PDA

View Full Version : G4 CPU Upgrade advice

Ryan T.
Jul 8, 2007, 05:46 PM
I have a 500MHz G4 tower. 100MHz bus speed, and doesn't support Duals. I have it configured with 2GB (4x512) of PC133 RAM and a 32MB nVidia GeForce card that supports quartz extreme. Ideally I'd like to add a card with core image, but that's a bit pricey for the moment.

I'll be adding a PCI ATA controller card soon to help my disk performance.

However, the one thing still completely limiting the computer I think is the CPU. I've been research upgrades, and I think I have it narrowed down to a couple, and I'd hoped someone would have an opinion...

1) 1GHz Sonnet SG4-1800 with 2MB L3 cache...about $170

2) PowerLogix PowerForce47 1.4GHz CPU, no L3 cache...$170

3) GigaDesigns 7A-1800U 1.8GHz, no L3 Cache...about $230

4) Sonnet SG4-1600 1.6GHz, no L3 cache...about $215

Those are my main targets...if you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Either way, your advice would be invaluable.

I want a quick machine, but I have a MBP Core 2 Duo as my main every day machine. This will be used mostly for lighter work, but I need it to feel nimble and responsive (the ATA controller should help this too, right?).

Macmadant
Jul 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'd definitely consider the one with the 2MB L3 cache as i think it's quite important, your doubling your speed and no doubt your L3 cache,

disconap
Jul 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, go for the 1.0 (or if you can find one of the 1.3gHz w/ the L3 cache, go with that). Otherwise, go for the 1.8 or even a 2.0. Personally, I'm a big believer in the L3 cache with the Sawtooth because of the bus speed, but really any of the ones I mentioned will result in a much faster computer.

Also, maxxing out the ram was a smart move, when you upgrade to any of those you will notice a large difference in performance.

spinne1
Jul 10, 2007, 11:32 PM
Personally, I would put a 1.4 ghz with the 2mb cache in it. The exact model in my computer right now is this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEG42M1400/

It has worked flawlessly and is brand new for $239. The difference is night and day from without it to having it. For example, picture preview thumbnails use to take time to load as I opened a picture folder. Not anymore. It pops the whole page up almost instantly. I am very happy with it.

Ryan T.
Jul 25, 2007, 10:49 AM
Personally, I would put a 1.4 ghz with the 2mb cache in it. The exact model in my computer right now is this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEG42M1400/

It has worked flawlessly and is brand new for $239. The difference is night and day from without it to having it. For example, picture preview thumbnails use to take time to load as I opened a picture folder. Not anymore. It pops the whole page up almost instantly. I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the tip, I ended up going with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290141963027

Now, would a Radeon 9800 be a good addition to this? I currently have a 32MB quartz-enabled GeForce card.

If so, is a flashed card from eBay alright? Anything to be aware of?

Thanks for the tips...

MacBass
Jul 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
I once toyed with the idea of updating my Digital Audio, but I think I'll just buy a mini.

spinne1
Jul 25, 2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the tip, I ended up going with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290141963027

Now, would a Radeon 9800 be a good addition to this? I currently have a 32MB quartz-enabled GeForce card.

If so, is a flashed card from eBay alright? Anything to be aware of?

Thanks for the tips...

Yes, a 9800 would be nice (I have one and it is nice). That said, it only comes in handy when I am playing games or viewing video content. For basic uses, it really doesn't make much difference. I don't render video, and I don't play that many games. But it is nice to have clean video.

I personally would not do a flashed card. Why? What if it does not work. How will you enforce your deal with the seller? I would hold off on any card upgrade until you use the computer for a while and see if it really needs it. For most uses, your card is fine.

Ryan T.
Jul 26, 2007, 07:40 AM
Yes, a 9800 would be nice (I have one and it is nice). That said, it only comes in handy when I am playing games or viewing video content. For basic uses, it really doesn't make much difference. I don't render video, and I don't play that many games. But it is nice to have clean video.

I personally would not do a flashed card. Why? What if it does not work. How will you enforce your deal with the seller? I would hold off on any card upgrade until you use the computer for a while and see if it really needs it. For most uses, your card is fine.

Thanks for the advice. The CPU is arriving today, so I'll definitely give it a test spin before ordering any other car. Appreciate it.

disconap
Jul 26, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I'd be worried about buying a flashed card from a stranger; however, flashing a card yourself, if you have a windows PC laying around, is worth it, as you can get some pretty decent flashable cards for cheap as hell at NewEgg...