Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanderer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Is there anyway to connect and use a a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver with the maps application on the iPhone. I tried with out success this weekend.\

Wanderer:confused:

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I fail to see the point. If you already have a portable GPS receiver, then use it for GPS ... :confused:

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
I fail to see the point. If you already have a portable GPS receiver, then use it for GPS ... :confused:

I believe the OP is discussing the bluetooth enabled pucks that are typically under $100. On most other smart phones you can use the serial port support in the bluetooth stack to get GPS data onto a phone that does not support it internally. - Most Treos are like this. The mappign utility then uses the GPS data via bluetooth to plot your position and the software can then do the turn by turn directions most people keep asking for. I personally am hoping that Apple will let us do this in a future software update.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
If they enabled BT GPS' to work with Google Maps, I'd be first in line to buy a GPS "puck" for my car. That would be a very sweet addition and very simple addition, not to mention one more way Apple and Google can work together.

I enjoy Google Maps as it is right now, being able to go further w/ them would be the ultimate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.