PDA

View Full Version : OS X Based iPods Soon?

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster (http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/07/09.1.shtml) belives that Apple will be focusing on OS X based iPods by Macworld San Francisco 2008.

Munster's belief is likely based on an otherwise overlooked comment by Steve Jobs (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/28/steve-jobs-free-iphones-for-apple-employees/) at Apple's Town Hall which revealed that Apple was working on OS X based iPods:
There is one OS group that does Mac OS X for the Mac and the iPhone, as well as "some iPods we're working on."
Apple uses a version OS X as the basis for the new iPhone, and many have expected a similar widescreen OS X based iPod to come from Apple since the introduction of the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/09/os-x-based-ipods-soon/)

tonyl
Jul 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
iPods with wifi, that's great.

rxse7en
Jul 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
Too many new items! iPhone, OSX iPod, what to buy, what to buy!?

applekid
Jul 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
Just give me an iPod without the phone features of the iPhone. That's all I want.

Squonk
Jul 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
OK, I'm ready to replace my 60GB iPod Photo with one of these! BRING IT!

Of course, I still want an iPhone too...:rolleyes:

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
Would be cool to have it as an iPhone minus the phone part. Music & Wi-Fi stuff would be cool. Add in a hard drive instead of flash (or both maybe) for lots of movies and that would be cool. I have an iPhone & it's AWESOME! Only problem is the cost.

Sandfleaz
Jul 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
I was kinda hoping for new iPods before Christmas ...oh well, just wait a little longer.

Finally got to play with an iPhone this weekend .... WAY COOL!

ts1973
Jul 9, 2007, 11:30 AM
iPods with an updated interface à la iphone is a logical next step. It will make iPods even better imho.

zap2
Jul 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
That has to be the next stop with the iPod, not much else it can do IMO

MattG
Jul 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
Nooo!! Not 2008! Now!!!

gugy
Jul 9, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'm really looking into these 6g widescreen ipods.
I love the iPhone but the low storage and AT&T are deal breakers for me.

Give me an iPod 6g 5" widescreen, touch-screen Ui, 120 gig and wi-fi and I am in heaven. I just hope it happens by no later than MWSF.

FF_productions
Jul 9, 2007, 11:34 AM
I can see a pretty nice price point for these new iPods.

299 to 399 for the touch screen iPod running OS X

499 to 599 for a Phone running OS X

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 11:36 AM
I have no doubt that the next iPod will have many of the same features as the iPhone (not sure it will have wifi, though).

My big question is: will they keep them hard-drive based or will they go with NAND and have the smaller drives like the iPhone?

lord patton
Jul 9, 2007, 11:36 AM
First, Jobs' comment regarding OS X on iPods was not widely overlooked.

Second, why does he think they will not come out until '08? I guess it doesn't matter, since he can pull anything he wants out of his ass.

I think wi-fi on the iPod has been a safe bet ever since their partnering with Google. iPod and YouTube pretty much means the iPod will be the gold-standard portable media player for another couple years.

Ordinarily, I'd say the launch would be a lock for holdiay buying season '07. But with the iPhone not out yet in Europe and Asia, I'm not so sure.

maverick808
Jul 9, 2007, 11:38 AM
2008 seems a long way off for touchscreen based iPods. I can't imagine that their current iPod lines are currently selling well. The last Nano and Shuffle updates were Sept 2006, and the last full iPod updates were Oct 2005! They need updated NOW.

The Red Wolf
Jul 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
The last iPod I had was a Gen2. It lasted for 5 years before the HD failed which was simply amazing. I enjoyed the gray scale screen, it reminded me of the Mac SE I had. A Gen6 iPod with wide screen and iPhone like interface would be wonderful. It would remind me of my current computer. Perhaps a flash based/HD solution: Flash Storage for the OS-X part and HD for the storage of media. That would also make restoring the iPod great without influencing your media files. WiFi I think would be a must. Cross communication via WiFI to "Share" music libraries with others while in proximity would be grand. 299-399 would be a good price range as well.

sjo
Jul 9, 2007, 11:42 AM
it doesn't make much sense for apple to throw development resources to continue development of ipods. there will be memory upgrades and possible new itunes features will be made compatible with existing ipods, but other than that, most development resources will be used to develop new versions of iphones at lower price points that "replace" existing ipods gradually.

Badradio
Jul 9, 2007, 11:43 AM
Second, why does he think they will not come out until '08? I guess it doesn't matter, since he can pull anything he wants out of his ass.

If he guesses early, he's proved wrong when they're released. If he guesses late, an early arrival is down to Apple exceeding expectations.

With the iPhone interface now in the wild, the pressure to get the next generation of iPod out must be intense. 2008 seems too long to me.

TonyBaloney
Jul 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
I dont think Gen6 iPods will be like iPhone at all. They might end up changing it from the Gen5 interface but i think it would it would be a bad marketing move if it was anything like iPhone.

Peace
We already have an OS X based wide screen iPod.It's called the iPhone.Jobs even said "it's the best iPod we've ever made".But I know what folks are referring to.An iPod without the phone.If that's the case they could already have been built and we wouldn't even know it.
NAND Flash memory is going up in storage capacity and down in price.A hard drive is gonna eat up battery life using the great widescreen with coverflow.

As soon as this iPhone hype calms down to a bearable level we might even see it in say..August/September or alongside Leopard in October.

gillilandboy
I would like to see these before x-mas

mklos
Jul 9, 2007, 11:48 AM
Oh I can't wait for this. People expecting an iPhone minus the phone will be very disappointed! I can hear the bitching now!

This will be an iPod with touchcontrols if its even true. I'll bet the farm.

p0intblank
Jul 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
It's pretty safe to say the iPod will be different from now on. After using my dad's iPhone, I want a widescreen iPod so bad. All those theories of the digital click wheel are probably history, especially now that we've been introduced to the "flicking" method, which in my opinion works really well. I was hoping for a release before Christmas, though. Apple will have something iPod related for the holiday sales. They always do...

acrafton
Jul 9, 2007, 11:52 AM
The analyst says they will be released BEFORE or during MWSF. . .they will be out by Christmas. . .

"We believe the iPhone reveals much of what the iPod will soon be. Specifically, we expect Apple to release high capacity iPods based on OS X sometime during or before MacWorld '08 in January," he said.

JonasLondon
Jul 9, 2007, 11:54 AM

I think wi-fi on the iPod has been a safe bet ever since their partnering with Google. iPod and YouTube pretty much means the iPod will be the gold-standard portable media player for another couple years.

Ordinarily, I'd say the launch would be a lock for holdiay buying season '07. But with the iPhone not out yet in Europe and Asia, I'm not so sure.

Exactly, fully agree. Re the "overlooked" thing - it was probably overlooked by some dumb analysts (like those who publish a target price of 120 USD with a BUY recommendation when the share is already trading at 129, oh well...) because it is so obvious, isn't it? Perhaps they were OS X all the time, did anyone check this? Surely they were not runing Symbian or Palm OS ;-)

Anyway, bring them on. And VIDEO DOWNLOADS IN THE UK PLEASE - feed my Apple TV. I'm tired of ripping DVDs. :-)

aidanpendragon
Jul 9, 2007, 11:54 AM

I don't know how saying "Apple will probably release an iPod that's like the iPhone without the phone, and will probably do it by or before January 2008" is any different than the vast consensus on this site - indeed, it may be shaped by it.

Except...

1. He gets paid ($$$?) for it.
2. His job is (presumably) on the line if he's wrong (although you couldn't tell by some of these guys' track records!)

maverick808
Jul 9, 2007, 11:55 AM
Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster[/url] belives that Apple will be focusing on OS X based iPods by Macworld San Francisco 2008.

And in other news today, it was revealed that the sky is blue.

ironeddie
Jul 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
There are millions of people out there who now are familiar with the iphone, want an iphone, but are not willing to switch phone carriers. You have to think that Jobs wants to tap the oh I don't know 60 million or so verizon customers. I want an iphone really bad, but I am unwilling to go back to that nightmare of a wireless carrier now known as AT&T. An iphone minus the phone makes perfect sense. (and hopefully soon!)

Felldownthewell
Jul 9, 2007, 11:57 AM
I can't imagine apple will try to brave the christmas buying season without an iPod update. While I'm sure iPhone sales numbers will be impressive, they certainly won't be close to past Christmas iPod sales, and those sales will take quite a hit if there is no update to the iPod. Last year we had the 5.5g very minor update, which wasn't much, but it surely helped.

I think an OS X based widescreen, multitouch iPod is on the way, but I can't see them waiting until AFTER christmas to release it. However, releasing it now would only canibalize iPhone sales. I predict that they will release it around September, after the back to school promo and iPhone hype is over, with near-immediate availability and price points probably $50-$100 higher than the current model. However, that is just my common sense based approach. Knowing Apple, we probably won't see it until MWSF 08 :rolleyes:

macinfojunkie
Jul 9, 2007, 11:59 AM
It stands to reason that there will be a widescreen ipod with more features than the current models. If that does not happen then Apple's dominance of the MP3 player market will demising since not everyone who wants a mp3/mp4 portable device also wants all the bells and whistles of an iPhone, or even has the financial means to acquire an iPhone.

Ok the iPhone will probably always be the flagship model, if not the one with the largest capacity, but that does not mean that we will not eventually see variations with a reduced feature set. Maybe not a full phone minus call features, but I'd say 80% of the features, say ipod + web browser. It will need to have wifi to compete against rivals which inevitably will introduce wifi services to non-phone mp3 players.

My guess is that once iPhone v1 is fully rolled out in North America and Europe, then you will see iPhone v2 come out. Then a future next gen. Ipod, but maybe not the next immediate release, will basically be an iphone with more storage and no phone features. I'm guessing that this would happen Q2 next year, or sooner depending on actual timings of ipHone release outside NA.

my 2c worth.

Hairball
Jul 9, 2007, 11:59 AM
I have no doubt that the next iPod will have many of the same features as the iPhone (not sure it will have wifi, though).

My big question is: will they keep them hard-drive based or will they go with NAND and have the smaller drives like the iPhone?

Since the price of flash memory is finally coming down, I'm hoping for a flash drive with at least a 40 gig hard drive and a widescreen view.

iSee
Jul 9, 2007, 12:01 PM
And the award for Stating the Obvious goes to...

Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster[/url] belives that Apple will be focusing on OS X based iPods by Macworld San Francisco 2008.

WillMak
Jul 9, 2007, 12:02 PM
This is a great move by apple. What better way to help windows users feel more comfortable to switching to Mac OS X than by giving them a similar feel in the ipods.

dashiel
Jul 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
wifi is a stretch of 6g ipods. it makes the iphone considerably less attractive and apple wants a big piece of the mobile market (1% my ass). not to mention that apple gets a piece of the monthly fee at&t charges.

ipods will gain wifi when the at&t contract ends. wimax will be (more) widespread and the ipod/iphone product lines will merge. the ipod as a media player is at developmental dead-end that's why we now have appleTV and iphone, they're two branches from the ipod tree. over the next 3-5 years the price of the iphone will drop to the $250-$350 price range HD based ipods are now. flash memory will hit the 40-80GBs that micro-drives are at now.

as a consumer when you walk in to an apple store in 2012 you will opt for an ipod or ipod nano (the shuffle will still exist as music only) and either enable of ignore the phone features. apple will probably, in conjunction with google, offer some sort of click-to-call VoIP service that forgoes traditional carriers and will work for 90% of the population. might be free, might be the core of a revamped .mac service. the remaining 10% (business travelers, no network coverage) can select a cell plan from any carrier that works for them.

BoyBach
Jul 9, 2007, 12:07 PM
(How much does this Gene Munster chap get paid to regurgitate this?)

Anyway, a touch screen iPod, a la the iPhone without the internet and phone features, with large storage capacity plus the addition of TV Shows and Movies to the UK iTunes Store would make the consumer side of brain very happy but the frugal side of my brain very unhappy!

gugy
Jul 9, 2007, 12:09 PM
There are millions of people out there who now are familiar with the iphone, want an iphone, but are not willing to switch phone carriers. You have to think that Jobs wants to tap the oh I don't know 60 million or so verizon customers. I want an iphone really bad, but I am unwilling to go back to that nightmare of a wireless carrier now known as AT&T. An iphone minus the phone makes perfect sense. (and hopefully soon!)

I am definitely one of these people. I hate AT&T because their reception and service is horrible here in San Diego. I want the iPhone really bad, but to switch carriers is not worth it. I want to keep my Verizon. Give me an iPod with everything the iPhone has minus the phone and Apple will get my money right away.

tmornini
Jul 9, 2007, 12:11 PM
wifi is a stretch of 6g ipods.

Oh, I think it's highly likely.

Think AppleTV and Airport Express connectivity!

iPod + WiFi is checkmate to competitors in the digital living room space.

Buy AAPL. :-)

nemaslov
Jul 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
Since they are going wide screen for movies and the like, they need to go 120 GB or more. My 80GB is full of music only so a flash based only version would be way to small storage wise!

m-dogg
Jul 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
Bring it on!

I've been holding onto my old 30 GB 3rd gen becauase I don't like the click wheel that's appeared on every generation since. An iPhone-style iPod would be beautiful!

Digital Skunk
Jul 9, 2007, 12:20 PM
I would like to see these before x-mas

YES! AGREED!

lookmark
Jul 9, 2007, 12:22 PM
It's a given.

The only question is when, and how much.

I first thought this holiday, but given the intense focus and attention on the iPhone I'm now less sure. It could well be MWSF/early '08 to maintain the spotlight on (lucrative) iPhone sales.

As for how much -- a lot. They'll almost certainly be high-end models to begin with. Expect $399+ for a high-capacity iPod running OS X.

BlackLilyNinja
Jul 9, 2007, 12:40 PM
..for iPods. The larger screen and wifi with an os make them into a functioning pda. Specially with that keyboard. to be able to use it as a stand alone computer without the chains of cell phone carriers makes it more appealing to me. Plus if they can get iChat av working on it for hotspots that would be even better.
to have all the music/email/im/os computing without the cellphone just make me shiver in anticipation. ...and then we would get them in canada.

i look at it this way. Telecomm/media companies are already bilking you for a bazillion things. You over pay for slow broadband and cell then land line and digital cable etc can easily cost you anywhere between 250-1000 dollars per month. I would like to see a way to integrate without being nickel and dimed for crappy cell plans on top of crappy cable tv plans on top of crappy tiered internet plans when one or two internet devices can do it all.

surferfromuk
Jul 9, 2007, 12:44 PM
Keep Rev 1.0 simple ;

60Gig coverflow Ipod + FULL Safari over WI-FI.

Forget the rest...and I mean NOTHING ELSE.

...Though it should also act as an Apple TV media node, remote controller & keyboard like the iPhone should...Can't believe Apple are missing this trick - it's just so obvious...

Crashmaster
Jul 9, 2007, 12:45 PM
I think that an OSX iPod would be awesome. Coverflow and movies would rock. I can't really get excited about the WiFi though. I don't see much point, yeah you can buy music from the device (maybe) or share music (maybe). I will be excited if it really is EVERYTHING of the iPhone without the phone, for example the Safari, so that the WiFi can be put to good use.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 9, 2007, 12:50 PM
2008 seems a long way off for touchscreen based iPods. I can't imagine that their current iPod lines are currently selling well. The last Nano and Shuffle updates were Sept 2006, and the last full iPod updates were Oct 2005! They need updated NOW.

If I would have to guess, I'd say Jan '08 also though. If I were apple, I'd consider the iPhone an extension of the iPod product line. History shows that when they have a newer iPod out, they milk that for all it's worth through the Holiday season and then anounce updates and new product features in January or February. It's burned me a couple of times. Now I hold off buying until those Jan/Feb announcements. That's when I think we'll see new "true" video iPods.

walangij
Jul 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
Keep Rev 1.0 simple ;

60Gig coverflow Ipod + FULL Safari over WI-FI.

Forget the rest...and I mean NOTHING ELSE.

That in itself would sell, seriously imagine the hype surrounding it. (Probably lines again, but unnecessarily and likely full of ebayers but thats another story.) That would also transform the user experience, you can use your iPod to browse the web and you can use it for your media experiences. Battery life should be good though, like have it so you can turn on/off wifi to save battery life, dim brightness, ect. to save battery. That would be an awesome product. I was playing with the Nokia N800 and it's a great idea and innovative product, fun to play with, but lacks the capacity to hold much media. I'd buy it though, but I'm not going to b/c I'm hoping Apple's new iPod will be similar. I'm absolutely sure that Apple has had their eye on this concept and hopefully the 6G will be it, at a similar price point to the N800, the market and users will be ready for the Apple revolution once again, and there's not many negatives one can point out for a product like this unlike the iPhone.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
hey guys, dont forget, apple isnt stupid... they arent going to release an iPhone w/o the phone capabilities, slap on a hard drive, and then call it an iPod. That so stupid marketing wise that they would lose all focus on the iPhone. Plus, Jobs knows best, give you mac os x, but there will be wifi, but not for ichat or safari, but for new 3rd party apps (w/sdk) and of course he will introduce wireless downloads via itunes at macworld. mark those words. In the mean time, i :apple:my iPhone...

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
I think that an OSX iPod would be awesome. Coverflow and movies would rock. I can't really get excited about the WiFi though. I don't see much point, yeah you can buy music from the device (maybe) or share music (maybe). I will be excited if it really is EVERYTHING of the iPhone without the phone, for example the Safari, so that the WiFi can be put to good use.

I can't imagine them including WiFi and not putting Safari on there, too. Maybe they would, but it would be pretty surprising to me.

cire
Jul 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
okay, my guesses...

We'll see the next gen iPod with a bunch of pda-like apps that will appear on the iPhone as well. I think that :apple: could use the next gen iPods as a testbed for a fully-sandboxed open media/pda platform that could then move into the iPhone 2.0.

I am willing to bet that there is a good chance at a wifi iPod to zuck out zune's oxygen, but we wont see an iPod with wifi until the end of the ATT contract unless they are able to disable all VOIP capability. I think this model would come in at the low end of the iPhone to prevent canabalization.

One last thing, bluetooth (or wifi?) connectivity between the iPod and the iPhone allowing the iPod to serve as a sorta external drive or server. Sounds weird, but with the rumored filesystem for the iPhone, even 8 GB is gonna seem small and I could use an extra 80 GB or so that I could keep out of the way in my backpack, purse or briefcase.

diamond3
Jul 9, 2007, 01:12 PM
I can see a pretty nice price point for these new iPods.

299 to 399 for the touch screen iPod running OS X

499 to 599 for a Phone running OS X

I don't see them raising the price on the ipod. They'll stick to the 249 and 349. Apple doesnt like to raise the price on things. Nevertheless, 249 or 299; Im sure it will be worth it.

walangij
Jul 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
okay, my guesses...

We'll see the next gen iPod with a bunch of pda-like apps that will appear on the iPhone as well. I think that :apple: could use the next gen iPods as a testbed for a fully-sandboxed open media/pda platform that could then move into the iPhone 2.0.

I am willing to bet that there is a good chance at a wifi iPod to zuck out zune's oxygen, but we wont see an iPod with wifi until the end of the ATT contract unless they are able to disable all VOIP capability. I think this model would come in at the low end of the iPhone to prevent canabalization.

Sounds like pretty good guesses. I don't agree with what others are saying about an iPod like the iPhone is stupid marketing. They are different, one is a phone with bells and whistles, one is a media player (currently). People with iPhones will buy the new iPod if it is a great product. People with the new iPod will likely look at the iPhone if the UI of the iPod is so great that they want all their products to have it (assuming it is similar to the iPhone). I think it would be stupid for Apple to worry about the iPod cannibalizing on the iPhone, they should worry about the lack of fleshing out a totally new iPod b/c of the iPhone. The iPod sells, we all know that. The iPhone is really a tough sell especially with a contract where service may not be good at certain places, ect. Where will they make more money at the end of the ATT contract? The iPod. If Apple wants to stay competitive in the cell phone market, they'll have to update their iPhone a lot (software and hardware), if they don't the competition will come up with newer, better phones at lower prices that are also subsidized. Really, who is going to buy a n iPhone in the state it is in currently a year or 2 years from now? Less and less people. I'm sure this will piss of a lot of iPhone 1.0 users, but most of those users will suck up the price and upgrade.

Carrot007
Jul 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
Sounds bad to me.

I won't use itunes to manage my songs and I expect it to play them in the various formats they are in (mostly mp3,ogg and flac).

Yes I have an ipod. I use rockbox on it.

A device such as this is likely very different from current ipods and a rockbox port will probably take a long time to appear, so will liekly be as useless as the iphone is right now.

bilbo--baggins
Jul 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
Unfortunately I still see myself needing 2 devices, an iPhone (for the phone) and an iPod (for the capacity). I guess there will be some occasions where I will want the iPhone and not need the iPod with me, so there will be times when having an iPhone really pays off. For me it won't be the perfect all in one device until it has a phone and large capacity (not going to happen for some time).

Interesting that some people claim to be waiting until a revision iPhone has feature x.

Perhaps I'm too greedy, but I want the iPhone, and then I'll get a better iPhone when one becomes available...

Black Belt
Jul 9, 2007, 01:25 PM
It's been ages since they updated the iPod. The iPod is their major market right now, not iPhones. It would be foolish to not release a killer iPod model. I don't think I am alone in not being enamoured with an all-in-one device. Most people want choice for their phone service and would never go for it if the only way to get an iPod is to get an iPhone. That's a ridiculous idea. The phone is a nice idea, but a more functional and larger capacity iPod (let's start with 120 gigs) would be far better at serving my needs and is really what I want right now. I'd love them to make the photo feature more advanced and let the iPod serve as a place to empty camera cards (jpeg, RAW) while you are on vacation, replacing the need for another device like the Epson P-5000. And I'd expect them to bring the iPod into the 21st century with wireless headphones. White wires are so passe'. :cool:

TonyBaloney
Jul 9, 2007, 01:25 PM
hey guys, dont forget, apple isnt stupid... they arent going to release an iPhone w/o the phone capabilities, slap on a hard drive, and then call it an iPod. That so stupid marketing wise that they would lose all focus on the iPhone. Plus, Jobs knows best, give you mac os x, but there will be wifi, but not for ichat or safari, but for new 3rd party apps (w/sdk) and of course he will introduce wireless downloads via itunes at macworld. mark those words. In the mean time, i :apple:my iPhone...

FINALLY!! Somebody thinks the same as I do!

gugy
Jul 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
I would easily predict once a year iPhone updates and they will have a lower end cheaper iPhone by this time next year.

I think the new iPod will come this Xmas. i don't buy the idea of cannibalizing the iPhone sales. People who want the iPhone will get it. All the other folks that do not want to be tied to AT&T will go after the new iPod. and believe that are a lot of people. So I think both iPhone and iPod can coexist just fine and Apple will just make a killing this Xmas season.

my wish lit for the iPod
4" Widescreen
80gig / 120 gig $299 / $399
touch screen UI just like iPhone
Wi-Fi
;)

Delicious-Apple
Jul 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
Putting Safari on there would be ridiculous in my opinion. I'd use it 24/7 if it was on there BUT; I dont feel Web browsers should be a part of the media center experience. That is something best left to your phone, tablet, computer, organizer thingamajig!

The iPod should focus on music/media features alone!! That includes stuff like: Music, TV, Movies, Games, Podcasts, Radio, Photos, Music Sharing, YouTube, Remote Control Capability etc...

They shouldn't confuse the product lines by adding web functionality and all that stuff. Keep it simple, keep it focused!

Marx55
Jul 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
Hopefully Apple will not lock the appliations that can run on the new OS X-based iPods.

Then we will buy thousands of such iPods for our University if and only if they can be used as a handheld "computer" to give Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. Ideally also wirelessly.

The ultimate ALL IN ONE "computerless" (well not really), wireless presentation remote:

1. Make you presentation on Mac or Windows.

2. Transfer the NATIVE presentation file to the iPod.

3. Boot OS X on the iPod, open Keynote or PowerPoint and use the iPod as the ultimate presentation remote.

WOW!

WillGonz
Jul 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
Love it or hate it. The iPhone is a glimpse of what is to come for the iPod.

jklps
Jul 9, 2007, 01:48 PM
A new iPod with touch screen/coverflow ability would be nice.

The iPhone is awesome, I'm still undecided on getting one because I beat up my phones and like Verizon's service.

But either way 8GB of storage is NOT acceptable for my full time iPod. I think I might need to get an 80gb one soon because my 60 is full so I have to play around to fit things on now:rolleyes:

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
FINALLY!! Somebody thinks the same as I do!

amen brother!

Sounds bad to me.

I won't use itunes to manage my songs and I expect it to play them in the various formats they are in (mostly mp3,ogg and flac).

Yes I have an ipod. I use rockbox on it.

A device such as this is likely very different from current ipods and a rockbox port will probably take a long time to appear, so will liekly be as useless as the iphone is right now.

i bet you dont have an iphone...

ironeddie
Jul 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
Love it or hate it. The iPhone is a glimpse of what is to come for the iPod.

It has to be. Why would Apple spend more money developing a totally different ipod when they can just modify the iphone?

crunchyoyster
Jul 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
Will an iPod with iPhone-like features cannibalize sales of the iPhone? Yes. However, I don't think this is a huge factor. Any missed revenue from the AT&T revenue sharing, would/could be added onto the cost of this new 6G iPod. This wouldn't hurt their 1% mobile market-share goal IMO.

Also, they want to remain the leader in mobile music devices. And, what a better way to keep people using their iPods, than to put Safari and YouTube browsing capabilities on it. The iPhone could soon look like a watered down version of the iPod, with phone capabilities. This is fine, I don't think anyone expects a device such as the iPhone to harness the power a standalone device could.

There are millions of people out there who REFUSE (myself) to switch to AT&T, and want a higher capacity device than the iPhone could ever offer anyway.

brepublican
Jul 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
i bet you dont have an iphone...

The only iPhone I want is an upgraded one. Remove the 'phone' features from it... and voila! 7G iPod! Now that would kick ass!

nimbuscloud
Jul 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
Here are my thoughts:

A G6 iPod will probably be out around October or November. I don't think you'll see it at a conference, it'll have commercials though.

Also, I think it will mainly be an iPod with WiFi. Why WiFi? To help build the need for...SAFARI! Yes, the trojan horse marches again.

I DON'T think that it will have all the apps, if any, that the iPhone has. There has to be a difference. Making it an "iPhone without a phone" is stupid and it WILL hurt them. If they did that, people wouldn't have to sign up with AT&T, they'd just keep their current phone and get the iPod...then the iPhone would die. An iPod with WiFi/Safari is pretty damn good. Music, movies, games, podcasts, the internet...all in your pocket. Not to mention the added interaction with the AppleTV. Apple wants everything to work together.

But the Nano will need a redo also.

:apple:

iMikeT
Jul 9, 2007, 02:18 PM
As great it would be to have an OS X iPod would be, this is nothing more than speculation that warrants no reason to be excited over.

nimbuscloud
Jul 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
As great it would be to have an OS X iPod would be, this is nothing more than speculation that warrants no reason to be excited over.

No, it's GOING to happen. There is no reason for it NOT to happen. Do you think Apple will sit at the current iPod design forever?

crunchyoyster
Jul 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
I agree, adding Wi-Fi will really help "sell" Safari. Also, think that the new iPod will only cannibalize sales of the iPhone in the way that iPod Nanos cannibalize sales of traditional iPods. They will still be two distinct products, albeit not entirely different products. The ultimate goal is still to get as many iWhatevers into the pockets of people worldwide.

ejrizo
Jul 9, 2007, 02:40 PM
I don't see them raising the price on the ipod. They'll stick to the 249 and 349. Apple doesnt like to raise the price on things. Nevertheless, 249 or 299; Im sure it will be worth it.

i may be wrong but i believe they did big time with the ipod photo version... and then started making their way back down...

joemama
Jul 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
It has to happen BEFORE Christmas. THe current iPod line is so old, and dare I say it <boring>. Anything other than widescreen will be met with horrible reviews.

KingofAwesome
Jul 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
Telecomm/media companies are already bilking you for a bazillion things. You over pay for slow broadband and cell then land line and digital cable etc can easily cost you anywhere between 250-1000 dollars per month. I would like to see a way to integrate without being nickel and dimed for crappy cell plans on top of crappy cable tv plans on top of crappy tiered internet plans when one or two internet devices can do it all.

Now hold on a second here. You're saying that your broadband, cell, land line, and cable costs you between $250 and $1000 a month?

I have all that minus the land line and it's a total of just under $180 a month - this either means that a land line would cost me at least $70/month and I've got the absolute cheapest deals possible on everything, or you are grossly exaggerating your figures. And I have a lot of extra cable features.

I agree fundamentally that it would be nice to converge these services down, but the remaining convergence devices are going to have more expensive plans. Furthermore, you're confusing service with hardware.

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 03:14 PM
I DON'T think that it will have all the apps, if any, that the iPhone has. There has to be a difference. Making it an "iPhone without a phone" is stupid and it WILL hurt them.

I actually agree with this. If I bought an iPod that had everything the iPhone does without the phone, the likelihood of me ever buying an iPhone drops significantly.

Apple wants its userbase to buy an iPod AND and iPhone. Making them too similar will discourage that.

But then, you just never know with Apple...

raykhrud
Jul 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
I love my iPod 5G and I wonder how will the new iPod look. It won't have it's most known part - touch wheel. So it won't look like an iPod. And it maybe won't be white. Too bad.

zgh1999
Jul 9, 2007, 03:18 PM
I want a sub $500 ultra portable laptop/PDA from Apple running OS X that has no phone, but has wifi.

ZrSiO4-Zircon
Jul 9, 2007, 03:28 PM
I kinda see the iPhone as a disguised revival of the Apple Newton. IMO it'd be neat to bring back the Newton name, but a name's a name. Whatever.
I think Apple is trying to bring the desktop experience to the uber portable devices. The next iPod might somewhat resemble the Newton in function.

rwdebes
Jul 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
Too many new items! iPhone, OSX iPod, what to buy, what to buy!?

iphone is the only one you can buy.. and its not just iPod with OSX, new imacs, new keyboard,new mouse , news displays , all those are coming.

I kinda see the iPhone as a disguised revival of the Apple Newton. IMO it'd be neat to bring back the Newton name, but a name's a name. Whatever.
I think Apple is trying to bring the desktop experience to the uber portable devices. The next iPod might somewhat resemble the Newton in function.

please ... just lost an oportunity to say somethin smart.

deadkenny
Jul 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
Whatever you say: If they get rid of the click wheel and you can only get a Widescreen Video iPod with Multitouch instead then I will go for the zune.

zedsdead
Jul 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
I really believe that people expecting a simple iPhone without the phone are going to be disappointed. Apple (and AT&T) are going to try to keep those two product lines very different. Yes, it likely will be touchscreen, but I expect it to look different. Remember, many people do not opt for the Video iPods...I believe most by the Nano's, so it should be interesting to see if Apple revamps the whole line.

On a feature request note (a feature I want in the iPhone as well)...we need to be able to playback full SD H.264 files. It is ridiculous that the iPhone cannot playback files larger than 640xN. It would be nice to be able to have one copy a of DVD encoded that works on my iTV, iPhone, and new iPod (which I might not even get if there is not much difference between it and the iPhone).

Clive At Five
Jul 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
I realize this may be unlikely, but I agree that the iPod would be an iPhone minus the Phone. It'd be a blast browsing the net while listening to tunes, while sipping a latte at my local Caribou Coffee (mmm.......... Caribou......).

We've all heard that the iPod is "all about the music" but more recently, the iPod has taken on more of a PMP (portable meadia player) stance rather than just an MP3 player. That being said, a device that played music, videos, browsed mobile YouTube, and surfed the web would be one KILLER PMP.

Besides. If they're stuffing OS X into the thing, they better be using it for more than just CoverFlow and a few licks of Quartz rendering... What a waste that would be...

-Clive

crunchyoyster
Jul 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
Whatever you say: If they get rid of the click wheel and you can only get a Widescreen Video iPod with Multitouch instead then I will go for the zune.

OK? Why?

avigalante
Jul 9, 2007, 03:50 PM
Interesting what these financial analysts come up with:
http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=tnBusinessNews&storyID=2007-07-09T203627Z_01_N09293722_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-APPLE-NANOPHONE-DC.XML

xelphy
Jul 9, 2007, 03:52 PM
Well I have an iPhone and absolutely love it -- and so does everyone I show it off to. And yes, as early adopters we kinda get screwed in a year -- but that comes with the territory.

Someone had written that eventually the iPhone & iPod will merge -- well it already has! The current iPhone and future iPod are stopgaps until the capacity catches up**. I don't think Jobs wants us to have two devices in our pockets... that's ridiculous... ONE device in our pockets, and then a laptop at home (and :apple:TV, maybe an iMac :cool:)

**In terms of capacity, flash memory is marching forward nicely -- it's much faster and especially more stable than HD's, especially in a mobile environment. I can see flash eventually pushing HD's out the door -- and in a few years the iPhone/iPod will have as much memory as the current models do. Who needs a 200GB of storage anyway?

The Nano will replace the old 'bulky' iPod. That's what I do now -- Nano for the gym, car, etc -- iPhone for everyday stuff...

b_eleven
Jul 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
I like my ipod (I have a 40 gb, grayscale - can't remember which gen).
For me the most important features are:

Capacity - I have 60 GB of music alone. I would like to sometimes be able to use lossless or higher quality music and have the storage to do so. Capacity is very important. 8 GB is not enough! Do you think it's possible to have a 60-80 gb flash ipod in the near future at a reasonable price?

Battery life - Very important as there are times you just forget or don't have time to charge the thing.

Features that I might use, but are not critical:

Wifi - Sure it would be fun to surf the internet or share music with others, but not a necessity. (It might be cool to share music that I wrote in Garageband with others)

Connectivity - It might be cool to be able to connect it to TV and be able to watch a movie with other people. (though one would need friends to actually do this)

nimbuscloud
Jul 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
Ok, I have another idea:

There will be two HDD based iPods...one will be an 80 gig, and be the same design as currently but cheaper. The other will be a full touchscreen iPod at 120 gigs. That will give the users a choice, and from that choice...Apple will know if people are ready for touchscreen iPods (like what they did with the iPod Photo). I think they are, but I also think that it's easier to use the current iPod (when working out especially) than the iPhone as an iPod.

The only thing that may slow the iPod's growth down, unfortunately, is the iPhone. It'd be great if the iPod also had a camera built in, wouldn't it?

I'm still curious as to what they will do with the design of the Nano. They have to up the capacity to around 16 gigs, it's time.

nimbuscloud
Jul 9, 2007, 04:02 PM
Well I have an iPhone and absolutely love it -- and so does everyone I show it off to. And yes, as early adopters we kinda get screwed in a year -- but that comes with the territory.

Someone had written that eventually the iPhone & iPod will merge -- well it already has! The current iPhone and future iPod are stopgaps until the capacity catches up**. I don't think Jobs wants us to have two devices in our pockets... that's ridiculous... ONE device in our pockets, and then a laptop at home (and :apple:TV, maybe an iMac :cool:)

Actually, I don't think he minds...as long as both the devices in your pocket has an Apple logo on it. ;)

I kid, I kid!

**In terms of capacity, flash memory is marching forward nicely -- it's much faster and especially more stable than HD's, especially in a mobile environment. I can see flash eventually pushing HD's out the door -- and in a few years the iPhone/iPod will have as much memory as the current models do. Who needs a 200GB of storage anyway?

The Nano will replace the old 'bulky' iPod. That's what I do now -- Nano for the gym, car, etc -- iPhone for everyday stuff...

I agree with you. The Nano is pretty darn nice for the gym. I may actually get one when they refresh it. I don't want to take my iPhone to the gym, and I'd rather use a Nano than my current Shuffle in the gym. But 200 GB of storage is nothing to mock. That's an external HDD right there.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 9, 2007, 04:05 PM
This article gives me some insight in what MacRumors thinks is "soon". Appearently, January 2008 is "soon".

pubwvj
Jul 9, 2007, 04:09 PM
Goodie! I want a handheld Mac that will run virtually all my software as well as being an iPod, address book, calendar, camera, calculator. I don't need a phone. I want a better Palm and if it would also run all my old Palm software that would be fantastic. I'm not looking for Halo or WOW but I would like to be able to run most applications. True MacOS X would be great.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

xelphy
Jul 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
Battery life - Very important as there are times you just forget or don't have time to charge the thing.

I agree but battery life/size doesn't evolve subject to Moore's Law -- I mean considering how much the iPhone does it's almost a miracle that they can A) fit a battery in there and B) that it keeps a charge

Of course it depletes after a year and you need to throw another $100 or whatever at getting it fixed... bummer.

PS: Should this iPhone have more call forwarding features? My friend has some t-mobile phone that has all these 'if-then' statements built in to Call Forwarding... whereas the iPhone's is currently binary..

liberty4all
Jul 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
Yawn, so the new iPod will have WiFi I hear, but can it stream .pls MP3 streams?! Also, why can't the iPhone? Pocket Tunes on Palm Treos do this just fine!

syklee26
Jul 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
i don't see Apple adding wi-fi to iPod. what you are basically saying is that Apple will make a iphone minus phone feature minus 52-72gb for $349. we are talking about $250 for phone features.

Apple isn't that stupid. That will eat up a lot of iPhone buyers.

what is possible, although unlikely, is the addition of RF in order to go along with Apple TV or Macs. it could be bluetooth, but I don't see wi-fi.

it will be just iPod with touchscreen. that's already good enough for $349.

the only way Apple will add wi-fi is by just giving widgets. No web browsers.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 9, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm still curious as to what they will do with the design of the Nano. They have to up the capacity to around 16 gigs, it's time.

I just might get a Nano then...

as for the full sized iPod, it will NOT be an iPhone sans iPod. Apple would be KILLING the sales of the iPhone if they offered the same tech for that much cheeper. No, it will be a natural progression- an iPod as we know it, with vastly updated software. I say, bring it on:cool:

Black Belt
Jul 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
i don't see Apple adding wi-fi to iPod. what you are basically saying is that Apple will make a iphone minus phone feature minus 52-72gb for $349. we are talking about $250 for phone features.

Apple isn't that stupid. That will eat up a lot of iPhone buyers.

what is possible, although unlikely, is the addition of RF in order to go along with Apple TV or Macs. it could be bluetooth, but I don't see wi-fi.

it will be just iPod with touchscreen. that's already good enough for $349.

the only way Apple will add wi-fi is by just giving widgets. No web browsers.

So you are saying that Apple will purposefully cripple a device to extort people to buy another device?

Well we saw how well that worked with Apple TV...about a week. Apple has never had to do that, they used to simply believe in the quality of their products and trust that they would sell themselves. And they did. It is not uncommon to have multiple iPods. Did the Nano cannibalize the large iPod? Of course not. It either brought people into the iPod family sooner because it was more affordable or it gave an enthusiast a better iPod for certain activities in addition to their regular iPod. I don't believe for a minute they lost large iPod sales. Instead it expanded their brand and market share.

If with this new iPod, Apple played to the enthusiasm of users they would be much more successful. I would much rather have a device where I feel "What DOESN'T it do! It does everything every other device does and then goes OVER-THE-TOP and delivers WAY MORE!"

The iPod has felt this way pretty much until now - things have changed, innovation has happened, possibilities have expanded. It would be a shame for Apple to deliver less than what is possible. That is starting to sound like a Zune.

GreasyWeasel
Jul 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
With the introduction of iTunes Plus the need for more storage is only going to increase. I'd be very surprised if the new ipod didn't have at least a 120GB version. However if they do go with the large touchscreen like the iPhone, which I'm sure they will then the battery life could become an issue. I don't think that we are quite there in terms of replacing the HDD with NAND Flash just yet for large capacity.

However has anyone considered a hybrid device that uses both HDD and NAND Flash. That way you could have your 120GB hard disk with all your stuff on it and say a 4GB or 8GB flash for caching purposes. That way any music or video you view often is copied to the flash relatively quickly allowing the hard drive to be turned off until it's needed again. This should increase the battery life fairly significantly over using the HDD all the time.

I'm also not sure that they will introduce wifi into the iPod so quickly after the iPhone. I have a feeling that at this point Apple will want to leave a fairly big dividing line between the iPod and the iPhone. An iPod is for music and video, an iPhone is a limited capacity iPod and a communications/internet device.

JGowan
Jul 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm really looking into these 6g widescreen ipods.
I love the iPhone but the low storage and AT&T are deal breakers for me.

Give me an iPod 6g 5" widescreen, touch-screen Ui, 120 gig and wi-fi and I am in heaven. I just hope it happens by no later than MWSF.I can just hear Steve just before he unveils what you describe: "One more thing... We could've just taken an iPhone and removed all the phone features out and stuck in a big hard drive and they would've sold by the millions. But we wanted to do something else. Something different. Something better.

I give you iPod AV. 2 Million Songs in Your Pocket." ;)

DaBrain
Jul 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
Oh, I think it's highly likely.

Think AppleTV and Airport Express connectivity!

iPod + WiFi is checkmate to competitors in the digital living room space.

Buy AAPL. :-)

WIFi is a MUST for me as I want a portable Internet communicator/iPod all in one. No I don't want a phone nor the $60 a month charge. No WiFi no customer here! Pretty simple. But IM not holding my breath either! :D

DaBrain
Jul 9, 2007, 06:21 PM
I want a sub $500 ultra portable laptop/PDA from Apple running OS X that has no phone, but has wifi.

You said it ALL! Anything else and I don't buy! Can you imagine not having the WiFi ability and as others suggest here, wait for Apple to add WiFi after AT&T agreement runs out! Yeah Right! In 5 years who knows what will be, but one thing is for sure WiFi will be a lot more pervasive then it is now. :)

aspro
Jul 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
I can't wait for a new iPod, my nano can now hold only about half my music library and if the iPod goes widescreen like the iPhone then I will be able to save some money by not getting one of those. :)

zedsdead
Jul 9, 2007, 08:26 PM
I can just hear Steve just before he unveils what you describe: "One more thing... We could've just taken an iPhone and removed all the phone features out and stuck in a big hard drive and they would've sold by the millions. But we wanted to do something else. Something different. Something better.

I give you iPod AV. 2 Million Songs in Your Pocket." ;)

This is something I can see him saying. I feel apple might want to make iPhone buyers also want a new iPod, and storage is not a good enough reason by itself. Maybe an HD 720p iPod?

twoodcc
Jul 9, 2007, 09:06 PM
Well I was hoping that they would be out earlier than that, but better late than never

lord patton
Jul 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
...a device that played music, videos, browsed mobile YouTube, and surfed the web would be one KILLER PMP.

Besides. If they're stuffing OS X into the thing, they better be using it for more than just CoverFlow and a few licks of Quartz rendering... What a waste that would be...

-Clive

I agree. I just can't see this thing not having wifi and YouTube.

rockthecasbah
Jul 9, 2007, 09:43 PM
Please be soon, i can't wait to get rid of my temporary 20GB 4th gen Monochrome for a 6G iPod, i'm ready for the next generation of tech! Hopefully we can ring in the end of the Click Wheel soon!

:)

kalisphoenix
Jul 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
The 8GB my iPhone has wouldn't be a big deal if iTunes converted ALAC -> AAC on the fly like it does with my shuffle :-|

cire
Jul 9, 2007, 11:05 PM
If you have a cell phone and an iPod, then an iPhone makes good sense. I pay $20 more per month than my previous no data plan to support my iPhone...not $60. To not have to carry two devices...to have the phone seamlessly put my ipod on hold, to be able to browse everywhere I have service (none in my laundryroom unfortunately :( ) these are the reasons I have an iPhone.

If you dont want any cellphone (and you are not amish), then what do you want from a media player? Widescreen...coming i think we are agreed. Large storage capacity. In the near term, that means a HD and that kinda precludes a phone since its too bulky and to delicate...I mean, I have already dropped my iPhone three times on concrete. That's as many times as I've dropped my 1st gen iPod in six years.

We're all agreed that OS X is the way to go and that means multitouch as well. Now the question comes what about connectivity? Wifi? Only if it doesn't interfere with the ATT contract so no VOIP. Bluetooth...well as someone said 'Wires are so 20th Century'. (BTW, that would allow stereo bluetooth, since there is no phone) If you have WiFi then you probably have to have Safari. Plus, think of the installed base for safari if every current iPod used Safari...forget about the Windows version to build the base, use iPods.

That leaves an iPhone with HD without a phone and without universal broadband. And then what about the rumored iPhone nano? What part of the iPod line will that stomp over?

Oh yeah...don't forget the 12-Volt car battery we'll have to lug around to power it all :P

crjeong
Jul 9, 2007, 11:29 PM
VOIP obviously wouldn't be an issue since the iPod does not contain a microphone, so they wouldn't have to worry about it crossing over into iPhone territory there.

In regard to the Nano rumour, perhaps the Phone capabilities would simply become a high end spec in the Nano range, converging with the 8gb model?

pieman02
Jul 10, 2007, 12:05 AM
I was kinda hoping for new iPods before Christmas ...oh well, just wait a little longer.

Finally got to play with an iPhone this weekend .... WAY COOL!

That would be nice, but Apple is definitely going to want parents to buy new little iPhones for all their kids...

reallynotnick
Jul 10, 2007, 12:26 AM
The thing is I can't get an iPhone no matter how much I want it because AT&T does not cover here, and even if it did, I refuse to sign a crappy 2 year contract (just ***** ridiculous). So Apple needs to sell me on a new iPod, not a "oh, sorry to hear you can't get an iPhone here is what we threw together on a weekend for people like you iPod".

I want a full widescreen touch screen, with WiFi for Safari, Mail and iChat. Leaving the camera on would be nice but would not be a deal breaker. All for $399. As long as it is 16GB+ I don't really care.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
The thing is I can't get an iPhone no matter how much I want it because AT&T does not cover here, and even if it did, I refuse to sign a crappy 2 year contract (just ***** ridiculous). So Apple needs to sell me on a new iPod, not a "oh, sorry to hear you can't get an iPhone here is what we threw together on a weekend for people like you iPod".

I want a full widescreen touch screen, with WiFi for Safari, Mail and iChat. Leaving the camera on would be nice but would not be a deal breaker. All for $399. As long as it is 16GB+ I don't really care.

You want everything in the iPhone except for a microphone, proximity sensor, and GSM connectivity. You want twice the storage. And you want this for 2/3 the price of the model that (by many accounts) is subsidized by AT&T. Why not also add a VOIP phone?

I'd love to see that also. But it doesn't sound too likely.

headfuzz
Jul 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
VIDEO DOWNLOADS IN THE UK PLEASE - feed my Apple TV. I'm tired of ripping DVDs. :-)

Amen to that ;)

cire
Jul 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
The problem with the microphone is that third parties do make a microphone. Apple would probably have to prevent that or prevent apps from os services necessary for VOIP.

carlgo
Jul 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
Lots of good ideas here. An exciting future for Apple with many possibilities.

My problem, though, is in the expense of connecting. I need a land line for dsl, WiFi is not readily accessable, and cell phone coverage problems are well documented.

That is a whole lot of money to connect to the outside world! Especially if you add cable/satellite tv.

I would think these costs and marginal service must really hamper the sales of phones, Ipods, etc.

What is up with the future of connectivity and what about that supposedly hi-tech communications center Apple bought a few years back? Are they converting that to mini storage and lofts or can we look foreward to a more rational way of linking up?

ajhill
Jul 11, 2007, 01:36 PM
I'm not gonna have to wait in line again am I?

If Jobs is updating the iPod and it's similar to the iPhone they are going to sell a ton of them.

Way to go, Steve!

edgeman
Jul 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4)

Well seems to me that Apple is in the process of buying lots of screens the more to build iPods, iPhones the better, also after selling 700,000 iPhones on a weekend in the US only and no where else means that iPod sales would be through the roof in Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, Pacific Rim countries and anywhere where NO iPhones are able to being sold .... Steve's NO Dummy so I predict that the NEW iPods will be there for the X-Mas Season, with Bluetooth built in & perhaps a Camera, can you say Digital Video as well as Digital Pictures and perhaps Maybe Sattelite Music being sold through the Apple Store as they have just about every artist there already.

peharri
Jul 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
Here's a thought:

The rumoured cut Apple gets from subscriptions for iPhone service:

...maybe this is a way to persuade AT&T (and other partners) that Apple will not undermine iPhone sales by producing a significant competitor to it?

I don't doubt an OS X based iPod is coming, but I suspect this has more to do with standardizing upon a common platform than producing a machine that is an iPhone minus the phone functionality. Standardizing upon a common platform for both iPhone and iPod makes sense as the two platforms have common requirements, and the complicated areas (video codecs, etc) currently have to be maintained for two entirely different architectures. One is always going to be a subset of the other.

I think it's far from a done deal that the next iPods will support Wifi, or Safari. (Bluetooth, yes, but only because BT headsets are seriously beginning to take off.)

Jul 11, 2007, 04:31 PM
True. Unless I can charge with wifi, I might as well plug it in.

Black Belt
Jul 11, 2007, 05:58 PM
The whole "cannibalize" argument is completely absurd. An iPod is not a phone. The sales of the iPhone are miniscule compared to the iPhone. Do you really think Jobs is going to cower before AT&T and let them dictate product development for other devices? Next you'll believe that they'll have to remove wifi from the laptops because people using iChat "cannibalizes" the iPhone. Heck AT&T would love to make iChat illegal. Most everything Apple does can stomp on AT&Ts antiquated revenue model. In a sane world they would simply be another commodity data pipe but they and the other phone companies have been allowed to segment and cripple the pipe (PUBLIC airwaves) so they can extort excess money and squelch competition, colluded by your government officials.

I will gladly buy a new iPod as soon as they are available. The tech they developed for the iPhone is stunning and a huge improvement for media players. I don't see the problem with not having a click wheel. I never found the need to run the thing blind and when I tried, it never worked. I always had to look anyway.

Black Belt
Jul 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
True. Unless I can charge with wifi, I might as well plug it in.

Actually it may not be that far off...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/wireless-0607.html

diamond3
Jul 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
i may be wrong but i believe they did big time with the ipod photo version... and then started making their way back down...

I remember that, however i though the way they came about was they still sold the 4g ipod for the same price and the ipod photo was in a way like a new ipod lineup. Eventually they replace the 4g ipod and only sold the ipod photo at the same price. Does anyone else remember this?

enkadrummer88
Jul 19, 2007, 12:07 AM
It will definitely be wide/fullscreen. It will be OS X based. It may or may not have wifi, I personally doubt it. Whatever it's new features are, it will be all touchscreen. Why not? It makes everything much easier. Afterall, instead of having to push corresponding buttons to manipulate the machine, you can just touch the interface itself. Multi-touch will definitely play a factor and because of this technological breakthrough... the clickwheel will be no more.

acrafton
Jul 19, 2007, 07:24 AM
It will definitely be wide/fullscreen. It will be OS X based. It may or may not have wifi, I personally doubt it. Whatever it's new features are, it will be all touchscreen. Why not? It makes everything much easier. Afterall, instead of having to push corresponding buttons to manipulate the machine, you can just touch the interface itself. Multi-touch will definitely play a factor and because of this technological breakthrough... the clickwheel will be no more.

I totally agree. I think those who insist the clickwheel will stay because "you don't have to look at the device" are missing the point about the VIDEO aspect of the device.. .you are already looking at it because it is VIDEO. The nano's will stay around for those who want music only and want to feel their way around.

rbroady
Jul 19, 2007, 09:25 AM
what about a wifi ipod that can wirelessly stream music from your computer, with the arrival of leopard i can see this happening. and what about itunes downloads from your ipod. theres so many possibilities of whats to come

peharri
Jul 19, 2007, 09:40 AM
I totally agree. I think those who insist the clickwheel will stay because "you don't have to look at the device" are missing the point about the VIDEO aspect of the device.. .you are already looking at it because it is VIDEO. The nano's will stay around for those who want music only and want to feel their way around.

Well, the touchwheel isn't really the way to control the iPod non-visually (it's a good volume control I guess, but everything else you'd use it for requires you to look at the screen. Now, the "Next track/previous/pause" buttons, on the other hand...), but that's a separate issue and the fact that the iPhone interface requires, for the most part, visual interaction is an issue.

It's not as if people who want video and audio aren't going to be mostly listening to music and usually wanting their device to be controllable without looking at it.

One of the major problems with the iPhone that puts me off it right now is that it appears to be a device that requires visual interaction to operate. Just because sometimes I might want to use it to watch movies doesn't change that.

And an iPod that uses the fact that users will occasionally be using it to watch videos as an excuse to remove all possibilities of touch-only interaction is a seriously bad idea. Video may be useful, but it'll certainly (not in the near future at least, probably not ever) be the primary use of an iPod.

RoboCop001
Jul 19, 2007, 10:37 AM
I'm telling you guys, gestures!

Just because it's touchscreen doesn't mean you have to look at it to change the volume, or pause, or skip.

Like I said before... using a sensor of some kind (proximity i guess) it'll know when it's in your pocket. So then the normal volume control bar (like how it is on the iPhone) is inactive and the gestural commands become active.

So... just like the click wheel, you turn your finger in a circle to change the volume. See? You don't even have to look.

And there could be hot corners or hot sides for skip forward/back and play/pause.

I think that would be perfect.

And for those who clip the iPod to your belt or wherever, maybe you're thinking "well the proximity thing won't work on my belt because it's not inside anything". Well then um... I dunno, maybe there could be an option to have the "invisible click wheel gesture thing" to be always on.

See? So there's relatively 0 learning curve. Except for getting used to tapping the sides instead of the sides of a click wheel to pause the music.

And they can always include a remote attached to the earphone wire, like they have on the radio attachment, only it actually comes with the iPod.

Jakintosh™
Jul 19, 2007, 11:30 AM
Hey, if there was Wi-fi, you could transfer songs (unless microsoft wont let them b/c of the zune) with out paying, but only to 5 iPods, and you have to type in your iTMS password like when you do that on a nomal computer.And maybe unprotected songs to any 6G ipod? just wishful thinking, but i'm glad my 5.5G 80GB video stayed top of the line for so long. i dtill have the best ipod! excluding the iPhone...

1dterbeest
Jul 19, 2007, 06:11 PM
i have no use for an ipod, but if you made an ipod with mini-osx and wifi, i'd consider one. I don't like iPhone because of AT&T. I don't want a phone contract with them and I don't want to pay for a data bundle plan. I just want mini-osx on a ipod size touchscreen device.