Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
closeup. Photo with cinema display in link above.

that stand is just so similar its not even funny
isight_anim061303.gif

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Now THAT is intriguing. I wonder of it was really in development all the way back then, or if it was just a very prophetic prop?

Regards,
Gus

morgan-e

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
just a coincidence. if anything it just attests to the practicality of how iSight mounts as opposed to larger webcams (that rest just fine on a bulky CRT but not on more desirable flat-panel). it is kind of neat, although even if i noticed it sitting through all of vanilla sky wouldn't have been worth it.:p

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: iSight in Vanilla Sky!

Originally posted by Mellie
I love that movie!!! I can't believe I didn't see it...now I have to watch it again to find the cam!!:D
Hehe.. I like the part where he is screaming "tech support!" at the top of his lungs... Wouldn't that be just hilarious if you had tech support for your life?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The neat thing about the Vanilla Sky version is that there were many more video links on the Apple display - when we get to do a conference call with iChat/iSight with 10 other people, that will be very nice....

D

testnull

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2002
Chicago
It positively can't be an iSight. You see, the iSight uses crappy stick-on glue to mount to a Cinema display, not an actual mount as pictured there.

(Yes, I'm angry. I've got the iSight mounted to my PowerBook, though. Pity the people who don't have one. And yes, I know MacMice has a stand, but I don't buy from scammers.)

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
i agree. The movie was actually really good in my opinion. It might be one of those films that only people really into film get though. (Film Major)

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
it was a good flick. it's a little unsettling how it starts out over here, but ends up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over there. i came out of the theater and i wasn't sure whether or not i liked the film until weeks later.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by jbomber
it was a good flick. it's a little unsettling how it starts out over here, but ends up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over there. i came out of the theater and i wasn't sure whether or not i liked the film until weeks later.
I was *exactly* the same way. Right afterwards people were like, what did you think? Did you like it? I was like...I need some time to process what I just saw...ask me in a week.

And now that this thread is completely off-topic...

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by LimeLite
I was *exactly* the same way. Right afterwards people were like, what did you think? Did you like it? I was like...I need some time to process what I just saw...ask me in a week.

And now that this thread is completely off-topic...

hehehe, it was kinda touch-and-go right after the movie let out. i think a lot of people were kind of looking around at other people to figure out whether they liked it or not. the filmmakers did a good job - they pushed it about as far as they could without totally taking it over the top.

ianeiloart

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2003
crappy iSight mounts

The iSight mounts are REALLY crappy. With each camera, you get three mounts, one for a laptop, one for a flat screen and one for a CRT.

The laptop mount is actually OK - it is like the one in the film, and has a thumbscrew to secure it to the laptop screen mount. Its removable, of course, otherwise you couldn't close your laptop anymore.

You also get a nice plastic tube to stash the camera. And, you get some plastic bits to secure the camera, mount, and firewire cable.

The crappy bit is that the mounts for a flat screen and for a CRT have sticky pads, which means that once you have the mount on the screen, its going to be hard to remove. You certainly won't be able to use the mount again, and you may damage the screen enclosure.

Worse, although the camera has some flexibility in that it can tilt up and down, and rotate sideways, the amount of movement isn't enough. And. if you don't stick the mount exactly vertically, you can't correct that by adjusting the camera.

And, my Apple monitor doesn't have a flat area to stick the mount on! I've got a 23" cinema display. The surround on the front isn't nearly enough for the sticky pad, and the rear of the monitor is curved. The sticky pad is not flexible. Oh, and the monitor is far too thick for the laptop mount.

So, in all, yes - you can unmount the camera, but no, you can't move the mount.

What I want is an oversized laptop mount for my cinema display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.