PDA

View Full Version : G4 vs G4?

john111
Jul 20, 2003, 02:11 AM
Can someone help me out? I have a dual 450 G4 tower. I am going to buy the 17" PowerBook with a single 1Ghz G4 chip. One gig of RAM will be in each.

I'm using final cut, office, and photoshop. Which computer will be faster all around? The dual 450 or the single 1 ghz?

As long as we are on this topic, if we are just compaing chips, does a dual 500 G4 equal a 1 ghz g4 or is the math different?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Rezet
Jul 20, 2003, 02:19 AM
Powerbook will be faster.
And no, Dual 500 is not equals to 1Ghz.
Duals maybe good for multitasking, but the raw numbers matter more.
If a program correctly built, Usually Dual 500 is equals to maybe Single 750Mhz. (If other attributes remain untouched).
Besides, I believe 17" Pbook has more powerful other stuff.

Even though Laptops are usually slower than towers, I still say 17" will beat Dual 450 Tower at most things.

-Just my opinion.

Rower_CPU
Jul 20, 2003, 03:47 PM
The 17" PB also has DDR memory (albeit not a full implementation), so you've got better memory bandwidth as well.

PB wins hands down.

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 20, 2003, 04:13 PM
The other thing is that the dual 450s are not the even the same processor as the 1 GHz. The 450s are G4s, while the 1 GHz is a G4e. The G4e is a fair amount faster and I'm pretty sure it has Silicon-On-Insulator whereas the 450 doesn't.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 20, 2003, 05:39 PM
usually the most recent is the better one.
PowerBook.

mymemory
Jul 20, 2003, 06:18 PM
Let me put you this way...

I had a dual G4 500 with 320 of ram and a Powerbook G3 500 with 256MB of ram...

For some reason the PB was fater than the dual 500, that is why I exchange the tower for another powerbook g3 500... I'm in to video let me tell you.

Now, if you are going to render stuff your best choice is not having one superpowerfull machine, your best choice is having 2 machines. If you are gonna do a render in a superpowerfull machine it may take you 7 hours for example with the cons that you can no do anything else with that computer under that period of time.

What did I do? I got 3 powerbooks G3 500 for $1000/ $900 and $600 the last one and while one takes 9 hours in doing the same render I can continue to work with the other 2 powerbooks and I can do 2 more extra render for the same ammount of $ that one super computer cost me.

Capish?

With video you need the flexibility con continuing working, that si more important than having one super machine. If you can get the 17" PB good, but get another PB too or get 2 15" or get the 17" and the 12" but getting just one for rendering is not the best choice.

Now, FCP is very fast in any enviroment, if you are gonna use After Effects would be different but it depends on how heavy your work is. If you are gonna do 6 minutes or 10 minutes clips get the 17" only. In my case I have to produce several clips at once that is why my configuration works for me.

Good luck:D