PDA

View Full Version : Educational Price Drops

zvitali
Jul 19, 2003, 11:40 AM
Wow, just noticed that Apple Store for Education has increased its discount from 5% to 10%. Good news, not sure if it's new though....

Edit, some thing are even 15%!

Abstract
Jul 19, 2003, 11:43 AM
I was never sure to the extent of the discount. I live in Canada, so I just thought it was different.

For a 12" 900MHz iBook, regular price is $1850, but I could get it for $1775 with an educational discount. That equates to:

(1850-1775)/1850 = 4%

That's not very good. :(

mrougeux
Jul 19, 2003, 12:29 PM
Within the last half hour (about 1 pm EDT), Apple lowered the educational price of a dual G5 by 200 bucks to 2699. I checked my order status, and it now reflects the new lower price! The delivery date is still on or before 8/29.

Mark

Orome
Jul 19, 2003, 12:32 PM
I just checked the prices on G5s in the Apple Store for Education and it looks like they've made the educational discount even more (10%-15% they say). To me (and most people like me, students) this is GREAT news!

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 12:51 PM
Hm... are they acually begining to understand that schools need a little more off then a small percent, this is a start, but it still should be ALOT higher, apple has the highest profit ratio of any computer company.

actripxl
Jul 19, 2003, 12:54 PM
Well there's another price drop on the education portion and finally decided on getting the 15" Ti, one question though do I have to go through my school or can I just take my id to any apple stores? Also how long does it usually take?

richie
Jul 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
Hrmmm, don't know if this has changed recently, but ~600 AUD off the dual 2ghz g5 in the Australian Apple Store is tempting... I must resist... must wait for rev 2!

mxpiazza
Jul 19, 2003, 01:01 PM
this morning i tried to check the order status of my computer, and it said "Sorry! Order Status is currently unavailable!" So i figured they were updating something or another. I was really suprised to see the price drop, and that is sweet that the price drops are reflected upon the already ordered systems. Apple really, REALLY scored big on this one. Thanks!

(now all we need is a definite ship date... hehe...)

Freg3000
Jul 19, 2003, 01:09 PM
Cool. They could have been insanly mean and not given the price drop to all previously made orders. But then again you could always cancel your order and remake it.

Good move Apple.

miradu
Jul 19, 2003, 01:23 PM
powerbooks were dropped to - 12 inches are now $100 less than before, $200 off retail.

zkmusa
Jul 19, 2003, 01:25 PM
Yeah, this is really good! You can get a combo drive Powerbook 12" for $1399, or you can get a 15" combo at the 12" combo price from a month ago ($1799)!

Darn it, why is Apple teasing me like this??? If they keep doing this, I'm going to give in and buy a current model Powerbook!

Grimace
Jul 19, 2003, 01:29 PM
I don't see any reduction for the 17" PB ...

one might think that Apple would reduce ALL of the portables since they (portables) are the most popular college choice.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 19, 2003, 01:45 PM
That's it! I'm going to start working my wife to get a new G5! One more reason why it's great being a teacher. Thanks Apple!:D

zkmusa
Jul 19, 2003, 01:47 PM
I dunno if this is just me, but I just noticed something.

if you look at the cost of the Applecare protection plan for the 12" Powerbook, it is listed as $239. Isn't this significantly cheaper than what it used to be listed for? I know the powerbook applecare protection plan is generally $349, but I thought it was like $325 or something on the education store.

Am I right or just confused?

AppleMatt
Jul 19, 2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic

one might think that Apple would reduce ALL of the portables since they (portables) are the most popular college choice.

Perhaps the 17" isn't seen as a student machine (speculation)

Anyway, good stuff. I'd like to see a better reduction on accessories, such as Airport Extreme cards etc, at the moment it's hardly worth having, but it's definately a good move.

AppleMatt

aptenergy
Jul 19, 2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt

Anyway, good stuff. I'd like to see a better reduction on accessories, such as Airport Extreme cards etc, at the moment it's hardly worth having, but it's definately a good move.

AppleMatt

$2,999.00
17-inch TFT Display
1440x900 resolution
1GHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go
64MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400
FireWire 800
AirPort Extreme built-in
Bluetooth built-in
DVI & S-Video out
Discounted from $3,299 retail price

Guess it depends what college you are under?....

MattG
Jul 19, 2003, 01:53 PM
Maybe they finally figured out that it's not much of a "discount" for students when you give 5% off on the product and then you have to pay 6% (depending on where you live) sales tax! Might as well order it from Outpost...

synthetickittie
Jul 19, 2003, 01:55 PM
DAM YOU APPLE! I been wanting a powerbook so bad (dont NEED it until September for college but just want it as soon as I can because well Im impatient) but Ive been killing myself trying to wait untill they updated them or once school started, which ever comes first. NOW with this it may just make me get a powerbook NOW! I think Im gonna wait definitely untill this tuesday and at the most 2 more tuesdays then gonna go to my local apple store and flash my Boston University ID and pick up on these savings.

abdul
Jul 19, 2003, 01:57 PM
do you know whats funny. if you got the uk education store and put get the price of the discounted ipod, and then to the us (normal) applestore and convert the price of that from $ to £, the us normal apple store is cheaper....so much for student discount!!!

MattG
Jul 19, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic

I thought the 17" was $3149 before this. Now it's $2999.

macnews
Jul 19, 2003, 02:03 PM
I was wondering what all the fuss was about because I didn't notice any price drop - then it dawned on me. Apple used to have seperate pricing for students (facutly and staff inculded at same price point) and a different discount if you were ordering for your department (or the university in general).

The price differences on hardware used to be $100 of retail for students and $200 off retail for departments. Ordering as a department is nice to save an extra $100/machine but is a pain in the but to go through university purchasing to get a PO number.

I was very excited when I first noticed this because I was hoping it meant I could now order some items on my University credit card and skip the PO process. The only downside is my University credit card has a $1500/day limit meaning the new G5 would still have to go through the PO process. Still, having hopes I might be able to order software at the new prices I noticed something else. Apple did not extend the same discount to students as it did for departments. Example: Final Cut Pro ordering as a student is $399 upgrade or $499 new. Ordering for a department there is no upgrade, full version is $299. Oh well, just means I will have to check for prices differences item by item. I understand Apple's reasoning for this (to ensure items actually go to academic use) and do appreciate the discounts.

In the big picture this is great for students - and a good move for Apple relationship wise! If you normally buy as a department though don't be looking for any new price cuts on your invoice. Now lets just hope we get an updated 15" PB in the coming weeks for back to school. :D

voyagerd
Jul 19, 2003, 02:08 PM
YAY! I can get more memory or a Superdrive on my G5!!!:D :D :D

you
Jul 19, 2003, 02:10 PM
I hope this isnt apple apologizing for not having new powerbooks before school starts.

Freg3000
Jul 19, 2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by you
I hope this isnt apple apologizing for not having new powerbooks before school starts.

You're damn right. Right now, the rating on this story is 29 to 1 (+ to -). I am sure if people knew that this was done because there were going to be no new PowerBooks until November or so it might be the other way around. Hopefully they are clearing inventory to make way for new PowerBooks-not apologizing for the lack of new ones. :)

Horrortaxi
Jul 19, 2003, 02:26 PM
I use the education store pretty regularly as a teacher, and they always have to ship things to my school.

The speed of delivery seems to depend on what you're buying. An iPod or Powerbook with nothing special (like extra memory or engraving) will probably just be a couple days. I've waited 4-6 weeks for some free stuff though--OS X, Keynote, iLife. Those took a while but for free are you going to complain?

scem0
Jul 19, 2003, 02:28 PM
Yes! This is EXACTLY why I didn't order my G5.

I just saved a hundred dollars by being patient.

I sure as hell am gunna order it now though ;).

scem0

macnews
Jul 19, 2003, 02:31 PM
Hey Fregg I noticed you use the Formac studio DV/TV. I just got mine a few weeks ago and have some questions if you can get in touch with me.

Sorry to post off topic.

arn
Jul 19, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by scem0

scem0

heh... actually - the people that ordered early (via the edu store) didn't get punished for ordering early. they also get the discount.

arn

AppleMatt
Jul 19, 2003, 02:37 PM

scem0

People are reporting their orders have been changed to reflect the change in price?

:confused:

AppleMatt

jouster
Jul 19, 2003, 02:42 PM
What POSSIBLE reason could anyone have for giving this a -ve rating.....

Backtothemac
Jul 19, 2003, 02:43 PM
Well, I personally think that it is about time for Apple to get agressive in their educational prices. Kick Dell out of that area of computing, and get all schools back where they need to be. On Mac's.

Freg3000
Jul 19, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by macnews
Hey Fregg I noticed you use the Formac studio DV/TV. I just got mine a few weeks ago and have some questions if you can get in touch with me.

Sorry to post off topic.

I have PMed you. :)

Puppies
Jul 19, 2003, 02:49 PM
Wow! Awesome! Granted, I'd rather they announce new PowerBooks, but this makes all of them a lot more palatable.

I was thinking of caving and getting an iBook, but it dropped $50 compared to the 1Ghz PowerBook's $200.

kwik
Jul 19, 2003, 02:50 PM
Well, I appreciate the discount, even though it sends the somewhat hidden message that the 15" PB will not be updated in time for school. Oh well, $300 below retail and a $69 iPod isn't that bad of a deal.

10 Goto 10
Jul 19, 2003, 02:55 PM
Considering how mac users bring more Macs into the Federal Gov't, you'd think they give the employees the same rate they charge the Feds. Heck, they should get the lowest rates of all.

Waluigi
Jul 19, 2003, 03:02 PM
Although I already ordered my G5 a few days ago, Apple automatically reduced the price of my G5 by almost 300 bucks! I'm so thrilled! Thank you Apple, you made my day.

--Waluigi

solvs
Jul 19, 2003, 03:05 PM
Some Apple Stores let you bring in your info and walk out with a new computer at the dicounted rate. Mine did. Bellingham, WA. You'll have to ask, though.

sonicsessions
Jul 19, 2003, 03:08 PM
now if only this applied to the discount for student developers in the ADC... I'd love to save another couple of hundred on my g5... heh.

(and yet final cut pro academic remains atop its lofty perch at 500 bucks...)

DHagan4755
Jul 19, 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by kwik
Well, I appreciate the discount, even though it sends the somewhat hidden message that the 15" PB will not be updated in time for school.Not so fast!

A poster over at the MacNN forums talks about how a Japanese electronics store says the TiBook has just been discontinued.

Link:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168982

A poster over at Apple Insider claims that the TiBook now has a ship date of October, that in the past wild ship dates of existing products indicated the product was EOL'ed.

Link:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27648&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

MacManDan
Jul 19, 2003, 03:22 PM
Big thumbs up from me!

I bought AppleCare for my PowerBook this week, and just received it yesterday. I noticed it was $97 cheaper by this rebate deal they have going on. I gave Apple a quick call, and it took little more than asking for the money back for them to gladly give me a $100.68 refund. I'm really happy with my purchase now! :D Good job Apple!

[edit: I got "tomorrow" and "yesterday" confused]

jettredmont
Jul 19, 2003, 03:25 PM

scem0

Given that no one's G5 has shipped yet, and, if I'm understanding correctly, the extra discount is being applied to all unshipped orders, it really doesn't matter if you ordered your G5 last week or tomorrow (except that the actual ship date would be sooner had you ordered last week ...)

solvs
Jul 19, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by zkmusa
I dunno if this is just me, but I just noticed something.

if you look at the cost of the Applecare protection plan for the 12" Powerbook, it is listed as $239. Isn't this significantly cheaper than what it used to be listed for? I know the powerbook applecare protection plan is generally $349, but I thought it was like $325 or something on the education store.

Am I right or just confused?

Yer right. G5 AppleCare is now $199 edu. Almost the same price as MacSolutions. Pretty cool, and well worth it.

pkradd
Jul 19, 2003, 03:54 PM

Sorry, already commented on above. Patience in this case was no virtue!!! :D

jaedreth
Jul 19, 2003, 03:55 PM
This is great news. I've been waiting for Apple to give its
EDU customers a *real* discount. Finally. This is actually
worth celebrating. Too bad I don't qualify. I'll just have
to pay full price. Oh well. I still want my G5.

Jaedreth

CCStandUpFan
Jul 19, 2003, 04:01 PM
Taken from the Apple Store for Education agreement page: Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30): Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year.

Buy now and you cannot buy again at the student rate for more than 11 months. It's not hard evidence, but it makes me think updates are not going to be massively delayed (although what is that anyway, I don't set Apple's release dates, Steve does) from the popular "6-month-cycle" expectations.

Maybe this pricing scheme is the middle road to keep the inventory moving and appease the group who would take a lower price over a better machine.

Regardless of when they are updated, if the 12" doesn't have a 1Ghz chip and a 2x Superdrive, then the wait will have been for nothing.

1st post -- thanks for a great site

wizard
Jul 19, 2003, 04:10 PM
I hate to say this, but in general isn't just about everything in the UK more expensive than just about anywhere else in the world? I'm not sure if bargains even exist in the UK.

thanks
Dave

Originally posted by abdul
do you know whats funny. if you got the uk education store and put get the price of the discounted ipod, and then to the us (normal) applestore and convert the price of that from $ to £, the us normal apple store is cheaper....so much for student discount!!!

wakedog
Jul 19, 2003, 04:19 PM
I hate to bring this up, but doesn't this generally parallel a good strategy (one I believe Apple has used before) to reduce stock of old product to make way for new?

It seems like new powerbooks may be just around the corner, based on the multiple promotions being run, two of which end around the september time frame (note: I don't know when this new 5-15% discount ends).

Anyways, I'm still holding out, since I just really want to get FCE and that promotion doesn't end until Sept. I'm willing to wait that long in hopes of a new PB.

psxndc
Jul 19, 2003, 04:24 PM
Man, when I saw "Educational Prices Dropped" in Slashdock, I thought it meant they discontinued the program. I was like "nooooooooooooooooooo!" since I'll be going back to school (for the first time since college, 5 years ago) in August.. Whew. Glad to see I'll still be able to get a discount on a (i|p)book.

-p

scem0
Jul 19, 2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by arn
heh... actually - the people that ordered early (via the edu store) didn't get punished for ordering early. they also get the discount.

arn

you just had to go off and ruin my bout of happiness!

thanks a lot!

pfft.....

;)

Well, its good that apple is doing exactly what they need to do - lower prices.

The high cost of macs is what is keeping them from gaining a large portion of the market share.

scem0

alia
Jul 19, 2003, 04:31 PM
Interestingly enough... my univeristy has already had $2299 for a new superdrive powerbook for quite a while now. It's great that every other university and college I tried has the same price though! :D

I never looked at our G5 prices, so they might have been higher and are now in line with other prices.

Anyway, awesome news!

Alia

Phatpat
Jul 19, 2003, 04:48 PM
I think most retail Apple stores will give you the educational discount. I know the Woodfield, IL one does.

ashish100
Jul 19, 2003, 04:48 PM
Nah there havnt been any changes to the Au Edu store... and im not sure I would expect any... with the long history of latancy at apple au... and despite the currancy rising a fair bit lately...

:(

CrackedButter
Jul 19, 2003, 05:03 PM
The prices in the UK havn't changed? What gives?

Chisholm
Jul 19, 2003, 05:12 PM
isn't this kinda' close to the timing of their financial statement? They had a higher profit margin per unit but lower sales volume on G4's. Maybe they are kinda' showin' the edu market a little love...wanting to spur some pre fall sales....little late seeing as how school starts in just a matter of weeks.

cheers!
-John

macrumors12345
Jul 19, 2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah, this is really good! You can get a combo drive Powerbook 12" for $1399

Actually, even cheaper, because you can get $200 off the iPod. Even if you don't want/need an iPod, you can still easily sell the 10 GB model, new and sealed, on Ebay for $260-$280, and it will only cost you $69 to buy the thing after the rebate. So effectively the 12" PB is now only $1199!

DGFan
Jul 19, 2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt

AppleMatt

One school (U of M art school I believe) required all students to buy 17" powerbooks. In some place it's a studen machine :)

DGFan
Jul 19, 2003, 05:23 PM
Considering that some schools are just $50 a credit hour - if you're going to buy a dual 2Ghz G5 why not sign up for a 3 credit class someplace? You can probably save some $$$$

:D

TPistrix
Jul 19, 2003, 05:30 PM
I actually bought my 12" PB with student discount about 2 weeks ago. I know with a lot of big electronics, there's a deal where if the price drops within a given amount of time you can some kind of rebate or something. I already missed out on the $100 printer rebate (tossed the box out before I realized), so I'd really like to make up for it. Not that I really mind; I think I got a pretty good deal at any rate.

janey
Jul 19, 2003, 05:33 PM
i'm pretty sure all the apple stores do a walk in walk out deal...but call to check.
all you need is your ID and the cash, it'll probably take 5 more minutes than it normally would, only because you have to spend time filling out the paperwork thing.

Abstract
Jul 19, 2003, 06:11 PM
Damn, no new discounts in Canada. I guess I can still save 4% on a 12" iBook when I get it. :(

Rower_CPU
Jul 19, 2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by CCStandUpFan
Taken from the Apple Store for Education agreement page: Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30): Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year.

Buy now and you cannot buy again at the student rate for more than 11 months. It's not hard evidence, but it makes me think updates are not going to be massively delayed (although what is that anyway, I don't set Apple's release dates, Steve does) from the popular "6-month-cycle" expectations.

Maybe this pricing scheme is the middle road to keep the inventory moving and appease the group who would take a lower price over a better machine.

Regardless of when they are updated, if the 12" doesn't have a 1Ghz chip and a 2x Superdrive, then the wait will have been for nothing.

1st post -- thanks for a great site

As far as I've known, Apple has always had a 1 year policy for EDU purchases, most likely to prevent people from buying computers for friends/family on their discount.

I wouldn't read too much into it...;)

jason
Jul 19, 2003, 06:14 PM
I called the apple store in this area (Buffalo, NY), they offered the new lower educational pricing. Student ID and drivers license is required though.

What kindof paperwork do you need to fill out? I have never purchased through the educational program before.

Phil Of Mac
Jul 19, 2003, 06:34 PM
Sweet! It used to be a flat-rate $100 on all computers (before that, it was a $50 discount) but now discounts are running in the $200-300 range! Woohoo!

CCStandUpFan
Jul 19, 2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
As far as I've known, Apple has always had a 1 year policy for EDU purchases, most likely to prevent people from buying computers for friends/family on their discount.

I wouldn't read too much into it...;)

No doubt about the policy being long-standing, nor the reasoning behind it. My point is about how early in the one-year window these price drops were announced. Buy a model that is "due for an update" and you won't be able to buy the updated model for a discount. The requirement to pay full price for the computer you wanted all along is what I want to underline.

Depending on how much it means to Apple, we may see the new PowerBooks released after the return window closes on the post-discount buyers, say in six weeks -- admittedly, this is reaching.

redfruitbowl
Jul 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know about returning a powerbook purchased within one month of a new release? I read it on one of the posts, and am wondering if anyone can fascilitate this? I just bought a 17", maybe 12 days ago, and am thinking about selling it for a new 15. Or you know, if this scam works, I'll try to pull that. I checked the Apple site but it says nothing.

BenRoethig
Jul 19, 2003, 06:44 PM
They didn't drop the prices on the iBooks though. Good news on that 12" G4 for 1399. I might end up buying that instead of the iBook.

urbanist
Jul 19, 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
The prices in the UK havn't changed? What gives?

NEITHER in CANADA!!

this is kililng meeee softly

bystem
Jul 19, 2003, 07:11 PM
No changes in the Australian prices on any models.

Although, we all ready receive a 5 to 10 per cent discount on hardware. 15 per cent would be nice. Those extra few dollars go along way for students and schools.

Nebrie
Jul 19, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Hm... are they acually begining to understand that schools need a little more off then a small percent, this is a start, but it still should be ALOT higher, apple has the highest profit ratio of any computer company.

In that case, you'll want to ask your teacher the difference between gross margin and net margin. It's not called profit ratio.

crenz
Jul 19, 2003, 07:23 PM
Well, the German Education Store doesn't seem to have higher rebates than before. I checked out the PowerMac 64 Single 1.25 GHz Combo Drive: If I pay regular price at the Apple reseller near my house, I save €50. As a student, I get another €100 as a voucher for future shopping -- so I actually save €150 on Apple's education price...

For Germany, I don't see the point of buying computers directly from Apple at all. The resellers are much cheaper. Plus, they even have their own 3-year warranty that is cheaper than AppleCare.

vniow
Jul 19, 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by DGFan
Considering that some schools are just $50 a credit hour - if you're going to buy a dual 2Ghz G5 why not sign up for a 3 credit class someplace? You can probably save some $$$$

Hee hee, gotta love those Cali junior colleges..http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466

actripxl
Jul 19, 2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

raschild
Jul 19, 2003, 08:48 PM
Hmm....what to buy, what to buy?? :D

MacBoy88
Jul 19, 2003, 08:56 PM
If Apple gives the same discount as Jaguar, PANTHER will only be $69 !!!

MattG
Jul 19, 2003, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't read too much into it...

I don't know for sure if this is valid, but I've read that Apple often times lets you get away with buying one desktop and one laptop with edu pricing in the same year. I've never tried it. I would have, because I was going to buy one of the 15" Aluminum Powerbooks that were supposed to have been introduced last month...:) But now it's July, so I don't have to worry about going over the 1-per-year limit.

janey
Jul 19, 2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by jason
What kindof paperwork do you need to fill out? I have never purchased through the educational program before.
it's one piece of paper where it asks you for your name, address and so on so they can make sure you're a student. not that big of a deal :)

Rower_CPU
Jul 19, 2003, 10:05 PM
OK, let's clear this whole 1 year thing up...for some reason I was mistakenly thinking 12 month period rather than academic year.

From Apple EDU terms page (when selecting institution):
Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):
Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
Printers - One per year
Displays - Two per year
Software - Two per year

Buying more than one system but of different types (i.e. PowerMac + PowerBook) per year is a definite gray area. Personally, I'd interpret it that way, but Apple may not.

Since we just started a new academic year, it makes perfect sense for them in put into place a new discount scheme.

bwawn
Jul 19, 2003, 10:09 PM

I'm just curious... where do you live?

I attend a junior college in Northern California, and it is currently $11/unit (credit hour). They are considering raising the tuition because of California's budget crisis, and nowhere beyond $16/unit.

I'm assuming it's not a junior college you speak of when you say $50/unit?

Rower_CPU
Jul 19, 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by bwawn

I attend a junior college in Northern California, and it is currently $11/unit (credit hour). They are considering raising the tuition because of California's budget crisis, and nowhere beyond $16/unit.

Sounds like COS or Shasta...or are you not that far North?

<-- Born in Yreka, CA. :)

Vlade
Jul 19, 2003, 10:18 PM
Who are the 22 idiots who voted negative on this thread? I may be able to talk my brother into a dual 2.0 now :)

tazo
Jul 19, 2003, 10:35 PM
I hope they keep these prices around for a while, then when I am ready to finally buy a mac notebook i can get my mom to pay, and save like 200 dollars :)

Groovsonic
Jul 19, 2003, 10:45 PM
Hey!
I just bought my new iBook 12 900 at the new apple store in downtown Chicago this afternoon, and they only gave me $50 off, but I get home and see that I should have gotten $100 off. I definitely will be asking for the diffrence back.

But I do like my new iBook!!!
And it even runs fine with the preinstalled 128M, but I will be buying more...cause anything worth doing is worth overdoing. (freddy mercury it think.)

RichP
Jul 19, 2003, 11:37 PM
hmm..300 off the 17" im one step closer..now for apple to make that thing a bit faster..

also of note, I attend NYU,and they have a "computer shop"; when the 17" came out, they were selling it at $3149 (old educational discount) with FREE applecare! Some of you in larger institutions may want to check into this; granted, i would rather skip apple care and get even a deeper discount, but with apples strict pricing, you cant look a gift horse in the mouth.

Doctor Q
Jul 20, 2003, 01:43 AM
It just so happens that yesterday I was comparing standard iBook and PowerBook prices with education prices because I'm shopping for a portable for the start of school in September. I updated my chart with the new prices as of today:

G3 iBooks prices:

Size Speed..RAM HD CD....AP..Reg...Jul18 Jul19
---- ------ --- -- ----- --- ----- ----- -----
12.1 800MHz 128 30 CDROM.....$1000..$950..$950
12.1 900MHz 128 40 Combo.....$1300 $1250 $1200
14.1 900MHz 256 40 Combo.....$1500 $1450 $1400
14.1 900MHz 640 60 Combo.AP..$1780 $1715 $1650

G4 PowerBook prices:

Size Speed..RAM HD CD....AP..Reg...Jul18 Jul19
---- ------ --- -- ----- --- ----- ----- -----
12...867MHz 256 40 Combo.....$1600 $1500 $1400
12...867MHz 256 40 Super.....$1800 $1700 $1600
15...867MHz 256 40 Combo.....$2000 $1900 $1800
15.....1GHz 512 60 Super.AP..$2600 $2450 $2300
17.....1GHz 512 60 Super.APE.$3300 $3150 $3000

Legend:
Size..= screen size (inches)
Speed.= processor speed
RAM...= memory (MB)
HD....= hard disk (GB)
CD....= CD-ROM, Combo, or Super drive
AP....= Airport (AP) or Airport Extreme (APE)
Reg...= regular price
Jul18.= education price July 18, 2003
Jul19.= education price July 19, 2003

Aqua OS X
Jul 20, 2003, 02:09 AM
Much better, last time I bought a mac through my school I saved a whole $80bucks off of a $2500 Mac. Whopity do da.

Abstract
Jul 20, 2003, 02:12 AM
If I am from Canada, and I travelled to Buffalo, New York, and showed someone at the Apple Store my Student ID card, do you think I could get the discount? And if I can, what type of paperwork do I have to fill in? :confused:

AndrewMT
Jul 20, 2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
If I am from Canada, and I travelled to Buffalo, New York, and showed someone at the Apple Store my Student ID card, do you think I could get the discount? And if I can, what type of paperwork do I have to fill in?

You have to show them a driver's license (or other I.D.)and proof of college enrollment (if you are getting the college discount). There is a brief one-page form that will ask for your location.

cavemanstudios
Jul 20, 2003, 05:41 AM
These new low prices are awsome! But, does anyone know more info on how the Apple Education Loan works? The monthly price the site generates is really low and does not give a number of months. It also discusses first 24-month interest only payments. Can anyone provide insite into what this means in the end?

Thanks

Lyle
Jul 20, 2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by redfruitbowl
Does anyone know about returning a powerbook purchased within one month of a new release? I read it on one of the posts, and am wondering if anyone can fascilitate this? I just bought a 17", maybe 12 days ago, and am thinking about selling it for a new 15. Or you know, if this scam works, I'll try to pull that. I checked the Apple site but it says nothing. I have seen references to this apocryphal policy too. Although it may have been Apple policy at one time, I can't find any evidence that it is now. The closest thing I could find is a clause in their Sales and Refuns Policy (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html) that talks about the ten day window to return your newly purchased computer if you're "dissatisfied" with it, but even that is a stretch.

DGFan
Jul 20, 2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by bwawn

LOL
Maybe that's why Cali is having budget troubles! That's basically free school.
:)
Maybe governor Ahnuld will make you guys pay real money for your college education! Raising it to $16 is a joke! That will solve 0.001% of your crisis!

I live in Michigan. The schools I checked out where Lansing Comm. College and Oakland Comm. College. They are subsidized. To get the $54 per credit hour rate you have to live very close (so you pay property taxes to the school). Otherwise it's over $80 per credit hour.

Larger schools here (Mich State, U of Mi) start around $300 per credit hour and go up from there depending on your year and the school you attend (ex. engineering is more expensive).

BenRoethig
Jul 20, 2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by cavemanstudios
These new low prices are awsome! But, does anyone know more info on how the Apple Education Loan works? The monthly price the site generates is really low and does not give a number of months. It also discusses first 24-month interest only payments. Can anyone provide insite into what this means in the end?

Thanks

The first 24 months are interest only at a rate between 10% and 25% interest. You won't know what your payments will be until you apply for the loan. After the 24 months, it becomes a normal Apple loan.

zkmusa
Jul 20, 2003, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know if we can use the Buy a Bundle rebate at a physical Apple retail store? I read the terms and conditions of the offer, and this is what it says:

"Products must be purchased from the Apple Store for Education Individuals or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Reseller in the 50 United States of District of Columbia"

So does the Apple Retail Store fall into one of these categories?

DGFan
Jul 20, 2003, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know if we can use the Buy a Bundle rebate at a physical Apple retail store? I read the terms and conditions of the offer, and this is what it says:

"Products must be purchased from the Apple Store for Education Individuals or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Reseller in the 50 United States of District of Columbia"

So does the Apple Retail Store fall into one of these categories?

I wouldn't count on it. But considering that each Apple Store also has a telephone there's a really easy way to find out.....

gahruev
Jul 20, 2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Cool. They could have been insanly mean and not given the price drop to all previously made orders. But then again you could always cancel your order and remake it.

Good move Apple.

---> No Need to cancel the order and redo it. Apple Sales Support will generally refund the difference on orders placed within two weeks of a price drop if you ordered directly from Apple. Call them and see what they say. It never hurts to ask, anyway, right? :rolleyes:

gahruev
Jul 20, 2003, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't count on it. But considering that each Apple Store also has a telephone there's a really easy way to find out.....
Actually, you can get the bundle from either ordering on-line, via phone directly to Apple Sales and/or at an Apple Retail Store. :D

zkmusa
Jul 20, 2003, 11:53 AM

Haha, thanks DGFan. I would have called, but the store is currently closed (before noon on a Sunday).

Thanks for your help gahruev! I think I'm going to go give in and buy my Powerbook 12" today! :)

Aoide
Jul 20, 2003, 12:44 PM

Thanks
The monthly price the site is generating is for the 24 month interest only payments. The total loan is for 48 months.... so 24 months interest only and 24 months... regular loan.
You can apply for the loan and if you aren't sure have them switch you to a regular loan as long as you do it before you make your first payment.
I broke Friday night and bought the 12". I asked the same questions and these are the answers that I got from the loan verification lady. The info above is what she told me, but also that I could call Monday morning and speak to the regular loan people. (It's not Monday yet!!! I'm ready for my new purchases to start shipping!!! Never order on a Friday... The weekend takes forever!!:D )
Playing with my calculator it looks like I might stick with the Educational Loan. I have good credit and I paid off my last computer in 3 years instead of 5. No penalties for early payment.:)

mproud
Jul 20, 2003, 01:07 PM
Why the hell would anyone vote this as negative? What? Is some good news not good enough? What the hell? This is excellent.

The only bad thing I could think of is perhaps Apple won't make as much money off each machine... but on the same token, it will also interest new buyers.

What's up with those 27 people?? Eh, for all we know, it's probably just one guy without a life who worships Microsoft and jumps to different computers or cleans his cache and clicks on it repeatedly.

paulypants
Jul 20, 2003, 01:33 PM
i bought a powermac in january of this year and an ibook in april--got the discount on both no problems--if you order from the store online or call the 1-800 number you don't need to supply proof that you are a student--they just take your word for it:D

jason
Jul 20, 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
If I am from Canada, and I travelled to Buffalo, New York, and showed someone at the Apple Store my Student ID card, do you think I could get the discount? And if I can, what type of paperwork do I have to fill in? :confused:

Last night I called about the educational prcing at the Buffalo Apple Store (Walden Galleria, (716) 685-2762), they told me there is no paperwork required. However, you will need 2 forms of ID, one form of ID needs to link to a school (i.e., student ID, transcripts, fall class schedule, enrollment letter, etc.). The discount only applies to hardware.

voicegy
Jul 20, 2003, 01:40 PM
Only reason I can see anyone voting negative on this posts' great news is that they're probably PC trolls.;)

This is wonderful news, especially for me. I'm the lone "Apple" enthusiast and supporter in my school districts' IT department, and I make purchasing decisions/recommendations, among other things, for the district and our schools. Just another reason (cheaper prices!) to keep our already 70% Macintosh base of machines at 70%...or higher!:D

Abstract
Jul 20, 2003, 06:59 PM
@Jason: Thanks for the heads up. It may be worth it for me to travel to Buffalo to check it out now. ;)

Power4
Jul 20, 2003, 10:03 PM
I ordered an iBook via the phone using my education discount the day before Apple changed their education pricing. I've read people who ordered G5s prices have already been changed so do you think my price has changed accordingly too? I'll call Apple during the week to find out, but I'm curious now.

MattG
Jul 21, 2003, 11:13 AM
The discount only applies to hardware.

Not necessarily so -- when Jaguar came out, I ordered it with my educational discount. Came to $69!

MacManDan
Jul 21, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Power4
I ordered an iBook via the phone using my education discount the day before Apple changed their education pricing. I've read people who ordered G5s prices have already been changed so do you think my price has changed accordingly too? I'll call Apple during the week to find out, but I'm curious now.

If the price on your invoice isn't dropped automatically, call them. I ordered AppleCare for my PowerBook before this price drop, and even though I had received it already, Apple gave me $100 back on my credit card just for calling them up and addressing the issue. (see my earlier post in this thread about the matter). It never hurts to try! :D

HuRR
Jul 21, 2003, 11:41 AM
How does this educational discount work. Cause i'm a student at a school, if I purchase a comp does my school see that I purchased one or how does it work . Please Enlighten me

Aoide
Jul 21, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Power4

I ordered my powerbook on Friday and received an email today (Monday) that they were applying the new pricing to my order. I'm sure they will do the same for you, but it never hurts to call.

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HuRR
How does this educational discount work. Cause i'm a student at a school, if I purchase a comp does my school see that I purchased one or how does it work . Please Enlighten me You can buy at the online Apple Store, at a brick-and-mortar Apple Store, or, if you go to a college or university, your college or university's own store. Online, you will be asked to verify that you are a student by clicking an "I agree" button. In person, you will probably be asked to show evidence of enrollment.

Edit: I should have mentioned that the handling of educational sales varies from one Apple store to the next. I've been told that some do a simple check for student ID, but I've also been told by one Apple store that they didn't yet handle education sales. It would be best to phone and ask your local store.

HuRR
Jul 21, 2003, 12:18 PM
Let's say i got to high school heh, the same discounts still apply correct.

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2003, 12:40 PM
Let's say i got to high school heh, the same discounts still apply correct. Yes. Apple gives discounts to K-12 students, higher-education students, and those who work for these schools. So even a kindergarten student should qualify. I wonder how many pre-school toddlers are itching to get into kindergarten so they can get a discount on a PowerMac G5?

jason
Jul 21, 2003, 12:44 PM
Let's say i got to high school heh, the same discounts still apply correct.

There doesn't seem to be any mention in the FAQ about high school students. Look at the following FAQ:

Who is eligible to purchase?
K-12 Education
Any employee of a K-12 institution in the United States is eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education Individuals. School board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible. Qualified homeschools are also eligible.

Higher Education
Any individual student enrolled in a course of study leading to a degree or certification in a public or private Higher Education Institution is eligible to purchase. In addition, any individual who has been accepted by a public or private Higher Education Institution and who has responded by stating his or her intent to enroll in the institution is eligible to purchase. Any faculty member of a public or private Higher Education institution and any staff member who is directly associated with the Institution’s academic mission and is not temporary, employed as a contractor, or acting as a consultant on behalf of the Institution is eligible to purchase.

Apple reserves the right to verify eligibility.

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2003, 12:53 PM
I seem to be wrong and jason seems to be right. I'm checking this out more carefully.

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2003, 01:05 PM
I was wrong and I apologize. I misread Apple's statement that "K-12 educators and Higher Education faculty, staff, and students can now purchase computers for personal use at Apple’s published prices for education institutions." I didn't notice that the word "educators" implies that K-12 students are not included. That also means that non-faculty K-12 staff are not included either. That's too bad.

Apple also says "PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible." The elementary school in my neighborhood has about 20 elected PTA officers, everything from President down to Hospitality Chairperson. So if your mom or dad takes a PTA position, he/she may be eligible to buy at discounted prices for your family.

Skaught
Jul 21, 2003, 03:53 PM
Apple online orders charge tax on sales to states where they have a physical presence, correct? The have an Apple Store in Tampa. So that kinda hurts the discount a little...

$2699 + 7% tax = $2,888

Since I was planning on buying from anothe rvendor who wouldn't charge tax - and who likely would be throwing in a free printer or extra memory or the like - am I really saving that much?

Scott

BenRoethig
Jul 21, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Skaught
Apple online orders charge tax on sales to states where they have a physical presence, correct? The have an Apple Store in Tampa. So that kinda hurts the discount a little...

$2699 + 7% tax = $2,888

Since I was planning on buying from anothe rvendor who wouldn't charge tax - and who likely would be throwing in a free printer or extra memory or the like - am I really saving that much?

Scott

Good thing they don't have a store in Iowa yet.:D

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2003, 05:58 PM
Since I was planning on buying from another vendor who wouldn't charge tax - and who likely would be throwing in a free printer or extra memory or the like - am I really saving that much?No. Sometimes the education discount doesn't match the best deals elsewhere. However, as I understand it, when you don't pay sales tax to an out-of-state vendor, you are supposed to pay your own state the sales tax yourself. (The exception, that you are buying it for resale, and will later collect sales tax on behalf of the state when you sell it, doesn't apply to education sales, since items purchased with the education discount are for personal use only.) Of course, enforcement of sales tax laws for personal out-of-state purchases is virtually nonexistant.

Skaught
Jul 22, 2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
as I understand it, when you don't pay sales tax to an out-of-state vendor, you are supposed to pay your own state the sales tax yourself.

I've never heard that before in my life. You'd think the state would mention it if it were true. It's often a benefit promoted by companys, so I'd be surprised to hear this validated.

Scott

cavemanstudios
Jul 22, 2003, 09:15 AM
I've never heard that before in my life. You'd think the state would mention it if it were true. It's often a benefit promoted by companys, so I'd be surprised to hear this validated.

Scott

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that this is some of what our government is working on right now. That is that the current laws were written before much of this technology was available so it is somewhat unclear how these purchases are to be handled. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of tax laws can comment, I am by no means an expert in this area. I just know that I have read a lot about new laws to deal with the implications of technology in our world today.

ftaok
Jul 22, 2003, 09:33 AM
Maybe I am wrong, but I think that this is some of what our government is working on right now. That is that the current laws were written before much of this technology was available so it is somewhat unclear how these purchases are to be handled. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of tax laws can comment, I am by no means an expert in this area. I just know that I have read a lot about new laws to deal with the implications of technology in our world today. This is quite true. Most (if not all states) have what is called a "use tax". It's collected when you file your state tax return. This prevents people from flocking to a state with no sales tax. Of course, no one ever voluntarily pays it.

Skaught
Jul 22, 2003, 10:13 PM
Huh...my state (Florida) does indeed charge "use tax". I've never heard of it. They certainly don't put forth any effort to collect it or educate people about it. Here's what I found on it:

Use Tax
Unless specifically exempt, merchandise purchased out of state is subject to tax when brought into Florida within 6 months of the purchase date. This "use tax," as it is commonly called, is also assessed at the rate of 6 percent. Examples of such taxable purchases include purchases made by mail order or the Internet, furniture delivered from dealers located in another state, and computer equipment delivered by common carrier. Items purchased and used in another state for 6 months or longer are not subject to use tax when the items are later brought into Florida. No tax is due if the out-of-state dealer charged sales tax of 6 percent or more. If the dealer charged less than 6 percent, you must pay the difference to equal 6 percent. For example, if the dealer charged 4 percent, you must pay the additional 2 percent to Florida. Complete an Out-of-State Purchase Return (Form DR-15MO) to file and pay use tax. If the tax owed is less than $1.00, you do not have to file.

Well, if they don't care enough about it to tell us, they must not really want it. At least that's what I'm going with!

Scott