Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodge407

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2003
USA Orginally UK
Ok so I am buying my first laptop around Christmas time (yeah I know its a little early) and I was looking at the 12 inch Combo ibooks however for a $100 more I could get a 12 inch Combo powerbook for a total of $1579.00 (using the educational discount) excluding tax

Here's the spec:

• 867MHz PowerPC G4
• 640MB DDR266 (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• 12.1-inch TFT Display

So do you think its worth the price? They might even come down more than that before christmas. Well we can hope anyway :)

Appreciate your thoughts

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i think by Christmas the 12" PowerBook will be up to or above 1ghz for the same or cheaper price. Apple tend to keep prices the same while increasing the specs. i think the educational discount is a great deal and if you like the PowerBook better than go for it. just over a week after i bought my 12" PowerBook the price dropped by $200. lame.

Parsa

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Educational price drop

The price dropped again for eduacators and students. The 12" PowerBook is now $1399. Don't forget that educational iPod rebate for $200.

By the RAM online from another vendor and install it. It will usually be much cheaper than Apple.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Yes, definitely do not buy Ram at Apple. But definitely do buy the ram....just not at Apple. :) They rip you off so badly. But get it somewhere. Other than that, you are good to go. It is a great machine and you will love it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Go for it. ;) With the new educational discount prices announced yesterday, the 12" iBook and PB are very very closely priced, and so the iBook shouldn't even be a consideration unless you're very rough and need something sturdier. I think the iBook is sturdier and better suited to student life, but that may just be me.

But the 12" PB is such a great deal with the educational discount right now. :eek:

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
The price is good. I can stand behind the price of 12" considering its speed. Something I can't say about 17".
But I personally find it abit tough to work for a long time on such a small laptop. My personal preferrence is 14"1 screen or 15.4" top.
I feel that 900Mhz G3 iBook can be a very good laptop, depending on what you will do, iBook can be even faster than 12" Powerbook. If Altivec unit is not used for a specific program, Ibook can actually perform faster. Battery life is longer, screen size is great 14"1, and price is little less than 12" PB.
I don't know, but personally, I'd look at iBook first if money is an issue, if not, 15" is my choice. Although I wouldn't get it before it gets upgraded.
If screen size doesn't matter for you or you are looking for ultimate mobility laptop, then yes, your current choice is good.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Re: Educational price drop

Originally posted by Parsa
By the RAM online from another vendor and install it. It will usually be much cheaper than Apple.

Nope, not for the powerbook 12"

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Jodge407
Buying the RAM off some other retailer is good but I have no idea how to install it.

It should be in the manual you get with the powerbook. Don't worry about it. Takes about 10 minutes to do for people who have never seen a laptop before. Just make sure you get the correct memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.