PDA

View Full Version : [PS3] Socom looks horrible...

Haoshiro
Jul 9, 2007, 08:52 AM
Take a look:

- Screenshot #1 (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/802/802013/pre-e3-2007-socom-confrontation-screens-20070706021732157.jpg)
- Screenshot #2 (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/802/802013/pre-e3-2007-socom-confrontation-screens-20070706021737220.jpg)

Is this even competing with GRAW?

This would make me worried about Killzone 2, if they haven't shown some nicer things on PS3 (like Drake).

Shouldn't they be giving SOCOM more love? I thought this was one of their top online exclusives? :confused:

zap2
Jul 9, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm willing to say, these will be improved. Are these Alpha, Beta shots? I don't think the game will look similar to this for release.

Still not the best start.

2nyRiggz
Jul 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
Oh come on fella...I would of thought you would know this is a 7 month old game...this will improve. I think they only produce these pictures to show the little time it took to get this with the edge thingy.

Note: I'm not impressed with the screen shots but I am impressed with the little time it took to get there.

Bless

Haoshiro
Jul 9, 2007, 09:16 AM
Actually, no, this is my first look at Socom... I have no idea how long it's been in dev or when it will be released.

I was just surprised by my first look... why a developer would ever release screenshots like this is beyond me.

Dagless
Jul 9, 2007, 11:17 AM
Glad to see that £430 investment bringing us realistic visuals.

AppleGuy08
Jul 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
Oh wow, i hope they improve that. Ive been a huge Socom fan ever since the first socom came out. Combined Assault and Socom 3 were by far the best made. I just want them to come out with a version that has ALL of the maps they have ever created, no more of this buying map pack BS. I want frostfire, xroads, vigilance and all of em'!

michaelltd
Jul 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
If it plays well and is fun, then I wouldn't mind if the final version looked like that.

Gee
Jul 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
Oh wow, i hope they improve that. Ive been a huge Socom fan ever since the first socom came out. Combined Assault and Socom 3 were by far the best made. I just want them to come out with a version that has ALL of the maps they have ever created, no more of this buying map pack BS. I want frostfire, xroads, vigilance and all of em'!

And Abandoned in daylight.

GFLPraxis
Jul 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
How early are these shots? The level is blocky enough that it makes me wonder if that's just a test map thrown together to test out the game engine. The character models look much more detailed than the environment (which looks PS2/GC/XBox quality).

wwooden
Jul 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
Are these screen shots from a PSP? ;).

Haoshiro
Jul 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
How early are these shots? The level is blocky enough that it makes me wonder if that's just a test map thrown together to test out the game engine. The character models look much more detailed than the environment (which looks PS2/GC/XBox quality).

I'm not sure, but after posting this I started catching up on podcasts... listening to 1Up Yours 6/29/2007, and there is a section talking about how people have been complaining about lack of SOCOM coverage.

They mentioned that it just doesn't look good, and any articles on it have been pretty unpopular. They seemed to think that was because the media they've received for it has been so bad.

Anyway, interesting podcast, was surprised they talked about some I just posted about, lol.

2nyRiggz
Jul 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
If it plays well and is fun, then I wouldn't mind if the final version looked like that.

I don't know about all of that but they still got all the time in the world to polish the game(the game doesn't look finish at all & it isn't) so I'm sure this title will be improve before it goes gold.

If they implement a cover system in SOCOM I would get this game on day 1.

Bless

zero2dash
Jul 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
If they implement a cover system in SOCOM I would get this game on day 1.

You are on R6V all the time. ;)
Man I need to pick that up for the 360...:D

seenew
Jul 10, 2007, 12:16 AM
doesn't look so bad to me, just a bit empty or barren...

2nyRiggz
Jul 10, 2007, 01:08 AM
You are on R6V all the time. ;)
Man I need to pick that up for the 360...:D

It's the only XBL game I play on the regular...the game is super awesome plus the red/black map back is sooo coool...I can't stop playing R6V.

I spend a lot of time cussing at the screen though :)

Bless

e≤Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 01:15 AM
It's the only XBL game I play on the regular...the game is super awesome plus the red/black map back is sooo coool...I can't stop playing R6V.

I spend a lot of time cussing at the screen though :)

Bless

He is too afraid to buy it for the PS3 as he doesnt wanna get pwnt in two games by the same person ;) :D :p

Soulstorm
Jul 10, 2007, 01:18 AM
Things will definitely be improved. Look at the character models. They implement a much higher shader system than the rest of the environment and this won't be the case. This is definitely a test map designed to test the gameplay mechanics, and possible the physics engine. When shaders and more stuff like barrels and random things like little rocks are implemented, then you will be able to see the good graphics you hope for.

MacRumorUser
Jul 10, 2007, 04:24 AM
So basically things they have to do.

Add some bloom, HDR and self shadowing
Add particle effects
Add geometric detail as it all is very basic at the moment
Improve texture detail dramatically - some of those textures arent fit for an N64

So basically everything....

Why on earth did they even show it at it's current stage. If GRAW2 when it finally hits PS3 doesnt look as good as the 360 version I'll scream, and with many months development time ahead, this should look better than Ubisofts war effort.

juanster
Jul 26, 2007, 02:24 AM
haha i feel like such an untrained eyed idiot, it looks good to me....:eek:

Coded-Dude
Jul 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
I could give a @$#& what this game looks like, as I know the online gameplay is gonna kick some major ass.

Its scheduled to drop this fall, so they still have some time to "tighten up the graphics." :D

steamboat26
Jul 26, 2007, 01:46 PM
it looks very bland, barely better than the original GRAW
And Coded-Dude, nothing can compete with Live :cool:

Coded-Dude
Jul 26, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'll agree with you.......right now.
But thats about as pragmatic as saying: Rome will never fall. ;)

Steve Jobless
Jul 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
haha i feel like such an untrained eyed idiot, it looks good to me....:eek:

doesn't look so bad to me, just a bit empty or barren...

i agree

Dagless
Jul 26, 2007, 07:10 PM
Shadows seem okay, they don't "blur" as they're spread. Lack of shadows too (check the table)? That's a strange one.
Jaggied polygons, check the guys helmet.
Lack of texture detail. Makes it look like an upscaled PS2/P game. The stall is the biggest perpetrator.
No lighting effects? No bloom or HDR?

No doubt it'll get a huge graphical update. It needs it! Looks like Counterstrike Source (2004).

steamboat26
Jul 26, 2007, 08:16 PM
I'll agree with you.......right now.
But thats about as pragmatic as saying: Rome will never fall. ;)

True, but i think that the huge difference is really the fact that you must buy a subscription to get on live. What incentive does sony have to make a great online network, if they don't get any money directly from it (except PSN games)? They have no incentive to do anything above mediocre online play, whereas with XBL, if they do a crappy job, no one will buy XBL, and they don't make any money.
I personally have never played anything on PSN, but from what i have heard, nothing can match XBL.

sikkinixx
Jul 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
True, but i think that the huge difference is really the fact that you must buy a subscription to get on live. What incentive does sony have to make a great online network, if they don't get any money directly from it (except PSN games)? They have no incentive to do anything above mediocre online play, whereas with XBL, if they do a crappy job, no one will buy XBL, and they don't make any money.
I personally have never played anything on PSN, but from what i have heard, nothing can match XBL.

Because if PSN is really crappy a year or two down the road, its something that MS and xbox fanboys can continue to go "haha! XBL is amazing while PSN sucks!"

But PSN is at least good, if not great, then Sony can say "we have a good online service that is free".

All about how to persuade ignorant consumers to buy your product.

Dagless
Jul 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
They do get money, you pay for virtual clothes. Home will be a drain on your wallet - everything has a price there.

"I like your sofa"
"Thanks! It only cost me $30. Much cheaper than the £599 suite I have in real life"

2nyRiggz
Jul 26, 2007, 08:43 PM
Online play is very good...the content and seamless-ness of live is what makes the difference not the play.

I've played a lot of PSN enable/downloadable games that are just as fun or better(R:fom) with its mega 40 player match ups that never get boring.

Don't believe or coment on everything you hear without testing it out yourself....PSN online play goes without a hiccup..its the content that is missing.

"everything has a price there"

Thats just bogus....if you want "extras" that will cost you plus from what I heard games might give you free updates.

Bless

sikkinixx
Jul 26, 2007, 09:26 PM
They do get money, you pay for virtual clothes. Home will be a drain on your wallet - everything has a price there.

"I like your sofa"
"Thanks! It only cost me $30. Much cheaper than the £599 suite I have in real life"

then just don't buy it. Besides I'm not just talking about Home, it's the whole thing, online gameplay, the store etc. I know you would never ever give PSN a chance Jimmi since you hate Sony with every bone in your fanboy body but it's not THAT bad (XBL still reins supreme)

zap2
Jul 26, 2007, 09:48 PM
then just don't buy it. Besides I'm not just talking about Home, it's the whole thing, online gameplay, the store etc. I know you would never ever give PSN a chance Jimmi since you hate Sony with every bone in your fanboy body but it's not THAT bad (XBL still reins supreme)

I agree, PSN, is better then Wii's online...since you know Pokťmon Battle Revolution isn't a big range of choices.

Hopefully Nintendo and Sony can "bring the heat" to MS with online play

Coded-Dude
Jul 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
Leipzig and TGS just can't get here fast enough......PSN was born this gen and LIVE has been around almost as long as XBOX has. It should be a better service! ;) However, Sony still has much to reveal to the public, and while I don't expect them to be beating LIVE in every way/shape/form anytime soon(or for a while for that matter), i do think Sony is creative enough to "1up" a few of the features offered in LIVE. MY first guess would be media content. MS is a software giant and has way more experience in the online realm, but Sony has way more content to offer out of the gates. Other features will come(Phil is dying to tell us about "achievements" but is holding back), but I think that will be the first PSN feature to better LIVE.

*awaits all the responses about how downloading music/movies/other non game related content is a waste of time on consoles*

:p

as for Ninty....well, I agree with zap2 - they have the longest road to travel in order to garner any user notoriety.

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 06:06 AM

Cool, so you're going to be buying furniture for your virtual house? :D I don't buy crappy skins, I don't buy crappy anything from these online stores.
I suppose it's to be a fanboy to not mindlessly throw money at these companies?

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 09:41 AM
Regarding PSN, I think a lot of people are missing something important - Sony couldn't charge for PSN. No when their competitor (Live) is so far ahead and they have the higher price point on hardware.

They needed that "free network" bullet point to lure people in.

Don't sit there and think for a minute once they get enough PSN users they won't setup some sort of Pay subscription for it. The business people at Sony aren't going to let PSN sit in the red bleeding money without profit, you can count on that.

Starting free is just a starting strategy, what they had to do just to have something over on Live.

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
I suppose it's to be a fanboy to not mindlessly throw money at these companies?

how many gameboys do you have jimmi? :p j/k

Haoshiro, I do agree that Sony will most definitely roll out some sort of Premium Service for PSN. However, they have already stated the basic usage of PSN(games, etc.) will remain free. So if you want some of the features the will most certainly equal and/or better LIVE, you will more than likely be paying some sort of subscription. Although that doesn't encompass every feature on PSN, only some.

steamboat26
Jul 27, 2007, 12:32 PM

Haoshiro, I do agree that Sony will most definitely roll out some sort of Premium Service for PSN. However, they have already stated the basic usage of PSN(games, etc.) will remain free. So if you want some of the features the will most certainly equal and/or better LIVE, you will more than likely be paying some sort of subscription. Although that doesn't encompass every feature on PSN, only some.

So then it will be like XBL Silver and Gold. Silver you can't play games online, but you can download content, gold you can play games

And just how can sony improve upon the achievements system? There really isn't much to be improved in that area...

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
The "Silver" version of PS3 will be better than the "Silver" version of LIVE.
Free On-Line Play
Free Audio/Video Chat
Pretty much EVERYTHING is free.

The Premium, will just have some additional features that will cost money.
To compete with some of LIVE's "premium" services.

Soon enough Phil will let us all know how they can improve the achievement system.
(I can only guess/speculate)

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 02:14 PM

Almost as many times we've had to buy PS1's or send back 360's. Literally, too. :D

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
The "Silver" version of PS3 will be better than the "Silver" version of LIVE.
Free On-Line Play
Free Audio/Video Chat
Pretty much EVERYTHING is free.

The Premium, will just have some additional features that will cost money.
To compete with some of LIVE's "premium" services.

Soon enough Phil will let us all know how they can improve the achievement system.
(I can only guess/speculate)

All of that is speculation though, as you know.

It doesn't matter what Sony has said, it's all open for change regardless.

Their "Basic" package could end up allowing barely anything, or a lot. There really is no way to know. Could be you have to live in a different area of "Home" in your little flat, while Premium subscribers have a nice condo in a beautiful villa. There is just no way to know.

Heck, it could be that you have free access to play and download, but it's rate limited on non-priority servers (first come, first server bandwidth). Whereas Premium users get faster rates, dedicated speeds, and thus better network performance (because they are paying for it).

The truth is that a free network that *isn't* 100% P2P is extremely unlikely. P2P could work great with a large user base, but that is resting the stability and performance of your network on its users, which is cheap and not at all "solid".

We'll see, but there is only one thing on Sony's mind, and that's making money, just like nearly every business. "Free" doesn't make them money, so unless they compensate for that by making money off the network in some way, all PSN users will be looking at fees one day. Maybe they'll make enough on micro-transactions to keep things free/cheap.

Just don't expect a "free" service that is making little to no money to be a priority for any business - those things usually come with the attitude "shut up and stop complaining, you aren't paying for this anyway."

2nyRiggz
Jul 27, 2007, 03:47 PM
Just like what you are saying is speculation as well...it goes both ways. When the service improve and they decide to charge for it then whatever....I'm paying for live so I don't care really.

If PSN gear up to LIVE standards then by all means Sony...make that money or leave it free.

PSP online is free, I know its a different thing all together but it goes to show you some things can really be free;)

Bless

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
Negative......PS3 online will be free, period.

"We donít charge for the basic functions of the network like matching services. Things like that are taken for granted on a PC, arenít they? Thereís the feeling of why a game console gets to charge for a service thatís normal on a PC. So, we just made the basic services available, and based our business on the contents,"

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
Just like what you are saying is speculation as well...it goes both ways. When the service improve and they decide to charge for it then whatever....I'm paying for live so I don't care really.

If PSN gear up to LIVE standards then by all means Sony...make that money or leave it free.

PSP online is free, I know its a different thing all together but it goes to show you some things can really be free;)

Without a doubt, I'm speculating just as much.

That was the point, nobody can say definitively on this matter.

But, that said... some still do:

Negative......PS3 online will be free, period.

Quoting Sony? I'm not sure why you think something said by a business man or rep is something solid as a rock.

The quote only mentions matching specifically anyway, and then uses "basic" ambiguously. So it's rather pointless anyway.

It's all politics... and if a candidate promises tax cuts, that doesn't mean it'll ever happen. They just want elected - Sony wants your money (just like every company).

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
not just any man buddy....Ken Kutagari! :D

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 05:21 PM
not just any man buddy....Ken Kutagari! :D

LOL

Wasn't he replaced? ;)