sky and sky were the back street boys. didnt't know of the bsb cross over from nkotb?

XNine
Jul 21, 2005, 10:54 AM
While Blink may have punk..um..tendencies, they are truely a corporate product, and GC is a 110% corp product, not in the punk tradition of garage practicing and begging for gigs at the local dive bar.

I really hope you are kidding. Bad Religion sold out. The Vandals are happy-core crap. Rancid Sold out. Whatever happened to real PUNK bands. The Exploited, Special Duties, the Vibrators, GBH, Subhumans?! I could go on for days.

This new-wave, EMO, pop "punk" is just crap. Punk wasn't just a style of music. It was a movement. A protest against society, Margaret Thatcher and Ronal Raegen. Iggy and the Stooges started the whole thing off (no, it was not the Ramones or the Sex Pistols, and the Ramones were around BEFORE the Sex Pistols. Hell, you could even argue that Led Zepplin and the Who were the God fathers of punk rock.)

So please, when referring to anything on MTV, please do not call it "xxxx punk," because if ti's on MTV it's all about the money and not about the people.

There's still bands that play purely for the people. They don't need the radio or MTV. They produce albums and tour.

The End

LethalWolfe
Jul 21, 2005, 03:20 PM
2 years almost to the day. Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Lethal

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2005, 04:05 PM
2 years almost to the day. Holy thread resurrection Batman!Yeah, I was momentarily stunned. I saw that pEZ posted on July 20 and danann posted on July 21, but then noticed the years: 2003 and 2005!

I'm certainly never guilty of posting to old threads myself, so I can tease others who do. :rolleyes:

devilot
Jul 21, 2005, 04:21 PM
I'm certainly never guilty of posting to old threads myself, so I can tease others who do.
I thought I read in an FAQ somewhere on MR that we're supposed to revive old threads rather than start whole bunch of new ones?:confused: If not, woops on my part.

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2005, 05:19 PM
I thought I read in an FAQ somewhere on MR that we're supposed to revive old threads rather than start whole bunch of new ones?:confused: If not, woops on my part.You are correct that continuing an old thread, if it is still applicable, is a good idea. Resurrecting this one was fine. And you weren't the resurrector anyway. Finding that people are surprised when an old thread reappears is to be expected, and is also harmless.

iGav
Jul 23, 2005, 02:26 PM
Iggy and the Stooges started the whole thing off

I don't think any one artist or band can lay claim to starting punk off... it was more an evolution and juxtaposition of what came before it rather than a completely new movement... it could be argued that Dylan was a punk for example.

Ones thing's for sure though... the Pistols weren't punk. And neither are bands like Green Day, Blink, Sum, Good Charlotte etc etc...

FermentedAssHat
Apr 12, 2006, 01:09 PM
no good charlotte sucks ass

gauchogolfer
Apr 12, 2006, 01:38 PM
no good charlotte sucks ass

Welcome to the forums....way to resurrect a dead thread though.

mannix87
Apr 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
don't like GC and probably never will. concocted image and their acts are a bit too studied

mjstew33
Apr 13, 2006, 11:03 PM
I hate good charlotte, i love green day.

no way gc is taking over green day.

thecheda
Apr 14, 2006, 02:56 AM
no

word.

meaculpa20v
Aug 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
i hail from the original punk generation of the 70s so i don't really know the new stuff

i have heard a couple of good charlotte songs and they seem to have the same pop punk energy that can make them the next green day

thoughts?

what about blink?

um . . . NO! Good Charlotte will never be as good as Green Day. True some of their songs are pretty damn catchy, but Green Day is "classic."

Blink 182 is good, not a new Green Day either but they actually have some musical skill compared to Good Charlotte. Mainly due to Travis Barker, what a drummer.

Simply Green Day is in it's own class. More angst the neither of the other bands and less "pop." My duex cents.

steviem
Aug 27, 2006, 04:38 AM
Hmm,

Well Blink are on their indefinite hiatus, so they can't be the 'Next Green Day'.
Tom has gone a bit too U2 with Angels And Airwaves, but they went a bit like The Used (well, softer anyway) on the Untitled album and in Tom and Travis' side project Boxcar Racer.
I don't agree that Green Day have more angst than Blink-182, just listen to 'All of this' or 'I'm lest without you' those two songs should give enough evidence for you.

Good Charlotte seemed to be too Corporate from the offset.

Sum41, they have always been a fun band to listen to, 'Half Hour of Power' and 'All Killer, No Filler' were their best albums, then they went all political...

One band I can think of with punk energy off the top of my head is Be Your Own PET...

meaculpa20v
Aug 27, 2006, 04:54 AM
supposedly Blink is coming out with a new album by the end of the year.

Sum41 really kicks ass. Those guys sound so good together. They are probably the closest to Green Day.

kristiano
Aug 28, 2006, 10:18 PM
Pop, punk who cares?

Green Day and G'Charlotte are entirely different IMO. For one, Green Day don't seem to make the emo music that GC seem to be getting into.