PDA

View Full Version : A match made in heaven

wdlove
Jul 19, 2003, 06:36 PM
A Russian cosmonaut aboard the International Space station, Russian Yuri Malenchenko is planning to marry on August 16th. His finance' Ekaterina Dmitriev will remain firmly on the ground. The license was obtained last week. Texas law permits that one person getting married can be absent. She has got cold feet because of all the publicity. This will be the first marriage in space! :cool:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/07/18/station.marriage.ap/index.html

Doctor Q
Jul 19, 2003, 07:22 PM
This news story brought to mind the ending scene of the James Bond movie Moonraker, where 007 (Roger Moore) and Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) are floating together in their space pod just as "M" and my namesake "Q" establish audio-visual contact. Except they weren't married.

alia
Jul 20, 2003, 06:52 PM
Maybe this is TOO obvious, but... I don't see why they can't just wait until October when he gets back from space? August... October... it's not like he's going to be there for the next 5 years or something. It's only 2 months!

Sheesh. I may be too harsh on this subject - but this seems really stupid!

Alia

wdlove
Jul 20, 2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by alia
Maybe this is TOO obvious, but... I don't see why they can't just wait until October when he gets back from space? August... October... it's not like he's going to be there for the next 5 years or something. It's only 2 months!

Sheesh. I may be too harsh on this subject - but this seems really stupid!

Alia

Even though the bride is concerned about all of the publicity it's receiving, I think she will continue. If they would wait, then it would not be a historical event. I myself would be eager to be the first to do something. So I'm sure that plays a great part in the decision. This will be a great story for the grandchildren! ;)

eyelikeart
Jul 20, 2003, 09:01 PM
This will be quite a story to tell future family...he he.

It's also happening on my dad's birthday...and the day Elvis died... ;)

bennetsaysargh
Jul 20, 2003, 09:26 PM
that is so cool. i wanna be the first wedding on the moon!:D
i really do:p

Mr. Anderson
Jul 20, 2003, 09:29 PM
This to me is more of a publicity stunt. Its quite silly not having the both of them together.

Now the first marriage in space (with the bride, the groom and priest all in the same capsule) will be quite cool. :D

D

MrMacMan
Jul 20, 2003, 09:58 PM
That would be cool, I wonder if they can use the video feed working. :p

bennetsaysargh
Jul 20, 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
That would be cool, I wonder if they can use the video feed working. :p

this would be a great plug for iChat AV:p

wdlove
Jul 21, 2003, 10:58 AM
At least they already have live AV feed from space. So the couple will be together more than just in spirit. I think that it's going to be romantic, looking forward to the event. Wonder if it will be available to the public? I certainly hope that with such a historic event that it will be on TV in some form!

Lyle
Jul 21, 2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by alia

Sheesh. I may be too harsh on this subject - but this seems really stupid!No, you're not being too harsh. Of course it's stupid, but I guess it's just par for the course with popular culture's efforts to make a joke out of marriage (cf Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire et al).

MrMacMan
Jul 21, 2003, 11:53 AM
Well I guess if they want to claim one of the partners war married in space this would set the record.